Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
What, no love for Oishii?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
Houston's Pizza is pretty meh but Two Guys isn't awful. And at least Houston didn't try to make up their own pizza like St. Louis, gently caress that Provel nightmare.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
The koreatown in carrollton is pretty legit

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Captain Monkey posted:

I will gladly check it out soon, though I do not have high apple pie in the sky hopes. The last Japanese place someone took me in Houston, I asked for a Suntory highball and the bartender looked at me like I was from Mars. Granted, even places like Nippon know that much, but it's pretty grim here, sadly. We need to build a Toyota factory or something. Get this poo poo straightened out.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Captain Monkey posted:

Oishii punches several tiers above its weight class for what you are paying but it isn't the greatest sushi. I love the place to death though because it is still really good and like I said, punches way above where it should.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

It is also tiny when you are used to Houston's new Chinatown.

Dameius fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 29, 2020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/1266151774911692802

Well I guess we'll see

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
The best city in Texas is clearly Houston. Integrated (at least in the suburbs), immigrant town with a big working class population.

It is a beautiful little spot in the universe.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Forseti posted:

Houston's Pizza is pretty meh but Two Guys isn't awful. And at least Houston didn't try to make up their own pizza like St. Louis, gently caress that Provel nightmare.

Is there a restaurant called "Houston's Pizza" or are you broad-brushing 7 million people with your lovely pizza opinions?

edit: just pulled a Red Baron out from the freezer.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
Broad brushing based on the ones I've tried I guess? I worded it awkwardly but I actually like Two Guys alright. It's just nothing special is all. Russo's is also ok.

Unless you're offended about the dig at Imo's, I'll stand by that one.

I didn't know about that place that was like 37 years old and just closed down, I wish I'd gotten to try that one.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Sab0921 posted:

The best city in Texas is clearly Houston. Integrated (at least in the suburbs), immigrant town with a big working class population.

The spot is neither little nor beautiful, actually.

There are a few good things about Houston (food and culture), but it generally just loving sucks.

I mean we're talking about a city where it's legal to build houses inside bayous lmao, c'mon.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

enraged_camel posted:

The spot is neither little nor beautiful, actually.

But enough about your mom.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Why, my stars. It was Bob Hope himself, after staying at the Warwick Hotel next to the Mecom Fountain, who proclaimed on The Donahue Program or some such, in what is surely absolute truth and not sarcasm, that the view from atop the Warwick was the finest view in all the world. For sure, even if this is true, Bob Hope did not ever say this about 50 other places in other then-backwater cities.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

The pizza in New York City and New Haven is pretty amazing and nothing comes close here. We don't have to have the best of every food in Houston. We are just lucky that everything other type of food is incredible here

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011

DangerZoneDelux posted:

The pizza in New York City and New Haven is pretty amazing and nothing comes close here. We don't have to have the best of every food in Houston. We are just lucky that everything other type of food is incredible here

Yeah this. I lived in New Haven very briefly and was massively unimpressed with it. Huge wealth disparities making for just general uncomfortable, segregated living. But...
When I arrived, my landlady told me New Haven has the greatest pizza in the universe. This was obviously hard to swallow but gods was she right. I have little else good to say about the place but it has better pizza than anywhere else I've been, including Italy.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Dameius posted:

Oishii punches several tiers above its weight class for what you are paying but it isn't the greatest sushi. I love the place to death though because it is still really good and like I said, punches way above where it should.

It is also tiny when you are used to Houston's new Chinatown.

This is a fair assessment.

Also, Houston is the only place to get Viet Cajun so it’s clearly the best city.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Captain Monkey posted:

Also, Houston is the only place to get Viet Cajun so it’s clearly the best city.
Please tell LA this, where they "invented" the horrible boiled [seafood] concept, that shortcuts a crawfish boil by adding the spices to whatever seafood you want after the boiling. A concept they stole from their Gulf Coast cousins - before it made its way back.

All true Gulf Coast residents of all backgrounds eschew this practice on instinct, of course.

---

North of I-10 heresy ITT.
|
\/

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 29, 2020

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

There are several Viet Cajun places in Austin, or at least there used to be. Cajun boil is one of my favorite food types and I highly recommend everybody in Austin check out King Krabz seafood. Used to be a food truck and is now a full blown restaurant that is loving excellent. I mean look at this poo poo:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

D-Pad posted:

There are several Viet Cajun places in Austin, or at least there used to be. Cajun boil is one of my favorite food types and I highly recommend everybody in Austin check out King Krabz seafood. Used to be a food truck and is now a full blown restaurant that is loving excellent. I mean look at this poo poo:

That picture makes me real jealous.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Regarding Houston pizza - anyone have any thought's on Capone's? I've never been but have heard from very credible sources that it's quite good. I like Antonio's it's solid but not amazing, it's local and convenient to me though.

Also I posted in the Houston thread that Barry's Pizza is permanently closing because of COVID-19. and while it was not an outstanding pizza place it was an institution so it's a bit sad.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

No Safe Word posted:

Regarding Houston pizza - anyone have any thought's on Capone's? I've never been but have heard from very credible sources that it's quite good. I like Antonio's it's solid but not amazing, it's local and convenient to me though.

Also I posted in the Houston thread that Barry's Pizza is permanently closing because of COVID-19. and while it was not an outstanding pizza place it was an institution so it's a bit sad.

Likewise Bernie's Burger Bus in Bellaire is closing permanently on Monday, and none of their currently closed locations will be reopening so make a trip if you want it.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Food trucks that turn into restaurants fail constantly in Houston, Bernie’s was doomed the moment they stopped driving around to bars, COVID-19 just sped that up.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
I'm an awful person with an awful palate who likes Kura for Houston-area conveyor belt sushi. Plus my kid gets mini Lego and doesn't whine which makes the sushi taste better somehow.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Sab0921 posted:

Houston is a humid swamp that floods every year, a poster child for characterless suburban sprawl and traffic congestion, and is thoroughly polluted by (and occasionally exploded by) heavy industry. I still gotta go with Austin or SA as the 'best" city, as far as that unicorn can exist in this state.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.
Turn the entirety of east Texas into a nature preserve, tbh

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Provided we are using the Texan definition of East Texas, and not the geographic definition, you will get no argument from me.

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011

Captain Monkey posted:

Tell me more about Viet Cajun
I have never heard of this and it sounds incredible.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Disnesquick posted:

Tell me more about Viet Cajun
I have never heard of this and it sounds incredible.

south vietnamese immigrants came to the US post-'74 and many chose houston. they were able to go to the docks and get the same jobs they had back home, just they worked with cajuns now. 40 years later and boop, good food

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

humidity is a dealbreaker for 'best city', so whoever said alpine earlier is right. if it has to be a real city, i'd rather live in el paso than houston just for the biking

sushi is a luxury for me and so missing out on world-class fine dining isn't that much of a drawback

edit sushi restaurants are all over the smaller interior northern mexican cities like monclova and torreon. i've never tried it. double edit: oh my god there are a dozen just in monclova alone and it's the size of round rock. i looked at a menu at one restaurant and it has a "curricane roll", which seems to be some sort of japanese/mexican/indian fusion. there's a warning that they need 20 minutes to prepare it

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 29, 2020

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

el paso is the best city in texas, and the fact that it is on the border is probably relevant

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

ReindeerF posted:

Provided we are using the Texan definition of East Texas, and not the geographic definition, you will get no argument from me.

Nobody's using Alabama anyways.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

i say swears online posted:

just for the biking
Let us also open our hymnals to 13:20mph Constant Coastal Winds, one of my only major pet peeves about the Gulf Coast.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

being covered in salt after a workout just means you can get a snack whenever you want

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I think you meant to say harry hines

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

el paso is the best city in texas, and the fact that it is on the border is probably relevant

only Central timezone cities may apply, sorry

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

i say swears online posted:

being covered in salt after a workout just means you can get a snack whenever you want
Also, it's nice to be able to judge the success of your run/ride by how long it takes before your eyes sting - unlike, say, SLC or UAE, where you get home and brush the dried salt out of your eyebrows and, if you have it (unlike me), hair.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

Well I guess we'll see

TDCJ has been working to implement mass testing in an attempt to get control of the spread. I don't know how far along in the process they are (quick glance at their website indicates that they've done about 65 thousand tests), but that's something like 200 thousand tests, which would represent a pretty huge chunk of the total testing done in the state. If they actually do manage to test everyone over the next couple of weeks, I'd imagine we'll see a large spike in the number of confirmed positive cases. I've been hearing that something like 10% of the prison population is showing up as positive, although many are asymptomatic.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Idk about New Haven but no, New York pizza is overrated poo poo and you can, in fact, get the same floppy poo poo food or better in Dallas

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ngl southern new england really does have the best pizza. i used to live next to Caserta in downtown providence and would go there all the time

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Idk about New Haven but no, New York pizza is overrated poo poo and you can, in fact, get the same floppy poo poo food or better in Dallas

Cool man but I didn't reference a floppy pizza. Like the poster above if you haven't had it you wouldn't know. I didn't understand either and figured it was just local pride and then I had my first pie there and it's truly incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

but also austin has via 313 :smugdon: