Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serf
May 5, 2011

univbee posted:

Only the finest licensed medical practitioners in your state, I see.

nurse pay around here keeps going down. the people at this hospital saved my life when i lost my foot and now i wouldn't trust them to take my loving temperature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Optical Inch posted:

lol mine are 7 and 11 and I’m hoping they make it out of their innocent stage before India nukes Pakistan. Don’t see them having kids, think it’s unlikely college will make sense when they’re of age. pretty much consider them doomed and my only solace is that they’ve had it really good so far

You think India would nuke Pakistan first? I always imagined it would be a large conventional escalation until Pakistan panics and goes first.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Epic High Five posted:

everything is scattershot here

I feel like 75% of the time when I go out, almost everybody is wearing masks and observing distancing and poo poo, but the other 25% of the time it's nobody and everybody is crowded together. No rhyme or reason. Haven't heard of anybody getting chewed out for either wearing or not wearing a mask or anything, but more than a few gentle reminders to back the gently caress up

I'm 100% WFH and will b e for the forseeable future because 100% of my in person job duties vanished into thin air the minute campus and the city locked down and turfed out all the students and businesses that rely on students, so I'm lucky in that sense. Got some buddies who did gig and slave wage poo poo though who are about at the end of their financial means, about to mask up and go out to put together a care package or three to keep them going. Shame I can't do poo poo about their rent except direct them toward mutual aid networks that are already stretched thin

I'm feeling very very good about jumping ship last summer from a cosmetic manufacturer to a company that has a lot of pharmaceutical and defense contracts. So I still have a job in both the good ending (mass production of a cure) and the bad ending (military crackdown on civilians) of the COVID-19 era lol

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

poor foot

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

I'm using CBD as a prophylactic

It's not very effective on its own, but if you toss in known potentiators THC and ethanol you're basically invincible

dosage every 3-4 hours or what? I want to be protected as well.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
lol i had an image of what the dude would look like, and he surpassed it easily

also featured in the original news video

- a stage 4 cancer survivor who goes to the bar because you gotta make your own choices
- a lady saying she knows lots and lots of people, and none of them have caught the virus, so how bad can it really be?

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

Epic High Five posted:

I'm using CBD as a prophylactic

It's not very effective on its own, but if you toss in known potentiators THC and ethanol you're basically invincible

drunken master, but also with weed

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

if you survived Stage 4 cancer, more power to you and live life to the max, I can’t blame that person

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

if you survived Stage 4 cancer, more power to you and live life to the max, I can’t blame that person

yeah except that person doesn't just endanger themselves by going out and being a big idiot

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

stupid question:

if you get the virus by breathing in the particles from someone else and the virus multiplies in your throat, why do they think food contamination won't make you sick if it's right in your fuckin mouth

like if you touch a surface someone just coughed on and touched your mouth (or nose, eyes) isn't that basically the same action as eating

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

So serious question. I've been following this thread as I can but it moves far too fast to consume everything. How reliable are the drive-through tests that they do in Georgia? My 60 year old mother just texted me she got a positive result after going through on Tuesday but isn't feeling sick or anything. Not sure how worried I should be. I guess my step-father is going to go get one now so maybe wait and see what his result is? Just curious how worried I need to be given that I'm so far away I can't do anything but worry, lol.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

FacebookEmpathyMom posted:

So serious question. I've been following this thread as I can but it moves far too fast to consume everything. How reliable are the drive-through tests that they do in Georgia? My 60 year old mother just texted me she got a positive result after going through on Tuesday but isn't feeling sick or anything. Not sure how worried I should be. I guess my step-father is going to go get one now so maybe wait and see what his result is? Just curious how worried I need to be given that I'm so far away I can't do anything but worry, lol.

If they don't have any symptoms they may just be asymptomatic but it's also possible it's a false positive. I'd tell her to quarantine herself and if she starts to feel sick then you could take action

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1266153285037314048?s=20

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

snoo posted:

stupid question:

if you get the virus by breathing in the particles from someone else and the virus multiplies in your throat, why do they think food contamination won't make you sick if it's right in your fuckin mouth

like if you touch a surface someone just coughed on and touched your mouth (or nose, eyes) isn't that basically the same action as eating

Do you breathe the burger into your lungs when you're eating it?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

vyst posted:

If they don't have any symptoms they may just be asymptomatic but it's also possible it's a false positive. I'd tell her to quarantine herself and if she starts to feel sick then you could take action

Yeah that's what I was curious about. How common are false positives? Pretty common, right? I think she's been pretty careful but my stepfather does maintenance for a property management company so he's all over the place in a lot of uncontrolled conditions. I don't know. I'm on the other side of the country so not much I can do really and just trying to set my mind at ease.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Don't you?

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

i'm not breathing in when i touch my eyeball or my mouth :colbert:

Testvan
Nov 10, 2003

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

check out what happened to marseille in 1720 when the merchant class demanded that they open ‘er up!!!

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, food and drinks are a big issue, while the virus doesn't persist for long-periods in UV light, but it can exist on cupware/silverware/portions of a deal that aren't directly cooked, especially in an indoor environment. It may not thrive on the burger patty or the fries, but it could easily be on the bun or coleslaw.

No one gives a poo poo because the country is completely insane.

People walking in the park with masks aren't at high risk, but the amount of risk you take shoot up the more you are indoors and start interacting with people/objects without a mask.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?
So I live in a capitol city and work at probably the largest thrift store in the area. I was out of work for about a month when all this kicked off, but have been back to work for weeks now under what I assume is some clause about "necessary upkeep" of the business. What have I been doing these past few weeks you may ask? Oh, you know, driving a box truck all over creation during a pandemic picking up people's filthy donations and then going through those filthy donations to see what's good enough for sale, etc.

We're opening the store back up tomorrow. It's going to be insane because masks will be required for entry, and we will not be accepting cash payments, only cards. These two things are going to make a good half or more of our customer base lose their minds. The no cash thing is bad because I doubt half our customers even have bank accounts for any number of reasons, and NOBODY can read a sign. What is going to happen all day is people filling up carts with merch they just touched all over with their grubby mits, getting to checkout, and being told no. Now my people and I have to put back all the product you just touched all over.

Then there's enforcing the mask rule and I don't have to go into why that's going to be a fiasco. Thrift people are already a twitchy lot, and this is going to throw some major fuel on some crazy fires.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

COVID-420 posted:

cspammers: please share your covid-life experiences! workers, i wanna hear what its like out there.

there is a whole litany of disgusting grievances my wife has with qfc during these last few incredibly lovely months, but really the standout episode was when, due to rushing hires in order to keep up with pandemic-level demand for groceries, the store accidentally hired a convicted child rapist who immediately creeped on the underage temps and several other female employees, including my wife. the new pedo coworker told my wife about how having sex with a certain employee would be like loving a waterbed, and he, unprompted, told her that he knew where she lived because he saw her walking with her kids. you know, fun stuff like that.

once my wife and other employees found an article about how he raped a disabled child, they flipped their poo poo and went to management, who fired him on the spot. the pedo shouted that he would be back the next day for work. when he came in for work the next day, management not only let it happen, they went on to chastise my wife and the other harassed employees for "rumormongering" and they were all ordered back to work. my wife hit her limit and walked out instead and a whole bunch of other employees followed her out and left them horrifically understaffed for the day.

i'm skipping over a bunch of stuff but the end result was the pedo got fired, some management folks got transferred instead of fired (lol), and no one who walked out has experienced any retaliation so far, i'm assuming thanks to the union.

haha just another day in the life of an underpaid essential worker

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

how the gently caress do these geniuses keep coming up with this poo poo. Sometimes I get angry that I’ll never come up with anything half as good as an onion headline

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Yeah that's what I was curious about. How common are false positives? Pretty common, right? I think she's been pretty careful but my stepfather does maintenance for a property management company so he's all over the place in a lot of uncontrolled conditions. I don't know. I'm on the other side of the country so not much I can do really and just trying to set my mind at ease.

It's not so common that I'd ignore it. She could always get another test if she starts feeling the least bit sick

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Serf posted:

nurse pay around here keeps going down. the people at this hospital saved my life when i lost my foot and now i wouldn't trust them to take my loving temperature

i hope u find ur foot someday

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

i reheated the food my mom brought us on memorial day (in the oven and used a probe thermometer to make sure everything was at temp) and washed my hands and all, but she dropped off homemade coleslaw as well and i let it sit in the fridge for three days

but the virus doesn't really... deactivate in the fridge temperatures. or at least the first SARS virus didn't

so rip

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

U-DO Burger posted:

there is a whole litany of disgusting grievances my wife has with qfc during these last few incredibly lovely months, but really the standout episode was when, due to rushing hires in order to keep up with pandemic-level demand for groceries, the store accidentally hired a convicted child rapist who immediately creeped on the underage temps and several other female employees, including my wife. the new pedo coworker told my wife about how having sex with a certain employee would be like loving a waterbed, and he, unprompted, told her that he knew where she lived because he saw her walking with her kids. you know, fun stuff like that.

