Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
Gunshots are "normal" but this was literally in the complex and that's not. I hear helicopters now but they're kinda normal

E: helicopters at 10:55pm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

nooneofconsequence posted:

As far as I can tell the stricter lockdowns are yielding success so people are pretty okay with that. Like New Zealand is happy af.

Things are mostly getting back to normal here, though everyone's still disinfecting everything and lots of people still working from home. I went to a bar last night :unsmith:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Sphyre posted:

There's one active case of coronavirus in NZ. :toot:

it could turn into 55 thousand if you play your cards right

I’ve been thinking about moving to NZ since the LOTR movies came out but for sure not gonna happen this year

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

FizFashizzle posted:

im going to make a big thread about this town here in the next couple days. my rotation is over and im on to an even MORE remote part of tennessee. Basically if you need a gallbladder removed in the next few weeks in northern central tennessee im probably going to do it.

here's a sneak peak.

go half a mile out of down town and this is what you'll see. this is not an abandoned house. the guy inside doesn't come out except to buy cigarettes from the gas station across the street. presumably he gets groceries.

he can't keep the place up anymore so nature is just kinda taking it back over. Where I am in tennessee is basically just short of being a rainforest. things grow fast here.

some day a meth head will go in to steal the copper wiring and find the body.

This is across the street from the clinic I work, just down the hill from the regional hospital that closed last year. Every morning the workers wave sandwich boards trying to get people to come in. I can't imagine it's a hard sell. the people around here are desperate.

That truck is probably worth more than the building.

It shouldn't surprise you that the nicest building in town is the funeral home. It's on the other side of the downtown.

I've never been to applachia before until a year or so ago when I did some work on a TVA project outside of Kingston/Johnson City and hoo boy i don't think i've ever seen so many fat people and diabetes billboards and help diabetes signs in every retail and restaurant before. it was kinda eye-openining from being relatively sheltered west coast only mostly been west of the 100th meridian (and new jersey).

johnson city was actually really nice tho, i wouldnt have minded living there. lots of actually good food, but the bbq sucked rear end despite the hype.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Why do meth when you can do krokodil?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Xaris posted:

I've never been to applachia before until a year or so ago when I did some work on a TVA project outside of Kingston/Johnson City and hoo boy i don't think i've ever seen so many fat people and diabetes billboards and help diabetes signs in every retail and restaurant before. it was kinda eye-openining from being relatively sheltered west coast only mostly been west of the 100th meridian (and new jersey).

johnson city was actually really nice tho, i wouldnt have minded living there. lots of actually good food, but the bbq sucked rear end despite the hype.

I mean was the food good because it was a bag of sugar?

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

it could turn into 55 thousand if you play your cards right

I’ve been thinking about moving to NZ since the LOTR movies came out but for sure not gonna happen this year

The day to day experience (of living in NZ) is quite different to LOTR I would say.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Xaris posted:

Johnson City is pretty fantastic. It's a baby asheville/chatanooga.

Kingston is rough.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Xaris posted:

Who the gently caress is hyping Johnson City bbq? Go to Memphis

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

The waitresses were griping because there was barely anything to do with the patio being closed (rain) and the low amount of tables.

(grapes)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Who the gently caress is hyping Johnson City bbq? Go to Memphis

i guess so, i didnt get a chance to travel outside the tricities(?) area.

wanted to go to smokie mountains to see the fireflies but apparently they're all dead lol

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Working at a hospital, the roni units seem to be slowing down but the administration is prepping for the second wave. I'm glad that every single one of my coworkers is taking this very seriously, even if it is strictly enforced by policy

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
favorite time in Appalachia was one summer back in the mid 90s, finding a dusty go-kart track behind a locally owned gas station with every kart self-welded out of scrap, various CCs of lawn mower engines, and absolutely zero governors, helmets or really any concern for safety at all tbh

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh, you win this one

quote:

I've never seen a diabetes amputation at the pelvis. But you'll definitely have conversations about if they need to have a foot or BTK (below the knee) amputation and it all depends on blood flow. Like i've had patients who's lower legs are bright red, hairless, and painful to the touch. They're just not getting bloodflow and there's no reason to keep the leg.

The real arguments are if you cut above or below the knee. Below has the possibility of them learning to walk with a prosthetic. Above? No dice.

I took a patient with bilateral above knee amputations to dialysis for some years. They were I'd guess probably mid thigh (never saw them pre amp), haven't seen higher than that.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGUHuFB_hCY

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

i called a friend in vancouver a few hours ago and he's sitting on the beach with his sister and a few friends. he said the bars are open and people are hugging and their province is getting like four new cases a day. mine's at more than 400 a day.

i hate this

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

cash crab posted:

i called a friend in vancouver a few hours ago and he's sitting on the beach with his sister and a few friends. he said the bars are open and people are hugging and their province is getting like four new cases a day. mine's at more than 400 a day.

i hate this

Guess how you get 400 a day though? Hint it's all the hanging out together and touching each other.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

aaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

A singer i play music with woke up with a black hole in his face, right cheek

Thinks it was a spider bite, planning on seeing a doctor soon.

Saw a pic of it its horrendous

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

cash crab posted:

i hate this

hehe Wisconsin is at 500+ cases daily, the lockdown didn't do poo poo

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/Muzzakh/status/1266152255314526208

USA is loving wild.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

can we hurry up and get to the point where poo poo gets bad enough I no longer have to pay rent

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
you can stop right now if you want

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

can we hurry up and get to the point where poo poo gets bad enough I no longer have to pay rent

the fact this is more likely than student loan payments getting stopped :lmao:

i'm in hell and i can't escape

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SKULL.GIF posted:

some free real estate just opened up in minnesota

a bit of a fixer upper though. stinks of pig on the inside too

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

some free real estate just opened up in minnesota

a bit of a fixer upper though. stinks of pig on the inside too

proactive citizens are cleaning the place right now tho

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Chris James 2 posted:

the fact this is more likely than student loan payments getting stopped :lmao:

i'm in hell and i can't escape

They got stopped through September.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

FacebookEmpathyMom posted:

Federally held ones, anyway

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

FacebookEmpathyMom posted:

* federal

good luck if you have private student loans

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Xaris posted:

i guess so, i didnt get a chance to travel outside the tricities(?) area.

wanted to go to smokie mountains to see the fireflies but apparently they're all dead lol

i spent my childhood by the smokies and man, that's the saddest thing i've fuckin heard, i haven't been there in like..... idk, 15 years. there was a place you could send frozen ones to and get some money (they used them for research or something??), so we always caught & froze them as kids which is fuckin gross now that i think about it

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

Federally held ones, anyway

fosborb posted:

* federal

good luck if you have private student loans

Well drat. I’m sorry and that’s bullshit

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

ClubsNSW tells members some venues can reopen with more than 500 patrons from Monday

:tif:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

fosborb posted:

favorite time in Appalachia was one summer back in the mid 90s, finding a dusty go-kart track behind a locally owned gas station with every kart self-welded out of scrap, various CCs of lawn mower engines, and absolutely zero governors, helmets or really any concern for safety at all tbh

for some reason, this sounds like the stuff of one magical summer :unsmith:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

fosborb posted:

Victory Position posted:

for some reason, this sounds like the stuff of one magical summer :unsmith:

Play "My Summer Car"

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

FizFashizzle posted:

Patient today was being seen for drug refills and a "spider bite."

Spider bite in primary and emergency medicine usually means infected injection site. "Yeah, I got a spider bite there, no idea what happened." This is the reason that antibiotics are worth more than meth right now. So many people are using needles to shoot meth they're getting horrific cellulitis. Clindamycin is worth more than any drug right now.

She hasn't been seen in 3 months when she first presented with the spider bite. She has citalopram on her med list so I'm preparing myself for her to ask me for pills. She's also due for a urine drug screen. This is going to be a nightmare.

I walk in and she's a 60 yo WF in pink scrubs. "You're wearing scrubs too," I mention. "Yeah, I work for a living." She works home health as a CNA.. She's 60 but looks 80. Sounds like she's been smoking 2 packs a day since she was born.

We go through her pills, nothing crazy. Get the refills lined up. Ask her about the spider bite. "Well, I just dressed it, but if you must."

She starts unwrapping the coban from her ankle as she talks about how much she needs us to write her some more "healing cream." She starts talking about the infectious disease doctor she's seeing and how she tried to get home health to come see her because she doesn't want to go to wound care with this covid19 business but they said she can't get home health because she can't drive etc etc

she mentions a brown recluse

The coban is off and there 4x4 on her ankle. I slowly pull it off. There's a yellow thick cream she's applied to the wound. "That's the silvadyne they gave me. costs 75 bucks a bottle."

As I pull the 4x4 away, a chunk of the cream comes with it. About 1 inch by a half inch. This was the part of the cream that was in the wound. It has solidified. It's about a quarter of an inch deep.

I'm looking at her bone. This spider bite has eaten all the way down to her tibia. The flesh around is black. Necrotic.

She doesn't need wound care. She's needs a surgeon. She's needs a total debridement and skin graft.

"It hurts like hell," she says. I take off her shoe. Her toes are swollen, cold, and blue. I can barely feel a pulse. Smoking wrecks your immune response and your blood flow. Wounds don't heal. This brown recluse wound is so bad it's killing her venous return. So throw a vascular consult on it all.

"I ain't going to crossville with all this covid19"

I tell her she's going to lose her foot. Not like in the future or a few months from now but like soon. She just shrugs and tells me whatever. She refuses to quit smoking. We set her up for another consult after telling her home health will not come see her. Maybe she goes.

On the way out she asks for some free samples of breo ellipta. it's an inhaler for COPD.

The drug reps give us a bunch to pass out as samples, but we just give them out to people that can't afford their meds.

was reading this and was like :smugdog: hah she doesn't know what a brown recluse is then :rip: :doggo:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Wondering what Murpts thoughts on the riots are?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1266231100780744704

On the plus side, between this and the roni, there probably won't be a USA left for two term Trrrp

Chunky Salsa
Aug 31, 2016

"Isn't that right, Zach?"

Inceltown posted:

Wondering what Murpts thoughts on the riots are?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1266231100780744704

On the plus side, between this and the roni, there probably won't be a USA left for two term Trrrp

:dogbutton:

Chunky Salsa has issued a correction as of 06:32 on May 29, 2020

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Inceltown posted:

Guess how you get 400 a day though? Hint it's all the hanging out together and touching each other.

the friend i spoke to was also the same guy who told me in january or february that "in a year, everyone will forget this happened"

he is always precisely this cavalier about everything, including roni itself, which he claims "will not affect him if [he] gets it" even though he has asthma and smokes

:rip:

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
Did someone save that post someone made like four days ago saying they couldn’t believe people were expecting riots to happen? Would love to quote and say “this aint age well” TIA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

hope none of these kids get protest roni

proni