Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

The North Tower posted:

I’m sure it would be a huge pain in the rear end, but I think it’d be neat to have the transition from regent to ruler handoff be much more disputed. Like if a content regent who liked the previous ruler gave way to a success-son at 16 was the minimum, have a ambitious regent have to have their filthy claws forcibly removed from an average (or even dull) ruler into their early 20s be a maximum. Maybe even leading to a civil war. Could lead to interesting outcomes.

I'm pretty sure the Game of Thrones mod has a mechanic where a regent can rule indefinitely by basically declaring the ruler incompetent no matter their capabilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Vichan posted:

I'm pretty sure the Game of Thrones mod has a mechanic where a regent can rule indefinitely by basically declaring the ruler incompetent no matter their capabilities.

drat, I wish I had known. After a >40 hr binge last week I ended up getting a job, so I’m probably waiting on 3 at this point. I’m mostly Ironman-only, as well, so I’d want it as an integrated system. Thanks for the rec, though—if 3 isn’t great out of the gate I’ll check it out.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Vichan posted:

So my only playthrough of GoT was right. I was Littlefinger, became spymaster of a kingdom and forced my way into a position of a designated regent. I wanted to get rid of current king and wondered if I can usurp throne afterwards. But then I died of stress.

Hope CK3 implements some of those court intrigue as well as better stress mechanics. Current systems make your council too docile, all it can do is stop you from doing things, never force or even ask to do anything.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

ilitarist posted:

So my only playthrough of GoT was right. I was Littlefinger, became spymaster of a kingdom and forced my way into a position of a designated regent. I wanted to get rid of current king and wondered if I can usurp throne afterwards. But then I died of stress.

Hope CK3 implements some of those court intrigue as well as better stress mechanics. Current systems make your council too docile, all it can do is stop you from doing things, never force or even ask to do anything.

Agreed. I feel like I’m still ruling over a bunch of people who only somewhat limit what I’m able to do. I remember my first regency where I was scared as hell about the council completely loving me over: giving away my duchies or at least provinces, backing claims, etc. Instead it was...’oh I guess I can’t do x for y years. I guess I’ll stockpile cash. And when I’m 16 I’ll have +z due to long reign. Neat.’

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

867 map

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Nothing surprising, and still objectively far superior to the super blobby Charlemagne start date. Interesting seeing that Kirghiz Khanate, I wonder how many provinces that encompasses. Probably not that many, as the northern counties usually tend to be pretty large.

Seeing this, I would love to play a merchant republic centered on the Horn of Africa on this map.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Torrannor posted:

Nothing surprising, and still objectively far superior to the super blobby Charlemagne start date.

Yeah, I often like game setups when you have some established superpower (like Total War Attila), you often get interesting stories around that. But Charlemagne was detrimental to CK2 in many ways. Francia breaks in boring ways. There are no interesting problems it faces, it just divides because that what big AI empires do. And none of Christian nations look interesting in this start. Maybe Britain has some interesting dynamics, but apart from that it's all meh.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Here are some previews of the preorder/expansion pass wardrobe bonuses. Solid hats, imo. This middle dude especially looks really cool. His face reminds me of something you’d see in Dishonored.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Torrannor posted:

Nothing surprising, and still objectively far superior to the super blobby Charlemagne start date. Interesting seeing that Kirghiz Khanate, I wonder how many provinces that encompasses. Probably not that many, as the northern counties usually tend to be pretty large.

Seeing this, I would love to play a merchant republic centered on the Horn of Africa on this map.

I think they have mentioned they've tried to avoid having those big boring areas with a few massive provinces so it may be more than it looks like.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The North Tower posted:

Agreed. I feel like I’m still ruling over a bunch of people who only somewhat limit what I’m able to do. I remember my first regency where I was scared as hell about the council completely loving me over: giving away my duchies or at least provinces, backing claims, etc. Instead it was...’oh I guess I can’t do x for y years. I guess I’ll stockpile cash. And when I’m 16 I’ll have +z due to long reign. Neat.’

It seems like the sort of thing that would be fun to struggle through, and even more fun to see NPCs destroyed by, but you'd also want an option to turn it off if you were doing some powergamy world conquest game.

Of course, from what I know of cases with powerful regents, there can be situations where the regent becomes king and shoves the "rightful" heir out of the way, and there can be situations where the "rightful" heir gets lost in the mix and then the entire country dissolves.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Scheming regencies sounds more fun than it probably would be. It would absolutely suck to lose a character early due to disease or something, have your preferred regent taken out by a high intrigue jerk, and then have them kill your entire family and ruin your realm while you're unable to stop them.

Everyone wants to be Simba returning to take over Scar's kingdom after he ruined it, but no one wants to be small child Simba at the mercy of King Scar.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Hellioning posted:

Scheming regencies sounds more fun than it probably would be. It would absolutely suck to lose a character early due to disease or something, have your preferred regent taken out by a high intrigue jerk, and then have them kill your entire family and ruin your realm while you're unable to stop them.

Everyone wants to be Simba returning to take over Scar's kingdom after he ruined it, but no one wants to be small child Simba at the mercy of King Scar.

In my first Muslim playthrough of CK2, I had a child take over the kingdom, and one of my old character's secondary wives became regent, and she locked me in a room to starve to death, and it was actually kind of heartbreaking to be on the other side of.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Hellioning posted:

Well yes, but if the system existed, you could also be Scar instead of either Simba.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Good gravy reading that diary brought my computer to its knees, I think the particle effect might have a memory leak or something. Really thought that would've been fixed by now.

