Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

al-azad posted:

And hopefully playable!

Yes! There was a second patch not long ago that fixed the bizarro performance issues. It runs well now. I've played through it a couple times. Very much looking forward to a high def remake of my favorite game. They seem to finally be on the right track. There's a few odd design decisions here and there, but there's still time to iron them out.

Nition posted:

They didn't even try to pretend the limit was for gameplay reasons either:

Broussard is such a dumb rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Twerk from Home posted:

How would you incentive not holding down the trigger all the time? Regenerating ammo? Weapons that overheat, so essentially regenerating ammo on a micro timescale?

Just do it like Overwatch: You have a set amount of ammo per magazine, when it runs out you reload. Where does the ammo come from? Who cares. Why do guns work that way? Who cares.*

*Unless you're gonna include a cool as hell explanation, like Mass Effect 1's guns.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Convex posted:

It's not the Ion Maiden guys if that's what you mean?

edit: yeah, I forgot they renamed it :v:

I knew it wasn't the literal exact same team or people but yeah, that's the one big incident (along with non-FPSes like Cultist Simulator) that's made me pretty gunshy.

Probably go ahead and pick it up at this point since there seems to be no more than the background level, as it were, of potential chudliness. Thanks for the replies!

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I will say I'm amazed we got through a whole page of halo 2 gameplay pros and cons without one mention of jackals

al-azad
May 28, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

Just do it like Overwatch: You have a set amount of ammo per magazine, when it runs out you reload. Where does the ammo come from? Who cares. Why do guns work that way? Who cares.*

*Unless you're gonna include a cool as hell explanation, like Mass Effect 1's guns.

I just now had to look up the in-universe explanation for "thermal clips" and I can't believe how incredibly stupid it is especially considering guns recharged in ME1 just as fast as the reload animation in ME2. They completely hand wave away how a firearm without a thermal clip CAN'T DISCHARGE HEAT AT ALL which means you invented an infinite energy reactor, an invention far more impressive than galactic teleporters.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

John Murdoch posted:

OVW having no ammo limit works imo with the ultra future coolness but also Roadhog just slams a handful of nuts bolts n nails in his gun which tbh should really be in more games

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Nition posted:

On the theme of "later games launch with Halo's weapon limit but don't understand it", Duke Nukem Forever launched with a two weapon limit. They later patched it (only on PC) to four.

They didn't even try to pretend the limit was for gameplay reasons either:

Out of curiosity, what was the first game to implement the now-ubiquitous slow-mo weapon ring selection method?

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

JerryLee posted:

I knew it wasn't the literal exact same team or people but yeah, that's the one big incident (along with non-FPSes like Cultist Simulator) that's made me pretty gunshy.

Probably go ahead and pick it up at this point since there seems to be no more than the background level, as it were, of potential chudliness. Thanks for the replies!

Oh no. What happened with Cultist Simulator? I'm scared to Google it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

Oh no. What happened with Cultist Simulator? I'm scared to Google it.

Alexis Kennedy is a sex pest.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Part of the reason why I haven't played Fallen London in a while even though they've finally updated Ambitions and added other stuff. I know Alexis took a step back from FL but I'm not 100% clear how far.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Pyrolocutus posted:

Part of the reason why I haven't played Fallen London in a while even though they've finally updated Ambitions and added other stuff. I know Alexis took a step back from FL but I'm not 100% clear how far.

FWIW I'm almost positive he just straight up hasn't worked with them since mid-2016.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Lemon-Lime posted:

Out of curiosity, what was the first game to implement the now-ubiquitous slow-mo weapon ring selection method?

Also curious about this.

Arkham Knight did a similar "ring" selection where you could quickly toggle select between the open world side quest mission types. Super intuitive and streamlined - and not followed up by a single developer.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

:ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3D72nuxLMI&t=133s

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

JerryLee posted:

FWIW I'm almost positive he just straight up hasn't worked with them since mid-2016.

yeah, the fallen london people are 100% separate from alexis kennedy now and have been for a bit, so one could support that game and feel pretty confident in themselves. i got the preorder version of cultist sim that gets all the dlc forever but i kind of don't want to play it anymore for obvious reasons. :smith:

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

So, what are your opinions on SiN? I've been meaning to check out SiN Gold on GOG, and since it's on sale for $7.50 I might actually go through with it. Watching Civvie's video on it, it looked pretty fun.

Should I pull the trigger finally?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Grimthwacker posted:

So, what are your opinions on SiN? I've been meaning to check out SiN Gold on GOG, and since it's on sale for $7.50 I might actually go through with it. Watching Civvie's video on it, it looked pretty fun.

