Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
nvm

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

lurker2006 posted:

https://hauntedps1.itch.io/demodisc2020
edit:nvm this was posted only a few pages back. It was pretty neat aside from one of the demos being thinly disguised nazi propaganda. Went to the dev's twitter page to confirm my suspicions and they had lightning bolts bookending their pronouns.

Which game is that? I’m involved in the hps1 community and certainly don’t want to associate with Nazis!

Len posted:

I recently got a Retropie up and running, any good psx horror games worth checking out?

Resident Evil, Dino Crisis, and Silent Hill I've played

Hellnight

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Seconding Hellnight for sure.

Juggernaut kinda counts as a horror game? It's way more on the trippy, non-traditional end of things and involves a good number of weird puzzles, but it's absolutely worth it.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
nvm

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 29, 2020

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I liked the first Galerians when I was a kid. I'm not actually sure if it was good.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

lurker2006 posted:

Until Biglight, the one about mice overthrowing a cat oligarchy. The only thing that raised my eyebrows from that arguably Marxist premise was the mention of being 'woke' to mouse heritage. I would have just dropped it there as a hmmm in the void, but when they're cheeky enough to have SS bolts separated by 6 characters.....c'mon. Still don't know if I'd be comfortable sparking a callout based on something that circumstantial though.

I would chalk that up to an unfortunate coincidence not anything deliberate, the HPS1 discord is amazingly drama free. The worst arguments are whether or not to smooth shade your models.

Zushio posted:

I liked the first Galerians when I was a kid. I'm not actually sure if it was good.

It's pretty mediocre. There was a sequel and a 2004 CGI movie which I can't imagine is remotely watchable.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Len posted:

I recently got a Retropie up and running, any good psx horror games worth checking out?

It's in Japanese, but it is absolutely 100% worth using a faq or something and checking out Kowloon's Gate or at least bumbling around a bit to see if you make it to the first dungeon. Here's the first part of a longplay if you just want to see the atmosphere it goes for, I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TXGIWlJcnc

Basically you walk around from screen to screen sort of like Myst but in a cyberpunk dystopian Hong Kong and talk to NPCs/do some light item usage stuff. Then you go into real time 3D first person dungeons where you run around busting demons that are all based on obscure stuff like the magic insects that inhabit differenet parts of the brain in some old Buddhist mythology. It owns.

Another oddball one, is Koudelka. I have a soft spot for it for the relatively unique setting/characters for an RE type game. If you've heard of the Shadow Hearts series, Koudelka is the first part of it but Sacnoth switched publishers and changed up how the next game worked enough (plus Koudelka herself isn't a major character in it) that they went with the different title.

Anyway unlike the Shadow Hearts games, Koudelka is like Resident Evil 1 but but you play as the titular witch in the 1800s but with JRPG-like combat instead of just shooting folks in real time. The combat is extremely slow but I legit like the game overall and it has some real cool poo poo in it at points. Fun to see the cutscenes now too as this was a like a benchmark "how can anything look this good on PSX" kind of game when it first dropped.

Speaking of games that mix up Resident Evil and JRPG, you gotta definitely absolutely check out Parasite Eve 2. The first game is great too though.

Squidtentacle posted:

Seconding Hellnight for sure.

Juggernaut kinda counts as a horror game? It's way more on the trippy, non-traditional end of things and involves a good number of weird puzzles, but it's absolutely worth it.

gently caress yeah.

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

Final Exam. It originally went with the Obscure-name, but that didn't work well with focus groups apparently.

Ironic as I never even knew it existed until this post. In givng it a different name they made it the most Obscure game of the series.

Obscure is solid as hell, I'm glad to see it getting recommended here. It is better than the second game overall but the second game is rad too and also has coop which improves it quite a bit.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

al-azad posted:

I would chalk that up to an unfortunate coincidence not anything deliberate, the HPS1 discord is amazingly drama free. The worst arguments are whether or not to smooth shade your models.

