Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Don’t even need to ban him just remove the blue checkmark and watch the further meltdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Twitter isn’t dumb enough to remove him and his 4years of documented twitter foot in mouth before the election with more to come.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
Trump drives shitloads of traffic to Twitter. They will do nothing because the all mighty dollar rules everything, period.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

what kind of punishment should we have for people who disobey mask guidelines? i'm thinking complete and permanent disenfranchisement. if you're too dumb to wear a mask you're too dumb to vote.

plus it would guarantee dems win

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
How about let them catch covid and die? Can’t vote if you’re dead.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 28, 2020

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Sono posted:

"My heart and my best intentions still tell me that's true, but the facts and the evidence tell me it is not."

https://youtu.be/6lIqNjC1RKU

420 20
Apr 21, 2020

Lol Twitter

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

420 20 posted:

Lol Twitter

Not really relevant though, what Trump said was still massively wrong, and the Twitter fact check got that correct; that there is no voter fraud. In 2018, Trump formed his own voting fraud commission and they came up completely empty handed in finding voter fraud, they could not find a single instance of voting fraud in the 2016 election.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

I said come in! posted:

Not really relevant though, what Trump said was still massively wrong, and the Twitter fact check got that correct; that there is no voter fraud. In 2018, Trump formed his own voting fraud commission and they came up completely empty handed in finding voter fraud, they could not find a single instance of voting fraud in the 2016 election.

Ah but you see, one statement was a complete falsehood based on nothing and intended to deceive people, the other was true except for a small technicality (which was corrected). So basically they are the same thing.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I can't wait for desperate chuds to do their own voter fraud tho.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I love how Trumpers have been crowing about "facts don't care about your feelings silly libs" then meanwhile their president literally goes and tries to make a law because he got his little pissbaby fee-fees hurt over being called out for one of his countless lies

At least there nothing else going on in the world that deserves presidential attention right now

edit: For those keeping count, another World Trade Center's worth of people died today

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

mds2 posted:

Trump drives shitloads of traffic to Twitter.

Mainly from bots and people posting his tweets on SA.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Shaocaholica posted:

This is always the case. There were only 4 documented cases of voter fraud in 2016 and 3 of them were confirmed to be done by Trumper chuds.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

what kind of punishment should we have for people who disobey mask guidelines? i'm thinking complete and permanent disenfranchisement. if you're too dumb to wear a mask you're too dumb to vote.

plus it would guarantee dems win

Just be banned of public places, can only order online.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Bleusilences posted:

Just be banned of public places, can only order online.

delivery ONLY by USPS

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Trump signed the executive order an hour ago in order to stop Twitter from correcting his lying on their platform. This is an extremely strange hill to want to die on, even for him. Just so we are clear, it was only two tweets and they were not removed / censored. They just contain a link now that explains why they might be incorrect and that readers can decide for themselves. That is what has Trump throwing a tantrum. In the grand scheme of things, Twitter is not doing enough to fact check his account, and they really should just outright ban him from the platform.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

greazeball posted:

delivery ONLY by USPS

Now that might be going to far, we don't want the human rights to get involved.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Trump signed the executive order an hour ago in order to stop Twitter from correcting his lying on their platform. This is an extremely strange hill to want to die on, even for him. Just so we are clear, it was only two tweets and they were not removed / censored. They just contain a link now that explains why they might be incorrect and that readers can decide for themselves. That is what has Trump throwing a tantrum. In the grand scheme of things, Twitter is not doing enough to fact check his account, and they really should just outright ban him from the platform.

I feel like that is something Twitter's lawyers could have a field day with in court.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I feel like that is something Twitter's lawyers could have a field day with in court.

Ooh they are going to destroy this executive order really hard. The whole thing also hinges on the FTC complying with Trumps orders, which they are under no obligation to do. They don't answer to the president and they don't have to because they are independent. They are going to get this order, and laugh about it and wonder what the hell he is talking about before moving onto actual important things.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
We may all be dead from the virus but at least twitter will be mildly inconvenienced.

Owned.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Shaocaholica posted:

We all know they don't even need to for 2020. DNC is going to be hoisted by its own petard again by nominating a sharting rapist to go against the rapist in office.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I hate every single fiber of Trumps existence, and even I will admit he will be in office for a 2nd term. The drooling stroke victim that is his opponent, is not going to win. Trump underestimates how few people are going to turn out this election whether by mail or not.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

I said come in! posted:

I hate every single fiber of Trumps existence, and even I will admit he will be in office for a 2nd term. The drooling stroke victim that is his opponent, is not going to win. Trump underestimates how few people are going to turn out this election whether by mail or not.

Be optimistic. He could always catch the virus and die from drinking bleach.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I said come in! posted:

If you actually cared you wouldn't post poo poo like this, but you care more about yourself and hedging your bets. Whelp Trump lost yaaay! Whelp Trump won but I told you so I TOLD YOU SO! Either way I get to be happy!

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

bob dobbs is dead posted:

we should figure out if peeps who were poastin in this thread have died

I did not die.
(The bum spit in my face)
As of yesterday I tested positively toward the negative and so did my wife.

San Diego is rolling out testing, be careful. I sat up too fast with that loving thing in my nose still and got a bunch of blood out of it after. They say you can breathe normally and it’s like getting water up your nose. In reality you can clench your teeth and go stiff as a board for ten seconds as you get brain surgery.

Stay safe or whatever, don’t go out for sandwiches, don’t go near any city centers.

Jesus loving Christ - don’t pass bad checks in Minneapolis.
I tune out for a week and a guy is murdered by cops.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I have a friend who works retail hell and he's been yelled at for rubbing sanitiser on his hands after handling cash from customers because, "What, are you saying I'm diseased? Dirty?"

Thankfully we're in Australia, so he can just say "Yes."

If anything the customer should want the hand sanitiser too. That retailer has been serving people and handling money all day, they've had indirect contact with thousands of people.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I said come in! posted:

They should really put that disclaimer on every one of his tweet, that's what would really piss him off.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Can someone point me to the GBS coronavirus thread. I seem to have gotten stuck in Trump Tweet Thread #56

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Can someone point me to the GBS coronavirus thread. I seem to have gotten stuck in Trump Tweet Thread #56

Coronavirus is over. Now we're just trying to figure out what strain of the flu it is causing all these extra pneumonia deaths.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

By taking the total confirmed deaths divided by the total confirmed cases.

Roylab stats from youtube because I'm lazy.

102,000~/1,745,000~ deaths/cases = 5.8ish%.

In the US.

so is the US under-testing or not

colorado has consistently said they expect there to be 10 cases for every 1 positive test

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Oh, I couldn't say, I'm not an epidemiologist. I was just pointing out where 5.8% came from.

Probably undertesting, because we can't do poo poo right in this country.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fallom posted:

so is the US under-testing or not

Yep, but also a lot of the tests that they have done are lovely and the results are garbage.

The Worldometers page can be sorted by "tests per capita" if you want to see how the US compares to other countries. They're currently #34 on the list:
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I don't think you need to be an epidemiologist to see the massive amounts of complaints about lack of testing over the last couple of months. the overall number for the country is problematic and nobody should be using it to come up with big fatality numbers, just like they shouldn't be using the recovery number for anything and freaking out over it

Colorado got good though; we're up to like 5,000 a day and the governor is practically begging people to get tested. my wife went to get one a couple days ago and it took like 10 minutes

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Coronavirus is over. Now we're just trying to figure out what strain of the flu it is causing all these extra pneumonia deaths.

MAGA flu

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

I said come in! posted:

Ooh they are going to destroy this executive order really hard. The whole thing also hinges on the FTC complying with Trumps orders, which they are under no obligation to do. They don't answer to the president and they don't have to because they are independent. They are going to get this order, and laugh about it and wonder what the hell he is talking about before moving onto actual important things.

