Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

If foodborne or transmission over packages was common we would have contact traced cases that had a common cook or delivery person as the index case. This isn't happening anywhere across the globe. This is all the epidemiological evidence you need to know that if this style of transmission is possible, it's several orders of magnitude less likely than respiratory transmission.

yeah in Kona all the McDonalds employees at several locations got it, but none of the customers did. it is transmitted mainly via aerosols and being in close contact with an infected person while breathing in their infected exhaled aerosol mist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
For stories, I work in a community college in the SUNY system. Nobody in SUNY has made any decisions because the governor tends to make blanket statements without telling any of us and we don't want to get blindsided like we did when he closed.

I'm not kidding, I was in a planning meeting with our president and high ups, we turned on Cuomo's presser and he announced SUNY/CUNY was going remote. None of us had any idea until then. :v:

We have a bunch of scenarios and have been telling faculty to be ready for remote again. Most of them understand and are doing their best to be ready for anything but we have contractual issues, financial issues, personality issues, etc. Enrollment was down before this poo poo happened and now we are severely in the toilet as students are waiting to see what happens, or deferring. We hope to see a bit of a bump when kids and parents realize they don't need to pay 50k for zoom university when they can get it from us for less than 10% of that, but its a big if.

All the pundits talking about social distancing face to face courses without major major modifications or hybrid-ing it on a staggered schedule are talking bullshit. We at least do not have the classroom space to social distance our regular schedule. There are contract negotiations to be done if you have to split classes, and if you say "if they won't do it fire them" you don't know unions very well.

We thankfully have no sports meat grinder to push stupidity, and are in a state that is one of the ones going down the curve, but its a huge lift for all of us and pretty anxiety inducing when we are all spinning in place waiting for the governor.

I personally believe these privates and big state schools that are opening up come hell or high water are making a mistake, but I guess we'll see, right?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

snoo posted:

agreed

but there was also potato salad :negative:

rip

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

FizFashizzle posted:

Patient today was being seen for drug refills and a "spider bite."

Spider bite in primary and emergency medicine usually means infected injection site. "Yeah, I got a spider bite there, no idea what happened." This is the reason that antibiotics are worth more than meth right now. So many people are using needles to shoot meth they're getting horrific cellulitis. Clindamycin is worth more than any drug right now.

She hasn't been seen in 3 months when she first presented with the spider bite. She has citalopram on her med list so I'm preparing myself for her to ask me for pills. She's also due for a urine drug screen. This is going to be a nightmare.

I walk in and she's a 60 yo WF in pink scrubs. "You're wearing scrubs too," I mention. "Yeah, I work for a living." She works home health as a CNA.. She's 60 but looks 80. Sounds like she's been smoking 2 packs a day since she was born.

We go through her pills, nothing crazy. Get the refills lined up. Ask her about the spider bite. "Well, I just dressed it, but if you must."

She starts unwrapping the coban from her ankle as she talks about how much she needs us to write her some more "healing cream." She starts talking about the infectious disease doctor she's seeing and how she tried to get home health to come see her because she doesn't want to go to wound care with this covid19 business but they said she can't get home health because she can't drive etc etc

she mentions a brown recluse

The coban is off and there 4x4 on her ankle. I slowly pull it off. There's a yellow thick cream she's applied to the wound. "That's the silvadyne they gave me. costs 75 bucks a bottle."

As I pull the 4x4 away, a chunk of the cream comes with it. About 1 inch by a half inch. This was the part of the cream that was in the wound. It has solidified. It's about a quarter of an inch deep.

I'm looking at her bone. This spider bite has eaten all the way down to her tibia. The flesh around is black. Necrotic.

She doesn't need wound care. She's needs a surgeon. She's needs a total debridement and skin graft.

"It hurts like hell," she says. I take off her shoe. Her toes are swollen, cold, and blue. I can barely feel a pulse. Smoking wrecks your immune response and your blood flow. Wounds don't heal. This brown recluse wound is so bad it's killing her venous return. So throw a vascular consult on it all.

"I ain't going to crossville with all this covid19"

I tell her she's going to lose her foot. Not like in the future or a few months from now but like soon. She just shrugs and tells me whatever. She refuses to quit smoking. We set her up for another consult after telling her home health will not come see her. Maybe she goes.

On the way out she asks for some free samples of breo ellipta. it's an inhaler for COPD.

The drug reps give us a bunch to pass out as samples, but we just give them out to people that can't afford their meds.

rip

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

FizFashizzle posted:

Holy poo poo

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Stereotype posted:

yeah in Kona all the McDonalds employees at several locations got it, but none of the customers did. it is transmitted mainly via aerosols and being in close contact with an infected person while breathing in their infected exhaled aerosol mist.

