Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

just saying i called it, that americans wouldnt wear masks because “theyre for pussies”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

brazil is going to absolutely crush the us in the death count, even if most of the numbers end up fudged

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I just realized that around Halloween, we're going to start getting "your Halloween mask does not protect you from COVID-19" stories as the first story after the back-to-school wave and before the holiday wave

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Gio posted:

just saying i called it, that americans wouldnt wear masks because “theyre for pussies”

https://twitter.com/rosannecash/status/1265324602848411648?s=20

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

coke posted:

is regular pneumonia that contagious? and isn't this a sign that no one really bothered with lock down since the lock down supposed to help even with something as minor as the seasonal flu that was seen in australia

pneumonia isn't contagious is just the term for when your lung tissue becomes inflamed and swells with fluid due to damage from some cause

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

Bar Ran Dun posted:

just saw the police break up a bunch (like 50+) of people that decided to go party down by a river together. WA is the only place that has a shot.

lol, wa does not in fact, have a shot. daycare opens on June 1st. most places in the burb south of tac town are under 20% mask when I went shopping Thursday.i stocked up, wa hosed

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/tzvizucker/status/1265728158554304513?s=21

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

This poo poo’s just gonna get worse and worse

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I was able to score some legit masks on amazon because people were returning them after finding out they're manufactured in Wuhan.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086KMYNSS

quote:

Made in Wuhan, China. Fast shipping, but hestitant to use as these were made in Wuhan, China the epicenter of COVID-19. Will likely be returning these.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://twitter.com/rosannecash/status/1265432427796848647

"Green Hills is one of Nashville's most affluent areas, often chosen by residents who don't wish a long commute to downtown businesses and three area universities – Vanderbilt, Belmont and Lipscomb Universities (all of which are within a five-minute drive)." from the wiki article

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

didn't realize this was johnny cash's granddaughter lmao

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

galenanorth posted:

https://twitter.com/rosannecash/status/1265432427796848647

"Green Hills is one of Nashville's most affluent areas, often chosen by residents who don't wish a long commute to downtown businesses and three area universities – Vanderbilt, Belmont and Lipscomb Universities (all of which are within a five-minute drive)." from the wiki article

i wouldn't have expected this at the Green Hills Kroger. might have to go there tomorrow and see if i can get yelled at

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020

lol i harbor desperate lockin fantasies of confronting my rl enemies on the battlefield but in practice when the uber driver is all like openerup im like yah the streets r pretty empty & drop it

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
but like rlly bro i dont need to wear this mask im trying to make u feel better u weird albanian halfwit

goddam im gonna say that next time for sure

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

sorry I care about your family more than you do

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

rump buttman posted:

lol, wa does not in fact, have a shot. daycare opens on June 1st. most places in the burb south of tac town are under 20% mask when I went shopping Thursday.i stocked up, wa hosed

grocery has been pretty bad the whole time. I had to switch to curbside pickup three weeks ago. I just couldn’t do it anymore. drug store runs for medicines / diapers I’m seeing like 75% masked. deaths per day in king peaked in the mid to high twenties, and have been low single digits for a while now. nobody is wearing masks outside, but everybody is staying away from everybody else.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Bar Ran Dun posted:

just saw the police break up a bunch (like 50+) of people that decided to go party down by a river together. WA is the only place that has a shot.

WA here (South King County). I'm an essential employee who can't work remote so I've been traveling back and forth between home and the office this entire time. The traffic report from today is just as light as it has been, I think people in this area are still staying in if they can. The only restaurants with huge lines are the drive-thru places like McDonald's; take out restaurants aren't crowded at all and people are doing real well with the 6' rule. Still not a lot of masks which is concerning, but the crowds are thankfully thin enough that we might be able to get away with that for longer than other places could.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

Number 1 cause of pneumonia is aspiration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsQAXx_ao0

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
note for all non-medical goons who don't know the jargon: aspiration is the medical term for eating rear end.

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

Admiral Ray posted:

note for all non-medical goons who don't know the jargon: aspiration is the medical term for eating rear end.

will whip creaming the bhole pre rear end eating prevent this?

peepeepants
Oct 9, 2001

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

lmao, just the last 4 months FLA is almost 2 times their 3 year ANNUAL average of Pneumonia deaths.

source

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
goddam if i gotta get pneumonia i hope i aspirate

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

deaths all time high in sc today :cheerdoge:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

kaleedity posted:

deaths all time high in sc today :cheerdoge:

you call what they do in SC living?

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

peepeepants posted:

lmao, just the last 4 months FLA is almost 2 times their 3 year ANNUAL average of Pneumonia deaths.

source

Thank God we opened er up

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

what state will have the first Republican politician call to ban masks because the Black Lives Matter protesters in Minnesota all were wearing them

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

FizFashizzle posted:

you call what they do in SC living?

pretty sure the dying's going along fine sah

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy

Gio posted:

ok gently caress it im making a wife post

first off my wife shares pretty much identical political views and we’ve been very cautious throughout this pandemic.

however, given the fact that we beat the coronavirus and everyone is out celebrating the end of the coronavirus (evidenced by pictures itt), she feels weird—at a minimum—that we’re “the only ones” getting our groceries delivered.

now i dont give a gently caress. ill go the grocery store. ive gone into stores and had to go into my school to clean out the kids desks and take my posters off the walls. im not that much of a hypochondriac. i know the odds are if i get it ill beat it and im almost certainly gonna get it eventually.

so i dgaf about getting groceries partly bc i *probably* wont get it, but also bc im just increasingly blackpilled and am sick and tired of feeling crazy for simply being cautious and not pretending like things are normal/having the dumb guy attitude of “well if i get it i get it.”

my rationale is, why even risk it? getting groceries delivered is comparatively more expensive, but we’ve dramatically cut our spending (amazing how much restaurant and bar tabs add up), so the only reason to go is bc of blackpilled peer pressure. she insists im not being rational, and says all the infectious disease experts say grocery shopping is “extremely low risk,” which i think she’s conflating with surface exposure. i told her i dont give a poo poo, lets go, but honestly—why?

she kinda loving hates my contrarian attitude and i get it contrarians are annoying as poo poo.

(aside from covid, i love having groceries delivered. grocery shopping is bar none one of my most loathed activities. cant loving stand it. unless its like a trip to a specialty market or farmers market with a huge variety of great produce.)

this whole world is making me feel loving insane. i dont know maybe i am!!

remember that a 2nd/3rd wave of the virus will hit so continuing to do what you're doing will help you keep good habits when things worsen again (they absolutely will)

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020

Yesh posted:

remember that a 2nd/3rd wave of the virus will hit so continuing to do what you're doing will help you keep good habits when things worsen again (they absolutely will)

yesh

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Atrocious Joe posted:

what state will have the first Republican politician call to ban masks because the Black Lives Matter protesters in Minnesota all were wearing them

Blm tends to have the biggest protests in democratic towns, because well, voter preferences. So it'll be Klobuchar or someone who calls for this

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
We're easily gonna hit 200,000 official reported deaths by the end of July, maybe even sooner.

Nevermind the undercounting. We'll probably be at an unofficial 200,000 deaths before June is even done.

coke
Jul 12, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

Pneumonia is rarely a thing on its own. It is the result of a thing.

Number 1 cause of pneumonia is aspiration. meaning someone breathes something into their lungs and are unable for one reason or another to get it out. It sits there, causes an infection, boom pneumonia. Number one killer of people in hospitals is pneumonia. We even define how it was caused: Community acquired, hospital acquired, ventilator acquired, etc.

Other things cause pneumonia. Flu, if it gets bad enough, can cause pneumonia. Some opportunistic pathogen can take advantage of weakened lung parenchyma and just go hog wild. Same with bronchitis. Same with cystic fibrosis. In CF patients are just spewing mucous everywhere and it's very easy for PSA to go "hey this place looks nice" and boom you're toast.

Luckily the lungs can oxygenate like 135% of a human so you can lose some tissue and area of gas exchange and still be fine. Some of it grows back. If you had pneumonia as a baby, you probably have patches in your lungs that are basically scar tissue.

ARDS is when the inflammatory processes of the body go pear shape and things get out of control in and around the lungs. Part of the inflammatory process is fluid coming in, which contains leukocytes and poo poo as well as inflammatory mediators which bring in more fluid etc. Why this is so bad is it COLLAPSES the alveoli (not pop them) which stops them from being able to conduct gas exchange.

The alveoli have two kinds of cells. One is where the gas exchange takes place, the other produces something called surfactant. surfactant is a bipolar substance which stops fluid from naturally crushing the small alveoli; keeps the water molecules spread out. Covid19 specifically attacks the cells which produce surfactant.

Once the alveoli collapse and the cells die, the virus spreads out and infects other type 2 alveolar cells. the immune response brings in fluid, which causes more strain on the alveoli. covid19 destroys more type two alveolar cells, decreasing the amount of surfactant. more cells die. more immune response. more pressure on the type 2 cells, which are being destroyed by covid19.....

see how that gets bad so fast?

thanks for the post, seems like burying head in sand and ignore the death during a highly contagious disease pandemic is just going to make it worse

but what do i know im not an economist

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

euphronius posted:

social distancing discipline is in free fall from what I’ve seen at the super market

I'm home from work and what scant optimism I had left has been completely annihilated by my first night at work since the first half of March

let me gripe a bit first about the work conditions. We're running at roughly 50%-66% capacity with tables greatly distanced from each other, and we had roughly I don't know I couldn't keep track because i was overwhelmed, 30-40 tables tonight altogether between the dining room, the bar, and the outdoors patio. A night like that I'm slacking off and joking with coworkers and browsing on my phone. But because of all the extra crap we have to do I was constantly busting my rear end trying to keep up with everything, and the mask on top of that tanked the hell out of my oxygen, and on top of that I'm out of shape after 2 months at home. I'm worn out, I feel like I do after working an ultrajammed Friday.

