Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Can You Pet The Dog twitter account going to be having conniptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You can Willy Pete the dog in The Last Of Us 2

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Stux posted:

youve just tried to redefine fun to the point schindlers list or a documentary about AIDS is "fun" or even enjoyable, theyre explicitly neither and not supposed to be either. no one enjoys watching things like that but pure enjoyment or fun isnt the sole single metric for media and nor should it be.

The Last of Us 2: pure enjoyment or fun isnt the sole single metric for media and nor should it be

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

really promising for a game when people start arguing about whether or not entertainment should be enjoyable

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Its sorta nitpicky, but enjoyment reads like the wrong word to address what you can get out of certain pieces of media. Saying I enjoyed documentary like hypernormailsation or a film like Green room doesn't sound sound right, even if I would reccomend both experience.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Anybody still posting itt should be familiar with the concept of not doing things for enjoyment.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Starks posted:

really promising for a game when people start arguing about whether or not entertainment should be enjoyable

media doesnt have to be enjoyable, no. lots of things shouldnt be because of the subject matter and making them enjoyable experiences would be cheapening it.

this isnt me saying tlou2 is going to be successful in doing anything at all, but if you have a blanket mindset that all games/films/books/whatever have to be fun and enjoyable then i dont know what to say, because thats bizarre.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lot of conflating "fun," "enjoyable," and "worthwhile" on this page

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
What would be a good word for what they're going for? Cathartic? Compelling?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

JustaDamnFool posted:

What would be a good word for what they're going for? Cathartic? Compelling?

the Citizen Kane of gaming

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Rosebud was the Ellie's nickname for the gun she used to shoot all those dogs

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

lotta pedants here. a game doesn't have to "fun" per se but it should be competitive or challenging in a satisfying way. a game with bad gameplay mechanics is just a bad game regardless of anything else, the same way that a movie with lovely acting/directing is a bad movie or a novel with poor writing is a bad novel.

it's literally called a "game". if you don't wanna play it and you just wanna watch the cutscenes, it's a bad game

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I don't think "bad gameplay" is necessarily what anyone is talking about when they talk about TLoU (1 or 2) not being traditionally "fun." The actual gameplay mechanics in the original are perfectly competent, even if it isn't the best stealth or action game ever made--it has a satisfying loop and does a good job of putting you into situations where you have to scrap and improvise in combat. I fully expect TLoU2 to do pretty much that, maybe more refined and better. The "it's not necessarily trying to be 'fun'" thing is almost certainly more about the atmosphere, story, and general tone.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

https://twitter.com/Polygon/status/1265747331674255360?s=19

is this better or worse than all the dog killing

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
That's quite a thread title.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Harrow posted:

I don't think "bad gameplay" is necessarily what anyone is talking about when they talk about TLoU (1 or 2) not being traditionally "fun." The actual gameplay mechanics in the original are perfectly competent, even if it isn't the best stealth or action game ever made--it has a satisfying loop and does a good job of putting you into situations where you have to scrap and improvise in combat. I fully expect TLoU2 to do pretty much that, maybe more refined and better. The "it's not necessarily trying to be 'fun'" thing is almost certainly more about the atmosphere, story, and general tone.

oh lol that's even dumber than what I thought was going on. RE2Make wasn't fun either by that criteria (wrong its the best game, fight me)

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Zongerian posted:

AIDS documentary Last Of Us 2

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Stux posted:

do you carry this limitation over to other media or is it only games

No because other media can have more to offer than just entertainment

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Congrats to Stux for getting at least one person to spend money over TLoU2 lmao

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

fridge corn posted:

lol

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

fridge corn posted:

lol

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Starks posted:

lotta pedants here. a game doesn't have to "fun" per se but it should be competitive or challenging in a satisfying way. a game with bad gameplay mechanics is just a bad game regardless of anything else, the same way that a movie with lovely acting/directing is a bad movie or a novel with poor writing is a bad novel.

it's literally called a "game". if you don't wanna play it and you just wanna watch the cutscenes, it's a bad game

Any piece of media can be better than the sum of its parts. There's tons of games with bad gameplay, or at least weak areas of gameplay, that get covered in other areas, same with films, ect.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Threads starting to get a real hostile vibe lads. Keep it chill.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Infinitum posted:

Yeah I know which summer game is getting my money

https://twitter.com/CanYouPetTheDog/status/1261301718240935944

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

JustaDamnFool posted:

Any piece of media can be better than the sum of its parts. There's tons of games with bad gameplay, or at least weak areas of gameplay, that get covered in other areas, same with films, ect.

yeah for example the aiming and driving in deadly premonition even after it got "fixed" are some of the worst controls and mechanics in a video game, yet its still an amazing game.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:hmmyes:

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Media doesn't have to be fun to be worth engaging with, but there better be something else on offer a hell of a lot more compelling than Naughty Dog's previous writing. The leaks do not show this. They show juvenile shock and edginess.

Games are also often orders of magnitude longer than other media. A profound or at least interesting statement about something serious or an enthralling tragedy is hard enough to stretch across a 90 minute movie or a book you can read in a night or two. Vastly fewer tv series pull it off and most successful tv series that try tend to be short, introduce enough levity or enjoyable stuff to alleviate things or gently caress it up. A thirty to hundred hour game is a much much bigger ask. Like most games I can think of that are both worthwhile and not traditionally fun are short indie things that can be smashed out easily in shorter timeframes for a reason.

But this argument is kind of dumb cause TLOU puts enough effort into trying to make combat fun even with a sprinkling of gratuitous puppy snuff that they're obviously trying to have their cake and eat it too rather than commit to even the degree Death Stranding did.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

A Sometimes Food posted:

But this argument is kind of dumb cause TLOU puts enough effort into trying to make combat fun even with a sprinkling of gratuitous puppy snuff that they're obviously trying to have their cake and eat it too rather than commit to even the degree Death Stranding did.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Infinitum posted:

you can pet the dog with your nuclear arms

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

The reason I'll turn the playstation on is very different to reason I'll open a book, I don't see what's so lol about that

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

a AAA game by its nature cannot commit to that extent unless you are Literally Kojima, and i think its better for AAAs to be trying absolutely anything beyond what regularly passes for AAAs because its currently completely dire

i think you could pull a bunch off stuff out of tlou1 without the rest of the games context and have it look edgy

i think the length argument falls apart given there are plenty of books which sit at the same length as your average game, and most of the best known "serious" TV shows are significantly lengthy

i agree that its really just indies that manage it currently but that doesnt mean i dont think anyone else should try. the argument at this point is way beyond tlou2 specifically because ive said multiple times i have no idea if it will do anything, but people have started posting that games as a whole shouldnt bother which is inane to me.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

fridge corn posted:

The reason I'll turn the playstation on is very different to reason I'll open a book, I don't see what's so lol about that

for example

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
Is this game going to piss people off more than Mass Effect 3's ending?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Technowrite posted:

no

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Technowrite posted:

That'd be quite a feat, people are still talking about Mass Effect 3 whenever a "bad game ending" discussion comes up 8 years later.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
We'll know for certain when the game actually comes out. Right now all we've got is speculation.

The leaks might of actually worked out in ND's favour, as most of the people overly invested have probably already worked out their anger out.

Vagabong fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 28, 2020

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

This game could be the worst thing ever made and it would not get the same reaction as the ME3 ending

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Andrast posted:

This game could be the worst thing ever made and it would not get the same reaction as the ME3 ending

can you imagine if that game's ending leaked before release

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Didn't it? I thought it came out early and they did re-writes that contributed to the endings badness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

It’s already pissing people off more just by having a girl who works out as a character. Just look at the subreddit (or don’t. Maybe don’t.)