Man it's so cool that everyone Knowledgeable insisted it couldn't be in aerosol form, droplets wouldn't carry, and it was only in fomites and they were so loving sure that we should not even take precautions just in case the new disease had unknowns

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I love your stories fiz thank you

your people trapped between the toilet and wall stories were some of my favorites of all
time

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

LegionAreI posted:

For stories, I work in a community college in the SUNY system. Nobody in SUNY has made any decisions because the governor tends to make blanket statements without telling any of us and we don't want to get blindsided like we did when he closed.

I'm not kidding, I was in a planning meeting with our president and high ups, we turned on Cuomo's presser and he announced SUNY/CUNY was going remote. None of us had any idea until then. :v:

We have a bunch of scenarios and have been telling faculty to be ready for remote again. Most of them understand and are doing their best to be ready for anything but we have contractual issues, financial issues, personality issues, etc. Enrollment was down before this poo poo happened and now we are severely in the toilet as students are waiting to see what happens, or deferring. We hope to see a bit of a bump when kids and parents realize they don't need to pay 50k for zoom university when they can get it from us for less than 10% of that, but its a big if.

All the pundits talking about social distancing face to face courses without major major modifications or hybrid-ing it on a staggered schedule are talking bullshit. We at least do not have the classroom space to social distance our regular schedule. There are contract negotiations to be done if you have to split classes, and if you say "if they won't do it fire them" you don't know unions very well.

We thankfully have no sports meat grinder to push stupidity, and are in a state that is one of the ones going down the curve, but its a huge lift for all of us and pretty anxiety inducing when we are all spinning in place waiting for the governor.

I personally believe these privates and big state schools that are opening up come hell or high water are making a mistake, but I guess we'll see, right?

rip

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

Man it's so cool that everyone Knowledgeable insisted it couldn't be in aerosol form, droplets wouldn't carry, and it was only in fomites and they were so loving sure that we should not even take precautions just in case the new disease had unknowns

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

FizFashizzle posted:

Christ on the cross

Can I buy you a shot of something, because holy moly

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Steve Yun posted:

as far as I know, false positives never happen on PRC tests (the kind that tell you if you currently have an infection)

tbh if you have a high degree of societal authority there's no reason to risk allowing false positives to not be quarantined, it's safer to assume there aren't any. it's not nice or "free" but if your goal is preventing the spread of disease that's the safe bet.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Inceltown posted:

Most people in this thread are pretty on top of how well the USA is handling the roni. Guess who's looking to get tips on how to follow in their footsteps? If you guessed Australia step up and collect your slave wages and roni package.

https://twitter.com/JoshFrydenberg/status/1266157585238855680

We've been the worst US vassal bootlicker state for fuckin ages. It's gunna kill us.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

Finding new and interesting ways to be horrified beyond belief in 2020

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

FizFashizzle posted:

So many people are using needles to shoot meth
She hasn't been seen in 3 months
This is going to be a nightmare.

I walk in and she's a 60 yo WF in pink scrubs.
"You're wearing scrubs too," I mention.
"Yeah, I work for a living."

She works home health as a CNA..
She's 60 but looks 80.
Sounds like she's been smoking 2 packs a day
since she was born.

We go through her pills, nothing crazy.
Get the refills lined up.
she talks about how much she needs us
she tried to get home health to come see her

"It hurts like hell," she says.
I take off her shoe.
Her toes are swollen, cold, and blue.

Wounds don't heal.

She just shrugs and tells me whatever.

Elliot Smith or early Bob Dylan, either works

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

vyst posted:

It's not so common that I'd ignore it. She could always get another test if she starts feeling the least bit sick

Steve Yun posted:

as far as I know, false positives never happen on PRC tests (the kind that tell you if you currently have an infection)

:sigh: Thanks. Well. It’s so far out of my control I’m not going to stress it. She’s a pretty careful person and she’s smart enough to take care of herself. I’ll just take a wait and see I guess. No reason stressing it except I know I will anyway.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

FizFashizzle posted:

Spider bite in primary and emergency medicine usually means infected injection site. "Yeah, I got a spider bite there, no idea what happened." This is the reason that antibiotics are worth more than meth right now. So many people are using needles to shoot meth they're getting horrific cellulitis. Clindamycin is worth more than any drug right now.

She hasn't been seen in 3 months when she first presented with the spider bite. She has citalopram on her med list so I'm preparing myself for her to ask me for pills. She's also due for a urine drug screen. This is going to be a nightmare.

I walk in and she's a 60 yo WF in pink scrubs. "You're wearing scrubs too," I mention. "Yeah, I work for a living." She works home health as a CNA.. She's 60 but looks 80. Sounds like she's been smoking 2 packs a day since she was born.

