Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
In Australian schools they're taking different approaches in pretty much every state but the general plan is to slowly reintroduce classes but shut down the entire school if any student gets a positive Roni test, clean the school as thoroughly as possible, quarantine all the students that were in close contact with the infected student and then cautiously reopen after a few days.

They've already had to close down several schools in my state just this last week and they just had to close down another one:
https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/victorian-secondary-school-student-tests-positive-for-coronavirus-20200529-p54xk4.html

Of course this plan just plain wouldn't work in the US where the virus is in no way under control and the testing and contact tracing are lovely for the most part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
The remote learning I've seen my nieces and nephews do has been a complete joke so far. On any given day in a class of 25 participating in a Zoom class, 5 are paying attention, 10 are present but clearly checked out, another 5 are sometimes on screen but not even attempting to participate, and the other five are logged in every day but you never see them on screen.

Although this doesn't sound much different from the in-class learning pre-covid. I found out the other day that half the boys in class get to school, and then are allowed to go play street hockey for a few hours. Apparently easier to teach the ones that show even the mildest interest than force a bunch of maladjusted idiots from disrupting class to the point of needing the police called on a daily basis.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

So basically keep schools closed?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
It's not like we should be surprised at all. When this started they let everyone know 12-18 months is how long this would likely drag on for. We saw people starting to crack a week in..

Like, how do they even expect sports to function at all. You get one single sick person or kid and the entire team is quarantined and games canceled. People going into spaced out church services for an hour is enough to infect the whole lot. Playing a game for hours as you're breathing hard the entire time isn't going to be any easier.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The remote learning I've seen my nieces and nephews do has been a complete joke so far. On any given day in a class of 25 participating in a Zoom class, 5 are paying attention, 10 are present but clearly checked out, another 5 are sometimes on screen but not even attempting to participate, and the other five are logged in every day but you never see them on screen.

Although this doesn't sound much different from the in-class learning pre-covid. I found out the other day that half the boys in class get to school, and then are allowed to go play street hockey for a few hours. Apparently easier to teach the ones that show even the mildest interest than force a bunch of maladjusted idiots from disrupting class to the point of needing the police called on a daily basis.
theres a movement towards open curriculum chosen by students while also maintaining that school is as much a socialization lesson as well as about learned skills

virtual classrooms do neither, i dont know what the actual solution is but perhaps small and maybe even rotating groups of students and loosen the requirements for being a teacher without upsetting all the long timers, make it less institutional but still structured and definitely have checks and oversight and some kind of standardization

i dunno, zoom classes are about as effective as they sound, that is totally not effective at all

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Sounds like half my Skype meetings at work.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Atopian posted:

I would watch "Xenocide Round-up" as my evening news, but you'd have to sign off that way every time.

:agreed:

This is pretty good all round if the person reading it has any sort of attention span at all.

gently caress that’s a good name for it too.

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

Primary schools and kindergartens have been opened for a week now here in the Netherlands. Teachers with health risks can stay at home, as can teachers with family members at risk. Schools split classes with half the children on alternate days, so as to contain 'risk bubbles'.

I guess we will get valuable information over the coming weeks about the real effect on school children.

Here in the North-Eastern provinces the epidemic has virtually disappeared. No new cases for a week, no measurable extra deaths (in facts, number of deaths is now a bit below average).

Lotti Fuehrscheim fucked around with this message at 10:47 on May 29, 2020

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Blistex posted:

So basically keep schools closed?

I honestly have no idea how the US could possibly address the current situation without causing even further harm. They can't open the schools but they can't keep 'em closed either. They can't keep students isolated but they can't not isolate them. It's not feasible for the teachers to run all the classes online but it's also not feasible for them to teach the kids in person.

Much like the rest of their pandemic response they're going to be stuck with a lovely half-and-half response that no one likes and everyone hates and which doesn't work anyway, and they'll just have to keep up this lovely pretense of enabling a lovely plan and then close things down anyway when people get sick and start dying.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Just carefully scrutinizing young children in the class of a relative over the internet to determine and rank their attention level, all perfectly normal.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Xenocides posted:

We're all going to die. Good night.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s-idUSKBN2351N2

This is going to keep bouncing around the globe for a long, long time.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

27k respiratory failure deaths... the poor bastards had no chance.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Just carefully scrutinizing young children in the class of a relative over the internet to determine and rank their attention level, all perfectly normal.

are simple observations beyond your comprehension or

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

What? Lmao what do you think a teacher's job is?

edit: i can't read but I'm still not as dumb as that guy!

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

what's that saying about doth protest too much

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I have a feeling we're headed for a second sharp spike in Finland. We've had zero new cases in my area for a few days now, and it looks like either people think COVID-19 is history, or they just got tired of making an effort anymore.

I had to pop in to a local shopping mall today, and there were hundreds of people there. The only face mask I saw was on my face. Bunches of people sitting next to each other on benches, standing in huddles, queuing up at touching distance, crowding the aisles in the shops.

My university emailed all staff today that we can start coming back to work again (but can still keep working from home for now if we want), and that restrictions would be relaxed or taken down starting next week.

And, of course, then the news: the first new confirmed COVID-19 infection in a few days. So the disease is very much still going around, and because people don't give a gently caress anymore, it's probably already infected a bunch more people and is starting a new rally.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
I can't believe that SA isn't advertising to all the socially maladjusted shut-ins that are being created right now. Membership would skyrocket.

In other news, I'm expected to go back to the office on Monday. We only have like 8 people in our whole company so it won't really be that hard to socially distance since we're all mostly in different rooms anyway, but still, I'm not exactly thrilled about the shared bathroom aspect of it and since I live and work in one of the bigger hotspots in my state.

Jay_Zombie fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 29, 2020

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

While the rioting in the US is great, it’s definitely going to lead to an explosion in infections.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Luckily there are already mass graves for pigs outside the closed meat plants.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Day Man posted:

While the rioting in the US is great, it’s definitely going to lead to an explosion in infections.

Very serious when I say that this sucks but is an acceptable consequence.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Hopper posted:

Luckily there are already mass graves for pigs outside the closed meat plants.

My daughter has this farm playset and anytime you put the pig toy on it's spot, the farmer says, "come here, piggy, I'll clean you up"

I want to sample it and blast it at cops forever.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

So, I worked for DFB for a while. The emails we got were insane. People would lose their minds at you if you mis-typed a character's name or got anything slightly wrong. As someone who is a big disney fan? The psycho disney fans are all about strutting and showing off that THEY did the THING and YOU DIDN'T.

The entire point of them being there, risking their lives for whatever plastic flotsam bullshit they're going to get, putting others in danger by potentially spreading this god awful disease? Is to show that They were There and They're Super Cool because of that.

It's a status thing.

It only makes sense in the deepest bowels of distwitter, disboards, and distagram.

Of everything I miss, buffets are one of them. But not golden corral.

DFB youtube just started showing up on my feed after I got obsessed with roller coaster/theme park content. This particular video made me think of this thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0HiNYc-OK4

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Jay_Zombie posted:

I can't believe that SA isn't ...

really?

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Really?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Day Man posted:

At least everyone at these kinds of protests wears a mask.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Update: Trump's tweet about "when the looting starts, the shooting starts" regarding the riots was hit on Twitter for violating the rules about glorifying violence. You have to click "see anyway" to bypass the warning and see the tweet. Prepare for the Presidential meltdown when he realizes his toothless executive order intimidated no one.

Then Trump decided to evade his probation like a bitch and reposted the tweet from the White House Twitter account daring Twitter to do it again.

Twitter did it again and it was slapped with the same warning.

In coronavirus news New Zealand is reportedly down to one active coronavirus case proving that it is possible to contain if you actually, you know, try to do so.

All still going to die but we can die with a little smile. :unsmith:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
My parents tell me that my old gym reopened in Pennsylvania, against governor's orders. The owner gets a citation every day but stays open. The place is apparently packed (judging by the parking lot), and old folks make up a huge percentage of the clientele. What's the worst that can happen?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Okay, these stories about a gang of monkeys stealing covid samples amidst fears this will spread the disease are getting to me. really getting to me. this is reality?

edit: oh just blood samples of infected patients. that's probably ok right? its not a zombie virus.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

The Walrus posted:

Okay, these stories about a gang of monkeys stealing covid samples amidst fears this will spread the disease are getting to me. really gtting to me. this is reality?

sits in a tree eating Covid samples throwing poop at u

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Xenocides posted:

Update: Trump's tweet about "when the looting starts, the shooting starts" regarding the riots was hit on Twitter for violating the rules about glorifying violence. You have to click "see anyway" to bypass the warning and see the tweet. Prepare for the Presidential meltdown when he realizes his toothless executive order intimidated no one.

Then Trump decided to evade his probation like a bitch and reposted the tweet from the White House Twitter account daring Twitter to do it again.

In coronavirus news New Zealand is reportedly down to one active coronavirus case proving that it is possible to contain if you actually, you know, try to do so.

lmfao this rules. I hope the fat bitch keeps getting owned until he ragequits twitter and starts PatrioTwitter, for REAL HONEST AMERICANS.

Thanks for continuing the updates Xeno

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

sits in a tree eating Covid samples throwing poop at u

Dear god, covid monkey poop missiles are my worst nightmare come to life :ohdear:

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Xenocides posted:

He has since this happened tweeted, in all caps, "CHINA" with nothing else. He's on a good one.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Dear god, covid monkey poop missiles are my worst nightmare come to life :ohdear:

We Are All Gonna Die: Covid Monkey Poop Missiles

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Zugzwang posted:

My parents tell me that my old gym reopened in Pennsylvania, against governor's orders. The owner gets a citation every day but stays open. The place is apparently packed (judging by the parking lot), and old folks make up a huge percentage of the clientele. What's the worst that can happen?

They help the greater good by becoming data points.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Shaocaholica posted:

They help the greater good by becoming data points.

:emptyquote:

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Zugzwang posted:

Camp there in a grim reaper costume and just sit there facing the door/windows if there is any space for you to do so.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

He has since this happened tweeted, in all caps, "CHINA" with nothing else. He's on a good one.
Someone better fact-check this Tweet

Bleusilences posted:

Camp there in a grim reaper costume and just sit there facing the door/windows if there is any space for you to do so.
Sadly I'm on the other side of the country. Not a bad idea though!

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Xenocides posted:

I'm hoping they already have measures in place to help mitigate potential future infections, but it's frustrating to think that countries like New Zealand who get infection down low enough will always need to be very vigilant for basically anyone coming to or back to their country from now on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Oops! Wrong thread. . . Covid's bad.