Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

facetoucher cat posted:

https://twitter.com/BreakingNAlerts/status/1265840879983636481

Don't know where else to post this, they've been pretty reliable before. I didn't see it mentioned anywhere else

There's a thread following it all p. closely here in CSPAM: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3925033&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Been watching Unicorn Riot feeds and it’s probably fireworks or cops shooting gas and rubber bullets. Nobody’s said anything about regular guns.

Same, I didn't hear anything about live ammo either but I've since turned in for bed. Good to know, hopefully!

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Tks

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm home from work and what scant optimism I had left has been completely annihilated by my first night at work since the first half of March

let me gripe a bit first about the work conditions. We're running at roughly 50%-66% capacity with tables greatly distanced from each other, and we had roughly I don't know I couldn't keep track because i was overwhelmed, 30-40 tables tonight altogether between the dining room, the bar, and the outdoors patio. A night like that I'm slacking off and joking with coworkers and browsing on my phone. But because of all the extra crap we have to do I was constantly busting my rear end trying to keep up with everything, and the mask on top of that tanked the hell out of my oxygen, and on top of that I'm out of shape after 2 months at home. I'm worn out, I feel like I do after working an ultrajammed Friday.

Our clientele tonight were extra bad. Just nonstop streams of white trash: 50% arrogant idiot 20somethings who just NEEDED to MAKEUP and get their GLAM on and go OUT like a REAL PERSON for ONCE, 50% shriveled boomers who were emanating visible joy at being waited upon hand and foot again by their wageslaves. Almost none of our regulars showed tonight, the ones that did were the barflies who hang out and talk up our bartenders and the owner. Tipping was meager.

What worries me is how completely blase the customers were about it. Not a single sit-down customer brought a mask. Only two of our take-out customers showed up wearing a mask. One boomer grandma was wearing a hoodie emblazoned with "RELAX" in large font. I'm pretty sure I saw her coming in as a customer the night before we shutdown back in March. Making this worse is that we (the employees) were basically not observing social distancing one single bit. With the customers, yes, but not with each other. Plenty of people took off their masks occasionally to breathe (while adjacent to other employees!) or just to talk to each other. Lots of face-touching. At the end of the night after shutting down and cleaning the entire restaurant, we usually sit at the bar, have our meals and drinks, and talk. I was the only one tonight keeping a distance while everyone was just sitting blah blahing to each other. Just surreal. We go to all this trouble to disinfect everything, we use tongs for straws and poo poo, we switched to disposable baskets for chips... etc etc etc. And then after all of that we all just sit and gabble like nothing happened.

Judging from what I've seen tonight, and this is in an actually fairly conscientious place judging from other anecdata I've been picking up, I am convinced that we as a country have done absolutely loving nothing to reduce the max spread of this virus. Not one single thing. At best we've slowed it down several months, but COVID-19 is going to hit every single last person in this country that it would've hit in the first place if we had taken the Sweden route.

Embarrassing. So many completely unnecessary deaths, so easily prevented.

Oh for gently caress's sake.
just gimme the roni already

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

I refuse to accept the official death count as deciding the winner of the c-spam death pot

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

paperwind posted:

We're easily gonna hit 200,000 official reported deaths by the end of July, maybe even sooner.

Nevermind the undercounting. We'll probably be at an unofficial 200,000 deaths before June is even done.

I wish people would stop saying stuff like this.

Because I can only get so hard before it starts to become painful

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I am absolutely getting this stupid virus. You remember that scene from Contagion where the doctor is in a restaurant and he just has a moment of paranoia looking at everything around him and all the touching of glasses and the talking into people's faces and poo poo?

I'm going out of my way tonight at work to be careful and, I think I washed my hands about a couple dozen times combined with using gloves regularly, disinfecting and wiping down everything, and I still kept catching myself doing something that would've transmitted the virus into my respiratory system because CONSTANT VIGILANCE! is nearly impossible when I have to keep track of all these tables, all the orders, all the customers, all the new tasks we have to do

And I'm like

"gently caress"

Then I go

"gently caress it it doesn't matter, look at what all the other idiots are doing, you would've caught it anyway"

Then I go

"gently caress"

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

the actual count of "people who would otherwise be alive were it not for covid" is at least like 120k

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1265828648906485761?s=20

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
check this out lmao. $6 for 60oz btw

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

KaptainKrunk posted:

I refuse to accept the official death count as deciding the winner of the c-spam death pot

Guessing how much deaths get manipulated is part of the game

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

honestly a good idea!!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The surge in cases in Minnesota in 2 weeks will be wild

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

General loving strike dude

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

mastershakeman posted:

A significant portion of the population actually enjoys shopping and they want to go back to their entertainment

when amazon makes an AR shopping interface for their website where people can wander aisles and pick things up it’s gonna be the thing that lets them actually take over the world

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020

facetoucher cat posted:

https://twitter.com/BreakingNAlerts/status/1265840879983636481

Don't know where else to post this, they've been pretty reliable before. I didn't see it mentioned anywhere else

newsreader cat

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020

Mr Hootington posted:

The surge in cases in Minnesota in 2 weeks will be wild

heating up all over! starting 2 feel like summer &th birds r trumoin

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

:birddrugs:
new :acab: thread
:birddrugs:

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

when amazon makes an AR shopping interface for their website where people can wander aisles and pick things up it’s gonna be the thing that lets them actually take over the world

:thunk:

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/SquireForYou/status/1265553065056362497

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

hhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

surely this can't stay swept under the rug like this for long, that is such a comically absurd and impossible to explain any other way difference from last year to this year. And I'm sure just about every state is doing the same thing. I feel like the dam is gonna break on this and the number of dead americans will suddenly be found to be 250k or something

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

empty whippet box posted:

surely this can't stay swept under the rug like this for long, that is such a comically absurd and impossible to explain any other way difference from last year to this year. And I'm sure just about every state is doing the same thing. I feel like the dam is gonna break on this and the number of dead americans will suddenly be found to be 250k or something

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
dumbass liberals freaking out over covid when they shouldve been freaking out about pneumonia !!!!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

fosborb posted:

haha we are so hosed. i just heard about a fourth restaurant in town that's had a COVID this week; the 2nd to not report it and is just staying the gently caress open (neighbor kid works down the street at Taco John's)

Its not even like I'm particularly connected to the industry, and dining rooms have only been open in my county since Friday, and there's only like 200k people in the metro....

just completely, utterly hosed lmao

SKULL.GIF posted:

I am absolutely getting this stupid virus. You remember that scene from Contagion where the doctor is in a restaurant and he just has a moment of paranoia looking at everything around him and all the touching of glasses and the talking into people's faces and poo poo?

I'm going out of my way tonight at work to be careful and, I think I washed my hands about a couple dozen times combined with using gloves regularly, disinfecting and wiping down everything, and I still kept catching myself doing something that would've transmitted the virus into my respiratory system because CONSTANT VIGILANCE! is nearly impossible when I have to keep track of all these tables, all the orders, all the customers, all the new tasks we have to do

And I'm like

"gently caress"

Then I go

"gently caress it it doesn't matter, look at what all the other idiots are doing, you would've caught it anyway"

Then I go

"gently caress"

tbh all you can do (apart from the v good general strike idea) is try to ingraine the good habits before the old habits get you roni’d

any place that’s reopening probably should have spent like 2 weeks doing “fake dine in” where everyone gets retrained instead of expecting every employee to instantly know and adhere to proper biohazard isolation and handling techniques but lmfao as if

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

They're going to get away with it and this will just be one more thing everyone on twitter takes for granted and can easily verify themselves, but because it isn't part of the official story, nobody in politics or the media will bring it up. Even the nominal opposition or journalistic institutions won't report on anything that big out of decorum poisoning.

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost
to this day, less than 50 people officially died because of Chernobyl

nothing matters

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Five thousand in a state as big as Florida can be covered up. Fifty thousand can't. That gets into the territory of everyone living old person personally knows someone who died.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

lol

lmao

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

SKULL.GIF posted:

Judging from what I've seen tonight, and this is in an actually fairly conscientious place judging from other anecdata I've been picking up, I am convinced that we as a country have done absolutely loving nothing to reduce the max spread of this virus. Not one single thing. At best we've slowed it down several months, but COVID-19 is going to hit every single last person in this country that it would've hit in the first place if we had taken the Sweden route.

Embarrassing. So many completely unnecessary deaths, so easily prevented.

Yes. Feeble attempts to stop the virus failed utterly. Stopping it was probably never really possible, not as long as international travel exists. Slowing down was somewhat effective, buying us more time to figure out PPE supply lines and study what treatments work -- less than we might have hoped, but still better than nothing at all.

Now it won't stop until at least 80% of the population has immunity. Either by everybody getting sick and half a million Americans dying, or continued weak attempts to slow it down dragging things out until we get a vaccine in 2 years.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

By this point, in the USA, the true extent of the spread will measured by the waves of ICU capacity shortages throughout the country.

Best we can do right now is to not forget the reality that this is not over. We did not win. 100k deaths was the goddamn shadow of what we now face.

Tell people to wear a fuckin mask and stay home if they can.

Every one of you should be at the forefront of the push for change after this. Most of you saw this coming a mile away, and most of you understood how and why our capitalist system would fail. Teach others how to do the same.

You're good people.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
if 80% of Americans get it, it’s going to kill way more than a few hundred thousand people.

1% IFR would give us 2.6 million corpses. Every percent after that gets you another 2.6.

if hospitals collapse or get strained again, or if the IFR is actually higher (and the secret pneumonia pandemic points to that tbh), then we’re way off the reservation on what people will tolerate.

IMO. Every society and every form of propaganda has a band of effectiveness and a breaking point. 6 million dead is way beyond anything that has ever stressed the US.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Charlz Guybon posted:

Five thousand in a state as big as Florida can be covered up. Fifty thousand can't. That gets into the territory of everyone living old person personally knows someone who died.

the death toll in florida being like 3.5x as bad as the official numbers makes me wonder if they aren't already in just as bad a spot as new york w/r/t deaths per million population, but with less response and less of a gently caress given so it's just gonna keep going like this until more people have died in miami than in new york

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

triple sulk posted:

brazil is going to absolutely crush the us in the death count, even if most of the numbers end up fudged

we cannot allow a (corpse-filled) mine shaft gap!

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Penisaurus Sex posted:

if 80% of Americans get it, it’s going to kill way more than a few hundred thousand people.

1% IFR would give us 2.6 million corpses. Every percent after that gets you another 2.6.

if hospitals collapse or get strained again, or if the IFR is actually higher (and the secret pneumonia pandemic points to that tbh), then we’re way off the reservation on what people will tolerate.

IMO. Every society and every form of propaganda has a band of effectiveness and a breaking point. 6 million dead is way beyond anything that has ever stressed the US.

I mean, we can also just pretend it didn't happen. americans so far haven't been fazed in the slightest by 100k dead, like, not even a little bit. we literally don't give a single gently caress. I kind of think 50 times this many dying still won't mean anything to most americans compared to "I want to go to applebee's"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Funion posted:

By this point, in the USA, the true extent of the spread will measured by the waves of ICU capacity shortages throughout the country.

Best we can do right now is to not forget the reality that this is not over. We did not win. 100k deaths was the goddamn shadow of what we now face.

Every one of you should be at the forefront of the push for change after this. Most of you saw this coming a mile away, and most of you understood how and why our capitalist system would fail. Teach others how to do the same.

You're good people.

:hai:

Right back at ya friend

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

I mean, we can also just pretend it didn't happen. americans so far haven't been fazed in the slightest by 100k dead, like, not even a little bit. we literally don't give a single gently caress. I kind of think 50 times this many dying still won't mean anything to most americans compared to "I want to go to applebee's"

I disagree.

100k is still in the realm where most people don’t know someone dead, and small enough that we can physically keep the disaster shunted off to the margins.

It’s macabre but just physically dealing with 3 million corpses is such a big task that you can’t keep it out of sight, never mind the emotional side of things.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
I haven't left my house for about five months, is it safe to come out yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Funion posted:

You're good people.

unfortunately most of us are at the mercy of some idiot sitting behind a desk and getting paid to force us back to work, i had to return to the office last week despite have literally no barriers to working from home and i had to go just because the owner of the company thinks it's both a giant hoax and a chinese bioweapon