Trump is a Karen. It does not matter that much to Karens whether the whiny screaming achieves anything. They just need to vent the sickly bile that is all that is left of their desiccated souls. I wonder if Trump will follow his administration's formula of only adding regulations if they take two regulations away for every one they add?

In Coronavirus news:

The US COVID taskforce only met once this week and once a week will be the schedule going forward. Got to pretend it went away and we are just staying her to make sure the last cases are cleared up and handle the paperwork.

Both Japan and South Korea are reporting new outbreaks that lead to fear of another wave.

The President of Brazil is still pretending to be Trump saying that the shutdowns to contain the spread are a "terrible disgrace". He is whining about governors and mayors shutting things down. Brazil has pulled into second place behind the US in most reported cases and they have not reached any sort of peak. Today (Thursday) they reported 26,417 new cases and this is the third day in a row with more than 1,000 deaths. Sao Paulo is about to start reopening despite growing cases. Like Trump the President of Brazil is ignoring safety concerns himself in photo ops and in his personal life. Chile and Peru are also seeing spikes in cases.

The WHO reports several virus hotspots in Russia and outbreaks in areas of Africa, Southeast Asia, and a few nations in Europe.

In Spain Madrid is still in their phase 1 of reopening but most of the nation is about to move to phase 2. A few Spanish islands are about to go to phase 3. Reports say they are moving from containment to contact tracing.

Arizona's governor announced that schools will reopen in the fall with social distancing at first. Plans for this are due to come out in a few weeks.

The governor of Georgia believes that the reason for the spike in cases is due to clearing out the backlog of tests. One would think the governor would have access to enough data to not have to guess but presumably Brian Kemp was hired to lead, not to read. He also asked people going to church to follow health guidelines and reminds everyone they only encouraged virtual and drive-in services. Drive in church services????

California is reporting the largest single day increase in cases ever for the state.

My own proud state of Texas has decided to murder us all by reopening outdoor sporting events at 25% capacity. This happens now when we are setting records for single day case and death increases. Everything is bigger in Texas. Hopefully that includes the crematoriums. Dallas, which seemed to get a reprieve in the middle of the week, is back to getting 200+ new cases a day.

In India deaths recently passed 4,500 and over 150,000 have been infected and the number of cases is still rising sharply. They are detecting about 6,000 new cases a day right now. Health care facilities are taxed beyond capacity and there are waiting lists to get into hospitals in many parts of the country.

In Japan suicide rates are rising. Suicide hotlines are overrun with long waiting queues and many are worried that the economic impact and loss of life and hope from the virus will bring them back to the dark days starting in 1998 where for 14 years there were over 30,000 suicides a year. While suicides were down in April this is believed to be due to a decrease at the beginning of a crisis and a big uptick a few months later. It is worried that this will exacerbated by the lockdown ending and many having no jobs to go to.

A review of the US coronavirus business relief funds by Reuters shows that around 110 publicly traded companies got $4m or more in funds. 46 of them paid no corporate taxes last year and 12 of them use offshore havens to cut tax bills and 7 of those paid no US taxes at all. While not illegal it does not pass the smell test. This is only a sampling of the data. The real cost is almost certainly higher. The requirements to get the money require saying you need the money, you will buy American when possible, and promise to pay American employees with it but there is no mention in the application of where the company is paying taxes. Democrats have tried to close loopholes to mitigate tax haven behavior but the Republicans are blocking it. Predictably while some companies have cut executive pay others have just shifted the form or brazenly raised it. Apologists insist that this kind of pay is needed to motivate executive teams through the crisis. Nothing motivates like being able to buy another yacht I suppose.

A member of the German government encouraged Twitter to move to Europe. Most social media giants do not want to go to the EU or Germany in particular due to their anti-hate laws making them liable for the worst users. Trump's account wouldn't last a day.

Hong Kong is in further turmoil as Beijing clamps down on them. Trump has largely been silent in support of protests because he had to make his "big trade deal". He has promised a press conference on Friday about Hong Kong which led to stocks dipping in Asian markets as they await Trump's exciting "Find out what happens next week, same fat time, same demented channel" approach to events. If China continues to clamp down Hong Kong may lose its special status in trading with the US. This seems a dumb move on the part of China who rake in a lot of foreign money due to Hong Kong's status. Trump has mostly shown timidity when dealing with President Xi. Retaliatory measures may be coming from the US. One that seems likely is sending home Chinese students. Protestors have been disappointed by the lack of western support and riot police are out in force trying to prevent further problems. This may also lead to coronavirus issues that were mostly under control.

A California meatpacking union is calling for the shutdown of a plant near LA. 10% of the workforce have caught the disease. The plant points out the measures it has taken but the union is not impressed. 30 meatpacking plants have shut down in the last month in the US. PETA, the nonprofit designed to appeal to lunatics and media whores, decided to confuse the issue by sending their mascot Pandemic Pig to the plant to protest meat eating in general. One hopes both sides can at least agree that they can join hands and safely butcher that pig with his sign about tofu.

In the US Senate a bipartisan bill was offered to prepare for the "next pandemic". I guess they buy this one is over? The bill could be seen as a backhanded insult to the President as it requires his office to build plans and appoint officials in charge of health security. In any case unless the next pandemic comes quickly I think we can count on future legislation to water down and repeal enough of this preparation to make sure we are equally unprepared for the next pandemic.

In Minneapolis protesters have taken over a police precinct building. The city tweeted they got "unconfirmed reports" of the gas lines being cut to the building and asked everyone near the building to retreat for their own safety. Whether this was a cynical ploy to try to drive off the protesters or a genuine report the protesters did not withdraw. National guard units are in the area. The President is screaming about the ineffective "Radical Left Mayor" and tells him to get the job done or Trump will send in troops. Trump also said the "thugs" were dishonoring the memory of George Floyd and Trump will not let them do this. Trump also said "when the looting starts the shooting starts". Those familiar with the law will know Trump has pretty much no authority to do anything without the governor's consent so he is blustering as is his usual idiocy. There is concern the riots could result in an outbreak of infections. There are the usual meaningless calls for investigations in Congress and by the President. Just checked back and the precinct building is now on fire.

We're all going to die. Good night.

Xenocides fucked around with this message at 08:01 on May 29, 2020

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
I would watch "Xenocide Round-up" as my evening news, but you'd have to sign off that way every time.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Xenocides posted:

Arizona's governor announced that schools will reopen in the fall with social distancing at first. Plans for this are due to come out in a few weeks.
I wonder how they imagine they're gonna cram 30 kids into a classroom while also keeping them 6 feet apart.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
/\ Impossible. Schools are an experiment in virus transmission, and keeping kids apart, even with only a class of 10 is impossible. They're kids, and will always either break or forget the rules, and they would have to hire more staff to watch the bathrooms, halls, and enforce it at recess.

My school board in Alberta is floating three possible ideas.

1. If the spike happens, and it's still running rampant in September, they might continue with the online learning.
2. If it's not too bad, they will try social-distancing school by having half of the kids come in for the morning and the other half in the afternoon. *
3. They might try an alternating day school, where there is a "Day #1" and "Day #2" setup, with half the kids showing up on their assigned days.

*The second option (IMO) isn't going to happen since that will mean twice the busing, which is freaking expensive, and teachers will give a hell of a lot of pushback because apparently the half-day schooling also involves online learning for the kids staying at home in the morning or afternoon, which would be a hell of a lot more work as teachers would have to prepare in-person and online work, and would be expected (even though the board would never admit it) to prepare and mark the online stuff after hours, since there are not enough hours in the day to deliver in-class lessons normally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The only real primary school options are “remote learning” and “take the virus on the chin”.

The social distancing measures that committees are brainstorming will have the effect of the latter, just with a little cruelty on top.