Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

PinheadSlim posted:

Exactly, thank you! The poses are admittedly a bit more dynamic, but I feel like I have less overall control of what it ends up looking like.

It was nice for line troops to have a bit more pose flexibility even if the monopose is more dynamic for characters/etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
It's the same with a lot of their newer kits, better baseline poses and easier to assemble, but less control over individual models. I'll never defend the old marines though, they look fine right up until you put them next to a primaris and then you immediately notice how bad their proportions are. And sure you could pose them any way you wanted, except the bolter arms really could only go one way on most of them and the legs were all the same.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

Yes, that and Land Raiders as well.

I just wish Land Raiders were good, or at least not terrible and you could fit Primaris in them. They're such a classic of 40k design it seems a shame to let them gradually just fade out of the game.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
They won't redo old campaign settings with new Primaris because they're creating new lore and stories in the current time line.

Fall of Cadia, Vigilus, Armageddon's new hell, on and on.

I'm glad in a way, because it moves the storyline on and doesn't reset over and over.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeast posted:

I'm glad in a way, because it moves the storyline on and doesn't reset over and over.

Same, I was kinda miffed at GW rolling back the timeline to just before the 13th Black Crusade when they did have that major event a few years earlier that actually detailed what happened. And released lore books related to it. Or at least a lore book.

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

O vanity of Sleep, Hope, Dream, endless Desire,
The Horses of Disaster plunge in the heavy clay

Cooked Auto posted:

Same, I was kinda miffed at GW rolling back the timeline to just before the 13th Black Crusade when they did have that major event a few years earlier that actually detailed what happened. And released lore books related to it. Or at least a lore book.

2003 was a different time

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Tommu posted:

2003 was a different time

Indeed.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Yeast posted:

They won't redo old campaign settings with new Primaris because they're creating new lore and stories in the current time line.

Fall of Cadia, Vigilus, Armageddon's new hell, on and on.

They can also do historical primaris campaigns, the end of the Indomitus crusade was about 111.M42. Badab was 901-912.M41 while the game was set at 999.M41, so we've actually got just as much post-primaris space to explore as GW/FW was exploring before.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/05/28/skulls-for-the-skull-throne-4/
https://store.steampowered.com/sale/skulls/

Skull for the skull throne! Steam is having a Warhammer sale so this is your chance to put all that Quarantine free time into use beyond clearing your backlog. Not to mention a bunch of extra stuff to a lot of the games.

Finally decided to buy Warhammer: Total War 2 and Blood Bowl 2. Didn't play the prequels but just happy to have a modern 40k game

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Bought the Blood Bowl game, thanks goon!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Finally decided to buy Warhammer: Total War 2 and Blood Bowl 2. Didn't play the prequels but just happy to have a modern 40k game

A tip when it comes to Total Warhammer 2, You really want to get the first game as well for the full roster of playable factions if you don't already have it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The previous total warhammer is essentially dlc for totally warhammer 2, and then 2 will become dlc for 3 when that comes out

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

You know that thing where it takes you 25 years to settle on a color scheme?

I think I may have finally found something I like. It's just the OG colors inked over a zenithal brown-bone prime coat.

Hopefully I can figure out basing before I'm 60.

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

Been working on several things, very slowly as always, but I was very excited to sit down and paint a favorite smol Chaplain. I just love chaplains so much and I took some risks with my painting style and tried new techniques and I'm really happy with how he turned out:

ffoecaf
Sep 17, 2005

Get Off My Lawn

moths posted:

You know that thing where it takes you 25 years to settle on a color scheme?

I think I may have finally found something I like. It's just the OG colors inked over a zenithal brown-bone prime coat.

Hopefully I can figure out basing before I'm 60.

This is fantastic

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Just in case anyone here hasn't seen this Nice Marines one-page thing.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

old-style marines being phased out only bothers me in the sense that I really like Scouts, I don't really give a poo poo about tacticals besides some of the weirder stuff like the old armor patterns

moths
Aug 25, 2004

ffoecaf posted:

This is fantastic

Thanks man, I'm stupidly excited to put this all over decades of stockpiled metal nids.

ffoecaf
Sep 17, 2005

Get Off My Lawn
That is going to look amazing and creepy in all the best ways

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
To keep the Badab gripe train going, here is the WIP of my Fire Angels Primaris Captain. Im thinking he is a veteran of the Badab war who fought during the Sagan campaign as well as witnessed the atrocities carried out by the Carcharadons. He then crossed the Rubicon Primaris in order to take command of the newest Primaris recruits.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Is that sword arm from the Captain kit?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Nope, its from the old metal Emperor's Champion Black Templar.

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

I hate working with resin

It never sticks together until the glue is completely dry, and I always don't wait long enough before touching because I have the patience of a goldfish

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Strelok604 posted:

I hate working with resin

It never sticks together until the glue is completely dry, and I always don't wait long enough before touching because I have the patience of a goldfish

I always think I hate working with resin until I have to work with metal again.

One of the best things to ever happen is the switch to plastic for all sets not just the troops choices and vehicles.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Where are my Plastic Kasrkin. :arghfist::(

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

If resin is so poo poo why do they make models out of it?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

notaspy posted:

It was a replacement for metal, which was used because it was so much more detailed than plastic at the time.

They switched from metal to resin primarily due to the rising cost of producing metal models, but also ostensibly because it was better quality than metal and easier to work with.

The early switch from metal to resin didn't go that great and caused a while bunch of miscasts and shoddy products, and sort of tainted resin models ever since.

The reality is though plastic being detailed enough to produce even your highly detailed special characters is a relatively new development, so essentially there aren't any new resin or metal models being made, because they are transitioning. They can't just switch overnight because presumably its not as simple as just "pour in plastic instead of resin".

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Kitchner posted:

It was a replacement for metal, which was used because it was so much more detailed than plastic at the time.

They switched from metal to resin primarily due to the rising cost of producing metal models, but also ostensibly because it was better quality than metal and easier to work with.

The early switch from metal to resin didn't go that great and caused a while bunch of miscasts and shoddy products, and sort of tainted resin models ever since.

The reality is though plastic being detailed enough to produce even your highly detailed special characters is a relatively new development, so essentially there aren't any new resin or metal models being made, because they are transitioning. They can't just switch overnight because presumably its not as simple as just "pour in plastic instead of resin".

Makes sense, if it takes 3 years to go from design to boxed product and is a process that involves a large capex I can see why they are still using it.

Ty man

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

As has been discussed before in this thread, making molds for plastic models is a massive and expensive undertaking and as I recall they also work very different from the metal molds as well. A lot of the early resin stuff was made right in the old metal molds (most likely to save production costs), which is why the results could vary so much. These days anything resin made gets their own molds.
Although for all I know they might've also improved their resin composition.

When I think about I don't think I've heard or seen any complaints about GW's recent resin releases. The Severine Rayne model I bought when it came out last year (oh god I still haven't painted her) is in resin and looks just fine.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
No worries, presumably the switch from all the metal models.going to resin was such a nightmare for them even if someone had a proposal to replace all the resin models with plastic versions they'd decide not to risk it. I remember when the resin models first came out and my local store had to check and replace so many mis-casts. The manager told me apparently it gets better with time due to the machines and the moulds but it was such a pain.

If you get a good cast and you don't mind dealing with warping, the detail on resin models can be really good, it's just everything is harder to work with than plastic, and between resin and metal I'll pick resin every time

moths
Aug 25, 2004

When GW switched, the claim wasn't entirely that metal was more expensive. They said that metal prices fluctuated and made budgeting more complicated.

I don't know if that's true or something to justify increasing the price on finecast sculpts.

It certainly sounded plausible at the time.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I'm not sure if they ever actually redid the old metal molds for some models or not or they simply improved the casting process or the resin itself. Feels like complaints about what used to be finecast models have disappeared for most part.

moths posted:

When GW switched, the claim wasn't entirely that metal was more expensive. They said that metal prices fluctuated and made budgeting more complicated.

I don't know if that's true or something to justify increasing the price on finecast sculpts.

It certainly sounded plausible at the time.

Considering this was during the Kirby era of GW you obviously should pay premium for such jewel likes of wonder.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

notaspy posted:

Resin is fine GW just does it really badly

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
is the Nurgle Daemon Prince model out of print? Can't find it anywhere on the GW site

edit: oh, it's still there (though currently out of stock), it's just not listed in any categories :pwn:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

The tagging on the GW website is absolutely appalling, they really need to sit someone down for a week and get them to go through it all because whatever is happening right now is not good

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

if Nurgle gets a plastic demon prince model why don't the other 3 gods? Yes I am mad over the generic DP model being so awful

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Corrode posted:

The tagging on the GW website is absolutely appalling, they really need to sit someone down for a week and get them to go through it all because whatever is happening right now is not good

They must've broken the website in general recently because the vast majority of the time when I try to load it in either chrome or FF it just comes up as empty and all I see is the top and bottom bars.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Just in case y'all aren't keeping up with the Hams for Hunger thread:

Safety Factor posted:

A few weeks ago, I was contacted by Hedningen who had an idea on how to help promote this thread and encourage some more donations. He doesn't paint much, but he does sculpt and he volunteered to make a special plague doctor model exclusive to this thread/event. I have really appreciated all the effort he's put into this and, with the model complete and casting starting up, we are ready to make the announcement:

To keep it simple, anyone that makes a donation of at least $20 will qualify for a copy of this model. Limit one per person, please. PM or e-mail me your name/address and I will collect and send them on to Hedningen. Again, the e-mail is Hams4Hunger at gmail.com. He will handle the casting and shipping and is in the US Midwest somewhere. UK/Euro participants, don't worry, I've figured something out for y'all. I've got a friend in the UK that is willing to act as a go-between and forward your models to you.

Hedningen has already been working on getting a small stockpile going so let's get some donations in!

A couple more pictures:
https://i.imgur.com/LImzPuX.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/tGfZYqV.jpg
A $20 donation gets you a free model! Please donate to a charity of your choice, preferably a local food bank, homeless shelter, or something assisting with the ongoing COVID-19 crisis.

A little update on the thread:
Things have gone much faster than I expected.  I have already hit my original $5000 limit, but in an effort to keep things going longer I have pledged another $2,000.  Goonhammer has also sponsored $500 and there are still almost $2000 in unfinished challenges.  Combine that all with existing donations and we are looking at over $10,000 in charitable contributions by the end of this.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Cooked Auto posted:

They must've broken the website in general recently because the vast majority of the time when I try to load it in either chrome or FF it just comes up as empty and all I see is the top and bottom bars.

I was able to fix this by clearing the browser cookies for their site and reloading it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

I was able to fix this by clearing the browser cookies for their site and reloading it.

Ah, I've been trying Ctrl+F5 to no avail but good to know.