Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Can I still have concerns over how the damage will gently caress over the minimum-wage employees at that store even if I think the riot was justified overall or does that make a shitlib simpdem or whatever?

it's the woke version of crying about damage to private property.

minimum-wage target employees were all already being hosed over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

stealie72 posted:

loving KILLS me that the only decent union left in the US exists for the benefit of cops.

International Association of Firefighters. Also actually holds some power, problem is that they usually have to take the center left route to garner support from the members.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KirbyKhan posted:

Mostly conjecture due to the close proximity to Target HQ. Also folks in that Target were stripping embedded electronics out the wall.

targets all have ble beacons absolutely everywhere so their app can tell you exactly you are in the store. i assume its used for other inventory control stuff

is there video of stripping the electronics somewhere?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
lets take a quick break

https://twitter.com/mellierenee/status/1266101091667771393?s=20

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Some break, you rear end in a top hat. Have a nice doggy and kitty instead.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
So was Trump's executive order a big nothing or what? I haven't seen a ton of stuff about it.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

APparently people can officially complain about being oppressed and then ??? because literally there is a law on file preventing anyone from doing anything about it.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

bengy81 posted:

So was Trump's executive order a big nothing or what? I haven't seen a ton of stuff about it.

its so he didnt have to acknowledge the 100k dead

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
New rules being discussed in CSPAM about mods laying down a basic doxing definition and seeking feedback. Then the mod linked the Federal Department of QCS announcement.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

My wife put me onto these people's bullshit the other night, and the rabbit hole goes deep. Very deep.

Suffice to say they are bigger pieces of poo poo than you think they are from reading that tweet.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

bengy81 posted:

A weak fart, of course.

quote:

Trump's draft executive order would ask the Federal Communications Commission to clarify Section 230—specifically a provision shielding companies from liability when they remove objectionable content. The provision requires that takedowns be made "in good faith," and the Trump administration wants the FCC to clarify situations in which takedowns are not made in good faith but are instead "deceptive, pretextual, or inconsistent with a provider's terms of service" or those undertaken with inadequate notice, explanation, or opportunity for appeal.

It's unclear if the FCC has the authority to interpret Section 230, which does not explicitly give the FCC rulemaking power. However, Section 230 is technically part of the Communications Act, and the courts have traditionally given the FCC broad discretion to clarify portions of the act—so it's possible FCC rulemaking here could pass legal muster.

Another provision asks the Federal Trade Commission to examine whether online platforms are restricting speech "in ways that do not align with those entities' public representations about those practices"—in other words, whether the companies' actual content moderation practices are consistent with their terms of service. The executive order suggests that an inconsistency between policy and practice could constitute an "unfair and deceptive practice" under consumer protection laws.

Trump would also ask the FTC to consider whether large online platforms like Facebook and Twitter have become so big that they've effectively become "the modern public square"—and hence governed by the First Amendment. Interestingly, the DC Circuit Appeals Court rejected this argument just yesterday in a case where a conservative activist argued that technology giants had violated her First Amendment rights. The court ruled that the First Amendment only limits the actions of governments, not private companies. It seems likely that the courts would reach a similar conclusion here.

Finally, the order directs US Attorney General William Barr to organize a working group of state attorneys general to consider whether online platforms' policies violated state consumer protection laws.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

I predict the purpose of his “EO” isn’t to get any official stuff done, but to make his base think he did.

Because they’re already mad about the *~*free speech*~* and if I recall, their attachment to guns is to “protect the first amendment.”

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

bengy81 posted:

It's really stupid. The in-depth explanation of what they want to do is here.

Section 230 basically says that twitter/facebook can't be held legally liable for the poo poo posted on there. Trump wants to revise that (he can't), to make the companies liable (not really, he wants to work the refs and make them take court actions), while accusing them of political bias (lol facebook is Trump country).

It's stupid because if Section 230 would get repealed, conservatives would be thrown off those social media platforms like crazy for the racist/threatening/medically incorrect information constantly posted. Trump would get tossed from Twitter immediately. Social media sites wouldn't loving harbor those people at the potential risk of lawsuits for every piece of poo poo that gets posted.

Incidentally, Biden wants Section 230 revised as well, specifically because of Facebook's equivocating bullshit on zuckfuck's WE AREN'T THE TRUTH POLICE standpoint.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/GypsyEyedBeauty/status/1266164431584714753?s=20

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

bengy81 posted:

I'd call it a wet fart of protest that probably hints at some sinister poo poo that has been poured in his ear and couldn't wait to brag suggestively.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/angry-over-how-social-media-platforms-are-treating-him-trump-n1216401

quote:

In a feud with Twitter, President Donald Trump signed an executive order Thursday asking federal regulators to revisit the 1996 law that protects websites from liability for what their users post.

Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act

quote:

The Internet community as a whole objected strongly to the Communications Decency Act, and with EFF's help, the anti-free speech provisions were struck down by the Supreme Court. But thankfully, CDA 230 remains and in the years since has far outshone the rest of the law.
[O]nline intermediaries that host or republish speech are protected against a range of laws that might otherwise be used to hold them legally responsible for what others say and do. The protected intermediaries include not only regular Internet Service Providers (ISPs), but also a range of "interactive computer service providers," including basically any online service that publishes third-party content.
The legal protections provided by CDA 230 are unique to U.S. law; European nations, Canada, Japan, and the vast majority of other countries do not have similar statutes on the books. While these countries have high levels of Internet access, most prominent online services are based in the United States. This is in part because CDA 230 makes the U.S. a safe haven for websites that want to provide a platform for controversial or political speech and a legal environment favorable to free expression.

e;fb

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

That's one of the fuckers that shot Isak Aden

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

:commissar:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Haha gently caress people

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Both sides, both sides.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
"who knelt on George Floyd's neck"

Get the gently caress out of here he straight up murdered the man, christ

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERhMCeLr1bg

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Love to protest on a warm day with a full facemask, coat, gloves and umbrella.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

People already do this poo poo with pets, no surprise that they'd eventually do it to other human beings.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

not caring here posted:

That's one of the fuckers that shot Isak Aden

i can't find any pictures of that guy, do you know of any? also every source says his name was Peterson.

e: i very much want this to be true, but it could be any number of other cops.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

rifles posted:

Nope, it's specifically exempted in language all over the place for guard members.

For instance, FAFSA has its own definition of veteran. I have a few friends on Title 32 orders right now in the guard, and this change will get them the 90 days to receive VA benefits like the post 9/11. FAFSA, however, only considers a guard member a veteran if they served at least one day on federal active duty (title 10 orders in the guard) for purposes other than training meaning that private joe idiot on an active duty contract who pops hot at reception and gets an entry-level separation with one day of service is considered a veteran by FAFSA, but SPC jimmy who has x years of successful service in the guard, who was on federal orders for 3-12+ months for initial training that he successfully completed, did 90+ days on Title 32 orders for this and gets some VA benefits, but has never been federally activated on title 10 for anything but training is not.

In practice this example means one of my friends whose parents can't afford to help him go to school is basically living in poverty. Ohio has a guard scholarship that pays his tuition, but he receives zero federal aid because his EFC is too high. He won't be able to use his military status to petition to be declared financially independent until he turns 24 (like anybody else), or until he gets even a single day on title 10 orders for other than training purposes. The same applied to me; I received zero aid for my first year of college, but as soon as I turned 24 I filed to be declared financially independent, and my EFC went to 0. I then started to receive a full Pell Grant, along with several other state grants.

Now I even get a needs-based scholarship that was based on FAFSA eligibility and it makes my life pretty comfortable financially while I'm in school.

The guard gets the weenie in its own special ways.

So he can't draw title 1606 or 1607 GI Bill any more? I'm speaking as a former Ohio Guardsman that went to school before the Post 9/11 GI Bill

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Police riot.

https://twitter.com/stribrooks/status/1266186985041022976

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Doc Hawkins posted:

i can't find any pictures of that guy, do you know of any? also every source says his name was Peterson.

e: i very much want this to be true, but it could be any number of other cops.

I saw a mention of him working in saint Paul and previously Eagan and if that's a different dude then holy poo poo what a coincidence

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Squad car #181 in the replies.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

That Works posted:

It's Minnesota. Those are all things he looted.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Flikken posted:

So he can't draw title 1606 or 1607 GI Bill any more? I'm speaking as a former Ohio Guardsman that went to school before the Post 9/11 GI Bill

He can and has been - the 1606 is $362 a month but also burns Post 9/11 benefit months and helps to pay his rent but doesn't cover it entirely. He could continue to draw it instead of using the Post 9/11 that he'll be eligible for now, but why would he? I used it for a bit and then replaced it in my first year with a student job because it's such a poor return on the benefit months. They also prorate it the same as the Post 9/11 so in January he was short on his first month of rent because it paid less than $362.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

MRC48B posted:

It's Minnesota. Those are all things he looted.

Looted from his ex-wife who identified him as a current cop, according to the tweet upthread

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Internet Wizard posted:

Looted from his ex-wife who identified him as a current cop, according to the tweet upthread

i mean anyone can identify him as a cop by watching the video, but the tweet claims to identify him by name

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

While I totally think it was a cop or assorted rear end in a top hat who kicked it off, I'll wait for better confirmation.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

rifles posted:

He can and has been - the 1606 is $362 a month but also burns Post 9/11 benefit months and helps to pay his rent but doesn't cover it entirely. He could continue to draw it instead of using the Post 9/11 that he'll be eligible for now, but why would he? I used it for a bit and then replaced it in my first year with a student job because it's such a poor return on the benefit months. They also prorate it the same as the Post 9/11 so in January he was short on his first month of rent because it paid less than $362.

Tell him to reclass as 31B and he will get deployed before too long and can then tap that sweet post 911. There will be a unit close to him.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Holy poo poo I TLDR'd most of that and didn't realize the clip and tweets were connected. I was just trying to make a joke about minnesota's terrible weather.

:negative:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Holy poo poo when you as the boot of authority have lost Ben Garrison, you've lost the war.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

bulletsponge13 posted:

While I totally think it was a cop or assorted rear end in a top hat who kicked it off, I'll wait for better confirmation.

Dude, you think they are going to put that on the blotter? In the reality where it is true (like this one) hypothetically who would break and confirm this story?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Gloomtube isn't up, but here are two feeds of the ongoing stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSWvPJnyMqY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eZaOGehK6k

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

That Works posted:

I mean if you seriously think CS and OC are coming out then yeah, it’s not a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

KirbyKhan posted:

Dude, you think they are going to put that on the blotter? In the reality where it is true (like this one) hypothetically who would break and confirm this story?

Hopefully the FBI. Maybe a journalist. Maybe literally anyone besides a nobody twitter account posting screenshots from an unverified facebook conversation. I'd like to think the burden of proof is a little higher than what we've got now. If it turns out to be true, then holy loving poo poo. Buckle up.