We go through her pills, nothing crazy. Get the refills lined up. Ask her about the spider bite. "Well, I just dressed it, but if you must."

She starts unwrapping the coban from her ankle as she talks about how much she needs us to write her some more "healing cream." She starts talking about the infectious disease doctor she's seeing and how she tried to get home health to come see her because she doesn't want to go to wound care with this covid19 business but they said she can't get home health because she can't drive etc etc

The coban is off and there 4x4 on her ankle. I slowly pull it off. There's a yellow thick cream she's applied to the wound. "That's the silvadyne they gave me. costs 75 bucks a bottle."

As I pull the 4x4 away, a chunk of the cream comes with it. About 1 inch by a half inch. This was the part of the cream that was in the wound. It has solidified. It's about a quarter of an inch deep.

I'm looking at her bone. This spider bite has eaten all the way down to her tibia. The flesh around is black. Necrotic.

She doesn't need wound care. She's needs a surgeon. She's needs a total debridement and skin graft.

"It hurts like hell," she says. I take off her shoe. Her toes are swollen, cold, and blue. I can barely feel a pulse. Smoking wrecks your immune response and your blood flow. Wounds don't heal. This brown recluse wound is so bad it's killing her venous return. So throw a vascular consult on it all.

I tell her she's going to lose her foot. Not like in the future or a few months from now but like soon. She just shrugs and tells me whatever. She refuses to quit smoking. We set her up for another consult after telling her home health will not come see her. Maybe she goes.

On the way out she asks for some free samples of breo ellipta. it's an inhaler for COPD.

The drug reps give us a bunch to pass out as samples, but we just give them out to people that can't afford their meds.

World is a gently caress.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

mastershakeman posted:

I'm still leaving anything non perishible in the garage for a few days and wiping down stuff going in the fridge for now in case this changes. Though I'm definitely increasingly lax with packages and mail.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Flesh Forge posted:

tbh if you have a high degree of societal authority there's no reason to risk allowing false positives to not be quarantined, it's safer to assume there aren't any. it's not nice or "free" but if your goal is preventing the spread of disease that's the safe bet.

I’m not asking cause I want my mom not to quarantine I’m really just asking so I have a reason to not get irrationally worried about something I can’t control. Kind of nerve wracking to get that news when you live on the other side of the country you know. But yeah probably not worth dwelling on.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

FizFashizzle posted:

Out of morbid curiosity, would it financially cost more for her to get treated now and hopefully save her foot, or for her to have an emergency amputation in however many days/weeks?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Helith posted:

Out of morbid curiosity, would it financially cost more for her to get treated now and hopefully save her foot, or for her to have an emergency amputation in however many days/weeks?

Not exactly an identical situation but this is a harrowing read https://features.propublica.org/diabetes-amputations/black-american-amputation-epidemic/

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

im going to make a big thread about this town here in the next couple days. my rotation is over and im on to an even MORE remote part of tennessee. Basically if you need a gallbladder removed in the next few weeks in northern central tennessee im probably going to do it.

here's a sneak peak.

go half a mile out of down town and this is what you'll see. this is not an abandoned house. the guy inside doesn't come out except to buy cigarettes from the gas station across the street. presumably he gets groceries.

he can't keep the place up anymore so nature is just kinda taking it back over. Where I am in tennessee is basically just short of being a rainforest. things grow fast here.

some day a meth head will go in to steal the copper wiring and find the body.

This is across the street from the clinic I work, just down the hill from the regional hospital that closed last year. Every morning the workers wave sandwich boards trying to get people to come in. I can't imagine it's a hard sell. the people around here are desperate.

That truck is probably worth more than the building.

It shouldn't surprise you that the nicest building in town is the funeral home. It's on the other side of the downtown.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Well, gently caress. Friend of a friend has been placed in an induced coma due to respiratory failure.

He called my friend the day before to say he was very ill but that it couldn't possibly be coronavirus because reasons.

We have other mutual friends who also swear it can't be coronavirus because reasons.

If he dies I wonder if he'll even get tested and counted.

This is in Los Angeles.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Helith posted:

procedure wise amputation.

but then you're adding in prosthetics, PT, wheel chairs, lost productivity, etc.

my favorite tidbit is that when diabetics start having stuff amputated, they surgeons will cut off as small a piece as they can. Part of this is the optimistic thoughts that the 400 pound person is going to get their life together, lose weight, and start walking again. Part of it is it's more profitable to just pieces off a little at a time. You think you cut a little bit of foot off every 3 months, get enough patients, that's bread and butter money.

at the VA, they divide the foot into thirds. First time you go in, they take the the front third. Second time, they take the 2nd third. Third time you go in? They take as far up as your vascular system will support.

I honestly believe the VA system is better.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

FizFashizzle posted:

JESUS CHRIST

kopasetic
Sep 18, 2009

Helith posted:

amputation is quick and easy, I even got to cut a foot off as a med student. saving the limb is likely multiple surgeries and possibly weeks of antibiotics. so the amputation is probably cheaper.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Mr. Sharps posted:

check out what happened to marseille in 1720 when the merchant class demanded that they open ‘er up!!!

Well, look at that.

quote:

When it arrived at Marseille, it was promptly placed under quarantine in the lazaret by the port authorities.[7] Due largely to Marseille's monopoly on French trade with the Levant, this important port had a large stock of imported goods in warehouses. It was also expanding its trade with other areas of the Middle East and emerging markets in the New World. Powerful city merchants wanted the silk and cotton cargo of the ship for the great medieval fair at Beaucaire and pressured authorities to lift the quarantine.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

FizFashizzle posted:

jesus

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

sullat posted:

Well, look at that.

lol, you skipped the number part

quote:

While economic activity took only a few years to recover, as trade expanded to the West Indies and Latin America, it was not until 1765 that the population returned to its pre-1720 level.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

but then you're adding in prosthetics, PT, wheel chairs, lost productivity, etc.

my favorite tidbit is that when diabetics start having stuff amputated, they surgeons will cut off as small a piece as they can. Part of this is the optimistic thoughts that the 400 pound person is going to get their life together, lose weight, and start walking again. Part of it is it's more profitable to just pieces off a little at a time. You think you cut a little bit of foot off every 3 months, get enough patients, that's bread and butter money.

at the VA, they divide the foot into thirds. First time you go in, they take the the front third. Second time, they take the 2nd third. Third time you go in? They take as far up as your vascular system will support.

god drat america

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

This is a Krokodil-tier story, goddamn.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Someone had mentioned that historical chapter before, but it was more in the context of violating quarantines and virulance. Under the context of dying for capital, it is deliciously ironic.

kopasetic
Sep 18, 2009
at least in New Orleans, any given night of trauma surgery call is going to feature quite a few necrotic digit or limb amputations. after it gets to a certain point, people seem to stop giving a gently caress until poo poo is literally falling off or you start to see bone.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Stereotype posted:

geez when you put it like that it sounds kinda gross

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

There's one active case of coronavirus in NZ. :toot:

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

Because I have no medial background; if you remove a third of the foot would it take longer for necrosis to set in again than if they had just taken the smallest amount possible? Or does the advantage lie solely in reducing the number of necessary surgeries?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Thanks, now I'm angry.

Maybe post this in the longreads thread in PYF too?

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug

COVID-420 posted:

cspammers: please share your covid-life experiences! workers, i wanna hear what its like out there.

After I got laid off from my restaurant job here in Austin, I managed to nab a job with the city public transportation here few weeks later wiping down the buses. It's nice since I manage to just barely qualify for unemployment so I'm getting the Bernie buxs while working 20 hours.

At first it was like pretty easy to do since nobody's riding the bus at all, but in the recent past few weeks, ridership has been starting to increase.

About a week ago (at least I think it was a week ago? It was around when Abbott said we're opening up) I saw a guy getting off a bus, walk a few step and then just collapsed on the street. Immediately the EMTS and some police car was on the scene alongside with the Cap Metro supervisor who drove down.

The guy couldn't be more than 30 years old, they managed to revive him and seems like he called off the ride to the hospital? He got up and walked over to another bus and started to cough into his mask. From what I was told, the guy was homeless and it seems like he just couldn't breathe very well since he's a heavy smoker. It just couldn't be Covid-19, right?

After that happened, I put in another order for more KN95 masks and I'm looking for a proper painter mask (if I could find any that's in stock and available to buy)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Thoguh posted:

I'm still leaving anything non perishible in the garage for a few days and wiping down stuff going in the fridge for now in case this changes. Though I'm definitely increasingly lax with packages and mail.

Yep me too. Its a brand new virus, we don't know for sure how stuff works so might as well wipe stuff down but I'm also getting lazy on packages. Mail is all junk so I just don't touch it and kick it around to see if there's anything important (got me 3 year medical weed card yesterday :coolfish:)

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
ive started to fake cough when near people without masks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

FizFashizzle posted:

the amount of MRI's I do for diabetic nonhealing ulcerations of the foot is loving insane. Every 3-6 months doing a repeat MRI to find out how much more they need to trim off this time. I don't like it cause feet are a boring rear end study and you're never going to see some wild poo poo. Just oh look osteomyelitis from this purulent, unstageable wound.