Our clientele tonight were extra bad. Just nonstop streams of white trash: 50% arrogant idiot 20somethings who just NEEDED to MAKEUP and get their GLAM on and go OUT like a REAL PERSON for ONCE, 50% shriveled boomers who were emanating visible joy at being waited upon hand and foot again by their wageslaves. Almost none of our regulars showed tonight, the ones that did were the barflies who hang out and talk up our bartenders and the owner. Tipping was meager.

What worries me is how completely blase the customers were about it. Not a single sit-down customer brought a mask. Only two of our take-out customers showed up wearing a mask. One boomer grandma was wearing a hoodie emblazoned with "RELAX" in large font. I'm pretty sure I saw her coming in as a customer the night before we shutdown back in March. Making this worse is that we (the employees) were basically not observing social distancing one single bit. With the customers, yes, but not with each other. Plenty of people took off their masks occasionally to breathe (while adjacent to other employees!) or just to talk to each other. Lots of face-touching. At the end of the night after shutting down and cleaning the entire restaurant, we usually sit at the bar, have our meals and drinks, and talk. I was the only one tonight keeping a distance while everyone was just sitting blah blahing to each other. Just surreal. We go to all this trouble to disinfect everything, we use tongs for straws and poo poo, we switched to disposable baskets for chips... etc etc etc. And then after all of that we all just sit and gabble like nothing happened.

Judging from what I've seen tonight, and this is in an actually fairly conscientious place judging from other anecdata I've been picking up, I am convinced that we as a country have done absolutely loving nothing to reduce the max spread of this virus. Not one single thing. At best we've slowed it down several months, but COVID-19 is going to hit every single last person in this country that it would've hit in the first place if we had taken the Sweden route.

Embarrassing. So many completely unnecessary deaths, so easily prevented.

Oh for gently caress's sake.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

rump buttman posted:

will whip creaming the bhole pre rear end eating prevent this?

No

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/BreakingNAlerts/status/1265840879983636481

Don't know where else to post this, they've been pretty reliable before. I didn't see it mentioned anywhere else

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm home from work and what scant optimism I had left has been completely annihilated by my first night at work since the first half of March

let me gripe a bit first about the work conditions. We're running at roughly 50%-66% capacity with tables greatly distanced from each other, and we had roughly I don't know I couldn't keep track because i was overwhelmed, 30-40 tables tonight altogether between the dining room, the bar, and the outdoors patio. A night like that I'm slacking off and joking with coworkers and browsing on my phone. But because of all the extra crap we have to do I was constantly busting my rear end trying to keep up with everything, and the mask on top of that tanked the hell out of my oxygen, and on top of that I'm out of shape after 2 months at home. I'm worn out, I feel like I do after working an ultrajammed Friday.

Our clientele tonight were extra bad. Just nonstop streams of white trash: 50% arrogant idiot 20somethings who just NEEDED to MAKEUP and get their GLAM on and go OUT like a REAL PERSON for ONCE, 50% shriveled boomers who were emanating visible joy at being waited upon hand and foot again by their wageslaves. Almost none of our regulars showed tonight, the ones that did were the barflies who hang out and talk up our bartenders and the owner. Tipping was meager.

What worries me is how completely blase the customers were about it. Not a single sit-down customer brought a mask. Only two of our take-out customers showed up wearing a mask. One boomer grandma was wearing a hoodie emblazoned with "RELAX" in large font. I'm pretty sure I saw her coming in as a customer the night before we shutdown back in March. Making this worse is that we (the employees) were basically not observing social distancing one single bit. With the customers, yes, but not with each other. Plenty of people took off their masks occasionally to breathe (while adjacent to other employees!) or just to talk to each other. Lots of face-touching. At the end of the night after shutting down and cleaning the entire restaurant, we usually sit at the bar, have our meals and drinks, and talk. I was the only one tonight keeping a distance while everyone was just sitting blah blahing to each other. Just surreal. We go to all this trouble to disinfect everything, we use tongs for straws and poo poo, we switched to disposable baskets for chips... etc etc etc. And then after all of that we all just sit and gabble like nothing happened.

Judging from what I've seen tonight, and this is in an actually fairly conscientious place judging from other anecdata I've been picking up, I am convinced that we as a country have done absolutely loving nothing to reduce the max spread of this virus. Not one single thing. At best we've slowed it down several months, but COVID-19 is going to hit every single last person in this country that it would've hit in the first place if we had taken the Sweden route.

Embarrassing. So many completely unnecessary deaths, so easily prevented.

i fuckin love it :theroni:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

MorrisBae posted:

We could have been churning out masks like whoa and providing them free to every citizen but lol

Gotta grift

Lol, remember when the Japanese were pissed that Abe only provided two free masks to each citizen?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

facetoucher cat posted:

https://twitter.com/BreakingNAlerts/status/1265840879983636481

Don't know where else to post this, they've been pretty reliable before. I didn't see it mentioned anywhere else

Been watching Unicorn Riot feeds and it’s probably fireworks or cops shooting gas and rubber bullets. Nobody’s said anything about regular guns.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

SKULL.GIF posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

just lmao that the wealthiest, most powerful nation in the history of the human fuckin species about to be headshotted by a plague.

super cool country we have here