Its decently fun. It has a godawful early game stealth mission and caused my computer to hard lock whenever grenades exploded, but its pretty goofy and fun. It just never really is more than competent, and has some weird loose bits all over.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The stealth mission is a lot easier when you realize you can just shoot everyone. The alarm only goes off if they touch the button on the wall and you have tons of time to just blast everyone.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Grimthwacker posted:

Someone spilled Duke3D all over Quake 2.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

al-azad posted:

Someone spilled Duke3D all over Quake 2.

It really feels like what if Duke3d came out on the Quake 2 engine and somebody rushed a knockoff onto the store shelves.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's been around longer than you'd think, but not in not in shooters - it's been a thing since at least...ratchet and clank, maybe?

I guess you could count resistance, since that was basically insomniac reusing the idea, but it may have also appeared earlier in a shooter, I guess it might have been forgotten during the whole 2 weapon thing

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
The new System Shock demo is more updated than I thought. There's a nice level of polish over everything, new soundtrack, few new weapons to mess with (magpulse and the regular pistol instead of just the magnum like in the previous demo). I'd talk about it more buuuuuut unfortunately it's still plagued by some abysmal performance issues. After a certain point it just starts to stutter to the point of unplayability.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

The new System Shock demo is more updated than I thought. There's a nice level of polish over everything, new soundtrack, few new weapons to mess with (magpulse and the regular pistol instead of just the magnum like in the previous demo). I'd talk about it more buuuuuut unfortunately it's still plagued by some abysmal performance issues. After a certain point it just starts to stutter to the point of unplayability.

Have you reported the issue? If not, can you toss me a copy of your DXDIAG and I can send it to the System Shock team. (PM it to me if you don't want your computer specs raw and exposed on the Internet.)

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Rocket Pan posted:

Have you reported the issue? If not, can you toss me a copy of your DXDIAG and I can send it to the System Shock team. (PM it to me if you don't want your computer specs raw and exposed on the Internet.)

Ye I did. I know it's an alpha demo so I'm not too peeved about it. Found a few more glitches too. Grenades like to phase through the floor and explode harmlessly in the void. And that opening video text crawl still doesn't work. I think that's what caused the performance issue, because I tested it again. Video files playing really pisses off the Unreal engine it seems.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

Turok 2 had one but you didn't get slow mo, if that's the kind of ring you're talking about. There might have been one on the amiga or C64 that did it or even a mouse game but I only have vague memories, it's a thing that turns up with control stick inputs.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

This is the performance I get, with a amd 3700x, and a nvidia 1080.

In smaller areas it was 90fps.

It's hard to know if that's actually bad or not. It could be argued it should run at 120fps in my computer. The game is a weird mix of retro and new, tech wise.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Flannelette posted:

Turok 2 had one but you didn't get slow mo, if that's the kind of ring you're talking about.

It had two! There were a lot of guns.

There were two rings and then some slots in the rings held multiple weapons. Guns falling out of every orifice.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Flannelette posted:

Turok 2 had one but you didn't get slow mo, if that's the kind of ring you're talking about. There might have been one on the amiga or C64 that did it or even a mouse game but I only have vague memories, it's a thing that turns up with control stick inputs.

Even ignoring the slowmo, that makes the "there's no way we could put more than two weapons on a controller!" bit from the quote verifiably false.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
The M2 XBLA port had next/previous weapon on the dpad which worked pretty well, and more importantly accurately brings the vanilla behavior of not having weapon hotkeys for some insane reason to console audiences

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Half-Life 2 had also been messing with other weapon selectors in its Xbox port. The concept of having a tiny arsenal strapped to your back in a console game certainly wasn't an unknown quantity.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Goldeneye had lots of guns too but you had to go to the menu or slowly scroll through, Turok 1 had a slightly faster scroll through and I guess they learned from those game for designing Turok 2 to use the control stick for it. Kinda weird that they took a while to do it, it was the start of console fps with a control stick but you notice that there needs to be a better way to pick from lots of weapons quickly.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Flannelette posted:

Goldeneye had lots of guns too but you had to go to the menu or slowly scroll through, Turok 1 had a slightly faster scroll through and I guess they learned from those game for designing Turok 2 to use the control stick for it. Kinda weird that they took a while to do it, it was the start of console fps with a control stick but you notice that there needs to be a better way to pick from lots of weapons quickly.

I feel like picking the right tool for the job was less of a thing in Goldeneye? Like, it has a lot of guns, but most of them are some species of bullet hose. You can quite happily collapse the set into "default" (assault rifle of some description), "stealth" (silenced guns, melee), "rocket launcher" and "tricksy poo poo" (mostly mines).

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
GoldenEye also tended to not actually give you that many weapons at once. You would only really pick up 4 or 5 different weapons in a SP level, and MP grouped them into themed sets.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Kins posted:

This was good! Never played the original.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Flannelette posted:

You could also swap forward AND backwards in goldeneye and dual wield poo poo like a knife and a sniper rifle or a shotgun and a rocket launcher

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

verbal enema posted:

You could also swap forward AND backwards in goldeneye and dual wield poo poo like a knife and a sniper rifle or a shotgun and a rocket launcher

I think the weird dual wielding combos were only doable with a cheat and then exploiting a glitch on top of that though, it wasn't an intended part of the game

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Quake Speedmaps #209 brings you four and a half maps full of Arcane Dimensions-fuelled traps.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Second update for Wrath is out, along with a final release date of Feb 25 2021. Which is longer than I expected.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Okay! Managed to get all the way through the new System Shock remake demo. As the resident System Shock turbo fan freak I'ma tell you what I think about it.

What I loved:

Tone and atmosphere. It's not quite the radical 90's cyberpunk vibe of the original, nor is it the Ridley Scott-esque sci-fi horror of 2. It's somewhere it between and it settles in nicely. There's this great retro futuristic aesthetic to everything with a fantastic cyberpunk coat over it all. Despite the color palette, at least so far, being limited, it still looks great and you don't really notice. I'm sure in the other levels of the station (like the executive level) the colors will pop more. The medical deck looking simultaneously sterile and lifeless and cold and gross was great.

Level layout. Again, they hit the great balance of keeping it all familiar while still putting a neat spin on familliarity. I can run through SS1 with my eyes closed so it was a treat going around each corner and going either "Ah I know there's this specific thing here" and "AH they changed the thing~!"

Moment to moment gameplay. Almost 10 years ago (!!) on page freakin' 2 ToxicFrog described SS1 as being comprised of "tense exploration with frequent, intense, but brief firefights." Night Drive absolutely nailed this. This isn't Doom (old school or otherwise), you aren't locked in a chaotic but elegant dance with enemies, but it's not a survival horror experience either. Like other aspects, it's nice and comfy in the middle. Weapons feel good and punchy and are animated wonderfully (UNF I love the reload animations). Enemies hit hard and you gotta think on your feet. Big John McClane energy in every encounter. It's fun scavenging for ammo and drugs on shelves and looting bodies and feeling around for secret compartments. The crates that pop open have a really satisfying sound effect. Popping cameras to lower the security level is tasty.

What needs some work:

Controls. Okay this is gonna sound bananas but hear me out. I happen to like the original SS1 control scheme. No, Night Dive absolutely should not use it, but they I hope they refine it some more to be generally more player friendly. In this, you have a tool belt and can map inventory items to it identically to Deus Ex. The problem is, because of how intense the aforementioned firefights can be, doing something simple like throwing a grenade and feel clunky as hell unless you map it to, like, 1 or 2. I'm hoping there's a dedicated grenade key and you have to decide which type of grenade is primed and ready. In the original SS1, if I wanted a grenade, it was a simple matter of click on it in my inventory, then throwing it on the game screen. Because of the control layout I can switch between any type of grenade for whatever the situation calls for quickly.

UI. This kind of ties into the controls. The inventory system looks like it's straight from SS2's with Deus Ex's toolbar thrown in. There's a seemingly arbitrary amount of items you can have in a stack, so they build up pretty quickly and take up a lot more space than it feels like they should. Right now there's no efficient way to rearrange the inventory, so obviously that might change, but after Resident Evil 4 there's no point in having inventory tetris without, well, letting the player play inventory tetris.

Nitpicks:

Using the medipatch looks like popping open a makeup case. It looks odd. Again, this might change, but there's anims for THAT but no anims for first aid kits or batteries. I feel like you either gotta have no item use animations or you gotta have animations for all of them.

The minipistol looks kinda goofy in a way I'm not sure is intentional but it's an art direction thing so. Eh!

Grenades. They take too long to throw due to the anim that plays and the physics for them feels slightly off. They never seem to land where I want them to so they'll end up exploding harmlessly out of blast range from a cluster of rampaging mutants about to claw my face/off.

The wire puzzle. I have no idea how this works lmfao I just keep switching poo poo around until it works. v:shobon:v

Anyway that's about it. In a recent stream the devs said cyberspace is going to be in the next update, so I'm really looking forward to how they interpret that. Count me as one of those weirdos who likes the cyberspace segments from the original.

Also I've been considering making a Pro Doom Monster Strats parody for SS1 titled Pro Shock Hacker Strats....

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Also I've been considering making a Pro Doom Monster Strats parody for SS1 titled Pro Shock Hacker Strats....
Please teach us how to run through those corridors without panting and sweating quite so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

The Kins posted:

Please teach us how to run through those corridors without panting and sweating quite so much.

Oh that one's easy. System Shock encourages liberal drug use. See those staminup dermal patches? Yeah you should always have one of those slapped straight onto your forehead. Just put them where ever. Keep using them until your hacker's heart explodes out of his chest. If you run out pop more berserk combat booster patches, take out the lead pipe, and go golfing on some mutant heads since they drop them in abundance. Please consult my visual guide for easy to understand details: