Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
According to the government's own bullshit figures, 412 people died of corona yesterday. Loosening the lockdown now is premature and will kill a lot of people, and it's so goddamn transparent that it's just being done to take the spotlight off Dominic Cummings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Guavanaut posted:

Is he the one who wanted Wales to stop existing so that he could go to the seaside or was that one of the other Shropshire Tories?
Yeah, that was him. He also (as I was reminded earlier) tweeted a graph of UK national debt that claimed to show how much the previous Labour government had increased it, when actually the graph quite clearly showed that the debt increased sharply just as the Tories came to power in 2010 and continued to rise after that.

He also claimed that the UK received no aid in the Marshall Plan after WW2 and then had to backtrack and apologise for being wrong when everyone pointed out how much of an idiot he was.

Not the brightest star in the constellation, for sure.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Any news when they are opening up gyms? My mental health has taken a deep dive.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
It's insane that they're not even waiting to see what opening schools does to the transmission rate before pressing ahead with this.

200,000 dead by the end of summer?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

a pipe smoking dog posted:

It's insane that they're not even waiting to see what opening schools does to the transmission rate before pressing ahead with this.

200,000 dead by the end of summer?

Quite possible

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Presumably with infection being so widespread and the 2 week delay the next peak is going to be higher than the first, depending on how many people stay at home anyway.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

willie_dee posted:

It won't just be your mental health taking a dive if you go near a gym.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

The thing that still entirely baffles me is how they think this will help the economy. If there is one thing that is terrible for the economy it's a very large number of people dying or being incapacitated.

How are they so loving dumb?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Exercise outside instead. If it's the awkward eye contact with strangers you miss from the gym just go and stand by a set of traffic lights maybe

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

willie_dee posted:

ngl I've been pretty rough & all & would definitely be thinking the same thing if I didn't have enough bits & pieces at home for a half-decent workout, but going to the gym during a pandemic is a seriously bad idea so for everyone's benefit I really hope it's not anytime soon

just a shame vultures have bought up all the weights from every online store and are selling it at about 400% markups on ebay. You can probably put something together with bodyweight stuff & a backpack full of heavy stuff?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
lol Boris is taking live questions and is outright ignoring Dominic related questions.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The thing that still entirely baffles me is how they think this will help the economy. If there is one thing that is terrible for the economy it's a very large number of people dying or being incapacitated.

Because they're the failsons of failsons who have failed all the way to the top of the neolib heap.

Also capitalism is not known for its long term planning, money now and gently caress tomorrow.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

I'm working through the big PHE stats release and there is some crazy stuff in there.
https://assets.publishing.service.g...y_w22_Final.pdf

-London antibody surveilance indicates 14.8% of the greater London population has already had the virus.
-BME groups have 50% higher rates of infection than white and much much much worse clinical outcomes.
-There was a two week period in the middle of April where 70-80% of the tests on people aged 70+ were coming back positive.

Remember how they turfed all the elderly people out of hospitals at the end of March without tests or PPE for staff? Yeah loving look at that mass of care home outbreaks while they were supposed to be 'shielding.'

ShadowSpectre
Oct 6, 2016
I had a brainwave and made this

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Been having a "fun" disagreement today on another forum that I can't stop touching the poop in, where the consensus is that "kicking the marxists out" of Labour is a desirable thing and Labour is fundamentally incompatible with Marxism. My quoting Keir Hardie's praise for Marx hasn't done much to sway anyone.

It's always a blast to see how liberals think. Exhausting, though.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

happyhippy posted:

lol Boris is taking live questions and is outright ignoring Dominic related questions.

He clearly only had two sentences prepared in response to all the questions and knew how repetitive it'd be if he acknowledged the questions. Shame it was quite easy since there were other questions mixed in that he could answer.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you remove the marxists from labour what's even the difference between them and the liberal democrats?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

willie_dee posted:

Gyms/clubs/religious buildings are hugely high risk. Lots of heavy breathing/sweating/touching the same equipment etc. Don't go anywhere near them honestly.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

OwlFancier posted:

If you remove the marxists from labour what's even the difference between them and the liberal democrats?

I think that's the point.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

OwlFancier posted:

branding

which probably illuminates why they think it's incompatible with Marxism, because a brand is all they regard it as

(joke answer: 150 MPs or so)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

sebzilla posted:

I think that's the point.

Sure but like, why don't they just join the lib dems, if you're looking for things to annoy them by asking.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Jedit posted:

The death rate from COVID-19 would not have been zero whatever they did.

Kerala doesn't have a single *transmission* in-state because they began extensive mandatory quarantine poo poo in january, pretty much the same day the health minister was given a heads up

Disease can't kill anyone if nobody catches it

OwlFancier posted:

you don't need to be a self-aware marxist to not be vince cable

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Spangly A posted:

you don't need to be a self-aware marxist to not be vince cable

I would venture that you absolutely do need the anchor of the committed left wing of various stripes to not become the party of vince cable.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Authoritarianism.

Labour will be the party of kinder küche kirche, Lib Dems will be the party of tutting at that from their 5 seats while voting for fiscal collapse.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

The Lib Dems are way more pro-civil liberties than New Labour. New Labour had such a hard-on for reactionary authoritarianism in the most mundane ways.

The freer the markets the more oppressed the people.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

grauniad posted:

The chief scientific adviser, Sir Patrick Vallance, underlined the fact that there was little room for manoeuvre, with 54,000 new cases last week, which he called “a significant burden of infection”, and the infection rate, or R, still, “close to 1”.

“It’s still the case that the vast majority of us have not had the infection: and this is a virus to which all of us are susceptible,” Vallance said.

The prime minister was also keen to underline the limited nature of the changes. “I cannot, and will not, throw away all the gains we have made together – and so the changes we have made are limited and cautious.”

Johnson confirmed that outdoor retail, such as markets and car showrooms, will be allowed to open from Monday, and other non-essential shops a fortnight later, provided they abide by Covid-secure guidelines.
lol give over, you're opening a bunch of poo poo including schools all at once, effectively ending any restriction on meeting other people and hinting that pubs will reopen next month, don't loving patronise us by saying it's "limited and cautious"

e: also as someone who actually likes pubs I'd rather they didn't "reopen" next month, because what that actually means is everything other than wetherspoons immediately going under. In some of my favourites round here there's not even two metres of room between the bar and the opposite wall and limited outdoor seating

XMNN fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 28, 2020

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

In good news I've suggested in the local whatsapp group that we stop clapping and instead of biting my head off it turns out everyone thinks the same thing but was too nervous to suggest it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

frankenbeans posted:

I have no idea who this guy is and haven't listened to the podcast. But UK Podcasting Federation is a joke, right? Their twitter account is all of 3 days old. If it's not, then goddamn.

Also, they can gently caress off with 'podfluencers'.

They're extremely serious, and I'd thank you not to dismiss this important (if new) body imbued with the full weight and majesty of the UK Podcasting Community.

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

willie_dee posted:

Check out the king of YouTube fitness Athlean-X, he put together a home bodyweight workout at the start of the lockdown:

https://youtu.be/vc1E5CfRfos

He's also got a 'sore in 6 minutes' series which has some bodyweight versions.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

In good news I've suggested in the local whatsapp group that we stop clapping and instead of biting my head off it turns out everyone thinks the same thing but was too nervous to suggest it.

I didn't even start.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Saros posted:

Remember how they turfed all the elderly people out of hospitals at the end of March without tests or PPE for staff? Yeah loving look at that mass of care home outbreaks while they were supposed to be 'shielding.'

Spoiler alert: that was the plan

https://twitter.com/Dominique_ITV/status/1266054718578704391

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

that's how you act when your inbred brain is being eaten by roni

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Algol Star posted:

Check out the king of YouTube fitness Athlean-X, he put together a home bodyweight workout at the start of the lockdown:

https://youtu.be/vc1E5CfRfos

He's also got a 'sore in 6 minutes' series which has some bodyweight versions.

I found his videos the other day while looking for tips on bench pressing technique and he seems pretty good, explains stuff clearly and in basic enough language to follow.

For anyone after weights, I scored a bench plus 50kg off Argos last weekend after a week or so of trying. I put it in my basket when it was out of stock and refreshed a few times a day until it offered collection from store, so it's worth a try.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
On posting on FB about England telling cancer, asthma and other people they were no longer going to be considered special and food parcels would cease (article in Graun - phone posting so can't link) person on my Friends comments 'they can shop online'.
Well maybe a few could but many are elderly, don't have internet or smart phones, delivery slots are hard to get. Naturally this person showing so much empathy is a Tory.
(My mum for one can't shop online because she has a hand tremor that makes it almost impossible to get a cursor in a box - she's ended up accidentally buying double coach tickets etc when she's tried.)

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President

Skilbs posted:

I was told today that my employer won't be continuing to furlough me past the end of July. There might be some work appearing soon that will mean I can come back to work from furlough then but as it stands I have been given 2 months' notice. This is likely to be happening to everyone who works here. I expected this as there is no work to do apart from a skeleton crew so there is no money to pay for even a 20% contribution. I suspect this is deliberate to force people out of work onto UC and that later they will revert the furlough scheme to its original form but disqualify us from being brought back onto furlough.

Some of you may remember I had been receiving threats from other employees about my union activity. Nothing ever came from that but the majority of people just accepted the paycut so it was imposed on everyone who didn't get furloughed. Word is some departments stuck together and are not receiving paycuts.

We were planning on buying a house this year but now I expect most of the deposit will be going to our landlord instead.

Hopefully now filming is slowly starting up around the world they are able to get enough stuff recorded to keep us busy during the second wave. Or will the Snyder Cut save me?

Man that sucks I hope you land on your feet. I've been hearing rumblings that a lot of commerical property leases are due on July 1st and most businesses are going to just say gently caress it. I fear this means a lot of businesses are at risk of closing up shop:

warnergoodman.co.uk posted:

Currently, from 26 March 2020 until 30 June 2020, the ability to forfeit a commercial lease for non-payment of the rent has been suspended by the Government following the passing of the Coronavirus Act 2020. You cannot therefore take the usual steps to evict your tenant at present. However, from 1 July 2020, unless the Government guidance changes, you will be able to forfeit the lease and recover the property from this point.

I don't know if this has come up during PMQs or some poo poo but the news that Brexit is going full steam ahead and complete lack of confidence in this current government will sink us even further unfortunately.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

On posting on FB about England telling cancer, asthma and other people they were no longer going to be considered special and food parcels would cease (article in Graun - phone posting so can't link) person on my Friends comments 'they can shop online'.
Well maybe a few could but many are elderly, don't have internet or smart phones, delivery slots are hard to get. Naturally this person showing so much empathy is a Tory.
(My mum for one can't shop online because she has a hand tremor that makes it almost impossible to get a cursor in a box - she's ended up accidentally buying double coach tickets etc when she's tried.)

Is there no bottom to this barrel?

https://twitter.com/Coldwar_Steve/status/1266000890567196672

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

That episode of Byker Grove still haunts me to this day.

MY EYES!!!

I have never paintballed because of PJ & Duncan.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

The hospitals will just fall over again. If there's one bit of good news, that's not really good, it's that we can't brute force our way through this like America is doing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Regarde Aduck posted:

The hospitals will just fall over again. If there's one bit of good news, that's not really good, it's that we can't brute force our way through this like America is doing.

Are they using their massive slack capacity in the healthcare system combined with not having the government be responsible for it?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Saros posted:

I'm working through the big PHE stats release and there is some crazy stuff in there.
https://assets.publishing.service.g...y_w22_Final.pdf

-London antibody surveilance indicates 14.8% of the greater London population has already had the virus.
-BME groups have 50% higher rates of infection than white and much much much worse clinical outcomes.
-There was a two week period in the middle of April where 70-80% of the tests on people aged 70+ were coming back positive.

no no, the carehomes are the ones who shield the hospitals by acting as ablative armour
i think, since the NHS is on the brink of overwork at the best of times the govmt correctly realised it couldnt withstand even 1% of the pressure coming its way and kept as many people out of the hospitals as possible even if it kills them. makes sense why our death rate is so high

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Possibly from the same people that brought you Beans In The Backside

https://twitter.com/DomCasebook/status/1265997820093501441