Jolene
Jan 1, 2019

Pigbuster posted:

Good gravy reading that diary brought my computer to its knees, I think the particle effect might have a memory leak or something. Really thought that would've been fixed by now.

Seems pretty par the course for a Paradox endeavor. :v:

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Pigbuster posted:

I tried reading the dev diaries on my phone and could see the power dropping by 1% every 30 seconds or so. Easy solution, right? Reader view!

Sometimes the reader view gives their disclosure on cookies, instead.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Pigbuster posted:

Does your computer have an integrated graphics card? If so, that's why. You need a dedicated graphics card to view the website.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Paradox: Our Website Is More Taxing On Hardware Than Our Games

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Pigbuster posted:

The latest dev diaries with that particle effect completely gobbles up every bit of RAM on my PC if I read it with Firefox, to the tune of ~100MB of RAM per second. Chrome seems to work fine though.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It usually takes a few DLCs for the website to be fixed.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Since it looks like troop numbers may be smaller, has there been any word about what # or % of troops will be required to hold a conquered castle/town/church?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
CK can finally be foreverially Nexusized

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Anno posted:

Here are some previews of the preorder/expansion pass wardrobe bonuses. Solid hats, imo. This middle dude especially looks really cool. His face reminds me of something you’d see in Dishonored.

I really like the art style they're going with here. Been playing Civ 6 recently a little and forgot how much I was put off by its doughy pixar leaders and grating voice work. The characters here look real enough to take seriously in RP but not so photorealistic that I'd feel bad for murderplotting against. I never noticed how essential those kind of elements are until I saw them done wrong. Civ 6 feels like something you'd get bundled on a MS Encarta CD way back. Underneath it, its a great game but the tone set by the aesthetic is so off.

wit fucked around with this message at 13:56 on May 29, 2020

Anno
May 10, 2017

wit posted:

I really like the art style they're going with here. Been playing Civ 6 recently a little and forgot how much I was put off by its doughy pixar leaders and grating voice work. The characters here look real enough to take seriously in RP but not so photorealistic that I'd feel bad for murderplotting against. I never noticed how essential those kind of elements are until I saw them done wrong. Civ 6 feels like something you'd get bundled on a MS Encarta CD way back. Underneath it, its a great game but the tone set by the aesthetic is so off.

I think this’ll age pretty well, too. And it looks like it can still run on rather modest machines. I think it was a good choice.

And between mods and further DLCs I can’t wait to see how diverse the world’s characters can be in a few years.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Anno posted:

Looks pretty good, the more they go with the Battle Brothers style the better

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
Any recommendations for an African warrior lodge start? I don't really enjoy warfare/raiding and have always avoided militaristic people, but I thought I should give warrior lodges a try. But I keep starting new rulers only to discover they can only join the blasted Soul Eaters.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

wit posted:

Civ 6 feels like something you'd get bundled on a MS Encarta CD way back.

Oh, God. Thank you for perfectly nailing what made it oddly difficult for me to get into 6.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I can definitely relate to that. I saw a Civ6 bundle for sale on steam once and passingly considered buying it.

I clicked the link and surprise! I already owned Civ6 and just entirely forgot about it! I looked up the lackluster reviews for the expansions and felt vindicated in deciding against spending good money after bad.

As a child, my strategy cherry was busted hard by building a cool palace while staving off a genocidal Ghandi. Good times.

Civ is a totally different animal now, completely bereft of iterative software development, and has become an excel spreadsheet of modifiers and vague stat boosts covered by just bad looking art.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I’m hoping Humankind or Old World breaks the Civ monopoly on Civ-likes.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I thought both big Civ expansions were quite good. It’s still Civ, but it’s probably my favorite vanilla Civ. I just still
prefer modded Civ 5.

Look Sir Droids posted:

I’m hoping Humankind or Old World breaks the Civ monopoly on Civ-likes.

So far I don’t think either of them have the “it” that’ll break up any of the Civ playerbase. Old Word has the better chance, imo.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
All I want from Civ is a remastered Alpha Centauri with updated textures, resolutions, interface and controls

after that they can do whatever they want

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

AnEdgelord posted:

All I want from Civ is a remastered Alpha Centauri with updated textures, resolutions, interface and controls

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Anno posted:

So far I don’t think either of them have the “it” that’ll break up any of the Civ playerbase. Old Word has the better chance, imo.

Humankind is gonna be bad?

Anno
May 10, 2017

Look Sir Droids posted:

I just haven't seen anything about it yet that'll make it stand out in any way. Old World at least has the pseudo-CK thing going on and I trust Soren to make a very good game.

I hope Humankind surprises me, though.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
I tried Old World, it's... OK? Lost interest pretty fast, although none of the Civ series have really done it for me since Civ 4's Fall From Heaven mod.

Anno
May 10, 2017

It still seems super EA. But I think it has a pretty good foundation.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

E:
Wrong thread

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 30, 2020

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Look Sir Droids posted:

It looks very...confused. How you'll be picking up tons of cultures throughout the game, I dunno it has the kernel of a good idea but how they've mentioned implementing it doesn't strike me as that great. Also Endless Legend's combat is very bad.

Anno
May 10, 2017

FreudianSlippers posted:

E:
Wrong thread

This was a wild comment to try to contextualize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There was a recent big video on global warming in video games, and how Civilization just stopped acknowledging it as a problem after a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n78WYo-SQQ

Not that one issue like that should make or break a Civilization game on its own, but just it really shows that the series moved away from the harsher realities of history for a less textured experience, although they tried to move the other way with civ6.