Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/audevwhite/status/1266018582334517248?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
courrier électronique

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Hell yeah, thanks for the good-rear end content!

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

ATP_Power posted:

Hell yeah, thanks for the good-rear end content!

👍🙏

this 4 ep season is actually all written and recorded ready to go too so there won't be the month long gap between each ep!

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

drat that is francophone whiny energy at 99% purity

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
The French made an entire bureaucracy around being eternally mad about winning second place at imperialism

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Contrapoints is by far the least loathsome alumnus/alumna of Northwestern University, my alma mater. After her it's GRRM and after him it's Rahm Emmanuel or worse. So I'm rooting for her.

or you can continue to work on an invention that manages to saw away Evanston so that it falls into the earth's mantle like a sack of potatoes

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Victory Position posted:

or you can continue to work on an invention that manages to saw away Evanston so that it falls into the earth's mantle like a sack of potatoes

Just collect property tax on all the buildings and land they've acquired over the years

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/neonwario/status/1266087066556923905?s=20

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Breadallelogram posted:

Mind if I post my iowa pod again? We just hit 30 episodes this week: https://soundcloud.com/rockhardcaucus/30-unbecoming-of-a-member-5262020

I'll try your iowa podcast. If it sucks I will vote for ernst.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

a reminder that Quebec actually does have a language police, meaning that in France the Colonel's chicken place is called "KFC" but in Quebec it's "PFK"

(hell Quebec even calls podcasts "balado", short for "baladodiffusion", but the metropolitan French language people hate Quebecois neologisms, to which I say: tabarnak d'Francais)

Troy Queef has issued a correction as of 22:01 on May 28, 2020

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Breadallelogram posted:

Mind if I post my iowa pod again? We just hit 30 episodes this week: https://soundcloud.com/rockhardcaucus/30-unbecoming-of-a-member-5262020

30 episodes of corn, slipknot and first primary. Hell yes

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Troy Queef posted:

a reminder that Quebec actually does have a language police, meaning that in France the Colonel's chicken place is called "KFC" but in Quebec it's "PFK"

(hell Quebec even calls podcasts "balado", short for "baladodiffusion", but the metropolitan French language people hate Quebecois neologisms, to which I say: tabarnak d'Francais)

what is with the french and derivatives and being so defensive of their garbage language

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Shipon posted:

what is with the french and derivatives and being so defensive of their garbage language

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

The French made an entire bureaucracy around being eternally mad about winning second place at imperialism

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Shipon posted:

it's a long story, but the French have got language snobbery down to a science. there used to be a bunch of regional language dialects in France and Paris has worked very hard to destroy all of them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vergonha

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

many non-english language countries have laws to protect their languages

it's because it is seen as a good to be able to function in one's own society in one's native language, which also happens to be the basis of most national states

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

there should be an international council of english with proportional representation from english-speaking countries so india can tell everyone how it's gonna be from now on

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
They never gave up on the whole imperialism thing, they just took it down a couple of notches after WW2. Protecting the French language and assertively maintaining the Francosphere in Africa keeps their foot in the door to kick that poo poo up again as the anglo empire collapses.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

V. Illych L. posted:

many non-english language countries have laws to protect their languages

it's because it is seen as a good to be able to function in one's own society in one's native language, which also happens to be the basis of most national states

sure but often this is just a reaction to historical imperialism in the "best" cases or just fascism in the not so great cases

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lmao Jersey is a shithole you dullards

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Crane Fist posted:

30 episodes of corn, slipknot and first primary. Hell yes

it's probably very hosed up to listen from the beginning, when we were very optimistic about bernie, to now

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
its fun that the United States is a multilingual country with ongoing fascist waves to make English the national/only language often brought forth by the people that had their language taken from them during the last wave

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Often Abbreviated posted:

They never gave up on the whole imperialism thing, they just took it down a couple of notches after WW2. Protecting the French language and assertively maintaining the Francosphere in Africa keeps their foot in the door to kick that poo poo up again as the anglo empire collapses.

I still remember how shocked I was when I found out that France was still in charge of monetary policy for a bunch of West African countries.

quote:

European links
The currency’s value was initially pegged to the French franc and then to the euro, at a fixed rate of 655.96 CFA francs to one euro.

The Bank of France holds half of the currency’s total reserves. France pays a ceiling interest rate of 0.75 percent annually.

The arrangement guarantees unlimited convertibility of CFA francs into euros and facilitates inter-zone transfers.

CFA notes and coins are printed and minted at a Bank of France facility in the southern town of Chamalieres.

Both regional African banks that supervise the CFA variants have established price stability as their overriding objective.
https://www.africanews.com/2019/12/24/from-cfa-franc-to-eco-inside-the-evolution-of-a-controversial-currency/

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

they even do that in Louisiana. they don't teach the local dialect though, it's got to be Parisian French. when I was in sixth grade I was forced to take French, the class was taught by this bewildered Belgian lady who I think maybe regretted agreeing to teach the class.

forgot all of it almost immediately, no immersion.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Atrocious Joe posted:

I still remember how shocked I was when I found out that France was still in charge of monetary policy for a bunch of West African countries.

They're pretty good at the soft power game! In Africa they've outlasted all the other European countries, the Soviets, and now likely the USA. With those kind of ties they're likely to hold out against China too. It's the sort of thing that makes post EU Europe more uncertain that it should be on paper. Germany has the advantage in people, money, industry etc, but they just seem fundamentally garbage at the empire game. They can't hold something for more than five minutes without trying to destroy it. The French know how to put down roots.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

They're pretty good at the soft power game! In Africa they've outlasted all the other European countries, the Soviets, and now likely the USA. With those kind of ties they're likely to hold out against China too. It's the sort of thing that makes post EU Europe more uncertain that it should be on paper. Germany has the advantage in people, money, industry etc, but they just seem fundamentally garbage at the empire game. They can't hold something for more than five minutes without trying to destroy it. The French know how to put down roots.

the spanish know how to put down roots if you mean penis because they have sex with all of their colonized people

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

uber_stoat posted:

they even do that in Louisiana. they don't teach the local dialect though, it's got to be Parisian French. when I was in sixth grade I was forced to take French, the class was taught by this bewildered Belgian lady who I think maybe regretted agreeing to teach the class.

forgot all of it almost immediately, no immersion.

I don't think people wanting to learn french want to learn yokel french.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Breadallelogram posted:

it's probably very hosed up to listen from the beginning, when we were very optimistic about bernie, to now

Every remotely left podcast episode from the beginning of this year is going to be very painful in hindsight

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

thotsky posted:

I don't think people wanting to learn french want to learn yokel french.

who doesn't want to talk like Gambit, cheré

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

The contrast between the evolution of the French and English languages is pretty fascinating. French: the language and its vocabulary are governed by an elite and storied institution whose life serving members are named The Immortals.

English: the wild west of languages. Spelling and pronunciation are bonkers because words are freely imported from foreign languages.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

lmao Jersey is a shithole you dullards

it's hosed up to think that you can a) name everywhere in Jersey and b) they all get off onto that accursed turnpike everyone won't shut up about

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Crane Fist posted:

Every remotely left podcast episode from the beginning of this year is going to be very painful in hindsight

couldn’t be more painful than the events they discuss

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Percelus posted:

the spanish know how to put down roots if you mean penis because they have sex with all of their colonized people

There's a reason Syphilis was originally known as the Spanish Disease

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Victory Position posted:

it's hosed up to think that you can a) name everywhere in Jersey and b) they all get off onto that accursed turnpike everyone won't shut up about

oh you're from jersey? what exit?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

selec posted:

Yeah but this is the podcast thread

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

selec posted:

Haha, exactly. drat you for having some hope!

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Shipon posted:

Can't you see the future where chinese words start being used more and more and proud anglos start doing the exact same to defend the english language? Because... nous, nous y parvenons facilement. But yeah the big problem as usual is that podcast is a super small and easy to pronounce word and the selected new word is a mouthful.

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly
Are any podcasters attending the protests in Minnesota?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Subvisual Haze posted:

The contrast between the evolution of the French and English languages is pretty fascinating. French: the language and its vocabulary are governed by an elite and storied institution whose life serving members are named The Immortals.

English: the wild west of languages. Spelling and pronunciation are bonkers because words are freely imported from foreign languages.

this is because english is massively hegemonic and effectively the majority language for a bunch of purposes. people have to be forced to use e.g. norwegian in engineering documents because otherwise engineering documents are all going to be in english, making them even less accessible to ordinary citizens. it then follows that there need to be formal standards as to what constitutes norwegian language or some rear end in a top hat trying to be clever would just write english and claim it as a norwegian dialect

when the icelanders make up new words for weird poo poo it's easy to ridicule, but it's also a necessary measure to keep poo poo available to the public. even for people like myself, english is definitely a second language, and my expression is much more constrained than it is in my native language

there's also something to be said for preserving diversity in terms of language as a good in itself, but that's the cultural conservative argument and not the official line as to why this sort of policy exists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Toplowtech posted:

Can't you see the future where chinese words start being used more and more and proud anglos start doing the exact same to defend the english language? Because... nous, nous y parvenons facilement. But yeah the big problem as usual is that podcast is a super small and easy to pronounce word and the selected new word is a mouthful.

Isn't that just firefly

english wins the language wars because it doesn't actually give a poo poo and cheats at everything and follows no rules