Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

BonoMan posted:

Oh... Yeah just leave the dirt underneath it. A thin layer of mulch or chips if you absolutely must. Maybe just throw an old mattress under the monkey bars.

That is a very straight up playground and does not need what they're suggesting.

Edit: fwiw I have two kids and am over protective to a fault and I wouldn't put anything under that. How old are they?

They'll be turning three in September. For the near future for sure they won't be using it without supervision anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

devmd01 posted:

Kids are pretty good at evaluating risk and not doing dangerous stuff they’re not capable of. Sure, accidents can happen but in this particular instance I feel like the risks are minimal. Hell, the three year olds are jumping off the slide most of the way up now.
That might be true around 3. The issue is in a few years when they get the great idea to climb around the outside of the house and use the swing beam as a balance beam

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Eh, we had a three-level tree house with zero padding around it and only one kid ever broke her wrist.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Steve French posted:

They'll be turning three in September. For the near future for sure they won't be using it without supervision anyway

Yeah I'd think they'll be fine. Supervise for a year or so (I mean give or take) and then they should be ok.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sirotan posted:

I have a new water line now. Seems to be working just like the old water line. Success.

So like how long should I wait before I plant grass on my new dirt piles? Is there anything I can do to speed up the process of it settling? Water it a bunch? Stomp on it?

Rebel against the stupid uselessness of the turf lawn and don't.

BonoMan posted:

Yeah I'd think they'll be fine. Supervise for a year or so (I mean give or take) and then they should be ok.

Even the example picture didn't have mulch in it.

OP should go for this instead

https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2016/08/the-junk-playground-of-new-york-city/495371/

KillHour fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 28, 2020

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
It looks like my dishwasher has given up the ghost and it’s time for me to replace it. Are there brands/models I should particularly avoid or at this point are the name brands all basically the same?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

FreshFeesh posted:

It looks like my dishwasher has given up the ghost and it’s time for me to replace it. Are there brands/models I should particularly avoid or at this point are the name brands all basically the same?

Mine died abruptly recently too and I found there are the two types now, one with a heating element at the bottom and the other with an inline water heater, seems to be the big difference. I got one of the latter and the nice thing about it is you can put plastic on the lower rack without it melting.

Also got one that will contain any water from failures in a big tub at the bottom, unlike my previous which pissed itself all over the kitchen and through the floor to the basement. Got a Bosch in this case and I like it, it’s very quiet.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I remember climbing on the roof of our 2-story playset and jumping off of it into the snow

But we lived near Buffalo, NY so the snow was 8 feet deep.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Fallom posted:

I remember climbing on the roof of our 2-story playset and jumping off of it into the snow

But we lived near Buffalo, NY so the snow was 8 feet deep.

I grew up south of Syracuse. We get substantially more snow here than Syracuse in the winter; this is definitely in their future

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm still in Buffalo and climate change somehow hosed us over even worse. It's so goddamn hot yesterday broke an 85 year old record and 2 weeks ago it snowed.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

FreshFeesh posted:

Same thing happened to us. Our research pointed to Bosch being generally better reviewed than anything else. We ended up being torn between the 300 and the 500 series, and ended up settling for the 500 because we liked the dimensions better.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Anne Whateley posted:

That might be true around 3. The issue is in a few years when they get the great idea to climb around the outside of the house and use the swing beam as a balance beam

With all those tree's around if they're the climbing type they're gonna get used to falling onto dirt anyway.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Wow lots of buffalo area goons in here.

Also wanted to mention that I'm also a dad of 3 and have not out down a padding layer of mulch. Again not saying you shouldn't but it seems like it's Overkill like you'd need to dig down or builder a big box for that 12" isn't just going to lay there

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Very excite, I'm ready to order proper overhead cabinets and replace the rice cooker cabinet and the wire shelf.

Before

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

After

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

One all-custom place quoted $7,800. A catalog place will probably be around $3,500 (waiting on quote). Honestly, I can't afford the first option so I'm 90% sure I'll choose the second company.

Color options are on Page 53-54-55 of the Toto Mitte catalog.
https://www.catalabo.org/iportal/CatalogViewInterfaceStartUpAction.do?method=startUp&mode=PAGE&volumeID=CATALABO&catalogId=55886250000

The dish cabinet is medium oak. Our sink/stove unit is also medium oak. Our dining table is medium oak :11tea:
Goons, I need to decide between more medium oak, or some cute retro color. Wwyd

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

peanut posted:

One all-custom place quoted $7,800. A catalog place will probably be around $3,500 (waiting on quote). Honestly, I can't afford the first option so I'm 90% sure I'll choose the second company.

https://www.catalabo.org/iportal/CatalogViewInterfaceStartUpAction.do?method=startUp&mode=PAGE&volumeID=CATALABO&catalogId=55886250000

The dish cabinet is medium oak. Our sink/stove unit is also medium oak. Our dining table is medium oak :11tea:

T O T A L C O O R D I N A T E

What does the rest of the kitchen look like? In the absence of anything else I like FJH, 1FL, 1UF.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

peanut posted:

That's a tough one. I don't think more oak would look bad, but I get the fatigue with it. Something bland like white would be fine, but not special either. I'm not sure the room's big enough to support something super saturated but I'm all about that hot pinky purple right now, depends how stoked you are.

There might be too much white there to go for a light colour, so maybe something the same tone as the oak but a different hue? Like the dark purple or teal? Depends on your taste.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

extremely real action shot. (The kitchen work triangle is excellent.)

peanut fucked around with this message at 11:36 on May 28, 2020

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

extremely real action shot 2

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I would favour the dark teal colour. Goes with the wood, the stainless work surface and fridge. I guess the issue is whether it gets enough natural light to avoid being a bit gloomy.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Steve French posted:

My default plan was to box the area in and the mulch would be slightly above grade

Yeah, definitely do not remove and fill with mulch. That's how you make a swamp.

Also, note the marketing photo of the set you posted: on grass.

In other news, 2020 is just gonna keep on being 2020. My septic has a problem. Seems like the box isn't outflowing, but I haven't gotten too far into it other than digging up the caps and now I'm waiting on the honey wagon.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Motronic posted:

Yeah, definitely do not remove and fill with mulch. That's how you make a swamp.

Also, note the marketing photo of the set you posted: on grass.

In other news, 2020 is just gonna keep on being 2020. My septic has a problem. Seems like the box isn't outflowing, but I haven't gotten too far into it other than digging up the caps and now I'm waiting on the honey wagon.

Nothing 20,000 dollars can't fix.

Pipe and Stone forever!

What tractor is that?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

daslog posted:

Nothing 20,000 dollars can't fix.

Pipe and Stone forever!

What tractor is that?

Ugh. I hope not, but I'm still waiting on the wagon.

It's a cabbed Kubota B2650. Which I have yet to install the digging bar on, so I dug that crap up with a mulch bucket. I really need to get over the the tool rental place to grab a magnetic base drill for a day and get that thing done.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I have a very small apartment, and the chairs I have to go around my IKEA Gateleg (https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/norden-gateleg-table-birch-90423887/) are dining table chairs that are large and take up (relatively) a lot of space. I'm looking for a good alternative, and I'm thinking some sort of folding chair; the ones The Wirecutter recommends are more of an outdoor-style one. Are there good, solid indoor folding chairs? Or some other alternative that doesn't take up much space (whole apartment is probably about 550 square feet, two bedrooms).

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Thanatosian posted:

I have a very small apartment, and the chairs I have to go around my IKEA Gateleg (https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/norden-gateleg-table-birch-90423887/) are dining table chairs that are large and take up (relatively) a lot of space. I'm looking for a good alternative, and I'm thinking some sort of folding chair; the ones The Wirecutter recommends are more of an outdoor-style one. Are there good, solid indoor folding chairs? Or some other alternative that doesn't take up much space (whole apartment is probably about 550 square feet, two bedrooms).

Something like this?

ed: I had searched for "folding dinner chairs"

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Something like this?

We have something like this from Barn Furniture Mart for our excess chairs. They're great.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I got two estimates for a full AC and heating replacement, one was like 10600 after rebate, the other 8600 lol

I called some other places but they were all backed up or didn't do work on multi-unit dwellings.

our decision to replace our vandalized condensers with ones with freon four years ago (freon was on it's way out) meant that we didn't have to get new coils, but it also meant that now I can't really just replaced the coils that iced over because freon coils are very hard to find and expensive. But that's okay, and also my furnace is a cheap brand (coleman) and 15 years old, so I figured I might as well do it all together.

I was annoyed by how all these companies were trying to get me to divulge info about what other companies I was getting estimates from.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

actionjackson posted:

I got two estimates for a full AC and heating replacement, one was like 10600 after rebate, the other 8600 lol

I was annoyed by how all these companies were trying to get me to divulge info about what other companies I was getting estimates from.

Part of this is them wanting to know how competitive they need to be. I tell them up front I'm getting 3 bids even if I'm lying to their face. The second guy gave me a comically high bid on my 1-ton minisplit, he asked how he compared to the others on the spot and I told him bluntly it was double the others for a lesser unit. Assuming similar equipment between the two, call up that first one and tell em you got another bid for X/Y/Z gear which is materially similar to this and see where it takes you. You will definitely get a certain amount of quality and brand and worksmanship blah blah blah out of them over the phone, but if they are truly identical ask them what they can do to help you bridge the price gap. Maybe you get a longer warranty out of them, maybe they call their distributor and find some extra money off, maybe they discount their labor a bit.

Read their reviews, especially the negative ones, carefully to figure out where the price spread comes from - it could be the cheaper company always has some little addon after the ink is dry and they've removed your old unit, or maybe their labor is as clean/professional, or maybe the more expensive company simply has a full book for the summer and so they take some profit.

I wish there was a clear sign it was time to replace your AC in advance of it failing. Ours is super loud outside, but I also don't really want to be without AC for 2 days while they install a new one. :ohdear:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Poop update: Lateral clogged. Resolved for now. I'm digging it up later on to fix the actual problem (bellied pipe) and the reason I couldn't clear it without emptying the box (no sane exterior cleanout). I guess this is another excuse on the pile to buy a used mini excavator.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

Part of this is them wanting to know how competitive they need to be. I tell them up front I'm getting 3 bids even if I'm lying to their face. The second guy gave me a comically high bid on my 1-ton minisplit, he asked how he compared to the others on the spot and I told him bluntly it was double the others for a lesser unit. Assuming similar equipment between the two, call up that first one and tell em you got another bid for X/Y/Z gear which is materially similar to this and see where it takes you. You will definitely get a certain amount of quality and brand and worksmanship blah blah blah out of them over the phone, but if they are truly identical ask them what they can do to help you bridge the price gap. Maybe you get a longer warranty out of them, maybe they call their distributor and find some extra money off, maybe they discount their labor a bit.

Read their reviews, especially the negative ones, carefully to figure out where the price spread comes from - it could be the cheaper company always has some little addon after the ink is dry and they've removed your old unit, or maybe their labor is as clean/professional, or maybe the more expensive company simply has a full book for the summer and so they take some profit.

I wish there was a clear sign it was time to replace your AC in advance of it failing. Ours is super loud outside, but I also don't really want to be without AC for 2 days while they install a new one. :ohdear:

Yeah I did tell the second one (the one I'm going with) that I was getting some other estimates. I'm just waiting until this starts happening to other people in my building, since we all have the original 15 year old freon coils.

I'm getting a 60K BTU two-stage Trane furnace, and a SEER 16 single stage two ton Trane AC unit (for $500 less I could have selected a SEER 13 one). Apparently Trane is pretty highly rated, like Carrier. My condo is 982 square feet so it seems to be a good fit.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

actionjackson posted:

Yeah I did tell the second one (the one I'm going with) that I was getting some other estimates. I'm just waiting until this starts happening to other people in my building, since we all have the original 15 year old freon coils.

I'm getting a 60K BTU two-stage Trane furnace, and a SEER 16 single stage two ton Trane AC unit (for $500 less I could have selected a SEER 13 one). Apparently Trane is pretty highly rated, like Carrier. My condo is 982 square feet so it seems to be a good fit.

If you could get a group of neighbors to agree on something (pause for laughter) you could likely get a screaming deal on the units and labor if 5-10 of you wanted to do it all at once. But ahahahaha.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

If you could get a group of neighbors to agree on something (pause for laughter) you could likely get a screaming deal on the units and labor if 5-10 of you wanted to do it all at once. But ahahahaha.

I mean I'm in a small condo (15 units), and a few people have already had their furnaces replaced I think. Honestly you can't really fault people for not wanting to go along given how incredibly expensive it is. We did get some discount on the condensers after the vandalism but I'm not sure how much it was. My insurance covered mine (after deductible) and the house unit was split up among us based on square footage of unit.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Something like this?

H110Hawk posted:

We have something like this from Barn Furniture Mart for our excess chairs. They're great.

This is the third thread I posted this in, and the first responses, much appreciated, that's exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for!

I had searched for "Indoor folding chairs" and they were all just regular folding chairs with pads on them, those are great.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

actionjackson posted:

My Trane AC only new install quote was $12k. For a 2.5 ton seer 14. I told the guy it was crazy and he'd have to come down at least 1/3 and he said no we're doing just fine, good luck.

Instead I am going Lennox/Costco for ~8k, 4 ton seer 16.

I got four quotes, no one was interested in negotiating, one more installer wasn't interested in the job, and another I told not to bother when they said they could match my highest quote.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Aquila posted:

Were you able to get variable speed everything like a sane modern person?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Aquila posted:

My Trane AC only new install quote was $12k. For a 2.5 ton seer 14. I told the guy it was crazy and he'd have to come down at least 1/3 and he said no we're doing just fine, good luck.

I got four quotes, no one was interested in negotiating, one more installer wasn't interested in the job, and another I told not to bother when they said they could match my highest quote.

yeah the HVAC companies seem to be quite busy and not really affected by covid. Is that cost just for the AC??? How big is your house is you are getting a 4 ton?

A guy at work said when he had both his AC and furnace replaced it was under 6k for a standard single family detached home. I'm guessing that was quite a few years ago.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Re: kitchen cabinets

My husband prefers MORE MEDIUM OAK so that's what we'll choose.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Was just going to chime in, although you've selected already.

The thing that is probably default style today in Japan and Taiwan (following a European trend) is to go modern, ala the image bottom left on page 52. Probably to the point that a huge majority select a bright shiny laminate color. Usually neutral colors like Sheen White, Sheen Greige, or White. Because Japanese interiors already have a lot of wood in them, the modern cabinet look pairs well to offer some contrast or a change in pattern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

You're right. But wood is my kitchen destiny… I'll find other ways to add color.

Now I need to fix the loose bolts on our dining table. They pull out of the central bar by our feet and it's so wobbly ;_____;
Should I get fatter bolts, brace hardware, or just fill the holes with wood glue??