Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Bronze Fonz posted:

Besides VLC? It's working great on my lovely phone and has EQ.

Didn't even think of this. Thank you Brass Fonz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

sex excellence posted:

everything finder by voidtools - great replacement for the lovely win10 search indexing if you just need to find a specific file or folder. it can find any file, and fast.

This is basically compulsory, it's so drat good.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Death Rally

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Trabant posted:

^ Bizarre, it keeps failing on me.

Regardless, big thanks to Bronz Fonz for the JDownloader suggestion -- that worked! And as RepeatingMeme said, it does try to bundle other random poo poo with it, so be careful.
use youtube-dl.exe -U to make sure you have the most recent version

flash video downloader works for every site besides youtube with just a click

menutools lets you right-click a window titlebar to adjust cpu priority, transparency, always-on-top, minimize to tray

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
X-Mouse Button Control was what I went with instead of garbage bundled mouse software for my obscure mouse. Haven't really tried all the features but it was quick to set up!

https://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/XMouseButtonControl.htm

Also Solidworks wait no haha that poo poo is trash

Fireburner was cool back when you needed to over burn a CD or write an iso file. I don't really bother with that anymore. I think there's a free iso mounting tool anyway.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Literally A Person posted:

Can anyone recommend a good music player for android. Older is better as this is a v old piece of hardware.

Bop player on Fdroid is pretty good

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Every day of my life

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I used this thing for so many years, back when I had a couch to watch stuff on the computer from.

Vista Shutdown Timer does exactly that; you give it a specific time or set its timer, and it'll turn off your computer when it hits. It was great for falling asleep to series, without having to worry about the computer running.

http://www.vistashutdowntimer.toflo.de/

E:

They generally have tons of neat little utility programs at ToFlo.

http://www.tools.toflo.de/

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

zenintrude posted:

Every day of my life
unreadable thumbnail with no description

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 10:51 on May 25, 2020

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

gary oldmans diary posted:

unreadable thumbnail with no description

PLAYSTATION

e: I'm going to e-mail and refresh my Sony Play Station home computer system with this software :mmmhmm:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Bronze Fonz posted:

Besides VLC? It's working great on my lovely phone and has EQ.

Fonzie? How the heck do I get to the EQ on this thing???

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

menutools lets you right-click a window titlebar to adjust cpu priority, transparency, always-on-top, minimize to tray

Oh wow, this looks like basically an updated/maintained version of something I used years and years ago called powermenu.

This made me look up another tool I used back in the Win2K/XP days but eventually broke, sizer. It looks like that's come back from the dead, too http://www.brianapps.net/sizer4/

It lets you get super OCD about your window sizes:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

THE BAR posted:

I used this thing for so many years, back when I had a couch to watch stuff on the computer from.

Vista Shutdown Timer does exactly that; you give it a specific time or set its timer, and it'll turn off your computer when it hits. It was great for falling asleep to series, without having to worry about the computer running.

http://www.vistashutdowntimer.toflo.de/

E:

They generally have tons of neat little utility programs at ToFlo.

http://www.tools.toflo.de/

I don't really need to shut down on schedule often enough to justify having an app for this, but you can also run the command "shutdown /s /t 7200" to schedule a shutdown in 2 hours. Use /r instead to reboot, /f to force shutdown, or /a to abort.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

SO DEMANDING posted:

It lets you get super OCD about your window sizes:

gross. if want all your windows more accessible maybe just use smallwindows and that way you wont have to die from a stack of old newspapers falling on you

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Can anyone recommend a good music player for android. Older is better as this is a v old piece of hardware.
Poweramp has always been my android music program of choice.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

gross. if want all your windows more accessible maybe just use smallwindows and that way you wont have to die from a stack of old newspapers falling on you

It's not about making them more accessible it's about getting them to an exact size and hey don't touch those DON'T TOUCH MY NEWSPAPERS I'M GOING TO READ THOSE THOSE ARE IMPORTANT!!

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Fonzie? How the heck do I get to the EQ on this thing???

Yeah, it's gonna sound more convoluted than it really is but you won't get the EQ if you're on playlist or folder view.
You have the three lines on the top right corner for extra stuff but if you have something playing you'll have the playback controls at the bottom of the screen and other stuff, you need to pull that UP so you're now in "current media view" or whatever. Now you have three dots at the top right corner where you will find the Equalizer (it's a 10-band IIRC), you can save EQ settings etc. It will remain the current EQ through reboots etc until you change it.

You also might have access to it from the main menu (before going into folder or playlist or whatever).

It sounds more complicated than it is, when you see it it'll make more sense. VLC's the one that remained from all I've tried, gets me from "grab the phone" to "music is playing" in few enough clicks and does all I need it to, plus it plays pretty much any audio/video format you can think of.

e: what you need to "pull up" is what appears at the bottom once something starts playing.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Bronze Fonz posted:

Yeah, it's gonna sound more convoluted than it really is but you won't get the EQ if you're on playlist or folder view.
You have the three lines on the top right corner for extra stuff but if you have something playing you'll have the playback controls at the bottom of the screen and other stuff, you need to pull that UP so you're now in "current media view" or whatever. Now you have three dots at the top right corner where you will find the Equalizer (it's a 10-band IIRC), you can save EQ settings etc. It will remain the current EQ through reboots etc until you change it.

You also might have access to it from the main menu (before going into folder or playlist or whatever).

It sounds more complicated than it is, when you see it it'll make more sense. VLC's the one that remained from all I've tried, gets me from "grab the phone" to "music is playing" in few enough clicks and does all I need it to, plus it plays pretty much any audio/video format you can think of.

e: what you need to "pull up" is what appears at the bottom once something starts playing.

:aaaaa:

thanks

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

don't niche shame. maybe I like to precisely resize my windows to remind me of how my screen resolutions have progressed over the years!

look how leetle SA once was at 1024x768. i've come so far.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

3D Megadoodoo posted:

PLAYSTATION

e: I'm going to e-mail and refresh my Sony Play Station home computer system with this software :mmmhmm:

Reverse image search shows it's "DexPlorer", software for the DexDrive memory card readers.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

doctorfrog posted:

Yeah, I'm on Windows 10, sorry I forgot to mention. I want windows to snap to sides and corners without the resizing and screen-filling behavior. Just one of many features I got used to in my blackbox4windows days. To be honest, I value Windows' built-in snapping more and use it constantly, and wouldn't give it up for my old "free sticking" habits, but it would be nice to have my cake and eat it, too.

Sorry if already mentioned in the thread but MS is bringing back the old 'Power Toys' stuff, which includes the horribly named 'FancyZones' which may do what you want?

https://github.com/microsoft/PowerToys/tree/master/src/modules/fancyzones

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Didn't even think of this. Thank you Brass Fonz.

If you ever want to consider an app a little more designed to be your music player, BlackPlayer EX is fantastic but it has a 5-band, not a 3-band EQ

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Nuts and Gum posted:

Sorry if already mentioned in the thread but MS is bringing back the old 'Power Toys' stuff, which includes the horribly named 'FancyZones' which may do what you want?

:smith: the best power toy was a little utility called winalign
basically my computer in 1999 was as responsive and fast at booting and loading applications as you would see in youtube videos of people having 16 RAIDed SSDs in 2015
windows 98 SE was released well after this advantage was baked into compilers and it wasnt used

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

Bronze Fonz posted:

Now you have three dots at the top right corner where you will find the Equalizer (it's a 10-band IIRC), you can save EQ settings etc. It will remain the current EQ through reboots etc until you change it.

Showcasing this because VLC seems to be getting better and better. Hope the music UI continues to improve.

BV
Oct 23, 2005

NO ITS FUNNY. FUCK YOU. TIA

oh but seriously I posted:

The only good video games are

1)Muppet CD-Rom
2)Tekken Tag Tournament
3)End of list.

I was obsessed with tekken tag tournament on PS2 and would force my friend to play it with me over and over. We aren’t friends anymore.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Nuts and Gum posted:

Yeah, I heard of this in another thread. I loved the old Win '95 TweakUI, and there's an earnestness about this new set of tools normally absent from Microsoft's usual 'love it or leave it' UX changes.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

A ways back, there was a thread on SA where you could request a simple program and others would try to make it. Somebody requested a program that looked like it was doing something complicated but actually did nothing at all. Loading bars, scrolling text in fake DOS, pop-ups, the works. I think it was for slacking at work.

A bunch of goons made different versions, so I collected them all on a usb and ran them all on my friends' computers when they weren't looking. It was a lot of fun watching them freak out as their screens were covered in undecipherable hacking bullshit.

One of the programs was called Superdoer.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fruits of the sea posted:

A ways back, there was a thread on SA where you could request a simple program and others would try to make it. Somebody requested a program that looked like it was doing something complicated but actually did nothing at all. Loading bars, scrolling text in fake DOS, pop-ups, the works. I think it was for slacking at work.

A bunch of goons made different versions, so I collected them all on a usb and ran them all on my friends' computers when they weren't looking. It was a lot of fun watching them freak out as their screens were covered in undecipherable hacking bullshit.

so post the programs dont just tell us about it

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Rutibex posted:

so post the programs dont just tell us about it

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Fruits of the sea posted:

This is the original thread (Requires archives) in which Superdoer was made. Link to Superdoer is in the OP.

quote:

Superdoer

Written By: Fastbreak

Work

Written By: SifuToast

Requested By: Laws

Description:
Makes it look like your computer is busy doing very important things.

Link:
Superdoer:
http://coldmails.com/projects/superdoer.exe

Work:
http://www.vodence.com/images/sa/programs/work.zip
Note: the original image link still works, but I went ahead and mirrored it to imgur anyway.

This is the current thread.

fever
May 23, 2020
Winamp. Still whippin the llama's rear end in 2020!!

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
SoulseekQT is still alive and has endless amounts of p2p music. All the rarest poo poo your could ever want for free.
It never died, peoples hard drives just got bigger.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I love threads like this one. Let's see here...

XMPlay as music player.
xplorer lite as file manager.
Irfanview as image viewer.
ShareX for image capture.

I also used to have bblean as an alternative shell on my Windows setup years ago, but it was discontinued more than a decade ago I'm not sure about using it on Windows 10.
I might try bbZero one day as soon as I can be bothered with it. I like how my setup used to look some time ago.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Stathol posted:

Kaitai Struct

Kaitai struct does precisely that. It's like the yacc/bison of binary parsing. You express the file format in a tidy grammar and kaitai will generate the parser for you in a variety of programming languages. It also includes a visualizing hex editor that lets you browse through the hex by grammatical structure. This has a lot of users, but it is especially helpful when reverse engineering binary file formats, network messages, etc.

Thank you for posting this, it’s exactly what I need for a project I gave up on because of the pain of reverse engineering/parsing!

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Free Youtube Download from https://www.dvdvideosoft.com as the name implies it lets you download videos from youtube by pasting the url into the program. You can convert the video to different formats and keep a copy of the original, or just get the audio. Paid version lets you download playlists.

Some people have mentioned Desk Pins which is useful for keeping pinned windows on top even when other windows are active.

Clover because I'm still on Windows 7 out of laziness - this lets you have multiple tabs open in the same explorer window, might be useful to anyone running old VMs or something.

Dwarf Fortress definitely looks niche to anyone who has no idea what it is.

Serviio, like Plex, is for running a media server across a network. This has always worked fine for me and I've never needed anything else. If my computer is asleep I can try to access the server from across the house and Serviio will wake it up for me to save getting off the couch.

Thonny is a python interpreter and shell which helped me get started with the language. The interface is very simple and and lets you step into code you've written, so for example you can see what happens at each step, on every iteration of a loop to find where exactly you might be getting an error, or just to gain a better understanding of what is happening and when. It was a useful learning tool and I usually recommend it to people who are curious about programming.

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 10:42 on May 28, 2020

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Thought of some actual software to contribute

Ditto keeps all your clipboard history. Bind it to some keypress, it pops up a little box in the corner of your screen, you can search your history or use the number keys for the most recent entries. I use a Mac now for work and I still haven’t found a good replacement for this. https://sourceforge.net/projects/ditto-cp/

I don’t like the windows snipping tool, I like Greenshot https://getgreenshot.org/

Inform 7. I don’t use this but I truly admire and love the insanity of its premise. Make text adventures using natural language. http://inform7.com/ Tear your hair out as you attempt to describe to a dumb computer how the world works:

quote:

A thing can be waterproof or porous. A container is usually waterproof. An animal is usually waterproof.
A thing can be sodden or dry.
A container can be waterfilled or empty.
Before printing the name of a sodden thing: say "sodden ". Understand the sodden property as describing a thing.
The player wears a pair of woolly gloves. Instead of wearing a sodden thing: say "You dubiously contemplate [the noun], and decide it's best to wear dry clothing."

REALLY niche software: the tools Chris Double made for the Creatures games. Creatures was a 90s ‘Artificial Life’ game series where you looked after little cyberpets. The gimmick was that they had neural networks, realistic biochemistry, Digital DNA, etc. These tools let you tinker with their brains and genes. http://double.nz/creatures/

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
SyncToy is pretty dated compared to some of the file managers that have already been mentioned, but if you need something that you can automate to clone directories between places, it's really quite good.

It's also a good replacement for those of us who never got over Microsoft binning off Briefcases years ago.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=15155

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
Bvckup2
https://bvckup2.com/

Simple tool to synchronize directories with useful options for performing backups.
I've paid for this and it has worked excellently in small business environments.
Fast and reliable tool.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Theophany posted:

SyncToy is pretty dated compared to some of the file managers that have already been mentioned, but if you need something that you can automate to clone directories between places, it's really quite good.

It's also a good replacement for those of us who never got over Microsoft binning off Briefcases years ago.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=15155

I loved that for a while, but I started to notice that it was sometimes skipping some files and was apparently a known issue at the time so I switched to SyncbackFree

https://www.2brightsparks.com/download-syncbackfree.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

pseudorandom posted:

This is the original thread (Requires archives) in which Superdoer was made. Link to Superdoer is in the OP.

Note: the original image link still works, but I went ahead and mirrored it to imgur anyway.

This is the current thread.

gasp