Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Xakura posted:

You know MFDs exist, right? This is a solved problem. Combined with some sort of hands-on control device with contextual inputs.

Yeah, and MFDs are exactly what NASA selected for use on Orion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Xakura posted:

You know MFDs exist, right? This is a solved problem. Combined with some sort of hands-on control device with contextual inputs.

MFDs are great too. But everyone keeps acting like they're going to be using it to hand fly the ship while keeping earth centered in a viewport when that's just not how the spacecraft is designed, regardless of what kind of HMI they're using. For interfacing with the many, many onboard systems while floating in zero G, I really don't see why a touch screen is a bad choice.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

`Nemesis posted:

The capsule is basically a cargo container with life support and displays to make the humans feel more comfortable, drat near everything is automatic and or done from the ground. There’s nothing for the humans to control.

Cargo has been docking fully automatically to the ISS for many years.

Soyuz docks. Cargo dragon is berthed.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

grillster posted:

I'm not demanding anything. I bet gas powered vehicles and holographic controls won't cross breeds though.

Should we take a poll?
Preferred developer for our brain implant:
  • Elon Musk
  • Bill Gates
  • Jeff Bezos
  • Linus Torvalds
  • Richard Stallman

Gabe Newell

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Gabe Newell

Chris Roberts

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

thekeeshman posted:

Chris Roberts

Darude Sandstorm

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Bad Munki posted:

Darude Sandstorm

Radium

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Cartoon Man posted:

https://i.imgur.com/P9QVPTH.mp4

Not sure this is much safer than the wingsuit people.

His butt touches the ground at one point. Beware the rear end dragons!

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Notch

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Bad Munki posted:

Gabe Newell

Coming soon first half of 2022 in four days shortly 2024 October we're working with developers no later than 2026 before the end of 2027 2032.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Do y'all not know about he fing-longer they use for Soyuz?

Crews are strapped in enough that they use a pistol grip wand to mash buttons.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
And that's what it would be like if I had invented the finglonger.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Lake of Methane posted:

Do y'all not know about he fing-longer they use for Soyuz?

Crews are strapped in enough that they use a pistol grip wand to mash buttons.

Truly, a user interface worse than touchscreens

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

grillster posted:

• Elon Musk
  • Bill Gates
  • Jeff Bezos
  • Linus Torvalds
  • Richard Stallman
John McAfee would probably bring some exciting insights...

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

Whooping Crabs posted:

His butt touches the ground at one point. Beware the rear end dragons!

He also almost runs into two hikers at the end. Just after 0:50

Sex Skeleton fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 28, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Xakura posted:

MFDs with soft keys are superior to touchscreens for proprioceptive targeting (i.e. the button is always in the same place and you can feel for it with your fingertips). They are somewhat less flexible than a full touchscreen because you're limited to placing buttons around the periphery of the screen and can't use size- or position-based hierarchies for contrast. The button that fires the eject system would have the same visual weight as the one that flushes the toilet. There are pros and cons to both.

I agree that MFDs are better than touchscreens if the display is a primary input method in a challenging situation. Does anyone in this thread even know what is on the screens? Are the astronauts expected to even touch the touchscreen at all between engine ignition and cutout?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Sagebrush posted:

Are the astronauts expected to even touch the touchscreen at all between engine ignition and cutout?

I guess we'll find out when they switch the onscreen button locations without telling the astronauts.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Oh poo poo why did MuskOS reboot for an OTA update on reentry?! aaaaaaaaaaaaa

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
In order to open the Re-entry app, you must perform a system update to continue. Press cancel to continue in offline mode.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Can't launch until you agree to the EULA.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

grillster posted:

Should we take a poll?
  • Elon Musk
  • Bill Gates
  • Jeff Bezos
  • Linus Torvalds
  • Richard Stallman

Terry A. Davis

drat, he's dead

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
ISS misclassified as green traffic light, six astronauts lost

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Houston, we have a problem: The lunar module bricked itself.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
comm-radio.apk has crashed

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Life support doesn't turn on during software updates.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Phanatic posted:

Apollo 13 involved exactly what you're saying doesn't happen.

Apollo 13’s big created-in-situ fix, the CO2 scrubber adapters, was a pre-written emergency procedure. Someone dumping a box full of random poo poo onto a table in front of a bunch of rattled engineers in response to climbing carbon dioxide levels never happened.

Let illectro learn y'all's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPBKBOuyYPI

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Nth Doctor posted:

Apollo 13’s big created-in-situ fix, the CO2 scrubber adapters, was a pre-written emergency procedure. Someone dumping a box full of random poo poo onto a table in front of a bunch of rattled engineers in response to climbing carbon dioxide levels never happened.
So if NASA knew there was a possibility that the astronauts would need to create adapters to allow using rectangular scrubbers with round holes, why wouldn't NASA just require that the command module and the lunar module use scrubbers with the same dimensions? I realize that the command module and lunar module were built by different contractors, but is it that difficult to come up with a common scrubber design and mandate that both modules use it?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Because they were driving to meet the schedule goal of getting there before the 60s were out. Redesigning for different filters certainly could have been done, but on a project where pounds and months matter, you don't do that, especially for something that may never come up.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

azurite posted:

I guess we'll find out when they switch the onscreen button locations without telling the astronauts.

Burn for orbital insertion in three two one mark

FAAART.wav

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Probably because both spacecraft were being concurrently developed as fast as possible by two different teams in two different companies on two different sides of the country.

The emergency adaptation procedure probably got developed after a test and training engineer at nasa got a look at both scrubber canister types and realized it might be a problem.

Remember the first manned Apollo flight went up in October of '68. The deadline was December '69. the LEM didn't fly until march of that year.

Having two teams go back and redesign poo poo that already works is not a great use of brain time.

Then you have to build, test, and rework the hardware you already built.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 23, 2021

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Phanatic posted:

Sometimes I'm amazed by how much blood there isn't.

Someone in the comments pointed out that was probably a little bit post incident. The disembowelment probably wasn't as dramatic as the photo but apparently to help them heal they will just pull all the guts out like that and keep them outside the body for up to a week to let the swelling go down

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

oh christ imagine having a box slide or avalanche in flight... i think we actually have footage of that
https://imgur.com/rdxFpkN

its a bird flying into a window while the plane is landing. there's sound. linked intsead of embedded cuz of the, ya know, death

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 28, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Nth Doctor posted:

Let illectro learn y'all's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPBKBOuyYPI

Yes, but a lot of the things they were doing actually was rerouting power from life support to thrusters or whatever. They had the budget of whatever power the LEM batteries and fuel cells had left and that had to be divided between keeping the astronauts alive, knowing where they were and how fast they were going, and recharging the command module batteries.

A lot of that stuff was made up on the fly and was basically a few guys who knew how much power every system used and asking teams what the bare minimum systems they needed and how to fit that into a budget. And that was after shutting everything down without knowing what would even come back. They designed the budget with a small surplus just in case. Then someone remembered that they used up a bunch of the batteries meant for re-entry. They ate up the rest of the budget by charging those batteries with very lossy cables from the LM to the CM.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Everything is jammed in except the top layer, unless the plane starts doing rolls for shits and gigs it’s fiiiiiine

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

KoRMaK posted:

oh christ imagine having a box slide or avalanche in flight... i think we actually have footage of that
https://imgur.com/rdxFpkN

its a bird flying into a window while the plane is landing. there's sound. linked intsead of embedded cuz of the, ya know, death

Turning on the wipers would've gone full bathos.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 23, 2021

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

LanceHunter posted:

The beneficial aspect of using a touch screen is that it's "more like Star Trek".

Star Trek has deeply shaped the public perception of space flight, and so the public thinks that space flight is more advanced the more it looks like Star Trek. And since all manned space flight is at best a publicity stunt to encourage more public investment in the aspects of space exploration that have actual scientific benefit, the more you impress the bazingas the more effective the mission.

Is that why they're building straight up Gattaca rockets?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

B-Rock452 posted:

OSHA IV: The disembowelment probably wasn't as dramatic as the photo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://i.imgur.com/aONHscc.mp4