You're probably right, shouldn't have said anything.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 29, 2020

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

Obscure is solid as hell, I'm glad to see it getting recommended here. It is better than the second game overall but the second game is rad too and also has coop which improves it quite a bit.
I actually think the remaster also added coop for the first one, at least a tutorial pop up made me think so.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Thor high heels is a good channel for boscure PS1 videogames.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUbDCMFlbT4

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Anyone looking for a lovely good horror game should always and forever check out Illbleed

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

oldpainless posted:

Anyone looking for a lovely good horror game should always and forever check out Illbleed

oldpainless more like badsuggestionless

Illbleed is insane and cool and insane and ridiculous and insane, though it's worth being forewarned going in that, as I understand it, 1) what is probably the game's most central mechanic is a missable, optional, hidden item in the first area, 2) that there's a clothing damage system that persists over the course of the game if you gently caress up too much, and 3) it is incredibly awkward in control and execution even for a survival horror game of the era.

If you are willing to forgive and work around some of the above awkwardness, Illbleed is a capital E 'Experience' which will leave you increasingly flabbergasted right up until the very end. Watching the supergreatfriend LP was a loving treat a decade ago, and this has reminded me to consider revisiting it.

E:

hellcake

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
You want bad? Countdown Vampires. That game had some interesting ideas but absolutely dreadful execution. It has gained a little following because of how odd/crappy some of the mechanics are.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Oh! Martian Gothic!

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Zushio posted:

Oh! Martian Gothic!

The voice acting is some next level bad. Neat little game with some big rear end flaws.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
drat I'm really surprised people in here aren't posting about the Dread X Collection yet. It's sort of a game jam thing, a collection of "Playable Teasers" ( ;) ) from 10 different devs. So far I've only checked out Summer Night (a "haunted Game and Watch" premise from the creator of Faith) and The Pony Factory (an FPS with heavy Doom 3 vibes from the DUSK dev) but those alone are worth the entry price so far. Really cool little package for seven bucks.

edit: and honestly i just love the idea of a package of "short games" from devs that share a theme. I'd love to see more of this across all genres

goferchan fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 30, 2020

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

Len posted:

Almost everything I thought of was suggested, but Parasite Eve and PE2 are both pretty good. 2 is considerably more accessible than the first, and it's a shame there was never a sequel.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

dregan posted:

Almost everything I thought of was suggested, but Parasite Eve and PE2 are both pretty good. 2 is considerably more accessible than the first, and it's a shame there was never a sequel.

I always loved the combat and weapon system in PE1 and was sad it wasn't back in PE2.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I really enjoyed both games' combat systems. I think they're both fantastic in their own right.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I remember liking PE2 back in the day but Past Blockhouse might have been wrong because after playing it again last year hoo boy that thing is rough

Major complaints off the top of my head: the grind on respawning enemies, the map design just falling the gently caress apart after the desert town, obtuse true ending requirements, incredibly sparse story, burping nurse-level monster designs, characters who appear once seem like they're going to be important and then just disappear for 99% of the game, Kyle sucking hard, Aya's de-aging coming up immediately after a loving shower scene...

It's maybe not that great of a game!

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I finished Get Even yesterday. It's kind of amusing that there's a morality mechanic that at the end punishes you for being gun-happy, but the guy who is judging you is also a HUGE piece of poo poo, so ultimately it's kind of arbitrary. And of course when you play as the bad guy HE doesn't have to worry about getting judged for getting into gunfights.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

goferchan posted:

drat I'm really surprised people in here aren't posting about the Dread X Collection yet. It's sort of a game jam thing, a collection of "Playable Teasers" ( ;) ) from 10 different devs. So far I've only checked out Summer Night (a "haunted Game and Watch" premise from the creator of Faith) and The Pony Factory (an FPS with heavy Doom 3 vibes from the DUSK dev) but those alone are worth the entry price so far. Really cool little package for seven bucks.

edit: and honestly i just love the idea of a package of "short games" from devs that share a theme. I'd love to see more of this across all genres

https://kittyhorrorshow.itch.io/

I highly recommend the "Haunted Cities" collections by Kitty Horrorshow.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

SimonChris posted:

https://kittyhorrorshow.itch.io/

I highly recommend the "Haunted Cities" collections by Kitty Horrorshow.

Cathedral is in Haunted Cities 2, I believe, and its a wildly underrated Kitty Horrowshow game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Now that Song of Horror is complete, what are people's opinions of it? Has anyone tried it? It's currently cheap and while early gameplay videos didn't make it look that great, the idea is pretty interesting.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe
not sure if this has been posted yet, but the system shock re-make alpha demo is up: https://www.gog.com/game/system_shock_demo

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

After playing Observation, I'm really looking for some more sci-fi horror games to play like that. A more grounded in reality thriller; No jump scares sorta like Observation is. I'm really struggling to think of much else that could fit the description. More walking simulation-y and investigation rather than twitchy combat focussed.

