Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, that's me. I mean, I've written some fairly complex stuff with it, but I don't enjoy using it.

This sucks because I really want to like it.
I have to say I don't like that aspect of it, but I've been doing quite some coding with it in the last three months or so (3d rendering using wgpu-rs and a node graph editor via imgui-rs) and I've yet to run into a single segmentation fault or weird use-after-free. This genuinely makes it worth it for me, but of course this is not a good trade-off for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
https://twitter.com/rSoftwareGore/status/1265252418385780741

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Mojang is terrible in many ways.

I've had a support request in with them for something like 6 months to deal with an account issue on my daughters account.

Mind you, this isn't a case of them just losing the ticket or something. It's requiring a tiny bit of back and forth, it just takes many weeks from each time I reply to their questions to get an answer back.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Munkeymon posted:

Way, wayyy more likely a query has become pathological* as data changed underneath it, IME.

* it was always badly written lol

or data/statistics/index changes triggered a query recompile, or parameter sniffing, or adaptive memory grants (my current fave!!), or something scaled the db up/down, or azure automagically created/dropped an index, or the azure sql db was updated to a new version, or ...

it's like herding cats, i swear

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
Exactly which language's standards committee isn't filled with people who have too much time on their hands?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Falcorum posted:

As mentioned, "auto blah = bleh" makes a copy so it can be pretty expensive. The most common issue is using it in "for (auto blah : bleh)" which may mean you could be doing a lot of expensive copies at once.

Wait, if someone falls for that trap with auto wouldn't they fall into that trap with the full class name anyway? Like for (VerboseClassName x : some_vector) is still going to be making copies, unlike for (const VerboseClassName& x : somevector).

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

So it turns out they were naively assuming that wherever it was pointed to be installed wouldn't be a shared folder and just deleting the entire folder it was installed to.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

QuarkJets posted:

Wait, if someone falls for that trap with auto wouldn't they fall into that trap with the full class name anyway? Like for (VerboseClassName x : some_vector) is still going to be making copies, unlike for (const VerboseClassName& x : somevector).
You're right, but this is coming from the old for loop where you'd be using iterators, so you wouldn't be expecting copies, eg.
for (std::vector<VerboseClassName>::iterator i = some_vector.begin(); i != some.vector.end(); ++i)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Isn't that true regardless of whether you use auto? Copying an iterator is cheap, so you don't need to use a reference when you're using an iterator in a for loop. Copying an object can be expensive, so you should use references in range-based for loops.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

senrath posted:

So it turns out they were naively assuming that wherever it was pointed to be installed wouldn't be a shared folder and just deleting the entire folder it was installed to.

Cheapening out on uninstallers is a classic mistake, seen to many times before. "Well uninstalling is just deleting all the files. rm -rf * it is." But no, uninstalling is deleting exactly the files that were installed and nothing else.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
I had to look it up, but Nullsoft's install/uninstaller software is still around and open source. So it's not like you cannot take something off the shelve to do your unistall properly on windows for you.

edit: "Completely free for any use. " as well

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Beef posted:

I had to look it up, but Nullsoft's install/uninstaller software is still around and open source. So it's not like you cannot take something off the shelve to do your unistall properly on windows for you.

NSIS is very funny, to me. Love to a import a package to use constructs like 'if' and 'while'.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Is there a good systems language? Can such a thing be possible?

Yes

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

nielsm posted:

Cheapening out on uninstallers is a classic mistake, seen to many times before. "Well uninstalling is just deleting all the files. rm -rf * it is." But no, uninstalling is deleting exactly the files that were installed and nothing else.
The catch is self-updating games aren't known at install time, so they probably figured deleting the whole folder was a simpler "solution" than having the launcher track and revert every file.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

SupSuper posted:

The catch is self-updating games aren't known at install time, so they probably figured deleting the whole folder was a simpler "solution" than having the launcher track and revert every file.

"What idiot installs their games into the same directory, that's just asking for collisions"

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

C, C++, Python

I was supposed to give a different answer?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Don't worry, we know you like being wrong. :v:

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Xarn posted:

Don't worry, we know you like being wrong. :v:

weeeeeeeee! :D

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
:hmmno:

quote:

C++,
:thunk:

quote:

Python
:shepface:

In what way shape or form is Python a systems language?

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Its failures are systemic

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'm sure the Python addiction in the scientific community has forced them to build Python OSes for the supercomputer clusters. Python 2 obviously.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Absurd Alhazred posted:

this can only be possible if there exists the possibility of a good language for any domain of programming - which is clearly and trivially false

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Volmarias posted:

"What idiot installs their games into the same directory, that's just asking for collisions"

I've seen installers that add \softwarename to the end of the user specified path and others that complain if you try installing to a non-empty folder.

I guess the installer for this didn't do either of those.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

redleader posted:

this can only be possible if there exists the possibility of a good language for any domain of programming - which is clearly and trivially false

:smith:

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Ola posted:

I'm sure the Python addiction in the scientific community has forced them to build Python OSes for the supercomputer clusters. Python 2 obviously.

Thanks for the grad school flashback, jerk

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED

Absurd Alhazred posted:

In what way shape or form is Python a systems language?

Python's standard libraries give you access to many low level system APIs, and you can easily interface with legacy (C) code. Many parts of the Linux operating SYSTEM are written with Python, for example.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Ola posted:

I'm sure the Python addiction in the scientific community

the alternatives are matlab and fortran, which one would you prefer

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I heard that some schools still teach Matlab. That's like having a class where you have to memorize log tables and learn how to use a slide rule that has had most of the numbers scratched off.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

fritz posted:

You forget R. I haven't used R, but what I hear from my scientific computing buddies is that forgetting R is a reasonable idea.

Also this made me check and my old physics department still teaches numerical analysis in Matlab.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

R is fine if you know how to use it, but getting to that point involves learning a lot of the intricacies of R (and the R/C++ interface). It wouldn't be my first choice for a general purpose scientific computing language--for that, I'd probably pick Julia these days--but it's the only real game in town for a lot of statistical work.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

fritz posted:

"Extend Python 2 another 10 years, JUST DO IT TRUST ME"

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Tei posted:

C, C++, Python

I was supposed to give a different answer?

Modula 3, allegedly?

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

OddObserver posted:

Modula 3, allegedly?

Holy poo poo, haven't heard that name in decades.

I had some university classes that used modula 3, as far as I could tell it was just pascal with classes.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I've never written a pascal program in my life but I read basically every word of the Inside Macintosh books that I found on CD-ROM at the local used CD/game/movie store/LAN center for $5 while I tried to write actual Mac apps in C that I learned enough pascal to get by, and honestly most of that pascal was just putting together param structs to pass to OS functions (I was going to say kernel, but old macOS wasn't a kernel at all)

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

redleader posted:

:hmmyes:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Ola posted:

My money would be on python 2.4.3

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Pie Colony posted:

Python's standard libraries give you access to many low level system APIs, and you can easily interface with legacy (C) code. Many parts of the Linux operating SYSTEM are written with Python, for example.

This. Stuff like the famous apt-get are written in python.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Tei posted:

This. Stuff like the famous apt-get are written in python.
:confused: https://salsa.debian.org/apt-team/apt/-/blob/master/cmdline/apt-get.cc

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Tei posted:

you can probably write simple apps using the limited javascript you can embed on PDF-Forms

https://www.evermap.com/javascript.asp#Title:%20Extract%20email%20addresses

the limitation is that probably less than 10% would work consistently

This is from a few pages back but I feel uniquely qualified to comment on this and it's been past the statute of limitations.

Once upon a time I took a consulting job for a company that did not want to pay for Adobe LifeCycle. They had a PDF that consisted of forms that would get sent out to ships, filled out, and mailed back. They wanted to extract forms content automatically.

What I wrote was Javascript embedded into the master PDF that could dump its content on demand. However, I remember hitting several bugs in the Acrobat script engine that I had to work around. Iirc they reused a lot of the engine from InDesign, but with new and exciting bugs. The contract was just for the execution, they had already decided to use PDFs and forms and javascript that way.

All in all I could bill them a week at 1200€/day for that poo poo.

I no longer do consulting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Beef posted:

Or even better, there is an installer format that has a manifest of files along with their checksum, so it can cleanly uninstall.

It's really obscure. It's called "MSI", or "Microsoft Installer" as it was called 20 years ago.

Fun fact: MSI is a database and you can query it like SQL.

I wrote that. :shepface: