Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I have and have had so many desks in my life and yet almost always end up cross-legged on a floor pillow at my low table, or standing at the bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

e: I have these stools with the little backs because I found I didn't care about having a full back since im not leaning at the bar anyway, but ymmv. I found when I couldn't touch the floor, I didn't push myself back into the seat to need a full back

loving christ you have a lot of money

I just bought one of these, $99 in the blu dot outlet

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 27, 2020

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

I have and have had so many desks in my life and yet almost always end up cross-legged on a floor pillow at my low table, or standing at the bar.

With all the work from home happening I’m in my kitchen working at the table while my wife is on the other end of the house working from our living room with our office being one of the unused rooms between us.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

cheese eats mouse posted:

Welcome to Manhattan apartments. This place is considered large and we're VERY lucky to have 3 closets and a trunk storage.

That's a nice apartment and tbh I was expecting it to be smaller from your description when I looked at the photos.

If you have to have a desk then a fold out one would be a lot more space efficient.. At that point your partner may as well use the dining table as they would have to get their stuff out and pack it away anyway.

I didn't search enough to find a nice looking one but this kind of thing
https://www.goodform.ch/muller-mobelwerkstatten-flatmate-sekretar.html

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Also, depending on the apartment, you might not "need" a desk if the building has the amenities already

My building has a bunch of office space in the common areas so if I need a traditional workspace/desk of some type I can just use that, otherwise it's work from the bar/chair/whatever

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

The Dave posted:

With so little space do you really need a desk or could your wife have good storage for all her school stuff that she brings out and puts on the dining table when being used?

We've been piloting this in our current apartment and we're really on top of each other and hard when I'm working on a call and him also on a call. He's been stuck on the sofa and me at the table. He specifically has asked for his own space to clutter up with his school papers because rn that's what's happening with our dining table. Separate rooms and spaces will help with the cross conversational noise and the different needs we have for our own space. I'm leading calls with our brands and his voice is LOUD.

I'm still flexible with desk options, but I definitely can't fit and don't need a 6 seater dining table. Did a rough sketchup if we went my current route. Kitchen is a little big on this drawing but I'm going off memory.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Also, depending on the apartment, you might not "need" a desk if the building has the amenities already

It's an old mansion brownstone. We got the maid's quarters.

knox_harrington posted:

I didn't search enough to find a nice looking one but this kind of thing
https://www.goodform.ch/muller-mobelwerkstatten-flatmate-sekretar.html

Yep I've been looking at smaller ones like that. My desk is still optional I'm not making any moves until after labor day since my WFH when things are normal are 1-2x a week.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 27, 2020

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Separate rooms and spaces will help with the cross conversational noise and the different needs we have for our own space. I'm leading calls with our brands and his voice is LOUD.

Well if there's a loudness issue and you're both WFH you're going to want the desk in the bedroom rather than going full-on call center in the living room.

e: guess that doesn't work for when you're in bed and needing to keep his stuff on the desk. Personally I think he's going to need to clear his books away.

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 27, 2020

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

actionjackson posted:

loving christ you have a lot of money

I just bought one of these, $99 in the blu dot outlet

I think AI said this best with their decades-old rule:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3920353 posted:

6. HOW DID YOU AFFORD THAT

Anyone who's been here long enough knows that there have been some drat good posters who have the means to own, drive, and post on the internet about cars most of us can only dream about. Realize that in some cases, people either prioritize their spending differently than you do, or they may just have more money than you do. Posting on the internet asking "WHAT THE gently caress DO YOU DO FOR A LIVING" does not change that, but it does work wonders for making sure we don't get threads like that as often.

From what I've seen, PRADA is in the "prioritize their spending differently" category.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

knox_harrington posted:

Well if there's a loudness issue and you're both WFH you're going to want the desk in the bedroom rather than going full-on call center in the living room.

Yea I was going to take the bedroom while he does classes and school stuff in the living room.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Facebook Aunt posted:

I've lived in places where the cabinets didn't go to the ceiling and the gap was bridged by wall. I guess a fake wall? Kinda makes it look like the cabinets are inset into the wall.

Oh, I guess those were soffits and apparently people hate them. https://sebringdesignbuild.com/what-is-a-kitchen-soffit-and-can-i-remove-it/ :shrug:

Furrdown is what I always heard them called. In an 8' ceiling kitchen or bath, you'd furr down a box 1 foot x 1 foot to fix the uppers against, and eliminate the dust, spiders and mouse doo-doo shelf. There are going to be people who hate everything. :shrug:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Jaded Burnout posted:

From what I've seen, PRADA is in the "prioritize their spending differently" category.

no I get that, also I'm kind of in a bad mood atm because my AC broke and I have to replace it

I will say that I own my home, so I also run into expenses he doesn't obviously (flooring, appliances, HVAC...)

I think, adding in the AC/furnace which I'm getting replaced, I'll be racking up about 20K in costs easily from last year into a few years from now that are only things that a homeowner would deal with

on the other hand, I have equity and no dog restrictions :woof:

also I put 20% into my 403(b) so it makes me feel poorer :p

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

:woof:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

also my mother is "emotional" over me selling the table and four chairs... it's like I've had it for nine years and I really don't need anything that big, much less four chairs. all it does is hold junk that I still need to get rid of on craigslist.

vv working hard, thank you!

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 27, 2020

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I just picked up the stool. Also someone mentioned an vinyl chair mat, but that's what I have already. Maybe a 1/4" pile rug with antislip below?

I'm going to get a larger power strip so that light doesn't have to be plugged in over there by the stool as it looks goofy.

What do you think I should do about cord management and the desk position? I was thinking perhaps move the desk and chair away from the wall somewhat, and then I would have space to put in some sort of box to hide the cord plugs somewhat. Then I could move the stool a bit in the same direction so it's centered between the end of the mat and the end of the counter. I could put something like this back there for the cords https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/romma-cable-management-box-with-lid-white-90289836/

also I think if I did want to get a smaller table in the future, something like this would be perfect - https://scandinaviandesigns.com/collections/extension-tables/products/dinex-beta-dining-table

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 27, 2020

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

We've been piloting this in our current apartment and we're really on top of each other and hard when I'm working on a call and him also on a call. He's been stuck on the sofa and me at the table. He specifically has asked for his own space to clutter up with his school papers because rn that's what's happening with our dining table. Separate rooms and spaces will help with the cross conversational noise and the different needs we have for our own space. I'm leading calls with our brands and his voice is LOUD.

I'm still flexible with desk options, but I definitely can't fit and don't need a 6 seater dining table. Did a rough sketchup if we went my current route. Kitchen is a little big on this drawing but I'm going off memory.

It's an old mansion brownstone. We got the maid's quarters.

Yep I've been looking at smaller ones like that. My desk is still optional I'm not making any moves until after labor day since my WFH when things are normal are 1-2x a week.

What about the hallway by the door? If you are both at home then the exit isn't much of an issue, looks like there is space on the floor plan for that pretty awesome fold away desk thing above? It wouldnt look out of place and you are both at opposite ends of the flat.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I missed if you own it sorry, but in our block flats had an oversized cupboard by the door like yours, I know at least 1 person who used it as a tiny office.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Zillow search term of the day is "themed"
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/10720-Hollingsworth-Rd-Kansas-City-KS-66109/75713126_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/262-E-Kestrel-Ln-Kenilworth-UT-84529/126857543_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1180-Mount-Paran-Rd-NW-Atlanta-GA-30327/35913698_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6321-Greatwater-Dr-Windermere-FL-34786/121163122_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/19-Pierce-Ln-Edgartown-MA-02539/56027882_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/448-W-Barry-Ave-Chicago-IL-60657/102963550_zpid/ 1905 mansion that's original except for the basement

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3946-Old-Canton-Rd-Jackson-MS-39216/3052986_zpid/ all poolhouses should be Jimmy Buffett themed imo

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/16005-Cody-St-Overland-Park-KS-66221/126799093_zpid/ I'm honestly surprised I haven't seen more of this type of thing

Going Underground
Jul 7, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

Does the look work? :ohdear:

The subwoofer looks a little out of place in front of the fireplace. Would it fit where the scratching post is?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Going Underground posted:

Would it fit where the scratching post is?

That's actually a butt plug

But yeah it would look better over there

Also, I want to play DnD in that cave basement

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Jaded Burnout posted:

Prada lives in one of the most expensive real estate markets in the country and still has money leftover after rent to buy hundred dollar laundry baskets. They have more money than you.

And that's fine. I wish we had another rich bastard with different taste to balance them out. But then I wish this thread in general wasn't bogged down with tepid modernists who loath the idea of a functional items in a space and think chlorophyll is the only acceptable color.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

there wolf posted:

But then I wish this thread in general wasn't bogged down with tepid modernists who loath the idea of a functional items in a space and think chlorophyll is the only acceptable color.

Hey I'm trying here. Indoctrinating the masses into the glorious Arts & Crafts movement takes time.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

there wolf posted:

Prada lives in one of the most expensive real estate markets in the country and still has money leftover after rent to buy hundred dollar laundry baskets. They have more money than you.

