Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Grand Fromage posted:

I also remember this and don't remember the details. Probably because nobody cared.

they are worse than the Russians who didn't need much help and also aren't that bad considering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

This is true for all food products. There's not really any nationalism about where things are made, everybody in China knows Chinese goods are lower quality and buys imports if they can afford it.

this doesnt feel like it should be compatible with irrationally exuberant nationalism. the human brain is an amazing thing

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Blistex posted:

I can pretty much guarantee that, "Maybe their judiciary is in fact not under the influence of the Liberal party" was not one of them.

It's like they missed the whole incident months before where the Prime Minister's Office trying to interfere with a legal case resulted in a massive scandal that almost brought down the government and ultimately didn't work because the PMO has no power to change prosecution and could only heavily suggest the Justice Minister offer an alternative deal.

Like can you imagine the shitstorm if the scandal was over Trudeau attempting to interfere in the Meng case instead of over SNC?

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
"U.K. Plans Citizenship for Hong Kong Residents in Row With China"

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-28/u-k-plans-citizenship-for-hong-kong-residents-in-row-with-china

Threatens too is more accurate, but still :allears:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The junk collector posted:

"U.K. Plans Citizenship for Hong Kong Residents in Row With China"

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-28/u-k-plans-citizenship-for-hong-kong-residents-in-row-with-china

Threatens too is more accurate, but still :allears:

:eyepop:
the british empire is back!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Rutibex posted:

:eyepop:
the british empire is back!

"Why Good sir. . . we were never gone!"

\/\/ "Ello Gov'nor"

Blistex fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 29, 2020

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

ALLO CHUMS

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

<person #1> "So Trump mentioned China today on Twitter."
<person #2> "Yeah, what did he have to say about China?"
<person #1> "Uhhhhh. . . China"
<person #2> "Huh?"

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Haven't seen this posted here yet. Apparently the US government is planning to expel several thousand Chinese university students for having ties to the PLA. Official announcement coming soon, expect critical levels of butthurt.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-china-students-idUSKBN2342AX

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Blistex posted:

<person #1> "So Trump mentioned China today on Twitter."
<person #2> "Yeah, what did he have to say about China?"
<person #1> "Uhhhhh. . . China"
<person #2> "Huh?"

Has Twitter fact checked that one yet?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Devils Affricate posted:

Haven't seen this posted here yet. Apparently the US government is planning to expel several thousand Chinese university students for having ties to the PLA. Official announcement coming soon, expect critical levels of butthurt.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-china-students-idUSKBN2342AX

<China replies in turn, expels all 37 US nationals currently attending Chinese universities>

Pham Nuwen posted:

Has Twitter fact checked that one yet?

Apparently Trump is correct in this case! Broken clock and all that.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Blistex posted:

<China replies in turn, expels all 37 US nationals currently attending Chinese universities>

Lol is there even one? Like full time student, not someone doing an exchange program or something

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Devils Affricate posted:

Lol is there even one? Like full time student, not someone doing an exchange program or something

There have to be a few people working on their Chinese history/language/writing degrees in universities there.

Had a friend of a coworker in China who was a PHD guest professor in economics at a university in Beijing. He wrote a massive paper as part of his job there (Chinese universities love getting foreigners to publish papers for them) and he was told that his Dept head would get a co-writing credit (despite doing nothing, but that's sort of standard procedure all over the world) for his paper. When it was published his name was nowhere to be found. He had to actually go into the PDF copy of the final version and do a search for his name. I guess the way they got around it was the entire paper was a citation (which the Dept. head published), and he credited the citation to him on page three of the cited sources.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Devils Affricate posted:

My American ex did part of her master's in Chinese history at Beida, through San Francisco State University. There were about 20 American students in that program. But that was five years ago now.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BrassRoots posted:

No why? Am I doing it right?

They're actually threatening to ban a whole bunch of Imports including beef and stuff. This wont stop Aus products getting in to China, it just creates middle man countries. Speaking with Chinese guy I studied with, he said it was a big deal to get Aus beef because no one over a certain income level trusted the Chinese beef.

Moving on Barley sounds like escalation to drop the ccp virus investigation.

ughh. The article right after has some ex oz foreign minsters that are still stuck on the whole "Engagement" idea. Have they ever looked at China ever? look at this, what is she smoking? :lol:

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/politics/article/3084058/avoid-blame-game-china-coronavirus-probe-say-australian-former

quote:

“I would be talking to other countries and I would then be engaging China at the official level to talk about how we can actually do something for the global good,” she said. “I am sure that China agrees there must be an exercise in lessons learned.”

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
just a former minister. think of it as the PRC's pathetic attempt to equalize the press generated by the former foreign minister from the UK calling them out

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Anyone have a good (reputably sourced) timeline of China's actions from the beginning of the pandemic to now? Something specifically outlining when they locked down internal flights vs international? I've heard lots of stories of them having a good month difference, apparently indicating that they didn't want it to spread internally, but didn't care if it spread externally. A lot of sources reporting this are newspapers I am not familiar with and they could be chud papers spreading yellow journalism.

Edit: To clarify

Blistex fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 29, 2020

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Devils Affricate posted:

It’s me. I am the American grad student studying classical Chinese literature full time at a Chinese university. And my visa is up for renewal right now. rip.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

It’s me. I am the American grad student studying classical Chinese literature full time at a Chinese university. And my visa is up for renewal right now. rip.

I got the big 4 books recently. Any recs for other lit? Good luck :(

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Horatius Bonar posted:

My American ex did part of her master's in Chinese history at Beida, through San Francisco State University. There were about 20 American students in that program. But that was five years ago now.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Interesting, I was kind of assuming their matriculation wouldn't even support foreign names, or people not connected with the hukou system. I wonder how many people from surrounding Asian countries like Vietnam and Thailand attend their universities.

@Heithinn Grasida maybe you can move to Taiwan to finish up your degree? :v:

Blistex posted:

There have to be a few people working on their Chinese history/language/writing degrees in universities there.

Had a friend of a coworker in China who was a PHD guest professor in economics at a university in Beijing. He wrote a massive paper as part of his job there (Chinese universities love getting foreigners to publish papers for them) and he was told that his Dept head would get a co-writing credit (despite doing nothing, but that's sort of standard procedure all over the world) for his paper. When it was published his name was nowhere to be found. He had to actually go into the PDF copy of the final version and do a search for his name. I guess the way they got around it was the entire paper was a citation (which the Dept. head published), and he credited the citation to him on page three of the cited sources.

Lmao I think I remember you posting about that a while back. Absolutely nuts.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Blistex posted:

Anyone have a good (reputably sourced) timeline of China's actions from the beginning of the pandemic to now? Something specifically outlining when they locked down internal flights vs international? I've heard lots of stories of them having a good month difference, apparently indicating that they didn't want it to spread internally, but didn't care if it spread externally. A lot of sources reporting this are newspapers I am not familiar with and they could be chud papers spreading yellow journalism.

Edit: To clarify

This is a good timeline: https://time.graphics/line/360578

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
CHINA!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

get trump on a live interview with angry wumao incel from the RDR video

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

get trump on a live interview with angry wumao incel from the RDR video
but caps lock is banned?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

TAIWAN NUMBER ONE

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Shumagorath posted:

but caps lock is banned?

from which country I forget

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Alan Smithee posted:

from which country I forget

georgia bolivia and slovenia

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I heard it was Ghana, Botswana, and Surinam.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

McGavin posted:

I heard it was Ghana, Botswana, and Surinam.

Also Djibouti & Dubai.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

quote:

Winemaker
Job ID: 1354756673
Date Updated:May 20

Reminder: It is illegal for employers to offer or receive any money from candidates. Please be vigilant againstany monetary offers!
Employer: Awaguli Bar [Verified company]

Company type : Private Industry type : Restaurant & Food Services
Work City : Beijing Job Category : Entertainment/ Hospitality
Salary Range : 8,000 - 50,000 CNY /Month No. Hiring : 1
Work Experience : ≥3 year(s) Job Type : Full Time

Job Description
About Employer

6 applications
Responsibilities of winemaker:

1. Responsible for the formulation and modification of the brewing process of foreign wine (handmade beer, whisky, brandy, vodka), and the formulation of the matching process for the company's raw material characteristics.

2. To Familiarize with national and industrial laws and regulations of food safety standards to ensure that the company's rules and regulations, processing technology meet the National requirements.

3. They are Responsible for the whole brewing process technology and management.

4. To Supervise the operation of physical and chemical analysis and index adjustment to ensure product quality.

5. To Be responsible for the training and technical training of brewing related talents and operators.

6.To Participate in the development of wine making and its associates.

Qualifications:

1. College degree or above, major in brewing, fermentation, brewing engineering, food engineering, microorganism, etc.

2. At least 3 years’ experience in foreign wine brewing, master the cutting-edge technology in related professional fields.

3. With qualification certificate of winemaker and wine taster is preferred with SMWS;

4. With high professionalism, good at analyzing and solving problems, strong learning ability, strong sense of teamwork.

5. Participate in the actual operation, and be diligent in practicing and carry out tasked duties.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

VideoTapir posted:

Employer: Awaguli Bar [Verified company]

quote:

User reviews of Awaguli Bar & Grill 啊瓦古丽
Overpriced subpar food. Dirty, Cheesy atmosphere. Avoid this place.
Reviewed by chinaproducer on Wed, 11/27/2019 - 14:30

Review of Awaguli Bar & Grill
1 star
A confusing, low-quality mix of really bad western and middle-eastern food. Burgers are undercooked and are more like wet cardboard. The loud inconsistent atmosphere with old dirty mops at the entrance, vinyl print backdrops, old holiday decorations, and tattered beads makes one wonder how this place is even in business. Took some friends from out of town as I wanted to impress. Was originally going to go to Qmex, but this place was a major disappointment. I should have trusted my instinct. The worst part is this place is apparently a hangout for Nigerian drug dealers and most are drinking and eating food they bring from shops outside. I heard one of the bartenders even took a drink off the table without permission and added something to it. Definitely avoid this place. I'm taking my friends to more legit places in Sanlitun next time.

Edit:

quote:

Do ignore some of the English translation on the menu – we’re pretty sure the chicken isn't “impregnated with bacteria.”

:vomarine:

McGavin fucked around with this message at 10:18 on May 31, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Blistex posted:

:eyepop: That would be something for sure.

Huawei is basically a commercial arm of the PLA considering that's essentially where it started from.

I bought a Huawei P20 Pro on steep discount slightly before the whole "spying on you for the PLA" thing came out, and while I can't say whether some PLA guy is laughing at my photos or not, I wouldn't recommend buying a Huawei phone in general.

The specs are great and the camera is genuinely the best I've used on a phone, but their version of Android seems to be extremely unreliable. My alarms don't frequently go off, my Bluetooth headphones have all kinds of weird issues and all the Huawei software it tries to cram down your throat are awful copies of Google's originals.

That's my Huawei story, thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

the PLA wants you to lose your job and break up silly

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
The UI on huawei's new stuff is baffling. I keep looking for the bottom three buttons but they ain't loving there, and I can't figure what's taken over their functions.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i got an open box matebook pro x for $1000 on ebay a few years ago and it's pretty sweet

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

m-m-m-matebook!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

VideoTapir posted:

The UI on huawei's new stuff is baffling. I keep looking for the bottom three buttons but they ain't loving there, and I can't figure what's taken over their functions.

Months and months ago (like Sept or October) I was walking past a Rogers store in a mall and walked in since I was in the market for a new phone. I didn't see anything that caught my attention, but made a point to fondle the display (working) Huawei flagship phone at the time. While I was a fan of the size, shape, feel of it (guy behind the counter said the hardware was top notch), the UI was what stuck out most to me. It was like someone used Android for a week, then a year later they were asked to recreate it from memory. It looked like they went out of their way to make as many pointless changes as possible.

I have long since given up on ever finding that review video again where someone from (CNET I think it was) analyzed the traffic and processes running in a Huawei phone (back in 2015-16 or so) and even after a factory reset, intentionally uninstalling and disabling features and apps, and even using 3rd party software to block, and eventually rooting and installing a custom (clean) android version, he couldn't get the thing to stop spewing data China's way.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I wonder if the teahouse scam is still going strong. I read an article recently about a guy who was a victim of it once in Beijing, and it caused him to turn down a stranger’s offer to be taken out for tea in Syria years later. It took a while for him to realize that many Syrians were just genuinely hospitable and welcoming, and drink a poo poo ton of tea. Not that all Syrians good and mainlanders bad, it’s just a cultural tendency.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018