Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

ColtMcAsskick posted:

Praying they are spicy but I bet they’ll be boring

There'll definitely be some spice. You don't fight something up to the High Court if it's dull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Surely anything spicy would've been 'lost' or eaten by rats or something.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Solemn Sloth posted:

Everyone in the machine is providing material support to LNP hackery

And every Fed public servant? I mean most local councils are run by tories so I guess every council worker is up against the wall as well. Lets not start on those office managers that are enabling multinationals to dodge tax. Also i'm pretty sure the cleaner at Rio personally approved this weeks destruction of heritage sites.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Having a look online and out of 5 (6 including weekend editions) only one paper here will still be in print, going to be a huge out cry since there is a lot of oldies out here

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Good luck getting to read digital editions via your lovely rural NBN

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Anidav posted:

News Corp buys up newspapers, stacks the newsroom with opinion columnists and pays them 100 to 200k per year to suck LNP dick.

In order to pay for the cocksuckers wage the cost of advertising goes up and businesses leave.

The paper then dies slowly as prices go up and advertiser go down.

Then the cocksuckers gets promoted to The Australian and the papers close down.

Oof madone.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

hambeet posted:

Like how do they not make money? I’m in a semi rural area and the free local paper makes stacks of cash just from the local business advertising.

Am I missing something obvious?

Advertising revenue has taken a massive drop in the last couple of months for obvious reasons.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

We should have a news service that isn't for profit, maybe have the government pay for it...

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

VOTE1 posted:

And every Fed public servant? I mean most local councils are run by tories so I guess every council worker is up against the wall as well. Lets not start on those office managers that are enabling multinationals to dodge tax. Also i'm pretty sure the cleaner at Rio personally approved this weeks destruction of heritage sites.

I have come to accept Sloth supports the idea of anyone involved in with a bad organisation is to be shot come the revolution. It is a very inner city Melbourne idea. He means well though.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

We should have a news service that isn't for profit, maybe have the government pay for it...

As long as JanFran isn't running it.

God the Feed got so bad.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Gridlocked posted:

I have come to accept Sloth supports the idea of anyone involved in with a bad organisation is to be shot come the revolution. It is a very inner city Melbourne idea. He means well though.

Guillotines are far more environmentally sustainable than firing squads.

Like overall, Anidav quitting his job would have a significant harm to him and his family, and an extremely minuscule harm to News Corp by replacing him with their next best candidate. So whatever, you can make a really strong case against quitting. But acting like News Corp isn't some utterly reprehensible organisation with direct responsibility for a huge slice of the problems with western democracy, and that its death throes shouldn't be cheered even if it puts people out of a job? Get hosed

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 29, 2020

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Not Auspol, but this livestream from Minneapolis is pretty wild right now, they forced the cops to retreat and have taken over the police precinct the killer cop came from. Currently burning lots of the contents of the building:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eZaOGehK6k

go_banana
Oct 13, 2010

Senor Tron posted:

Not Auspol, but this livestream from Minneapolis is pretty wild right now, they forced the cops to retreat and have taken over the police precinct the killer cop came from. Currently burning lots of the contents of the building:

Gnarly. Class traitors anyway.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Palace Letters (between Kerr and the Queen) can be accessed by the historian who's been after them for years, rules High Court

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-29/high-court-rules-palace-letters-released-historian-jenny-hocking/12299164
About loving time. Even if there is zero spice, these are some very important parts of Australian history. I think they will show some direct light on how unconstitutional the actions and timeline of the dismissal were. Shame Gough didn't live to see it.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Senor Tron posted:

America is a hosed up place.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

Anecdote time. I was having my first post-Covid haircut today and was told this story by the barber:

He had a client that week that announced he had been in quarentine for 28 days. When pressed as to why he had been in quarentine so long, he admitted that he'd been on the Ruby Princess.

He had been in a party of eight, of those, five tested positive to the virus, three were hospitalized and one died. The client and his wife never tested posutuive, and were tested multiple times in their quarentine period.

The barber asked if this had put him off cruises for life, and was told that that he'd already booked his next cruise. "Well we didn't get sick. And they were offering us tickets at 25% off!"

tl:dr people are fuckwits.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Eyespy posted:

Anecdote time. I was having my first post-Covid haircut today and was told this story by the barber:

He had a client that week that announced he had been in quarentine for 28 days. When pressed as to why he had been in quarentine so long, he admitted that he'd been on the Ruby Princess.

He had been in a party of eight, of those, five tested positive to the virus, three were hospitalized and one died. The client and his wife never tested posutuive, and were tested multiple times in their quarentine period.

The barber asked if this had put him off cruises for life, and was told that that he'd already booked his next cruise. "Well we didn't get sick. And they were offering us tickets at 25% off!"

Hahahahaha

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Eyespy posted:

I was having my first post-Covid haircut today

Checks out

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Eyespy posted:

Just wait till second wave where Border Force just starts torpedoing Cruise Ships but that guy still washes up on shore alive and goes on another cruise afterwards cause it's 50% off.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

realbez posted:

Checks out

don't be an arsehole. personal grooming can be important for mental health, and a person having one haircut in ~three months is not exactly irresponsible. I haven't had any haircuts since late January (aside from the really poo poo job I did with clippers at home) but I don't begrudge it if people want to have a professional do it once every 2 or 3 months, assuming hygiene practices are being followed :shrug:. it's pretty drat safe if they're both wearing masks and are washing their hands regularly

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Just wait till second wave where Border Force just starts torpedoing Cruise Ships but that guy still washes up on shore alive and goes on another cruise afterwards cause it's 50% off.

They're full of Liberal voters, Border Force won't be torpedoing poo poo. If anything they'll roll out the red carpet

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

gay picnic defence posted:

If anything they'll roll out the red carpet

Again.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Before Times posted:

don't be an arsehole. personal grooming can be important for mental health, and a person having one haircut in ~three months is not exactly irresponsible. I haven't had any haircuts since late January (aside from the really poo poo job I did with clippers at home) but I don't begrudge it if people want to have a professional do it once every 2 or 3 months, assuming hygiene practices are being followed :shrug:. it's pretty drat safe if they're both wearing masks and are washing their hands regularly

No, haircuts are not important. Of course, we're all guilty of doing things that aren't important and people are fuckwits.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Shame the Robodebt thing couldn’t be stopped before it caused a whole bunch of people to kill themselves

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Eyespy posted:

There was a recent article about the people desperate to start cruise-ing again despite literally everything.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/politicsabc/status/1266237215916519425?s=19

So do they refund the money to burial plots as current place of residence, or...?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

drunkill posted:

So do they refund the money to burial plots as current place of residence, or...?

Nah that money helps pay off the deficit.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Huh - I got a note a couple of weeks ago from the gov about being automatically opted into the class action stuff around robodebts.

Don't expect to get anything back myself but hopefully some goes to people in a bit more need than me that got hosed by it.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

drunkill posted:

Are they refunding people to shrink the size of the class action? Or would those people continue to have a case?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
So what happens to all those dead people who got robodebt'd? Written off as a no loss?

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

VodeAndreas posted:

Huh - I got a note a couple of weeks ago from the gov about being automatically opted into the class action stuff around robodebts.

Don't expect to get anything back myself but hopefully some goes to people in a bit more need than me that got hosed by it.

I am in the same boat, but I have already heard that compared to the class action, this option will leave a few people without their money

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

I had a legit robodebt from back from when I went from Austudy to paid work and the website broke for me and I couldn't update and didn't feel like spending an hour on the phone and decided "well gently caress it I'll just pay the robodebt when it comes". Sounds like it was a good move and I can claw back that undeserved tax payer money from the government.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

Like overall, Anidav quitting his job would have a significant harm to him and his family, and an extremely minuscule harm to News Corp by replacing him with their next best candidate. So whatever, you can make a really strong case against quitting. But acting like News Corp isn't some utterly reprehensible organisation with direct responsibility for a huge slice of the problems with western democracy, and that its death throes shouldn't be cheered even if it puts people out of a job? Get hosed

The problem is that this isn't death throes, it's not actually removing its ability to do harm, it's cutting off the small amount of good it also does. This makes problems worse, not better. You know news corp itself will only be bailed out.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

You are one of the dumbest people alive and I am glad that nobody takes you seriously itt and (hopefully) irl

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

realbez posted:

No, haircuts are not important. Of course, we're all guilty of doing things that aren't important and people are fuckwits.

hair cuts can in fact be important, you just don't need one every couple of weeks

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I hope a bunch of newspapers phoenix out of this and are run by communities.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-30/robodebt-class-action-continue-damages-debts-waived/12302174

quote:

Gordon Legal principal lawyer James Naughton, who is working on the class action, said the demands for payment, often from vulnerable people trying to make ends meet, needed to be rectified.
"It doesn't resolve the class action, and it doesn't change the fact that the Government still needs to answer to claims of compensation and claims of damages and inconvenience and distress that this system has caused," he said.
"There have been many thousands of stories of people that have been harmed as a result of the robodebt system.
"People should be compensated for the harm that the robodebt system has caused."

The robodebt class action's gonna keep going

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

Here's hoping for a good outcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Well we know the reason for dumping COAG now at least.

National Cabinet papers can’t be FOId, and for meetings of individual ministers, without the COAG framework they just won’t produce official papers so there won’t be anything to FOI :toot: democracy working as intended

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...529-p54xpv.html