I dunno, I have quite a lot of money.

there wolf posted:

But then I wish this thread in general wasn't bogged down with tepid modernists who loath the idea of a functional items in a space and think chlorophyll is the only acceptable color.

Yes that's my wish too. It's tricky because so much of this subforum is based on (something close to) objective fact, whereas this is the main thread focused on subjective opinion. When people treat their opinions like facts, it causes trouble, with a constant push and pull between the monastic aesthetes and the rugged functionalists, with everyone else caught in the middle getting yelled at for having cat furniture in the area that they spend time with their cats, or, heaven forbid, watching TV.

I think everyone here has something useful to teach others and interesting underlying reasons for making the choices they do, if only they weren't so drat antagonistic about it. I'm not sure what the solution for that is, but I'm doubtful that it's best solved through some kind of top down mod enforcement.

One thing I do know is that literally two threads in all of DIY generate reports, and this is one of them. The other is the 3D printing thread for some reason but I've not figured that one out yet.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Youth Decay posted:

The Zillow search term of the day is "themed"

skeleton bar owns bones

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Youth Decay posted:

Hey I'm trying here. Indoctrinating the masses into the glorious Arts & Crafts movement takes time.

you make this thread live, and it's cool

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Jaded Burnout posted:

you guys should both post salaries, it's the only way to settle this

I will say that having less clutter and stuff in general definitely has been better for my emotional state.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I really enjoy this thread for a couple reasons. The ostensible one, for sure.

Also a glimpse into the psychology of people who want to live Mint In Box enough to sacrifice comfort and convenience even in their most personal spaces on the altar of form every single time.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Also a glimpse into the psychology of people who want to live Mint In Box enough to sacrifice comfort and convenience even in their most personal spaces on the altar of form every single time.

I mean prada's eames chair and poet sofa look pretty comfy to me

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Jaded Burnout posted:

Did you spend it on a racecar bed and that's why you don't have some luxurious furniture to show off?

And I don't expect you to use mod powers to push people around at all. Shutdown people being deliberately offensive or overt trolls making GBS threads up the thread, yes. Bully us all to quit snarking at each other's tastes and dumb opinions, no.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The Bloop posted:

Idk, youth decay posts great stuff and then the only other people who post any content like modernist design; there are then people who just post weaksauce complaints about the modern stuff.

Personally while I certainly have an opinion on what I think looks good I really appreciate other aesthetic styles. I don't like the absence of any style and tbh I think it's appropriate to say that in a thread about interior design.

(admittedly I was a bit of an rear end in a top hat earlier and I accept that)

Anyway to avoid just posting about posting here is my brother's kitchen which I love

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Have you considered changing those blinds out for white ones? You'll basically never be opening them, so it might make sense to get ones that blend into the wall a little better.
Much better, thanks for the suggestion

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 28, 2020

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

The Bloop posted:

Do you want to be good or do you want to be great?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BigFactory posted:

Do you want to be good or do you want to be great?

BUT AT WHAT COST

to be clear, as I said, I'm very interested in the intended content and design poo poo too, and yes, some of the expensive poo poo is both beautiful AND comfortable, but if it was only one or the other I think we know what some people would choose and I find that fascinating

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

knox_harrington posted:

Idk, youth decay posts great stuff and then the only other people who post any content like modernist design; there are then people who just post weaksauce complaints about the modern stuff.

Personally while I certainly have an opinion on what I think looks good I really appreciate other aesthetic styles. I don't like the absence of any style and tbh I think it's appropriate to say that in a thread about interior design.

(admittedly I was a bit of an rear end in a top hat earlier and I accept that)

Anyway to avoid just posting about posting here is my brother's kitchen which I love

I like this, it's a very attractively laid-out and colored kitchen.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I’m the perfectly aligned teacup handles

It looks like a catalog photo to me :swoon:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Confession: I hate neutrals.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I guess beige is okay, in small doses. But growing up in the 70s and 80s in no way prepared me to live in a sea of grey.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Josh Lyman posted:

I’m the perfectly aligned teacup handles

It looks like a catalog photo to me :swoon:

I'm the attractively contrasting fruit

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

knox_harrington posted:

I dislike this somehow. I think it's the paint perfectly matching the cabinetry.

Is that a recirculating vent? Does it work well for him?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

actionjackson posted:

I dislike this somehow. I think it's the paint perfectly matching the cabinetry.

Is that a recirculating vent? Does it work well for him?
I was trying to figure out the cabinets and it looks like there's a ventway on the wall going up, so guessing no.

Also I didn't want to poo poo on it but dislike. I have no style either so what do I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It looks like a kitchen for rendering and 3D printing food