Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
If I get a VR headset can I have an anime girlfriend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

d3lness posted:

It's why so many VR fans are insanely defensive and volatile. (Also because True GameRs I guess)

I don't have a pony in this race but personally I see way more people falling over themselves to say how much VR sucks than people that enjoy it being defensive and volatile. :shrug:

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I'm replaying rdr2, I beat it when it came out years ago, but I guess I loaded a previous save before the end to finish up some side quests or whatever and it overwrote the epilogue save I had. I had to replay the last 3 missions so I can get back to the epilogue I left off at and just have fun riding around the wild west or something.

it's like watching a mediocre western that makes you keep pressing the play button every few seconds. the housers should be exiled from video games out of embarrassment. the game design and writing are rotten to the core and I cannot believe someone is proud of this.

I cannot stand any more missions where you mow down an endless wave of hundreds of well trained law enforcement as a old man dying of tuberculosis as you sleep walk through alternating the l2 button to get a lock and the r2 button to shoot your super soakers. every scene you think about how this might just work out alright as a movie with a competent director, but as a game you're just along for the ride, it mostly plays itself except for the shooting and riding. your actions as a player and as the main character have no consequence while you wait for the next consequence to happen and the next twist in the plot to come along.

it cost $700 billion dollars to make over 20 years with 80 hours of overtime each week by all 3000 developers or whatever, and the main game part is a frigid turd.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

d3lness posted:

VR is not new at all. It's come and gone over the decades multiple times and in various forms.

I played both Dactyle Nightmare and Rise of the Triad using ancient VR, back in the 90s. It was in the CN tower in Toronto. the getup was huge and bulky, but it worked as well as the VR does today.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I don't have a pony in this race but personally I see way more people falling over themselves to say how much VR sucks than people that enjoy it being defensive and volatile. :shrug:

Ask anyone who has a VR thing if they like it and they will absolutely gush over it. They rarely seem to actually use it though, despite how revolutionary it is or whatever.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Chomp8645 posted:

take a wild guess

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

jokes posted:

Ask anyone who has a VR thing if they like it and they will absolutely gush over it. They rarely seem to actually use it though, despite how revolutionary it is or whatever.

Gushing over something you enjoy doesn't seem defensive or volatile.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Chomp8645 posted:

hell you can be the anime girlfriend

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

piratepilates posted:

hell you can be the anime girlfriend

:eyepop:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

jokes posted:

VR isn’t really something that you do most of your gaming on. It’s a lot of fun but it’s something I dust off a few times a month because there’s a bunch of time and effort involved. It kicks rear end for watching movies, though, and I really liked it when I was traveling for work. I would stay at some motels in the middle of nowhere that were loving grim and it was nice to be able to block that out and relax in some nice virtual environments.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Go out into the wild internet and say something critical of VR. If you want an ulcer, do it on Reddit.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

d3lness posted:

VR is not new at all. It's come and gone over the decades multiple times and in various forms. You could even toss it in the 3D TV category if you wanted.

You sound like your great grandpa, in the early 20th century, decrying photography

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Like a lot of things with modern games, we're seeing some things that the industry has tried to develop for years finally becoming viable because of technological advances- usually ones pushed by phones and tablets, ironically enough. I think it's pretty rare for video game systems to actually make significant hardware innovations on their own.

IIRC the Oculus Rift people realised that modern phones with their small HD screens are perfect for VR headsets, and the Switch is basically the kind of console the industry has been trying to make for decades (As said before, see that Razer device that had ycs melting down) that's suddenly normal and innovative rather than an absurd impractical gimmick.

Of course, convenience is always the rub. If VR is going to really take off, someone's going to have to take a second stab at the Virtual Boy.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

They gush and also refuse to acknowledge any qualification. It was a perfect and awesome purchase and there will be more things to do on it in the coming weeks/months you’ll see. The reason there aren’t things to do on it are because of naysayers blah blah blah, and I’m happy with it for my use case which is FINE.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

jokes posted:

They gush and also refuse to acknowledge any qualification. It was a perfect and awesome purchase and there will be more things to do on it in the coming weeks/months you’ll see. The reason there aren’t things to do on it are because of naysayers blah blah blah, and I’m happy with it for my use case which is FINE.

Where on the doll did the VR headset touch you

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It can’t! That’s the problem!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

jokes posted:

i know a couple people who have vr setups for flight sims, which they use regularly and seem to enjoy, what other qualification should one need :confused:

personally id love to try it but i get bad motion sickness so i dont think its for me

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Khanstant posted:

I think I only beat Fallout 4 because the game was the exact perfect blend of mindless and endless to listen to hours and hours of podcasts. I listened to like several years of Radiolabs, a bunch of old 1940-50s fiction podcasts, and plenty else.

That's what Jeff Vogel and John Van Caneghem games are for.

yeah that's right I just dropped 2 dork as gently caress game designer names that haven't been relevant in years

The big difference is that their games are good and fun

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Earwicker posted:

i know a couple people who have vr setups for flight sims, which they use regularly and seem to enjoy, what other qualification should one need :confused:

personally id love to try it but i get bad motion sickness so i dont think its for me

Might be worth trying if you know someone that has a modern headset. The first time I tried a demo I almost yarped on my shoes but the new stuff doesn’t give me any issues at all. I think it’s the increased responsiveness of the headset and a bunch of subtle haptic poo poo with the controllers, it does a way better job of making your brain buy into it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

VR is definitely a fantastic tool for simulations. Truck drivers and flight sims etc. totally makes sense. But I don’t think that’s a big percent of the gaming market.

vudan
Dec 11, 2010
I feel FPS as a genre is stale. They still follow same formula as earlier 90's FPS- move side to side or use corners to avoid fire - get enemy into centre of screen - click button.
I mean sure, I don't expect bullets to fly out of the screen so I don't really know what I'm asking for here, but I definitely just want them to end usually around the halfway mark whenever I pick one up.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

vudan posted:

I feel FPS as a genre is stale. They still follow same formula as earlier 90's FPS- move side to side or use corners to avoid fire - get enemy into centre of screen - click button.
I mean sure, I don't expect bullets to fly out of the screen so I don't really know what I'm asking for here, but I definitely just want them to end usually around the halfway mark whenever I pick one up.

Doom 5 might be exactly what you are looking for as it revolves around a gameplay loop that produces a feeling akin to character action games.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

That's what Jeff Vogel and John Van Caneghem games are for.

yeah that's right I just dropped 2 dork as gently caress game designer names that haven't been relevant in years

How is Caneghem not relevant right RN now? If you started playing Might & Magic when it came out in 1986, you're right now about half-way through World of Xeen :confused:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
One "killer app" isn't going to turn VR into good gaming. The functionality and limitations of VR need to be considered a bunch over many games that eventually diverge enough from mainstream gaming titles for them to become really worthwhile. It's not going to be some VR game dev having an epiphany. VR equipment also needs to be significantly improved. Current VR equipment is still janky as poo poo and costs too much for mainstream acceptance. It's cool though, and it looks like there's enough attachment for them to keep making the poo poo, so whatevs. Eventually it'll be good.

Maybe David Cage can make a VR game and it's just filled with stuff like "open the door" and holy poo poo you actually reach over and open the door now wow

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

jokes posted:

VR is definitely a fantastic tool for simulations. Truck drivers and flight sims etc. totally makes sense. But I don’t think that’s a big percent of the gaming market.

It used to be, and perhaps it might be again. All those euro truck simulator games have a steady audience, and Microsoft Flight Simulator used to be the equivalent of AAA, but it's one of those genres that publishers abandoned.

signalnoise posted:

One "killer app" isn't going to turn VR into good gaming. The functionality and limitations of VR need to be considered a bunch over many games that eventually diverge enough from mainstream gaming titles for them to become really worthwhile. It's not going to be some VR game dev having an epiphany. VR equipment also needs to be significantly improved. Current VR equipment is still janky as poo poo and costs too much for mainstream acceptance. It's cool though, and it looks like there's enough attachment for them to keep making the poo poo, so whatevs. Eventually it'll be good.

Maybe David Cage can make a VR game and it's just filled with stuff like "open the door" and holy poo poo you actually reach over and open the door now wow

Yeah, though if there's any time for it to happen it's probably going to be soon. Headsets need to get cheaper and more comfortable, and I don't think it'll take just one killer app but for there to be enough VR titles with sufficient variety and a solid tech base that doesn't case too many users to throw up, in an easily available package.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

How is Caneghem not relevant right RN now? If you started playing Might & Magic when it came out in 1986, you're right now about half-way through World of Xeen :confused:

I think I got pretty far into World of Xeen but it was probably only about 1/4 in. 1 and 2 are just too old for me and this is coming from a guy who loves Darklands.

by the way Darklands has the best character creation system of all time

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Vogel just had a bigass sale on steam

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

id love to have a VR helmet but i cant justify the expense and i dont think theyll ever reach a price point where i will buy one

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

gamer stuff in general is way too expensive. consoles are hundreds of bucks and i dont think anyone in my family will take kindly if i buy a switch or something when i (used to) be able to go on holiday in greece or whatever for the same amount. i only own a pc because i just need one for work so thats what i game on

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Consoles also have the detriment of having to use a controller which is a horrible way to play pretty much anything but a fighting game. I started playing Call of Duty Warzone a couple days ago and I cannot believe how many people loading into the pre-game lobby are playing with a controller. Why the hell would you purposely gimp yourself like that?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Gamer stuff is way cheaper than it used to be.

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Consoles also have the detriment of having to use a controller which is a horrible way to play pretty much anything but a fighting game. I started playing Call of Duty Warzone a couple days ago and I cannot believe how many people loading into the pre-game lobby are playing with a controller. Why the hell would you purposely gimp yourself like that?

You ever tried playing a platformer with a keyboard? Also, fighting game fans usually consider controllers the bad way to play it compared to an arcade fight stick, which is usually what the devs built the game for.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Oh yeah, good point. I forgot about platformers cuz I don't think I've played one in probably 20 years.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You ever tried playing a platformer with a keyboard?

I tried playing Lego Batman on my Windows 10 box and had to dig out my Logitech F710 because unless only 45- and 90-degree angles are used, any platforms other than the ground are literally impossible to navigate with the keyboard. Plays fine with a twin-stick gamepad because of course it does.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Not at all. Doom 16 is great on a controller, any of the ubilikes, the witcher, anything where you make someone run round. Fps in general they're tolerable but mouse is better obv

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

It just sounds really bad to me, but I'm an old. My nephew thinks I'm a dinosaur because I insist on inverting my mouse.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

d3lness posted:

VR is not new at all. It's come and gone over the decades multiple times and in various forms. You could even toss it in the 3D TV category if you wanted.

This will always be my favorite video for a showcase of what to expect from VR. It's a few years old at this point, but it still applies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2sCJpR3x8o

I remember VR games showing up on Phil Donahue's talk show in the 90's.

Yes I found it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Duo0udZuzG0

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's always fun watching this thread act like a bunch of dinosaurs about VR, but even more so while it's blowing up in real time to the point where you can't buy a VR headset anywhere anymore.

Keep on posting that video of Jeff Gerstmann being too stupid to set up a PSVR as evidence that it sucks until the end of time though.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

veni veni veni posted:

Keep on posting that video of Jeff Gerstmann being too stupid to set up a PSVR as evidence that it sucks until the end of time though.

Link?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

It's always fun watching this thread act like a bunch of dinosaurs about VR, but even more so while it's blowing up in real time to the point where you can't buy a VR headset anywhere anymore.

The blow up for PC VR is that now about 2% of steam users have one. Putting it at less than 50% the adoption rate of PSVR.

It probably keeps slowly climbing, but it really feels like you have a fractured ecosystem for a currently niche product that isn't going anywhere fast, even after another push by an absolute monster in the industry. The current increased finger accuracy and other objectives are not overcoming what appears to be the main bottlenecks on wider consumer interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

There's clips from it in the video above. I had trouble finding the original video without a bunch of "lol"editing, but basically they blasted the whole room with light, when it's the first thing it tells you not to do, and then complained about the tracking. Not that all of their complaints were totally off base tbh, but PSVR isn't nearly as bad as they made it out to be, and PSVR is also extremely ghetto by modern standards (still way fun though), so it's funny that people have posted that dumb CROWBCAT video like 50 times here, like it's evidence that VR sucks, when it's a 3 year old launch day vid of some dude who wanted to hate it and didn't even set it up right.