Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Hryme posted:

drat. I thought Cavalry Master would include Dragon Princes. I am a fool. Now I have to restart my Imrik Campaign because I will never use any of those units in his army. Ah well.

Nooo just getting the infinite respec mod!! Also I’m loving my Imrik game. Early game is such a challenge. I got hosed with the Star Dragon bring my first spawn. I don’t know when I’ll be able to take him on. Any tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I've decided that i'm not gonna give grimgor lightning strike. Doesn't seem right that he'd want to krump less gitz

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
That worked. Thank you. I thought games had to be started with mods.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.

Gamerofthegame posted:

how the actual gently caress does arkhan even get the ball rolling here? the gimme bret expansion had two (half) stacks of yeoman spam by the time I walked up to them on turn seven and wiped me in battle. so many horses.
Fill up on spearmen and as many archers as you can support then make a square box of outward facing spearmen and put the archers/whatever else inside. Something like 4 units of spearmen facing front, 4 facing backwards and a couple units facing left and right so there’s enough space to fit everything else. They’ll keep charging into the spearmen until you win, expect to do this a lot because they raise new armies ridiculously fast.

It was quite a slog to take their actual city since spearmen stacks aren’t great against anything but dumb cavalry AI so by the time I had cleared a path to their city they were also weak enough for Bretonnia to swoop in and confederate them :sigh: Felt like I had to declare war just because it had taken so long to wear them down, cue endless stacks of marauding Grail units and an unkillable rear end in a top hat. Made me long for yeomen chaff

8 Ball fucked around with this message at 11:29 on May 29, 2020

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

dogstile posted:

I've decided that i'm not gonna give grimgor lightning strike. Doesn't seem right that he'd want to krump less gitz

i went full yellow line on my grimgor, then had a little cry when clan eshin rolled into town with like eight loving stacks.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

canada jezus posted:

i went full yellow line on my grimgor, then had a little cry when clan eshin rolled into town with like eight loving stacks.

Iz gonna take ALL DAY to krump all dem gitz

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Zzulu posted:

Skaven is easily one of the best and most well developed factions in this game at this point. They have a lot of tools, cool spells and fun gimmicks like the workshop and stuff.

the Skaven have so many viable playstyles across the different LLs. The only one I haven't tried is Tretch, but everyone else has a really fun niche that makes for a different campaign experience. Ikit is definitely the most fun, though. He can use nukes, for christ's sake

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

canada jezus posted:

I've got boring goblin lords for that. The reduced upkeep on lords with shroom addiction means you can have a couple of really cheap waagh stacks ready for when the time comes.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Nuclear War posted:

Iz gonna take ALL DAY to krump all dem gitz

last battle was grimgor standing in the middle a tide of rat bodies and just murdering then one at a time. Anyone know how i can get him regeneration?

dogstile posted:

I've got boring goblin lords for that. The reduced upkeep on lords with shroom addiction means you can have a couple of really cheap waagh stacks ready for when the time comes.

I'll try this some more, i think i've been too aggressive once i got a few armies back up and get chain ambushed for days.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

TheHoosier posted:

the Skaven have so many viable playstyles across the different LLs. The only one I haven't tried is Tretch, but everyone else has a really fun niche that makes for a different campaign experience. Ikit is definitely the most fun, though. He can use nukes, for christ's sake

I've never played Ikit or really seen him. I went into a skin of my teeth type battle against him as empire. I was containing the doomwheels and other rollers ok and managing the snipers. Then half my battle line explodes and stormvermin pour into the space. It was a loving nightmare that was only rescued by my general, captain and two units of reiksgard doing a valiant morale breaker charge on Ikit to buy some time to reform as the rats ran and rallied. It was like the wall at helms deep blowing up.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.

canada jezus posted:

last battle was grimgor standing in the middle a tide of rat bodies and just murdering then one at a time. Anyone know how i can get him regeneration?
Take out Isabella Von Carstein

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

TheHoosier posted:

Yeah Ikit is the best. He can buff a lot of the good troops so they're even better and of course, like you mentioned

THE NUKE

Get the AI to bunch up and then delete 4 of their stacks in nuclear warpfire

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Gamerofthegame posted:

how the actual gently caress does arkhan even get the ball rolling here? the gimme bret expansion had two (half) stacks of yeoman spam by the time I walked up to them on turn seven and wiped me in battle. so many horses.

I asked this last weekend, didn't get an answer but I had a good time spending 5000 gold on the casket of souls ritual as soon as I could and recruiting that very early. Gets 300-400 kills in a battle and breaks half of their units as they're marching in usually. Used that to kill the brettonians to the north and gently caress up the dwarves enough to get them to pay me for a peace treaty.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

8 Ball posted:

Thanks friend, i'm sending him up north as soon as i'm not drowning in dwarves and rats.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

canada jezus posted:

Have him kill the current wielder of the sword of khaine :getin:. I accidentally did this with one of my goblins and now I have a goblin sitting on top of a spider with the sword of khaine going hogwild on elves

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

8 Ball posted:

Best part of new AI faction rebalancing is you can actually get her trait quite often now even if you don't start within a couple turns distance of Vlad!

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Zzulu posted:

Yeah Ikit is the best. He can buff a lot of the good troops so they're even better and of course, like you mentioned

THE NUKE

Get the AI to bunch up and then delete 4 of their stacks in nuclear warpfire

CA's trailer game has been on-point for awhile. Ikit's insane laugh as he launches a nuke in the Prophet & Warlock trailer is burned into my brain.

It's also the laugh I give when I launch said nuke

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Man Vlad does not gently caress around does he. My turn, I catch his army raiding my settlement and wipe it out. Pass the turn, and on his turn he's got a new fullstack to assault me with. I guess Vlad can replace immediately after dying, and also you can move and attack the same turn you come back? Geez, give it a rest old man.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

I have not seen Grimgor not take no.1 since the change.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Onmi posted:

I have not seen Grimgor not take no.1 since the change.

I've started three games and dwarfs/rats have smashed Grimgor every time.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
weirdly it seems to be 1:1 whether or not I'm an order or chaos faction and I'm not even getting involved in it

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Vargs posted:

It's impossible to watch the Prophet and the Warlock trailer and not want to play as Ikit Claw imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi2eHPKjW9k

I wish Ikit was nearly as fun as he seemed from the trailer

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I wish they didn't tease destructible forests and then didn't add it.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I wish Ikit was nearly as fun as he seemed from the trailer

Speak for yourself. I fukkin love playing Ikit.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Gamerofthegame posted:

weirdly it seems to be 1:1 whether or not I'm an order or chaos faction and I'm not even getting involved in it

I feel like some factions order or not organically pull pressure off the dwarfs.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Truecon420 posted:

Nooo just getting the infinite respec mod!! Also I’m loving my Imrik game. Early game is such a challenge. I got hosed with the Star Dragon bring my first spawn. I don’t know when I’ll be able to take him on. Any tips?

I waited for the second round and was able to get the black dragon around T35. I bee lined to taking out Snitich on T8, which would have helped, but the province grows so slowly and Imrik is such a high upkeep army that it still took a while to get rolling. T50 or so I have got Karaz-A-Karak but Barak Varr of all people have come though the southern pass to break up my control of the Wolf Lands and my second stack of all sea guard isn't cutting it to take the province back. Imrik is up to 5 dragons total (self, Mikalea, the starting, plus the special black and moon), and that is quite fun.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

JBP posted:

I feel like some factions order or not organically pull pressure off the dwarfs.

The Dwarfs so far have continually gotten wiped out by Grimgor in every game I’ve tried in the old world.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ethiser posted:

The Dwarfs so far have continually gotten wiped out by Grimgor in every game I’ve tried in the old world.

Actually now that you mention it I actively intervened during my empire campaign and dwarfs ended up number 1 bigly down the line, but they would have been hosed had I not sent out Karl to smash orcs and rats for levels after I smashed the von Carsteins (which also made Ungrim's life a breeze).

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Floppychop posted:

Speak for yourself. I fukkin love playing Ikit.

Everyone except me loves playing Ikit and Coast, because I'm broken

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Everyone except me loves playing Ikit and Coast, because I'm broken

I find vampire pirates boring to play because it's the most boring combo of shambling undead and ranged units. I love playing vampire counts though.

Empire is always my favourite though. The sounds of an Empire army with the guns, rockets and manly shouting is awesome.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

JBP posted:

I find vampire pirates boring to play because it's the most boring combo of shambling undead and ranged units. I love playing vampire counts though.

Empire is always my favourite though. The sounds of an Empire army with the guns, rockets and manly shouting is awesome.

I love gunline factions like Dwarfs, Ikit, Empire.. I also couldn't get into the Vampire Coast factions. I played Dreadfleet for awhile and just got bored

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

TheHoosier posted:

I love gunline factions like Dwarfs, Ikit, Empire.. I also couldn't get into the Vampire Coast factions. I played Dreadfleet for awhile and just got bored

I feel like I need some stakes. I don't really care what the vampirates are about.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Ooohh. Anyone played Empire yet with the new patch? More Skaven, Greentide, should have more fires to put out.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Randarkman posted:

Ooohh. Anyone played Empire yet with the new patch? More Skaven, Greentide, should have more fires to put out.

I just did an empire campaign with the new stuff in. It was epic. Shoring up order factions is very important early to mid. I had to fight the vermintide in a big way but it was allowing the dwarfs to flourish. They were down to Karaz a Karak when I took down Sylvania and double times them some assistance.

The dark elves wiped out all the high elves while chaos was attacking and I had to go take them to artillery school.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
My Ungrim game got pretty hilarious because The Empire prospered, I scooped up all the Dwarf factions and Tyrion got absolutely annihilated by the combined forces of Malekith and Morathi, but when the End Times started Karl Franz was already off conquering in Naggaroth, so my ally to help me storm the beaches of Ulthuan once Archaon was defeated? The Border Princes. The Dark Elf late game stacks are actually not totally horrific and kind of balance out infantry, ranged and monsters but they're still extremely strong.

They can't stand up to Ungrim personally though, he's leading a tide of Troll and Giant Slayers who are too angry to die. Wherever the Slayer King walks, Ulthuan is liberated for the purposes of mining.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Ulthuan is liberated for the purposes of mining.
An ultimately tragic and therefore extremely dorf thing to do

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

putting this down until SFO comes out. I went 5 turns in a row fighting diminishing battles holding karaz a karak vs greenskins. Very peculiar stuff from the AI. The new greenskin units are rated very highly by the autoresolve so I'm manually fighting battles against orcs that can't beat me but will if I autoresolve. Its loving tedious and I'm taking a break. I have two half stacks and a full karaz a karak garrison but they are still coming 1 or one and half stacks at a time. Its ridiculous.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1266368862062120961?s=19

https://twitter.com/Lord_Mandalore/status/1266369752059965443?s=19

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Pretty sure Black Orcs could take shields in TT. I think they had a special rule called something like Armed to Da Teef that let them fight with Great Weapons, Dual Choppas, or Choppa and Shield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I did not know, but learned in my most recent campaign, that handmaidens can get a lesser version of incendiary that basically turns them into a very good melee lord (before adding any other melee skills) they then become a blender when leveled up

Hilarious