Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It would kinda own to occasionally find a pre-leveled materia in the later parts of the game. That'd feel like a cool bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I hope they make they force the subtitles to be on in boss battle cutscenes and have the hold square for menu button bounce along on them so people don't miss it in part two.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I was trying to remember which JRPG I was trying to think of that didn't have any consumable healing items--Xenoblade. That's what I was trying to remember.

Of course that series has tons of exploring and random items to pick up, just not for consumable healing items, so it's not quite an illustration of what I would expect from FF7R (though I suppose the large, open zones might appear in the next one).

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Sapozhnik posted:

Nowhere is Square's inability to write an in-house game engine or manage a project worth a drat more tragic than in FFXIII. Its aesthetics were far and away the best in the whole series, and the combat is really good too. It could have been an entry as strong as VII if it didn't have an insane nonsense plot that disappeared entirely up its own rear end.

Even the bare bones of plot are there, I absolutely love the fighting fate and going against what other people tell you you have to be theme, it was just shot in the kneecaps by having no overall cohesion while in Cocoon. You blink away from half of your party for a chapter, and then when you come back they're in a completely different environment, no mention of how they got there, where it is relative to the last place you saw them, or even really where they're going. This changes massively on Cocoon, where every area is actually connected to the next area, and it helps a ton.

It makes me wonder about the future of FF7R, when we're in the World Map Zone, if we're just going to be shuttled from place to place and break the continuity of the world like that, have a FFX-style world map with a representation of Cloud walking around dotted lines, or actually move from place to place.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, FFXIII has a fantastic setup. The idea that your characters are chosen by the gods and given miraculous powers but that it is an awful lose-lose situation that they scramble to find a way out of (or just to survive) is a great premise.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Harrow posted:

I was trying to remember which JRPG I was trying to think of that didn't have any consumable healing items--Xenoblade. That's what I was trying to remember.

Of course that series has tons of exploring and random items to pick up, just not for consumable healing items, so it's not quite an illustration of what I would expect from FF7R (though I suppose the large, open zones might appear in the next one).

Xenoblade also has the opposite problem where important crafting items are not necessarily guaranteed and require repeated farming of specific drop points.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Xenoblade also has the opposite problem where important crafting items are not necessarily guaranteed and require repeated farming of specific drop points.

Yeah, it definitely isn't comparable and has its own issues, so it's not necessarily the best example I could use.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Harrow posted:

This is why I think ditching consumables entirely might not be the worst idea, assuming the normal mode is balanced around their absence. I'm sure it'd be weird to have a Final Fantasy without Potions and Phoenix Downs, but hey, FFVIII ditched almost the entire equipment system and it even kinda worked, so it wouldn't be the biggest leap the series has made.

New materia, weapons, armor, and accessories feel good as rewards if you go out of your way for them (and I like how they sometimes put in little optional light puzzles to get a shiny new materia you can see but need to figure out how to reach) and make it feel worth it to divert from the path for a while.

I am utterly shocked that of all the weird offhand tangents in that video, Tim never once mentioned or played Barrett's weird-rear end treasure song thing in Reactor 5 when he was discussing the Trinket Ultimatum.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I just finished this last night. It's my first experience with FF7 and the first JRPG I put more than a couple of hours into. I knew Cloud was big sword hero, Sephiroth was pretty boy bad guy, and Aeris died. I really enjoyed it and will probably find an LP of the original since that seems to enhance the experience somewhat.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Midjack posted:

I just finished this last night. It's my first experience with FF7 and the first JRPG I put more than a couple of hours into. I knew Cloud was big sword hero, Sephiroth was pretty boy bad guy, and Aeris died. I really enjoyed it and will probably find an LP of the original since that seems to enhance the experience somewhat.

I recommend this one, from the Let's Play forum's Elentor, if you don't mind a screen shot LP: https://lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-VII/

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
They could replace consumable items with individual pieces for the weapon orbs system as pickups.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
FF7R feels like what FFXIII should have been paced like. I beat FFXIII for the first time about a month before FF7R came out and while yes, the handhold chapters are kind of rough, once you get the ability to freely dictate your party and explore on cocoon it really opened up. The art direction and assets were all loving fantastic too, and you can see alot of the same skybox tricks being used in FF7R.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

I recommend this one, from the Let's Play forum's Elentor, if you don't mind a screen shot LP: https://lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-VII/

Thanks, and I prefer screenshots and text over video so this will fit the bill nicely!

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

anakha posted:

If you're referring to the actual final boss battle, it looks pretty clear to me that Cloud needed a fuckton of help from the rest of the team, and even then, Sephiroth was still pretty much just toying with them. The closing scene with Cloud and the feather dissolving in his hand shows that he knows he didn't really win.

If you're referring to the cutscenes with Cloud slashing through a train, that's been discussed before, but the general agreement was that what was going on in that singularity is not reflective of any indicator of strength or skill in the actual world the characters live in.

I personally subscribe to the idea that since you're inside a singularity then your characters could very well be the strongest versions of themselves from anywhere in the timeline, so you're actually controlling a OG FF7 endgame party and not a buncha LV 15 schlubs fresh out of Midgar.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Discussions on this game are fun and all but boy I wish people had gone to therapy about Kingdom Hearts so that every podcast didn't keep flaring up about it like 'This smacks of Nomura' *I wrench the table over, spiling salsa and corndogs turning the golden shiny wire of hope into a golden stream of piss*

https://twitter.com/dril/status/213849618415484929?lang=en

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
All abilities that happens in combat cutscenes vis a vis real world has to be taken with a grain of salt. Cloud can simultaneously leap high off a motorcycle and on another motorcycle, but also can't raise his arm to grab a raising ladder clearly within reach in Reactor 5

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

RareAcumen posted:

Discussions on this game are fun and all but boy I wish people had gone to therapy about Kingdom Hearts so that every podcast didn't keep flaring up about it like 'This smacks of Nomura' *I wrench the table over, spiling salsa and corndogs turning the golden shiny wire of hope into a golden stream of piss*

https://twitter.com/dril/status/213849618415484929?lang=en

I for real saw a tweet that was like "Nomura thinks that Sephiroth is some smirking villain who hates Cloud but he's ACTUALLY dead in the Northern Crater this whole time", implying that Nomura is just some guy that Square found on the street corner and not...the dude on the original FF7 team who made Sephiroth and had him be the main villain of the story. :psyduck:

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

BaDandy posted:

I for real saw a tweet that was like "Nomura thinks that Sephiroth is some smirking villain who hates Cloud but he's ACTUALLY dead in the Northern Crater this whole time", implying that Nomura is just some guy that Square found on the street corner and not...the dude on the original FF7 team who made Sephiroth and had him be the main villain of the story. :psyduck:

Nomura is an artificial lifeform Square and Disney created in order to

1. Make Kingdom Hearts
2. Destroy FF7 by making it Kingdom Hearts
3. ???

Sakaguchi was on to this and that's why they forced him out

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Catapult Nomura in to the sun, imo

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Attestant posted:

Catapult Nomura in to the sun, imo

He's gonna catapult the sun into us, Supernova style.

I still want a "think" gif that's the entirety of the supernova spell.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

BaDandy posted:

I mean there are people going "Man, they don't understand Sephiroth, they don't get what worked in Midgar" when there's an interview with Kitase where he outlines Sephiroth's presence in Midgar in the original game, and perfectly lists what it should be, before going, "But we felt like we should do something different for the remake, as we feel the mystery is lost due to time."

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Thundercracker posted:

All abilities that happens in combat cutscenes vis a vis real world has to be taken with a grain of salt. Cloud can simultaneously leap high off a motorcycle and on another motorcycle, but also can't raise his arm to grab a raising ladder clearly within reach in Reactor 5

Yes, it sucks here and and it sucks everywhere else it is done. The amount of times people jump to safety from crumbling platforms in this game almost made my eyes roll clean out of my head.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
I mean, yeah, that second-to-last boss fight is Kingdom Hearts as all hell -- but that's what made it cool.

Kingdom Hearts is cool. :colbert:

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Got the digital OST today. Does anybody know the title for the version of Those Chosen By The Planet that plays in the cutscene after you beat Hojo's specimen, with the heavy choral vocals? I can't seem to find it.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Solomonic posted:

Got the digital OST today. Does anybody know the title for the version of Those Chosen By The Planet that plays in the cutscene after you beat Hojo's specimen, with the heavy choral vocals? I can't seem to find it.

Where did you get it? I can only find the CD.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Onmi posted:

I mean there are people going "Man, they don't understand Sephiroth, they don't get what worked in Midgar" when there's an interview with Kitase where he outlines Sephiroth's presence in Midgar in the original game, and perfectly lists what it should be, before going, "But we felt like we should do something different for the remake, as we feel the mystery is lost due to time."

The first time he shows up in the Remake is pretty cool, I personally wish they had kept the "other Cloud talking to Cloud" mystery going a little longer because I always thought that was an interesting way to approach Cloud's broken psyche being influenced by some unknown force, but I guess by the time it does show up after the second Reactor bombing there isn't much mystery to it.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Onmi posted:

That is the tragedy of this because he's right. The mystery of original is gone so they have to start taking it in another direction so it can remain fresh. However....Sephiroth's slow roll horror reveal in the original is magnificent and I'm sad it can't be repeated. He genuinely is one of the best done villains in final fantasy if only for how intensely creepy he and his backstory is. They're gong to have to do something about finding that Zolom though. I mean it's not nearly going to be ask shocking a scene now.

Y'know...Kefka feels a bit like a prototype for him come to think of it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah Sephiroth is easily the second-best villain in the Final Fantasy franchise and that's no small feat. Kefka is an okay third.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Who's the first?

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Clarste posted:

Who's the first?

Kuja? That's my guess, I feel he's Sephiroth's Final Form.

edit: wait I forgot about Emet-Selch, lol

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 28, 2020

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Clarste posted:

Who's the first?

Emet-Selch, and it's a shame he's tucked away in the third expac of an mmo.

He even managed to beat Sephiroth in a Japanese FF villain popularity poll, and that just doesn't happen.

The strength of his story is ultimately the strength of Shadowbringers' story and it got its writer, Natsuko Ishikawa, a standing ovation at PAX.

https://twitter.com/michaelphigham/status/1168299954445537281?lang=en

Runa fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 28, 2020

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

I want to pop that pimple on his forehead.

But it's strange, Sephiroth himself is actually kind of bland. It's his introduction, his backstory, and other peripheral elements that made him memorable.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Before Shadowbringers, I thought the Ascians were the most boring enemies in FFXIV and I was sort of dreading them being a major focus of the expansion. Emet-Selch changed all of that. He's an insanely good villain.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

But it's strange, Sephiroth himself is actually kind of bland. It's his introduction, his backstory, and other peripheral elements that made him memorable.

Well there's also the fact that Seph's the guy behind the most famous spoiler in videogames. Nobody's going to be able to beat that kind of cultural cachet, Sephiroth is basically immortalized in memes and stereotypical online usernames.

But for a brief, shining moment, a great writer got to flex and she gave us a smarmy smug middle-aged ratfucker as the villain of a single mmo expac storyline and he managed to knock Sephiroth off his throne for a short period of time. Mostly by combining charm and an easy, if slimy, charisma, with more pathos than you can shake a Meteor at.

Harrow posted:

Before Shadowbringers, I thought the Ascians were the most boring enemies in FFXIV and I was sort of dreading them being a major focus of the expansion. Emet-Selch changed all of that. He's an insanely good villain.

Yeah he retroactively made the worst villain faction (Organization XIII knockoffs with even less personality) into one of the most tragic and compelling. It's wild.

Runa fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 28, 2020

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Please note that Emet Selch does not actually gently caress rats, he simply looks like a rat in his Hyur form. Any besmirchment upon Emet Selch's good name and standing will be taken as an offense to the entire Garlean Empire, and retribution will be swift.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Schwartzcough posted:

I dunno, I feel like you can't have him without the backstory and peripheral elements because those feed into what he's doing. Like yeah, by himself he's a doomsday villain, but adding everything up means he's going from one existential crisis to another without stopping ("Oh gently caress my mom's an alien"-->"Oh gently caress my purpose is to rule the planet and take its lifesteam BETTER GO DO THAT"-->"Oh gently caress I'm dead I need to focus on Cloud to keep my identity intact so I can be alive again"-->"Oh gently caress the planet's dying regardless and my time with Cloud will disappear" (or whatever he's doing now)). You have to infer some things about him, but the psychology of it all is interesting to chew on because he can never just have an emotion. He thinks that everything is a problem he should be able to solve when what he's dealing with isn't solvable. But Sephiroth has Jenova cells and Phenomenal Cosmic Powers so he thinks he should do that. All of that is totally fed into by his backstory. I think it's neat! Like he's sublimating his emotions and turning them into Big Plans because he's too above them or too grand to just be sad or lonely.

Like theoretically, a lot of FF villains fall under "[So and so] has Personal Problems", but it's their backstories and first impressions that give them a unique flavor.

edit: you're right though, it's weird how Sephiroth is practically an institution and barely any of that gets translated outside of the games outside of "bad dude with sword". You kind of need the story he's in for him to work properly, but I think that's true for a lot of FF characters.

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 29, 2020

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Jetrauben posted:

Where did you get it? I can only find the CD.

iTunes Store, Canada.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It's kind of funny how Kefka is the exact opposite. Dude has literally no backstory outside of one throwaway line that goes "Yeah, he was part of a medical experiment and it snapped his brain." He's on paper the most shallow goddamn villain in the FF franchise (you could glean more reason for Necron doing what he did than Kefka), yet he's well regarded since unlike most, he *won*.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Sephiroth and JENOVA are the most terrifying villains because the thing that's infinitely more scary than an external threat is one that robs us of our agency and our sense of self.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

BaDandy posted:

I dunno, I feel like you can't have him without the backstory and peripheral elements because those feed into what he's doing. Like yeah, by himself he's a doomsday villain, but adding everything up means he's going from one existential crisis to another without stopping ("Oh gently caress my mom's an alien"-->"Oh gently caress my purpose is to rule the planet and take its lifesteam BETTER GO DO THAT"-->"Oh gently caress I'm dead I need to focus on Cloud to keep my identity intact so I can be alive again"-->"Oh gently caress the planet's dying regardless and my time with Cloud will disappear" (or whatever he's doing now)). You have to infer some things about him, but the psychology of it all is interesting to chew on because he can never just have an emotion. He thinks that everything is a problem he should be able to solve when what he's dealing with isn't solvable. But Sephiroth has Jenova cells and Phenomenal Cosmic Powers so he thinks he should do that. All of that is totally fed into by his backstory. I think it's neat! Like he's sublimating his emotions and turning them into Big Plans because he's too above them or too grand to just be sad or lonely.

Like theoretically, a lot of FF villains fall under "[So and so] has Personal Problems", but it's their backstories and first impressions that give them a unique flavor.

edit: you're right though, it's weird how Sephiroth is practically an institution and barely any of that gets translated outside of the games outside of "bad dude with sword". You kind of need the story he's in for him to work properly, but I think that's true for a lot of FF characters.

I can sum Sephiroth up very succinctly actually for anyone who needs an idea of what he is. Imagine if Superman was the main character of the Truman Show instead of Truman. Now imagine what would happen if he went through same poo poo Truman does but instead feeling a sense of freedom and relief at the end he goes absolutely bugfuck at the sheer horror of the situation and decides the audience and the producers need to pay.