Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016
https://twitter.com/trekonlinegame/status/1264945780093141001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

tbh i just assumed it was some new skill they added that made poo poo bounce around like assholes

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016
Coming soon:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Playable Kobayashi Maru? Been a while since we got a Tuffli-type cargo ship, which is the only thing that makes sense to me.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I wonder if it's a T6 ship or a T1/2 like the old freighters. Either way that's quite a reward for a 14-day event.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Am I the only one that expects a shuttle?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Shuttle gameplay has basically been abandoned for years since it kind of sucks, so yeah you probably are. :v:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
My equipped shuttle is still an Aeon shuttle from when those were first released and I think some of the gear on it is still Mk 11.

It will never be upgraded because "why?".

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FuturePastNow posted:

I wonder if it's a T6 ship or a T1/2 like the old freighters. Either way that's quite a reward for a 14-day event.

Yeah, I was expecting the next campaign event to be the summer event being folded into it. What would a t6 freighter even look like, in stats and mechanics?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Cythereal posted:

What would a t6 freighter even look like, in stats and mechanics?

2 fore, 2 aft weapons (or 3,3 seriously)

1 tac console, 1 sci, 9 engineering

Special console: distress signal - calls in hero level back up ships that stay with you until map move. (could probably use the same code as the backup in measure of morality pt2)

Instead of a special trait, you'd get the full social zone suite for the bridge: tailor, exchange, merchant, mail, bank, dabo, shipyard/engineer/ship customization, trader, security officer, etc.

Really, they could just copy the Amarie bridge map and place more npcs/terminals as needed.

What would be extra cool is if they made it so that as long as this freighter is in your active ships (not drydock) you could just go to its bridge from your menu even while actively flying something else, like add another option to the "go to bridge, go to shuttle bridge" part of the menu. Go to freighter bridge.

I could see requiring you to master the ship to unlock this, so it would be a little bit like a trait that way

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, I was expecting the next campaign event to be the summer event being folded into it. What would a t6 freighter even look like, in stats and mechanics?

Probably a lot like the old freighters in terms of being fundamentally T1 garbage ships only with handy functions available by accessing their unique bridges.

If that's the case you'll want to open them on an alt that doesn't need to change ships because they are barely worthy of running starter mission content.

T6 specifically? Probably higher base stats than the old ones, likely still trash apart from the unique mechanics. Though since the old ones were tied into the doffing system... yeah, good question.

Probably nothing that will displace the Cell Ship. Then again I have no idea how one gets a Cell Ship these days. Don't even remember how I got mine :psyduck:

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 13:40 on May 27, 2020

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Stats for the freighter have made it to reddit.

Looks like it's only for the extra functions, not as a real combat ship at all.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hunter Noventa posted:

Stats for the freighter have made it to reddit.

Looks like it's only for the extra functions, not as a real combat ship at all.

Yeah, it's a freighter. A bit stronger than a Tuffli or Cell Ship, I think, but you won't be taking it into combat except to troll pubbies (and do higher dps than their scimitars). With doffing gutted, I don't really see a point to this thing.

Eh, guess it's another ship for the collection and another admiralty card.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It's more an admiralty card that happens to come with a bonus ship really.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Cythereal posted:

troll pubbies (and do higher dps than their scimitars).

That's reason enough for me tbh.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Is there a way to quantify DPS in a group?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Statutory Ape posted:

Is there a way to quantify DPS in a group?

Zooming around and blowing up spawns before anyone else can get there?

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

There's a couple of combat log parsers out there last I checked. Look up the sto dps league, they had links to it

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Error 404 posted:

Zooming around and blowing up spawns before anyone else can get there?

That is literally what I've been doing and I get there so much faster I was worried I was doing the instances wrong somehow

....wtf takes these people so long to engage

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Do you have weapon power at 100? Do you have tac consoles that match your weapons? Do all your weapons share at least one firing arc? Congrats, you're well ahead of most players and overqualified for most content.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

lol tbh im just rolling around in a complete stock jem hadar starter ship and idk that anybody seems to be doign any better.

some people seem distinctly bad at pushing the buttons to heal themselves though lmao

i really like flying that thing actually. it looks cool and i always thought they were neat on the show

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Mondian posted:

There's a couple of combat log parsers out there last I checked. Look up the sto dps league, they had links to it

I play on console and so there's no parsing for me (I'm mostly space barbie so dps chasing isnt my thing anyway)

That said, I've heard about a method where you time yourself in the Japori Elite patrol and (a little math later) you can figure out a rough ballpark of your dps, but I've never done it so w/e.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Asimo posted:

Do you have weapon power at 100? Do you have tac consoles that match your weapons? Do all your weapons share at least one firing arc? Congrats, you're well ahead of most players and overqualified for most content.
Now combine that with boff skills that actually help you and a macro that keeps them up as much as possible*. Now you can do all end-game space content and will probably finish normal-difficulty mission battles before you even see what's going on.

*Bonus points if you have some method to reduce the global cooldown.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

g0del posted:

Now combine that with boff skills that actually help you and a macro that keeps them up as much as possible*. Now you can do all end-game space content and will probably finish normal-difficulty mission battles before you even see what's going on.

*Bonus points if you have some method to reduce the global cooldown.

Yeah, its actually been kinda kickass, as I said I'm no dps chaser my end goal has been p much do "good enough to not be a drag" dps and look good doing it. And so I've got my little defiant humming along in a good basic build, Following the build guidelines you guys have mentioned, my poo poo is rep or mission gear*, all mark XV (nothing gold except one dhc that hit it on a phoenix upgrade while getting to XV) and bog loving standard A2B.

I pretty much loving melt advanced and lower poo poo and I know I'm a mediocre pilot at best. Holy gently caress these pubbies really are that bad.

*the only fancy $$$ console I have is hull image refractors and that was a gift from a fleetmate, but duuuudes its good as gently caress imo.

Space Hero Keith
Sep 26, 2015

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, it's a freighter. A bit stronger than a Tuffli or Cell Ship, I think, but you won't be taking it into combat except to troll pubbies (and do higher dps than their scimitars). With doffing gutted, I don't really see a point to this thing.

Eh, guess it's another ship for the collection and another admiralty card.

That sounds about right, yeah.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Cythereal posted:

(and do higher dps than their scimitars)

I fly a khopesh, I'll have you know

I also just realized about a week ago that the 360° turrets in my rear slots are cannons and not beam weapons; I use the 250° beam arrays in my front slots, because I'm garbage at keeping things in the 180° frontal arc, but can generally manage to not have the enemies directly behind me. So, I've been using mixed weapons this whole drat time.

Looking at the wiki, I can apparently only slot two omni-arrays, one has to be a from a set and the other not. I guess I can cram a torp launcher into my third rear slot to actually use the khopesh's starship trait. I'm a spacepoor, so it's not like I'll be picking up any other starship traits anytime soon.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Could also just use the borg kinetic beam for maximum lazy (the best option)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, generally the advice for 5/3 is two omnis and a cutting beam in the back. The cutting beam + borg console set bonus is nice enough to make it worth it even still.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Is there a resource for macro making? Ive been keeping my abilities up manually by basically putting them 1-6 and just mashing that region of the keyboard bc i determined that what they actually buff is largely irrelevant

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Statutory Ape posted:

Is there a resource for macro making? Ive been keeping my abilities up manually by basically putting them 1-6 and just mashing that region of the keyboard bc i determined that what they actually buff is largely irrelevant

The wesley wiki (RIP) had a guide for a spacebar macro that I'll recreate here.

1. Make .txt file in notepad, name it spacebarmacro.
2. Copy this text to the file:
code:
Space "GenSendMessage HUD_Root Firephaserstorps$$+power_exec Distribute_Shields$$+TrayExecByTray 9 0$$+TrayExecByTray 9 1$$+TrayExecByTray 9 2$$+TrayExecByTray 9 3$$+TrayExecByTray 9 4$$+TrayExecByTray 9 5$$+TrayExecByTray 9 6$$+TrayExecByTray 9 7$$+TrayExecByTray 9 8$$+TrayExecByTray 9 9"
3. Put the file in folder [path]\Star Trek Online\Live\
4. Login, be in space, and type:
code:
/ui_load_file spacebarmacro.txt
5. Put whatever abilities you want to faceroll into your 10th action bar. If you want to get fancy, they generally activate from right to left, even though the order in the macro is left to right.
6. Mash spacebar in combat. In addition to using the 10th bar abiliities, this will also set all your guns and torps to auto-fire and try to keep your shields balanced.

e: Also, the obligatory wesley tanking guide:

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 13:29 on May 28, 2020

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Hello Sailor posted:

code:
Space "GenSendMessage HUD_Root Firephaserstorps$$+power_exec Distribute_Shields$$+TrayExecByTray 9 0$$+TrayExecByTray 9 1$$+TrayExecByTray 9 2$$+TrayExecByTray 9 3$$+TrayExecByTray 9 4$$+TrayExecByTray 9 5$$+TrayExecByTray 9 6$$+TrayExecByTray 9 7$$+TrayExecByTray 9 8$$+TrayExecByTray 9 9"
3. Put the file in folder [path]\Star Trek Online\Live\
4. Login, be in space, and type:
code:
/ui_load_file spacebarmacro.txt
5. Put whatever abilities you want to faceroll into your 10th action bar. If you want to get fancy, they generally activate from right to left, even though the order in the macro is left to right.
6. Mash spacebar in combat. In addition to using the 10th bar abiliities, this will also set all your guns and torps to auto-fire and try to keep your shields balanced.

tyvm

idk why i endeavor to make this easy cartoon game even easier tbh.. probably so i can just focus on looking at the lasers and my ship

Space Hero Keith
Sep 26, 2015
1. Add this to the [path]\Star Trek Online\Live\localdata\CommandAliases.txt file:
code:
alias _TB "+TrayExecByTrayWithBackup {}"
alias _TRAY "_TB {} 1 {} 3 $$_TB {} 5 {} 7 $$_TB {} 9 {} 8 $$_TB {} 6 {} 4 $$_TB {} 2 {} 0"
2. Add this to the [path]\Star Trek Online\Live\keybinds.txt file:
code:
Space "GenSendMessage HUD_Root FireAll $$ _TRAY 1 $$ _TRAY 2 $$ _TRAY 3 $$ _TRAY 4 $$ _TRAY 5 $$ _TRAY 6 $$ _TRAY 7 $$ _TRAY 8 $$ _TRAY 9"
Alt+L "bind_load_file keybinds.txt"
3. Once in-game, type:
code:
/bind_load_file keybinds.txt
That will set up the spacebar to fire weapons and activate trays 2-10, leaving tray 1 for things you still want to activate manually. It also binds the Alt+L key to reload the keybind file, which is useful if you plan to make changes to it in the future.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

btw, i removed all the threat generation things i could from my hotbar- i assume that im following the guide correctly

ty

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Apparently early on in TNG development they were going to have Patrick Stuart wear a wig/toupee.

E2A: So speedrunning Red Alerts is laffo right now. Everyone and their alts are doing the Borg one because you can dps the gently caress out of everything and be done in about 2-3 minutes. 720 dil per run, as fast as you can click that join TFO button and each run is giving enough ship trait XP that I finished the T5 part on several ships in 2 go arounds. The buyout for the event reward is 1000 Zen. Current DilEx exchange rate puts this at about 390,000 dil equivalent. I don't upgrade things often enough to know if this is a good value or what given the RNG nature of the system but Cryptic being Cryptic probably puts this in the not-a-good-deal end of the spectrum.

MREBoy fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 29, 2020

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Hello Sailor posted:

code:

Take out the distribute shields command. It screws with weapon cycles and lowers dps*. And in any actual difficult content your shields will be going down faster than they can be distributed anyway.
Technically the command to fire all weapons also screws with firing cycles, so you're chasing ultimate deeps it should be moved to it's own separate keybind that you only press once to start combat (after that the game should keep auto-shooting). But that's starting to get deeply tryhard in a game that's largely about annoying people by wearing formal wear at the beach.

There's an app to let you put together complicated keybinds for the game here but I haven't used it and can't vouch for it myself.

*Probably not as much as the constant lag does, however.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

MREBoy posted:

Apparently early on in TNG development they were going to have Patrick Stuart wear a wig/toupee.

He's also said in an interview that they were intending for him to have a French accent, but when he tried, it kept coming out sounding like Inspector Clouseau.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

g0del posted:

Take out the distribute shields command. It screws with weapon cycles and lowers dps

This is a very, very important bit of advice. No joke.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It does more than screw with weapon cycles, it counts as a power activation and can royally gently caress up your actual power uses, delaying them or making them fail or just going on cooldown but not actually buffing you. Definitely don't put it ob your power tray macro.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Ok yeah that is solid advice also if you don't let your ship eat poo poo to make things interesting idk what to say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

MREBoy posted: