Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

MMF Freeway posted:

I'm also kind of interested in trying to make a really broken adventurer but I don't even know where to start. Anyone know some particularly OP skill tree combos that I could build off of?

Stacking multiple different stat-boosting passives can get extremely silly in the lategame iirc.

Telekinetic wielding in conjunction with Reaver dual wielding and being an Ogre is a fun gimmick. Triple-wield giant sledgehammers and pulverize everything, or triple-wield two-handed staves and cast gently caress You. Or use arcane+reaving combat to do both!

Stacking multiple speed sources is funny too. Cursed + Temporal Warden could probably get you rocketing around like Sonic the Hedgehog.

I wouldn't recommend it since it's awful to play and can't kill anything worth poo poo, but I once put together an adventurer who used like 5 or 6 different classes worth of damage shields and passive damage reduction. Dude was triwielding mindstars with the Gesture block from Doomed, the Mindslayer/Solipsist shields, I think Antimagic, and gently caress if I can remember what else. He took almost no damage from anything and slowly chipped everything to death right up until the Weirdling Beast nullified him and nuked him into atoms

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Serephina posted:

If you're doing anything but punching baddies into water, you're doing it wrong. Ergo, puzzle game.

Achievement systems fundamentally change how you approach the problem (kill by drowning only) and cram them into a puzzle instead. This happens with X-Com as well. You can certainly come up with an interesting different solution in Baba Is You but I think it retains a core puzzle game core. Most zachtronic games, for example, have infinite solutions. They're problem solving games.

I think I might agree with nethack being a puzzle, but I haven't debased myself enough to want to play it

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
So far monster train is fun for me. Its very diffrent from Slay the Spire but its alright. All the basics of Slay the Spire are there but its less block oriented. dThe aethestics are really ugly (imo) but once you get used to it, not distracting at all.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

MMF Freeway posted:

Personal goal achieved, I've beaten TOME on insane. Tried out several classes and made it pretty far with a rogue and an archmage but ultimately I sealed the deal with a paradox mage. I can see why they are so lauded as the character felt pretty strong at all stages of the game. Died a couple times to losing control of my paradox and poo poo going absolutely bonkers but other that a few difficulty spikes it was pretty smooth sailing. I'm going to stick with insane from now on I think as I really enjoy the faster leveling and better loot. I might go for the insane roguelike victory since I accidentally started a roguelike run and surprised myself with how far I got. I'm also kind of interested in trying to make a really broken adventurer but I don't even know where to start. Anyone know some particularly OP skill tree combos that I could build off of?

last time I played adventurer I just abused the fact that there are 3 different classes that use guns and they each have their own gun mastery talent to create a class that shot things 3 times harder than they were supposed to be able to

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

cock hero flux posted:

last time I played adventurer I just abused the fact that there are 3 different classes that use guns and they each have their own gun mastery talent to create a class that shot things 3 times harder than they were supposed to be able to

Stack that with time warden trees and tinker a Rocket Boots attachment onto Eden's Guile artifact (dunno if it got patched so using an item breaks the sustain) so you can use Awesome Toss then just skate laps around the room at 2000% movespeed, with your guns firing every time you move.

e: nope, misremembered

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 26, 2020

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Anyone play the roguelite Fear and Hunger? It advertises itself as for adults only because of the body horror.

The steam link isn't working so here is an Itch.io link.

https://mirohaver.itch.io/fear-hunger

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Helical Nightmares posted:

Anyone play the roguelite Fear and Hunger? It advertises itself as for adults only because of the body horror.

I saw someone stream this once. It seemed...interesting. They certainly didn't pull any punches on their horror elements, including rape and dismemberment. It seemed like the kind of game that's very difficult to figure out the exact route to success.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

so it turns out that wearing a "counts as undead" belt makes blood of life not work on you, which is just one more reason why i loving hate nur, gently caress the entire concept of underwater dungeons

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

nrook posted:

I was kind of wondering how a character who cleared the castle managed to die in the mines, but NetHack can always find a way.

https://imgur.com/a/Gd3gYFt Here are most of my worldly possessions, not pictured big pile of polyfodder, food stash, another small stash on the quest entrance level.
Advice for what I should wish for? If I can find some unholy water I'll be able to reverse genocide some silver dragons or whatever with a scroll of genocide in a shop a couple of floors down, so I'm mostly leaning towards wishing up some more magic markers and a bag of holding (which I lack entirely).
I'm also entertaining the idea of polymorphing into an xorn and eating some my metal rings.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Also I was wondering if anyone wants to consider playing the june nethack tournament?
https://junethack.net/

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Helical Nightmares posted:

Fresh from my first play, I can assure you that body horror is not the only reason they warn you it is for adults only. My first character died (spoiled both for spoilers and because it's a bit beyond the scope of most roguelikes) to a giant ogre prison guard, who, on the second round of combat, readied his "stinger" (which came out from underneath his loincloth but did not literally look like a giant human penis, thankfully). Not being ready for whatever attack he was going to do next, for my next action I targeted it and lopped it off. One of the Steam reviews simply says ""How do I cure anal bleeding?" / 10" so I can guess what was coming next. He killed me the next round, which is rather understandable.

Past that, there are a number of literal coin flips in combat. From a little perusal (I didn't want any significant spoilers) it seems that as you learn the mechanics you find ways to avoid the literal coinflips and then just have to deal with the regular brutality of combat. I liked it enough I'm going to give it another few attempts at least. The atmosphere is excellent and although things like I described are in the game it doesn't seem to revel in them.

Edit: There does seem to be randomness in the layouts, but it's in fairly big chunks, and at least early on a lot of things are exactly the same. Enemies and loot gets moved around more though, and a lot of loot seems to just be completely random. Items are very significant and there are quite a few consumables, so this changes up your combat options. Some places have guaranteed equipment drops (on a coin flip), but otherwise gear is random too.

Mithross fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 26, 2020

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Any games like feel like liberal crime squad? There’s something I like about roguelike squad management games in a realistic-ish modern setting that don’t have forced pacing and huge variety of options in how you approach it.

LCS remains my favorite game of all time still. Streets of rogue kinda comes close in depending how you configure it it’s open ended enough and lets you choose risk/reward in how you go about things.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Mithross posted:

Fresh from my first play, I can assure you that body horror is not the only reason they warn you it is for adults only. My first character died (spoiled both for spoilers and because it's a bit beyond the scope of most roguelikes) to a giant ogre prison guard, who, on the second round of combat, readied his "stinger" (which came out from underneath his loincloth but did not literally look like a giant human penis, thankfully). Not being ready for whatever attack he was going to do next, for my next action I targeted it and lopped it off. One of the Steam reviews simply says ""How do I cure anal bleeding?" / 10" so I can guess what was coming next. He killed me the next round, which is rather understandable.

Past that, there are a number of literal coin flips in combat. From a little perusal (I didn't want any significant spoilers) it seems that as you learn the mechanics you find ways to avoid the literal coinflips and then just have to deal with the regular brutality of combat. I liked it enough I'm going to give it another few attempts at least. The atmosphere is excellent and although things like I described are in the game it doesn't seem to revel in them.

Edit: There does seem to be randomness in the layouts, but it's in fairly big chunks, and at least early on a lot of things are exactly the same. Enemies and loot gets moved around more though, and a lot of loot seems to just be completely random. Items are very significant and there are quite a few consumables, so this changes up your combat options. Some places have guaranteed equipment drops (on a coin flip), but otherwise gear is random too.

FATAL the roguelike does not sound like a good time

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Mithross posted:

:stonklol:

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Jazerus posted:

FATAL the roguelike does not sound like a good time

Reading about FATAL, yea. It isn't nearly as stupid about things, you don't have 50 stats or anything, but combat does involve a lot of dismemberment, enemies have multiple hitzones, and I see at least one name from FATAL that was copied directly to what I think is a sorta important early guy in F&H.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

John Lee posted:

I think the tax mechanic pushes you pretty hard to buy things from the shop - shop items are incredibly important for strength within a run, and if you're skipping them a lot you're going to relying a lot more on the grinding-levels version of progression, the worst one. Like, look at the run modifiers in the fountain: IIRC, "having one HP" is worth like ten levels of buffs, and "no shops" is worth fourteen. You've gotta have really grinded to feel okay with usually ignoring shops. Money sent to base is important, but shops overtake them after like five to eight runs. In my game, it wasn't uncommon for me and my friend to start new characters and make it through the third area, occasionally beyond, gaining ten or so levels along the way.

For early starting it pays to have every bit of gold you can imo, especially for buying up potion charges and some basics stats to help you get further. I generally agree this is more solid advice and should have added the cavet of "when you start hitting the soft cap of taxes keep any money to use in the dungeon". Shops are powerful, but also fickle RNG mistresses that don't always give you what you need/want.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I can't find the ETG thread so I'm asking here: which optional chambers do you all do each run? It seems like only Oubliette and the Abbey are worth going after; the Gnawed Key is so expensive at 115 (and the boss of that area so difficult) that it seems a net loss to struggle through; and I'm not sure R&G actually has anything

I'm struggling to get through Bullet Hell, only seen the Lich a couple times and got monstered utterly :(

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Streets of Rogue gave me a Goon quest to defend a vampire's hut next to a lake that caused shrinking. Easy work, if messy.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Quick Dungeons of Dredmor question: Anyone knows if wands, particularly pearlescent wands, can be purchased from vendor machines?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I...don't think so? But man it's been a long time since I played.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I...don't think so? But man it's been a long time since I played.

Ditto for me, I could have sworn that sometimes they did spawn from crafting vending machines but I haven't seen any so far.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

Ciaphas posted:

I can't find the ETG thread so I'm asking here: which optional chambers do you all do each run? It seems like only Oubliette and the Abbey are worth going after; the Gnawed Key is so expensive at 115 (and the boss of that area so difficult) that it seems a net loss to struggle through; and I'm not sure R&G actually has anything

I'm struggling to get through Bullet Hell, only seen the Lich a couple times and got monstered utterly :(

With good gameplay (you don't get casings from enemies that hurt you), finding secrets, and of course some luck you should be able to get the gnawed key almost every run as long as you go through the Oub. Of course this is only worth it if you can regularly beat all three phases of the Rat for the massive loot drops. Also the rat chest items make the rest of the game a ton easier.

I usually skip the Abbey unless I'm wicked OP as I find that boss and floor to be substantially less rewarding for the amount of effort it takes.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I always do oubliette unless there are two B chests or better on the first floor and I don't have enough keys. I do the abbey whenever I actually make it to the stairs with the crest intact, which is very close to never. The rat makes the game really stale imo so I stopped doing him entirely once I won the golden gloves.

Fourth secret level is totally worthless so I only even consider it if I'm on a god run.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I reverse genocided some silver dragons so I got my dragon armor back.
Honestly wondering what I should burn wishes on.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
It's been a while since I've played ETG but I always made a habit of doing oubliette because the boss was easy and the rewards were always solid. Granted, I played Pilot so it made things slightly easier. Almost never wanted to spend time on Abbey as the amount of hearts I'd lose plus the type of play I'd have to do to keep my crest on was annoyed compared to simply skipping. I've always found myself sufficiently powerful without Abbey and I've domed the Lich a few times.

Re: learning and getting better to recover from embarrassing deaths and be a better player, I was thinking about that last night as I plowed through early DCSS and Lair as a DrTm and then for whatever reason decided that I could stair dance four yaks and two spiny toads with Regen and blade hands because Maklheb would outheal the damage. One of the dumbest early game things I've done in a while based on the idea that I would be "cool" or "powerful" to take that fight and win as opposed to what actually happened which was a nine-headed hydra dogpiling in and rending me apart. It's part of that early game TAB fighting brain where I want to go fast and chop things up.

It made me think about how all my DCSS knowledge and fun is self-taught (mostly) and based on trial and error and misconceptions. I dearly love the game and have never ascended, but I keep coming back. One of these days.

Nethack has massive allure to me because whenever anyone talks about the game it sounds like Crawl but way more crunchy and esoteric. Which may be good or bad, but I'd like to think I enjoy that kind of thing. I've only tried playing a few times and am incredibly bad.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Zodack posted:

It's been a while since I've played ETG but I always made a habit of doing oubliette because the boss was easy and the rewards were always solid. Granted, I played Pilot so it made things slightly easier. Almost never wanted to spend time on Abbey as the amount of hearts I'd lose plus the type of play I'd have to do to keep my crest on was annoyed compared to simply skipping. I've always found myself sufficiently powerful without Abbey and I've domed the Lich a few times.

Re: learning and getting better to recover from embarrassing deaths and be a better player, I was thinking about that last night as I plowed through early DCSS and Lair as a DrTm and then for whatever reason decided that I could stair dance four yaks and two spiny toads with Regen and blade hands because Maklheb would outheal the damage. One of the dumbest early game things I've done in a while based on the idea that I would be "cool" or "powerful" to take that fight and win as opposed to what actually happened which was a nine-headed hydra dogpiling in and rending me apart. It's part of that early game TAB fighting brain where I want to go fast and chop things up.

It made me think about how all my DCSS knowledge and fun is self-taught (mostly) and based on trial and error and misconceptions. I dearly love the game and have never ascended, but I keep coming back. One of these days.

Nethack has massive allure to me because whenever anyone talks about the game it sounds like Crawl but way more crunchy and esoteric. Which may be good or bad, but I'd like to think I enjoy that kind of thing. I've only tried playing a few times and am incredibly bad.

If you want I could hold your hand on NAO which is pretty easy to set up.
https://alt.org/nethack/

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I think I honestly might wish for a saddle, polymorph myself into a gray dragon (I have a ring of poly and poly control) lay an egg and then ride my dragon child through Gehennom to slay demons because that sounds badass.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Lawman 0 posted:

If you want I could hold your hand on NAO which is pretty easy to set up.
https://alt.org/nethack/

This could be cool. I'm WFH in the sticks currently with abysmal internet, but afterwards I could work something out. I've given it a few swings and the early game hangups are familiarizing myself with all of the shortcuts (something that'll come with time), adjusting to followers, and figuring out what the heck I'm doing.

I'm also a child and have a harder time understanding a game with a tileset not as expressive or detailed as Crawl's.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Just polypilled myself a couple of saddles, tinning kits and a couple of good scrolls. :rms:
Time for a little dwarven trip to sokoban for...medical reasons. :yeshaha:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Just lost a max level character in Dungeonmans to the final attack of the final boss, and now I hate everything. Might need to take a break from this one for a little bit.

E: On the bright side I had 317 points to spend on stats for me new character, and over a hundred Mysterious Artifacts, 95% of which I sold off to start my new character's funds. Here's hoping I don't spend another 40 hours getting back to where I was...

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 28, 2020

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

C-Euro posted:

Just lost a max level character in Dungeonmans to the final attack of the final boss, and now I hate everything. Might need to take a break from this one for a little bit.

This EXACT thing happened to me, too. Boss had like, 5% left at most.

I accidentally ran out of the cover area from the attack that otherwise hits the whole screen.

:negative:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

No Wave posted:

Fourth secret level is totally worthless so I only even consider it if I'm on a god run.

I play robot a lot so the fourth secret level is effectively free for me to access. It's quick, easy enough, and gets me a synergy chest. I like it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Lawman 0 posted:

I reverse genocided some silver dragons so I got my dragon armor back.
Honestly wondering what I should burn wishes on.

Blessed greased fixed +2 cloak of magic resistance? Blessed figurine of an Archon? Blessed magic marker? Platinum Yendorian Express Card if neutral. Orb of Detection if lawful. The latter 2 can free up the cloak slot for protection or displacement.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The big v1.7 update for Tales of Maj'Eyal, whenever it actually happens(MAYBE not several months from now given the info dump), seems well stocked with a thorough Necromancer overhaul at the least:

https://te4.org/blogs/darkgod/2020/05/necromancer/patch-17-big-feature-preview-new-necromancers

You can practically see the handful or so of newly wrought hyperfocused Cormac gimmick runs manifest before you.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Yami Fenrir posted:

This EXACT thing happened to me, too. Boss had like, 5% left at most.

I accidentally ran out of the cover area from the attack that otherwise hits the whole screen.

:negative:

Honestly that makes me feel a little better now lol, so thank you. I thought the taunts about the world-ending attack were a sign that I had almost killed the boss so I thought "I better just finish him off, I think I can hurt him quickly enough to do it". Guess I'll look for that safe zone next time!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Stelas posted:

I play robot a lot so the fourth secret level is effectively free for me to access. It's quick, easy enough, and gets me a synergy chest. I like it.

Does Robot not get the damage upgrade from Master Rounds as well as not getting the heart container??

(edit) Wait they don't boost damage. Why did I think they boost damage?? Where am I??? :psyduck:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

In other news, man the Chamber Gun is completely busted if you get to Bullet Hell with it. Got my first Lich win yesterday :toot:

I LOVE the denouement, btw. Finally turning the tables on that gently caress :black101:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Crossposting from the Steam thread:

Dredmor run completed.

Decided to go with a straightforward wizard build relying mainly on psionics for damage (sweet sweet pyrokinesis) and decided to use astrology for the first and capstone skills, also throwed in Bankster in just for fun, never completed the entire tree and haven't played with it since insurance fraud was nerfed into oblivion. Bankster turned to be pretty useful, hedge fund is an incredibly potent defensive passive ability and money was never an issue, even thoug it would have been more useful in normal mode.

No time to Grind, Going Rogue, permadeth, no mods.

Build: Psionics, Bankster, Fleshsmithing, Astrology, Blood Magic, Leylines, Mathemagic.

The hard part of a build like this one is surviving the first four floors, if you do, sans extreme bad luck or being careless/impatient, you are probably going to win. I'm gonna be honest, I decided to pick this build because I wanted something that could complete the game as fast and possible and no crafting skills means I didn't need to bother with inventory management too much.

For some stupid reason the game started crashing often in floors 13 and 14, it was incredibly annoying and had to redo the same monster zoo three times. Decided to skip diggle hell and Vlad Diggula entirely, my main skill is fire damage and Diggula has a bazillion fire resistance and just didn't have enough holy damage to spare. Also skipped all pocket dimensions codes and mysterious portals, too much risked of getting stranded due to bugged maps.

Final stats before entering floor 15. Pretty decent magic power all things considered.

Encountered Lord Dick lurking next to the stairs. Look at that life, holy crap.

The fight itself is fairly simple, just keep teleporting away and throw poo poo at him until he dies. The most damaging attack in the game against Dredmor if you are a wizard is pearlescent wands, because he has crap holy resistances and the damage scales with magic power (extra damage to undead). Each cast did more than a hundred damage. Sadly, only had one wand. Sonic wands and holy hand grenades are also really useful.

Defensively speaking, I was fine, decent magic resist plus 50% damage reduction from Hedge Fund+a massive instant heal spell for 3 mana is pretty good.

gently caress you Lord Dredmor.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

ExiledTinkerer posted:

The big v1.7 update for Tales of Maj'Eyal, whenever it actually happens(MAYBE not several months from now given the info dump), seems well stocked with a thorough Necromancer overhaul at the least:

https://te4.org/blogs/darkgod/2020/05/necromancer/patch-17-big-feature-preview-new-necromancers

You can practically see the handful or so of newly wrought hyperfocused Cormac gimmick runs manifest before you.

Newcromancer is basically all coded, although balance and testing work has barely begun. So not "immediate", but not "in 2 years time" either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Can you tell us anything about Gravelord?