once my wife and other employees found an article about how he raped a disabled child, they flipped their poo poo and went to management, who fired him on the spot. the pedo shouted that he would be back the next day for work. when he came in for work the next day, management not only let it happen, they went on to chastise my wife and the other harassed employees for "rumormongering" and they were all ordered back to work. my wife hit her limit and walked out instead and a whole bunch of other employees followed her out and left them horrifically understaffed for the day.

i'm skipping over a bunch of stuff but the end result was the pedo got fired, some management folks got transferred instead of fired (lol), and no one who walked out has experienced any retaliation so far, i'm assuming thanks to the union.

haha just another day in the life of an underpaid essential worker

Good lord

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Apraxin posted:

lol i had an image of what the dude would look like, and he surpassed it easily

also featured in the original news video

- a stage 4 cancer survivor who goes to the bar because you gotta make your own choices
- a lady saying she knows lots and lots of people, and none of them have caught the virus, so how bad can it really be?

He's put weight back on again?

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

any slaw worth eating is gonna have salt and vinegar in it and that theoretically should kill the virus please do not fact check me thanks

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Most people in this thread are pretty on top of how well the USA is handling the roni. Guess who's looking to get tips on how to follow in their footsteps? If you guessed Australia step up and collect your slave wages and roni package.

https://twitter.com/JoshFrydenberg/status/1266157585238855680

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Too Many Birds posted:

any slaw worth eating is gonna have salt and vinegar in it and that theoretically should kill the virus please do not fact check me thanks

agreed

but there was also potato salad :negative:

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

If foodborne or transmission over packages was common we would have contact traced cases that had a common cook or delivery person as the index case. This isn't happening anywhere across the globe. This is all the epidemiological evidence you need to know that if this style of transmission is possible, it's several orders of magnitude less likely than respiratory transmission.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Inceltown posted:

He's put weight back on again?

Leave Silent bob alone, he's suffered enough

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

And...

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

:frogon:

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

all i know is that if you put mayonnaise in the oven and heat it to 149 degrees F for 3 minutes you're good

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Patient today was being seen for drug refills and a "spider bite."

Spider bite in primary and emergency medicine usually means infected injection site. "Yeah, I got a spider bite there, no idea what happened." This is the reason that antibiotics are worth more than meth right now. So many people are using needles to shoot meth they're getting horrific cellulitis. Clindamycin is worth more than any drug right now.

She hasn't been seen in 3 months when she first presented with the spider bite. She has citalopram on her med list so I'm preparing myself for her to ask me for pills. She's also due for a urine drug screen. This is going to be a nightmare.

I walk in and she's a 60 yo WF in pink scrubs. "You're wearing scrubs too," I mention. "Yeah, I work for a living." She works home health as a CNA.. She's 60 but looks 80. Sounds like she's been smoking 2 packs a day since she was born.

We go through her pills, nothing crazy. Get the refills lined up. Ask her about the spider bite. "Well, I just dressed it, but if you must."

She starts unwrapping the coban from her ankle as she talks about how much she needs us to write her some more "healing cream." She starts talking about the infectious disease doctor she's seeing and how she tried to get home health to come see her because she doesn't want to go to wound care with this covid19 business but they said she can't get home health because she can't drive etc etc

she mentions a brown recluse

The coban is off and there 4x4 on her ankle. I slowly pull it off. There's a yellow thick cream she's applied to the wound. "That's the silvadyne they gave me. costs 75 bucks a bottle."

As I pull the 4x4 away, a chunk of the cream comes with it. About 1 inch by a half inch. This was the part of the cream that was in the wound. It has solidified. It's about a quarter of an inch deep.

I'm looking at her bone. This spider bite has eaten all the way down to her tibia. The flesh around is black. Necrotic.

She doesn't need wound care. She's needs a surgeon. She's needs a total debridement and skin graft.

"It hurts like hell," she says. I take off her shoe. Her toes are swollen, cold, and blue. I can barely feel a pulse. Smoking wrecks your immune response and your blood flow. Wounds don't heal. This brown recluse wound is so bad it's killing her venous return. So throw a vascular consult on it all.

"I ain't going to crossville with all this covid19"

I tell her she's going to lose her foot. Not like in the future or a few months from now but like soon. She just shrugs and tells me whatever. She refuses to quit smoking. We set her up for another consult after telling her home health will not come see her. Maybe she goes.

On the way out she asks for some free samples of breo ellipta. it's an inhaler for COPD.

The drug reps give us a bunch to pass out as samples, but we just give them out to people that can't afford their meds.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

as far as I know, false positives never happen on PRC tests (the kind that tell you if you currently have an infection)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

aaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA