Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polster14
Feb 9, 2020
ATH-M50x is the best and most popular pair of headphones In the market for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

A MIRACLE posted:

ordered more modular cables. erica sent me 20 but about half are like these really short ones you cant super use

here's a page 420 one bar loop jam. and first patch with the techno system:

https://soundcloud.com/natively/99-bars

sample is from a lonnie liston smith record

Nice. How do you like the TOMS module?

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
The Sub-25 has finally shown up for online sale from the local store. I'm tempted since I was already looking at a Sub Phatty when they announced this. On the other hand the Matriarch is on sale, but that's an order of magnitude more expensive and part of me wants the Sub-25 as a "Dial in simple leads or bass tones and save as presets" machine for the Moog sound.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

EBB posted:

Nice. How do you like the TOMS module?

Still need more time with it but I’m sure it’s more than adequate for my purposes :). I have the triangle out on the bassline routed to the tune in on the low tom on this track, you can hear it changed pitch every bar here on the first upbeat

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

A MIRACLE posted:

ordered more modular cables. erica sent me 20 but about half are like these really short ones you cant super use

here's a page 420 one bar loop jam. and first patch with the techno system:

https://soundcloud.com/natively/99-bars

sample is from a lonnie liston smith record

This is chill as heck and a solid vibe for my afternoon

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://youtu.be/gMAyGBnVktE

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

m50x sounds great but I'm going to stick with my plan to get DT880s first and a/b with earbuds etc

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Been noodling with this for a few weeks, not done yet. Not much recording lately because I've been trying to spend time getting better at things like mixing. My goal this summer is to get maybe one or two tracks I'm really happy with instead of jumping around so much between concepts.

https://soundcloud.com/user-44349750/07-07-jam-test

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

What are you guys using for a workstation? I need to get a new desk/table for our PC, which will double as a synth station. I'm at that analysis paralysis part of finding something.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

bimart folding table and a small, like 1/2 height, restaurant shelf/rack for the rack gear and modular and second monitor.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

a mysterious cloak posted:

What are you guys using for a workstation? I need to get a new desk/table for our PC, which will double as a synth station. I'm at that analysis paralysis part of finding something.

I found an old drafting table for free on craigslist. The legs were hosed so I just stacked a bunch of big bins underneath to prop it up.
My computers sits atop my grandma's old desk that I retrieved from my Dad's house when he died.
Once I have enough equipment, I'm going to populate my grandma's old china cabinet with desktop synths instead of sticking them on a shelf.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

To be that lucky child that one day inherits grandad's robot fart cabinet

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Recycled an IKEA bed

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

field balm posted:

To be that lucky child that one day inherits grandad's robot fart cabinet

https://i.imgur.com/Ra15uVJ.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/pufFqIQ.mp4

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I asked this in the home recording thread but hoping to find someone w/ some patchbay pro-tips that can help me out so I'm cross-posting:

I recently picked up a Zoom R16 and knew I was going to have to figure out a solve for cable routing on my desk and get some rack units in place. A goon friend helped me build a nice rack shelf over the weekend to make room for some of my components and I picked up a patch bay to start figuring out my routing.

Now that I have this patch bay though I'm realizing there are lots of different ways to set this thing up and I don't know what the best practices I should be aware of are for configuring this.

If anyone has some patchbay tips for the devices I have I'd really appreciate it.

I've started a spreadsheet w/ all of my device's I/O's listed for beginning to see how they could plug into things:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FRUJJ_0WhZWfb0UTB4h4W9Gh6wy--lhrGoGiIRbio-Q/edit#gid=1294353808

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

a mysterious cloak posted:

This desk and this table also. Supplemented with an Adam Hall laptop stand.

I'm pretty happy with the desk, it's very solid. The pegs are obviously good for cables and I have my Bag O' Patch Cables hanging from one. You can customize it a little - the wings the speakers sit on can go on the inside, and they as well as the monitor shelf are height adjustable.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

MMD3 posted:

I asked this in the home recording thread but hoping to find someone w/ some patchbay pro-tips that can help me out so I'm cross-posting:

I recently picked up a Zoom R16 and knew I was going to have to figure out a solve for cable routing on my desk and get some rack units in place. A goon friend helped me build a nice rack shelf over the weekend to make room for some of my components and I picked up a patch bay to start figuring out my routing.

Now that I have this patch bay though I'm realizing there are lots of different ways to set this thing up and I don't know what the best practices I should be aware of are for configuring this.

If anyone has some patchbay tips for the devices I have I'd really appreciate it.

I've started a spreadsheet w/ all of my device's I/O's listed for beginning to see how they could plug into things:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FRUJJ_0WhZWfb0UTB4h4W9Gh6wy--lhrGoGiIRbio-Q/edit#gid=1294353808

Nice

How do you like the R16? I always buy hardware recorders then end up just using a stereo feed into my pc and sell the recorder lol.

For the patch bay, use half normalled for you 8 channels into the zoom. Set up your permanent connections (stufff that’s always plugged in and doesn’t move) in the back. Get an 8 channel snake it will make it look nice. E: looks like you already have a snake :)

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Quarantine is forcing me deeper into synth hell as I'm now building going to attempt to slap an Arduino into a module. Does anybody have any eurorack CV shield recommendations? The plan is to make a ribbon controller a la http://synthhacker.blogspot.com/2016/04/diy-ribbon-controller-cv.html

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Thanks for the desk ideas, still hunting but with a better idea of what I do and don't want.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

A MIRACLE posted:

Nice

How do you like the R16? I always buy hardware recorders then end up just using a stereo feed into my pc and sell the recorder lol.

For the patch bay, use half normalled for you 8 channels into the zoom. Set up your permanent connections (stufff that’s always plugged in and doesn’t move) in the back. Get an 8 channel snake it will make it look nice. E: looks like you already have a snake :)

I don't have my DAW set up yet, need to rebuild my pc, but so far in the two weeks i've had it the R16 has been pretty great... hoping it gives me the flexibility to just do hardware recording or plug it in and use it as an input device in Ableton or something when I'm ready to go that route. Yeah, I got a snake and the patch bay pretty much as soon as I realized I needed an easier way to cable-wrangle all of the R16 inputs.

That's exactly the advice I was hoping for, to use half-normalled for the Zoom. Would the idea with that be that I can then plug anything I want into it for recording without cutting off the signal of whatever is plugged into it? I was thinking the Minibrute and drumbrute deserve dedicated patches into the Zoom as they'll primarily be what i'm recording and then leaving some spots for plugging in breakout drum voices (drumbrute allows for output of all 14 voices individually as needed) so I can run them through effects... so maybe 1-8 on the patch bay are Zoom for inputs and then the reverb and multi-effects rack units I have could be like 9 & 10 so I can the minibrute or drumbrute over to them as needed?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

For what it's worth mine's a good PC desk, I added the synths later, and I'm not so sure I'd buy it again if I was specifically hunting for a combined PC/synth desk. I'm sure it would be fun as a pure synth desk too but something about my particular setup (hardware synths, external sequencers, using Live pretty much just for recording and post processing) makes it feel like the two use scenarios are getting in each other's way a little bit.

but then I imagine moving that monitor shelf up and having some rack stuff that would in this way be built more or less directly into the desk and that's pretty sweet especially if you heavily use a DAW for sequencing.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

magiccarpet posted:

Quarantine is forcing me deeper into synth hell as I'm now building going to attempt to slap an Arduino into a module. Does anybody have any eurorack CV shield recommendations? The plan is to make a ribbon controller a la http://synthhacker.blogspot.com/2016/04/diy-ribbon-controller-cv.html

Can't recommend a shield but check out befaco's MIDI thing schematic:

https://befaco.org/docs/MIDI_Thing/Midi_Thing%20_V1_Schematic.pdf

This is a design featured in a bunch of modules out there: MCU -> DAC -> Buffers -> CV Out

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

MMD3 posted:

I don't have my DAW set up yet, need to rebuild my pc, but so far in the two weeks i've had it the R16 has been pretty great... hoping it gives me the flexibility to just do hardware recording or plug it in and use it as an input device in Ableton or something when I'm ready to go that route. Yeah, I got a snake and the patch bay pretty much as soon as I realized I needed an easier way to cable-wrangle all of the R16 inputs.

That's exactly the advice I was hoping for, to use half-normalled for the Zoom. Would the idea with that be that I can then plug anything I want into it for recording without cutting off the signal of whatever is plugged into it? I was thinking the Minibrute and drumbrute deserve dedicated patches into the Zoom as they'll primarily be what i'm recording and then leaving some spots for plugging in breakout drum voices (drumbrute allows for output of all 14 voices individually as needed) so I can run them through effects... so maybe 1-8 on the patch bay are Zoom for inputs and then the reverb and multi-effects rack units I have could be like 9 & 10 so I can the minibrute or drumbrute over to them as needed?

half normalled lines to mixer is really just a good flexible setup for a home studio. it gives you a monitoring line on the top row which you can then route to whatever you want, on the bottom row or otherwise. so for example here's my QY 100 going to the one of stereo lines on the MG10xu mixer I have. I have a permanent line in for guitar on channel one with a long cable coming out the back. so the orange line captures my guitar feed (which then continues to channel 1), routes through the QY's amp modeller and to the stereo out, which goes to my channels 7/8 (stereo line)

edit: yeah, I would set up your permanent channels in the back, for example drums on channels 1+2, monosynth channel 3, stereo sytnhs on 5/6 etc. Then your effects can be on a permanent return channel like 9 and 10. then you monitor the instrument into the bottom row on the back (wherever you have the inputs connected) to your FX. Then channel 9 is your wet, and channel 1 or whatever is your dry. so instead of a normal aux wet / dry you just mix the 1 channel louder or softer than the 9 channel

probably better ways but thats how I would do it

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 27, 2020

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

you -probably- don't want to use an aurdino to generate audio. control signal interfacing is pretty straightforward, you just need use opamps to scale the voltage signals out from the aurdino up to 0-10v and scale the voltages coming in down to 5 or 3.3. there's a clamp circuit I like for keeping input voltages safe for microproccessors, I'll link to it later

Sinecure
Sep 10, 2011

magiccarpet posted:

Instead of a DAC, another option may be the idea from this quantizer that I'm planning to borrow for some other designs. It uses just a dual op-amp and some passives to filter the Arduino's PWM directly:

If you don't need extremely precise CV (as you would for a quantizer) you can skip the trimpot and matched resistors. You could also change the gains if you need a different output range. The filters probably need some tweaking for the PWM frequency/resolution you're using while retaining an adequate response time, this specific design is for running some crazy high 7-bit frequency or something.

I have yet to test my own implementation, but in theory it's a 16-bit DAC that uses maybe 50 cents worth of components. According to the original author performance is on par with a DAC8565 which is a $10 chip.

E:

The Voice of Labor posted:

you -probably- don't want to use an aurdino to generate audio. control signal interfacing is pretty straightforward, you just need use opamps to scale the voltage signals out from the aurdino up to 0-10v and scale the voltages coming in down to 5 or 3.3. there's a clamp circuit I like for keeping input voltages safe for microproccessors, I'll link to it later

Something I've seen in a lot of schematics and that I'm quite partial to myself is to pass incoming CV through a rail-to-rail, single supply op-amp that is powered at the same voltage as your MCU. In this non-inverting setup you don't even need a negative reference, nor will your CV get its direction switched:

Sinecure fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 27, 2020

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I don't have anything to add other than this is my favorite patch bay of all time and it seems insane that I could only ever find the Samson one. It seems so obvious that the normalling switches should be accessible, but I've seen them in the back, on top, inside as DIP switches, all that.

I understand that there are times and places for hardwired TT patchbays, but for the effort it's hard to beat that 48-point Sampson 1/4-inch.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

rickiep00h posted:

I don't have anything to add other than this is my favorite patch bay of all time and it seems insane that I could only ever find the Samson one. It seems so obvious that the normalling switches should be accessible, but I've seen them in the back, on top, inside as DIP switches, all that.

I understand that there are times and places for hardwired TT patchbays, but for the effort it's hard to beat that 48-point Sampson 1/4-inch.

it's nice, it's balanced, and also my buddy gave it to me for free! score

i think my buddy brought it over from the UK

now if only I could get him to give me A Guy Called Gerold's old TB-303 which is in a sorry state of disrepair

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 28, 2020

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
I found a good local deal on a Mother 32 and DFAM combo so I need a controller with lots of cv. What are good options besides Arturia controllers? Is there anything comparable to a beatstep pro in price/features?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCT829W_k9s

Oh my God this thing sounds HUGE.

gahhhh I've never been less than 3 minutes into a video and wanted something so badly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFUtCGIn-ik

AverySpecialfriend posted:

I found a good local deal on a Mother 32 and DFAM combo so I need a controller with lots of cv. What are good options besides Arturia controllers? Is there anything comparable to a beatstep pro in price/features?

I think you're gonna have a hard time beating a Beatstep Pro. Maybe a Keystep Pro but that's more expensive and probably not what you want for your dfam?

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 29, 2020

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I'm far from a good synthesist and very happy with my existing setup, but every Pro 3 video I've seen is mind-blowing. I'd love to buy something from Sequential at some point, if skill and finances permit, just because they make so much cool poo poo.

The Sonicstate video is cool too, but I'd love to see the god Katsunori Ujiie get his hands on one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9UxnbGszaY

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Have some quick jams: https://jocko-homomorphism.bandcamp.com/album/pocket-songster

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Sinecure posted:

Instead of a DAC, another option may be the idea from this quantizer that I'm planning to borrow for some other designs. It uses just a dual op-amp and some passives to filter the Arduino's PWM directly:

If you don't need extremely precise CV (as you would for a quantizer) you can skip the trimpot and matched resistors. You could also change the gains if you need a different output range. The filters probably need some tweaking for the PWM frequency/resolution you're using while retaining an adequate response time, this specific design is for running some crazy high 7-bit frequency or something.

I have yet to test my own implementation, but in theory it's a 16-bit DAC that uses maybe 50 cents worth of components. According to the original author performance is on par with a DAC8565 which is a $10 chip.

E:

Something I've seen in a lot of schematics and that I'm quite partial to myself is to pass incoming CV through a rail-to-rail, single supply op-amp that is powered at the same voltage as your MCU. In this non-inverting setup you don't even need a negative reference, nor will your CV get its direction switched:

This is all quite helpful thank you.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
I decided to try using Make Noise Mimeophon for mangling some beats. Reeeal happy that I gave it a shot. It's probably my favorite patch this far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAiSH4UjnS4

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Oh my God this thing sounds HUGE.

I preordered the Pro 3 right after it was demo’ed at NAMM. After a few calls from my Sweetwater rep apologizing for delays with no estimated ship date, it showed up completely unannounced a couple of weeks into the Pandemic.

It’s an absolutely amazing instrument and I will definitely have no need for another monosynth in my collection anytime soon. Highly recommended if you’re in the market for something which meets the sound profile it offers.

This is the second Sequential/DSI instrument I’ve purchased (also have a Tempest) and the design / build quality is really top notch.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

j.peeba posted:

I decided to try using Make Noise Mimeophon for mangling some beats. Reeeal happy that I gave it a shot. It's probably my favorite patch this far.

Well that was fun.
Nice Model 12. I was looking at one to replace my Focusrite Scarlett 4i4, but also to use as a standalone mixer/recorder and occasionally with Ableton as a controller.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

j.peeba posted:

As a middle aged white man, I feel this is dope as poo poo.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

j.peeba posted:

loved this!

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
Cool, thanks! :tipshat:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Well that was fun.
Nice Model 12. I was looking at one to replace my Focusrite Scarlett 4i4, but also to use as a standalone mixer/recorder and occasionally with Ableton as a controller.

I’ve had the Model 12 only for a couple of days now and it seems very nice! I haven’t even plugged it in to the computer yet but I do intend to. One routing option that I would’ve liked to see in the mixer (although I don’t know if this violates some principal law of mixers) is that I could route the master into the sub mix so I could use the sub mix outputs & volume slider for my monitors. Now I need to probably get a passive xlr volume attenuator or something so I don’t have to use master volume slider for getting a comfortable listening level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

j.peeba posted:

Cool, thanks! :tipshat:

I’ve had the Model 12 only for a couple of days now and it seems very nice! I haven’t even plugged it in to the computer yet but I do intend to. One routing option that I would’ve liked to see in the mixer (although I don’t know if this violates some principal law of mixers) is that I could route the master into the sub mix so I could use the sub mix outputs & volume slider for my monitors. Now I need to probably get a passive xlr volume attenuator or something so I don’t have to use master volume slider for getting a comfortable listening level.

I'm confused, is the sub not just a mirrored main output? so you can't have like... a booth and master out? What does the "Main" button do on the sub out?