I've played Alien: Isolation, SOMA, Prey, SS1-2 but I can't really think of many more that could fill this gap.

Oh Routine, where are you?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Lifeglug posted:

Cancelled.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lifeglug posted:

After playing Observation, I'm really looking for some more sci-fi horror games to play like that. A more grounded in reality thriller; No jump scares sorta like Observation is. I'm really struggling to think of much else that could fit the description. More walking simulation-y and investigation rather than twitchy combat focussed.

I've played Alien: Isolation, SOMA, Prey, SS1-2 but I can't really think of many more that could fill this gap.

Overblood on PS1 lol

al-azad
May 28, 2009

There’s a good, free indie horror game called Stowaway that’s more or less Alien and can be finished in half the runtime. Has a dither heavy pixelated look like Obra Dinn which works well to conceal the simplistic graphics.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

al-azad posted:

There’s a good, free indie horror game called Stowaway that’s more or less Alien and can be finished in half the runtime. Has a dither heavy pixelated look like Obra Dinn which works well to conceal the simplistic graphics.

Nice one, will give it a shot.

https://dirigogames.itch.io/stowaway for anyone else.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Overblood on PS1 lol

Overblood is good and is criminally underrated

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
Late to the party, but I just finished Sinking City and I really enjoyed it once I completely gave up on the atrocious combat/long loading times and set the difficulty to easy. Definitely one of the better Lovecraftian themed games out there.

Lifeglug posted:

How about We Went Back on Steam. It won't blow your doors off but it's free.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Lifeglug posted:

It's a bit different, but 7 Days a Skeptic is set on a spaceship and has some good spooks. The whole Chzo series of games is worth playing, really.

STASIS also fits the bill. Kind of an underappreciated game; the story is not anything special but it's got such a great look.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

It's a bit different, but 7 Days a Skeptic is set on a spaceship and has some good spooks. The whole Chzo series of games is worth playing, really.
Ehhh, maybe. They've got a lot of issues that are very typical to freeware adventure games, which can make them more frustrating than fun. I would recommend just reading an LP of it. Quovak did a really good one of the entire series and Yahtzee even chimed in to respond to and acknowledge some of the criticisms. It's on the LP Archive.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

STASIS also fits the bill. Kind of an underappreciated game; the story is not anything special but it's got such a great look.

I did play Yahtzee's games back in the day and did enjoy them back then, but it's not really what I'm after.

I remember playing Stasis also back when it was released and I'm unsure why but it didn't hit the right notes for me. I can't remember if it was something dumb like the pathfinding was terrible or something like that but it kinda just ruined the mood of it.

Edit: Still do have STASIS, didn't refund it or anything so gonna give it another crack. :)

Piss Witch fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jun 3, 2020

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

STASIS kind of dies on the vine once you get the unskippable cutscene where some VA have to sing a knockoff happy birthday song and just don't even try to sell it

Like it is so excruciating on every level that I have to stop playing

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Basic Chunnel posted:

STASIS kind of dies on the vine once you get the unskippable cutscene where some VA have to sing a knockoff happy birthday song and just don't even try to sell it

Oh my god I'd forgotten this game, I watched OTG (OverTheGun) play it ages ago and as that approached he was like "Oh nooo, guys gird yourselves, this is gonna get bad, I'm telling you, for your own safety" and just ahhhhhh.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Basic Chunnel posted:

I've bailed early on Stasis a few times because of the unskippable dialogue and when I got to that scene (which I think is early on?) I saved my sanity by watching 90-day fiance while letting the game run in the background. I really can't stand any game that doesn't let me click through dialogue outside of cinematics.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
We need a horror game that captures the existential terror of unskippable bad dialogue and games writing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Discendo Vox posted:

We need a horror game that captures the existential terror of unskippable bad dialogue and games writing

The Getaway, PS2. It has a 9 minute unskippable cutscene at the start of a level, and every time you died or failed, it restarted at beginning of the cutscene. Plus the whole thing was a terrible cockney gangster theme with atrocious dialogue. The only thing it had going for was a very realistic map of London to drive around.