Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

On the .exe file, go to Properties > Compatibility > Change high DPI settings and fiddle with the settings there, see what makes a difference. Try the regular compatibility settings too, particularly changing to an older Windows version and checking the box to run it in 640 x 480 resolution.

Thanks, no luck fiddling with the settings but it looks like it was a bug in the official Radeon driver which didn't enable GPU scaling. I've installed an unofficial driver and it seems to have done the trick!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Tea Bone posted:

Hi thread,
I've been trying to play some old games in windows 10 on a 4k display. Some games are fine, but most of the time the UI elements (mostly text boxes) are rendering too small to be playable. I thought knocking the resolution down to a lower res at the same scale might work, but that just shrinks down the game window. I've tried changing windows display settings to match the resolution I have the game set to but that doesn't seem to help matters at all.

If it makes any difference, I'm running from a 16" Macbook Pro via bootcamp.

Look up your games on https://pcgamingwiki.com. Lots of solutions for all kinds of problems including yours, plus a bunch of other neat poo poo that you wouldn't have even thought to look into.

E: and nah, your MBP isn't the problem. Windows is who's in charge regardless of the hardware, and old games just get fucky like that.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 14:45 on May 28, 2020

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Look up your games on https://pcgamingwiki.com. Lots of solutions for all kinds of problems including yours, plus a bunch of other neat poo poo that you wouldn't have even thought to look into.

E: and nah, your MBP isn't the problem. Windows is who's in charge regardless of the hardware, and old games just get fucky like that.

Wow this is amazing. I never finished AssCreed 4 because I got a 21:9 monitor and it looks goofy on there but that Wiki has a fix!

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Article from PC Gamer from a day ago with the original developer of task manager.

PC Gamer: 25 years later, Task Manager's creator shares a bunch of cool tips for using it.
https://www.pcgamer.com/15-years-later-task-managers-creator-shares-a-bunch-of-cool-tips-for-using-it/

quote:

"If Task Manager ever hangs or crashes, start another by pressing ctrl-shift-esc," he writes. "Winlogon will look for an existing instance and try to revive it for up to 10 seconds. If the old Taskmgr doesn't start making sense by responding with a secret code within that time, another one will be launched. That way, you're never without a Taskmgr as long as there are some resources available."

[...]

Ctrl-Shift-Esc will also launch Task Manager if Explorer is dead and your system tray is gone.

:wow:

netBuff
Nov 7, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I've used Ctrl + Shift + Esc to launch the task manager ever since Vista added that splash screen to Ctrl + Alt + Delete.

Another handy tip is killing explorer.exe (and manually relaunching it should it not restart automatically) if you have shell issues.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

netBuff posted:

I've used Ctrl + Shift + Esc to launch the task manager ever since Vista added that splash screen to Ctrl + Alt + Delete.

Another handy tip is killing explorer.exe (and manually relaunching it should it not restart automatically) if you have shell issues.

i think i discovered teh bolded by accident on W95? I was probably 7 or 8 and pretty intrepid from growing up on DOS anyway and said gently caress it, if this PC isnt gonna play ball im gonna hit this big red button;

and it worked beautifully?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Win 10 2004 report: Ho-hum, nothing seems different? I've always had good luck with Win10 builds/upgrades, though. Biggest note is that start menu web search has to be blocked at the firewall now.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

EoRaptor posted:

Win 10 2004 report: Ho-hum, nothing seems different? I've always had good luck with Win10 builds/upgrades, though. Biggest note is that start menu web search has to be blocked at the firewall now.

Is there some documentation about this because I have like 3-4 local group policies set to prevent that in these previous versions.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

EoRaptor posted:

these guys usually have a pretty good rundown of the things

https://www.howtogeek.com/438830/whats-new-in-windows-10s-20h1-update-arriving-spring-2020/

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

astral posted:

Is there some documentation about this because I have like 3-4 local group policies set to prevent that in these previous versions.

Open up the Windows Firewall, click on Outbound Rules, scroll all the way down to the predefined Windows Search rule, and change it from allow to block. Start Menu will still have a web results tab/option to expand, but doing that will just show an error.

(Previous versions of Windows have called this rule Cortana or Cortana Search, but in 2004 it's Windows Search)

astral
Apr 26, 2004

EoRaptor posted:

Open up the Windows Firewall, click on Outbound Rules, scroll all the way down to the predefined Windows Search rule, and change it from allow to block. Start Menu will still have a web results tab/option to expand, but doing that will just show an error.

(Previous versions of Windows have called this rule Cortana or Cortana Search, but in 2004 it's Windows Search)

Whoops, I meant documentation about the previously-existing options not stopping web search any longer; sorry about that.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

astral posted:

Whoops, I meant documentation about the previously-existing options not stopping web search any longer; sorry about that.

I know the polices were removed from Home long ago, and Pro lost them somewhere in the insider ring in the run-up to 2004, but I don't know when. They should still work on Enterprise. If you want documentation with exact timing, you'll need to go back over insider build histories or ask MS.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

EoRaptor posted:

Oh, thanks. I installed the preview version a while ago to get WSL2 and it's been bugging me that I couldn't get any policies to shut bing off. So that really is on purpose, what fun!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

EoRaptor posted:

I know the polices were removed from Home long ago, and Pro lost them somewhere in the insider ring in the run-up to 2004, but I don't know when. They should still work on Enterprise. If you want documentation with exact timing, you'll need to go back over insider build histories or ask MS.

I'm not seeing anything recent about this on the internet. Could you point out exactly what you were doing before that stopped working?

Last year one of the updates made the group policy be ignored, but that was a bug and MS eventually fixed it. And in the meantime there were registry edits that kept it blocked.

e: the relevant group policy being "Don't search the web or display web results in Search"

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Klyith posted:

I'm not seeing anything recent about this on the internet. Could you point out exactly what you were doing before that stopped working?

Last year one of the updates made the group policy be ignored, but that was a bug and MS eventually fixed it. And in the meantime there were registry edits that kept it blocked.

e: the relevant group policy being "Don't search the web or display web results in Search"

I had both the policy and registry locations set in 1909, along with the toggle switch in settings to turn it off. Web search wasn’t present on my start menu.

After upgrading to 2004, there is no longer a toggle in settings, the registry settings were still present but didn’t seem to do anything, and group policies had been reset, but re-enabling them also didn’t do anything.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
2004 lookin' good for people itt? The past week or so I've been backing up and taking inventory and sacking up to do a fresh install as the current one has been going for quite a few years now and I've gone and hosed up my files beyond organizing. Planning to do the fresh one just to have a clean C: slate and set everything up the way I'd like from scratch

e: Just saw the link for the "What's New in 2004" article, thanks for sharing

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I've had 2004 on my gaming PC for a few months and it's been smooth sailing. I haven't put it on my laptop or work PC yet.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Do virtual desktops (Task View, not virtualization) allow audio to be associated with a desktop? Like if I have Spotify in one desktop and switch to another, the audio can pause/stop? I recognize that most people probably don't want that, but is it an option?

VVV bummer, thanks.

beefnoodle fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 30, 2020

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

No.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I noticed that Edge (which I use exclusively for Netflix b/c there's no other way to get a quality stream) will pause Netflix when I switch desktops. Maybe it will do that for other things.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Posting to say that developer documentation is getting loving atrocious.

I've been looking up some Powershell stuff, and it's loving useless. I think I like the return type stuff the most. It just lists what object type it returns as bolded non-hyperlinked type string. loving thanks, Microsoft. Certainly helps. Like with enumerations and poo poo. Or like in the current case, trying to set VM integration services via Powershell, and it'd sure help to have a loving list of them.

--edit: Can't believe that I need an MSIL disassembler to make sense some of the cmdlets.

--edit: Yay, at least I have RDP over VMBus working now. If that GPU paravirtualization would work for regular Hyper-V VMs now, that'd be sweet.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 30, 2020

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

doctorfrog posted:

I noticed that Edge (which I use exclusively for Netflix b/c there's no other way to get a quality stream) will pause Netflix when I switch desktops. Maybe it will do that for other things.

It doesn’t for YouTube but I’ll check other stuff in a browser, thanks.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I get some sluggishness in Chredge when playing a Twitch stream on the other monitor. I checked the resource monitor and everything is using GPU acceleration like it should and CPU usage was normal. Is there anything else I could look at?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Fallom posted:

I get some sluggishness in Chredge when playing a Twitch stream on the other monitor. I checked the resource monitor and everything is using GPU acceleration like it should and CPU usage was normal. Is there anything else I could look at?

Do the monitors run at different refresh rates? Is it an NVIDIA card?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Have Microsoft been loving around with Windows Defender recently. It's been periodically pegging my processor to 100% for 20 mins or so at a time making my laptop basically unusable. Windows Defender itself only takes 15% or so when that happens but all other processes also balloon in processor usage when that happens, be it Edge, Firefox, and/or Discord.

It's not a scheduled scan and if I open the Windows Defender control panel it doesn't mention that it is doing anything in particular. It happens few times a day and once or twice it has coincided with my plugging in my mobile via USB.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Hed posted:

Wow this is amazing. I never finished AssCreed 4 because I got a 21:9 monitor and it looks goofy on there but that Wiki has a fix!

Glad to help. :)

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Okay, so I stupidly tried to update via the update tool to 2050. Got stuck at 99% for 6 hours, so I followed MS’s tips and did the media copy, reboot, copy media back tip.

That got stuck at 31% so I decided to give up until I officially get passed the update but on cancelling, I’ve been stuck on “Please wait while setup is exiting” for over half an hour.

There’s no button and I have no idea if I should just hard reboot.

My data is backed up and safely not on my primary drive.

What should I do?

EDIT: gently caress it, I hard rebooted and everything seems ok now.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 31, 2020

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Don't know if this is a Windows issue, or bluetooth, or my specific devices, but I have trouble with paired bluetooth devices all the time. I don't use headphones with my pc very often, but when I do a lot of the time I'll have to re-pair them because I can't connect otherwise.

I've had similar issues with a dualshock 4, but I could see that being the fault of the custom drivers.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Don't know if this is a Windows issue, or bluetooth, or my specific devices, but I have trouble with paired bluetooth devices all the time. I don't use headphones with my pc very often, but when I do a lot of the time I'll have to re-pair them because I can't connect otherwise.

I've had similar issues with a dualshock 4, but I could see that being the fault of the custom drivers.

somehow even having an xbox controller paired to my laptop is enough to screw up bluetooth performance, even if the controller isn’t actually powered on at the time. i have no idea how that’s even possible but unpairing it and using it wired solved my other bluetooth problems

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Rinkles posted:

I get the impression its dependent on the Bluetooth chipset. What you got? Ive had really good success with the latest Intel Wifi 6 chipset on a desktop board. No pairing issues, can talk to a keyboard, mouse, and bluetooth amp at the same time.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

redeyes posted:

I get the impression its dependent on the Bluetooth chipset. What you got? Ive had really good success with the latest Intel Wifi 6 chipset on a desktop board. No pairing issues, can talk to a keyboard, mouse, and bluetooth amp at the same time.

the most problems on desktop with an intel 100 series chipset, but i've had similar issues on my laptop with a qualcomm QCA61x4A adapter

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

astral posted:

Do the monitors run at different refresh rates? Is it an NVIDIA card?

Yes to both - my primary is 144Hz and the secondary is 60Hz on a 1080Ti. I thought one of the recent updates was supposed to fix this? I think I'm on 1909.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 31, 2020

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Munin posted:

Have Microsoft been loving around with Windows Defender recently. It's been periodically pegging my processor to 100% for 20 mins or so at a time making my laptop basically unusable. Windows Defender itself only takes 15% or so when that happens but all other processes also balloon in processor usage when that happens, be it Edge, Firefox, and/or Discord.

It's not a scheduled scan and if I open the Windows Defender control panel it doesn't mention that it is doing anything in particular. It happens few times a day and once or twice it has coincided with my plugging in my mobile via USB.

Nvm, looks like it is tied to either my phone waking up or getting plugged into the USB. How can I check if the phone is hosed in some way or that something is up with Windows and my laptop instead?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Munin posted:

Nvm, looks like it is tied to either my phone waking up or getting plugged into the USB. How can I check if the phone is hosed in some way or that something is up with Windows and my laptop instead?

Easiest would be to try it with a different computer or phone and see what happens.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Snuffman posted:

Okay, so I stupidly tried to update via the update tool to 2050. Got stuck at 99% for 6 hours, so I followed MS’s tips and did the media copy, reboot, copy media back tip.

That got stuck at 31% so I decided to give up until I officially get passed the update but on cancelling, I’ve been stuck on “Please wait while setup is exiting” for over half an hour.

There’s no button and I have no idea if I should just hard reboot.

My data is backed up and safely not on my primary drive.

What should I do?

EDIT: gently caress it, I hard rebooted and everything seems ok now.

Might be worth running those integrity-checking commands to make sure everything's okay (admin command prompt):
code:
sfc /scannow
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Fallom posted:

Yes to both - my primary is 144Hz and the secondary is 60Hz on a 1080Ti. I thought one of the recent updates was supposed to fix this? I think I'm on 1909.

I haven't followed the issue too closely, so I'm not sure. Do you already have the latest Nvidia drivers?

astral fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 1, 2020

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
how do you get this to come up

mystes
May 31, 2006

NotNut posted:

how do you get this to come up
Iirc there's a link somewhere in the sound settings if you right click on the volume control in the tray, but I can never remember exactly where it is or what it's called. This may be the thing that I hate the most about windows 10.

Also I don't know why there isn't a menu option to go to the program volume level setting directly when you right click the test icon.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Right click volume tray icon, go to Sounds, then Playback.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

syntaxfunction posted:

Right click volume tray icon, go to Sounds, then Playback.

"Sounds" is not one of the options on that icon's context menu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Right-click the tray icon for 'Open Sound settings' and under 'Related Settings' on the right-hand side select 'Sound Control Panel'

It couldn't be easier!