Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
It doesn't matter for right now but one of the other issues with FP was taking people out of queues and letting them roam the park. The parks were designed with a certain amount of people being in the ride queues as part of the capacity.

After the virus is gone virtual queues will cause an even worse crowding problem in the parks without a permanent reduced capacity, which seems unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

If I could virtually queue for my entire park visit, I would actually leave the parks and go down to disney springs and visit the resorts. Instead of standing there staring at the back of Nick's head as he screams at the clock at Small World.

*not snooting, I also coo over the cute little clock at small world.

E: what I'm saying is, I'd go spend more money. Standing in lines means less money spent, disney. give me full virtual queue days.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

My sister was really excited to take her husband's family to Disney for the first time this summer, they've been planning it for literally years and they were originally gonna go in early June (after school gets out, because it's the only time they could get everyone together) and they kept pushing it back slowly until they finally decided to just pull the trigger and move it all back to December. They seriously considered end of July but it wasn't gonna be worth it to go with those stringent restrictions. My sister and mom love planning so they've been taking pleasure in making sure their reservations fit in our points allotment and getting all of the restaurants so they just get to do it all again in October, but it still sounds like a nightmare. They're going over NYE because that's when they could get the time together, it might be less crowded than a usual NYE but I feel like everything is going to move very slowly.

My mom had a trip planned for herself and my sister in September but that's almost certainly gone, and me and my mom are still thinking about February 2021, hopefully it will be approaching normal by then.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I don't see a good answer for the queues at WDW. Say there's 25,000 people at MK that day (which is low), everyone is using a virtual queue. Where do those people go? The queues eat up people. 7D and BTM can eat up a couple thousand guests each in line. Same for the other rides that go 60+ minute waits. You can't just have 25K people milling around waiting to go ride something.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Zero One posted:

It doesn't matter for right now but one of the other issues with FP was taking people out of queues and letting them roam the park. The parks were designed with a certain amount of people being in the ride queues as part of the capacity.

After the virus is gone virtual queues will cause an even worse crowding problem in the parks without a permanent reduced capacity, which seems unlikely.

Yeah you have to have a certain number of people standing in tightly wound lines. You'd literally run into Fire Code violations if you let all those people roam free while waiting.

I was at DCA last year over the 4th of July holiday when there was an earthquake. Every ride and queue got dumped. It was staggeringly packed.

Edit: I can see maybe the virtual queues being used to tell you when its your turn to go line up and wait for an hour in a distanced queue. So you cant get 2 hours worth of line, but you could have an hour line all spread out.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

DC Murderverse posted:

My sister was really excited to take her husband's family to Disney for the first time this summer, they've been planning it for literally years and they were originally gonna go in early June (after school gets out, because it's the only time they could get everyone together) and they kept pushing it back slowly until they finally decided to just pull the trigger and move it all back to December. They seriously considered end of July but it wasn't gonna be worth it to go with those stringent restrictions. My sister and mom love planning so they've been taking pleasure in making sure their reservations fit in our points allotment and getting all of the restaurants so they just get to do it all again in October, but it still sounds like a nightmare. They're going over NYE because that's when they could get the time together, it might be less crowded than a usual NYE but I feel like everything is going to move very slowly.

My mom had a trip planned for herself and my sister in September but that's almost certainly gone, and me and my mom are still thinking about February 2021, hopefully it will be approaching normal by then.

It depends on the vaccine trials, friend. Keep your fingers crossed. Things look awesome from everything Oxford has said last I read.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I imagine it will be virtual queues mixed with real queues that have social distancing markers. Your virtual queue time is open, you can go get in line. Problem is this will inevitably always have a wave of guests at time slots. I don't envy the folks who have to develop this new system.
Any word on what Universal is planning?

Also, I was thinking back to comments in this thread from folks familiar with the ticketing and reservation system backend and that it was total garbage and dated but transitioning to a new system would be incredibly hard due to bookings being so far out and almost anything to replace it would need to immediately go into production alongside the older system making things overly complicated for CMs. I hope that they took this time and this mass cancelation to shift to a better one.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The system was miserable for dining, tours and ticketing with the latter being the worst. It was about one step removed from just being a excel sheet connected to a access database

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Getting through to Delta is a bit of a nightmare at the moment, the phone queue is so long that they're just disconnecting you and the website is unable to make automated changes due to overuse.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Empress Brosephine posted:

The system was miserable for dining, tours and ticketing with the latter being the worst. It was about one step removed from just being a excel sheet connected to a access database

Sincerely hope they took this opportunity to get rid of old poo poo like this then.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

its a safe bet that with no money coming in they aren't spending big on IT projects

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Knowing how these things usually go, they probably have a place in newer booking system (I.e. Fastpass+ backend) that can fit in other bookings that has gone unused for years because no one wants to be the person that pulls the trigger on that switch.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
FP/ADR is dead, long live FP/ADR

Amen for it. I’m hoping for a DLR type system to finally happen. Excited for my end of July trip.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I finally got through to Delta... On Facebook, lol

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man
Universal opened up the registration for the passholder reopening days, the thing is slammed (moving at a snails pace) and filling up extremely quickly.

They also announced 6 out of 8 of the Universal Hotels Open up on June 2nd.

AND

The Disney and SeaWorld reopening plans just got approved.

Atricks fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 29, 2020

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
it’s gonna be a shitshow till there’s a vaccine, don’t go back till there’s a vaccine

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Dren posted:

it’s gonna be a shitshow till there’s a vaccine, don’t go back till there’s a vaccine

:yeah:

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

alg posted:

its a safe bet that with no money coming in they aren't spending big on IT projects

Spending has ground to a halt.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

tomapot posted:

Spending has ground to a halt.

I hope you are doing okay dude!

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

kensei posted:

I hope you are doing okay dude!

Yeah, somehow I’m considered essential enough to keep around but my project budget got slashed this year.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Pretty minor but we booked our first Disney Cruise in like December for our honeymoon that obviously isn't happening in 2020 anymore since I'm not having a wedding this year. The cruise is for October. If I call am I going to have a hard time canceling or are they being a little more open right now with everything going on?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Tim Whatley posted:

Pretty minor but we booked our first Disney Cruise in like December for our honeymoon that obviously isn't happening in 2020 anymore since I'm not having a wedding this year. The cruise is for October. If I call am I going to have a hard time canceling or are they being a little more open right now with everything going on?

I imagine you would be bound by the cancellation fee terms in the contract.

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/contracts-terms-safety/terms-conditions/united-states/

Looks like you are good for a no fee cancellation. We canceled a NYE cruise this past weekend :( but at least we got our money back.

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man
Universal's preview yesterday went ok, biggest problems were (which all seem solvable): Temp checks in the garage couldn't handle the morning rush well, although I got in quickly because I was there early. Lines for food, anywhere with any type of restaurant or even cart, were very long in the middle of the day, just to get in. Reservations are only available for table service which seems like the best bet (if you can get it). Stickers worked well, but they missed some spots, and blind corners sometimes made for awkward backups.

The virtual queue system was glitchy there, but we were able to grab an early Hagrid ride, getting onto that with the VQ was a breeze. However, the spots for that went about as quick as the boarding groups for Rise. They had a few back sections of the park closed off open areas as "rest areas" where you could take off the mask . Most people were pretty good with the mask and the team members were enforcing it very strictly. Sanitizer was everywhere and they handed some to you if you entered a ride or restaurant.

Judging from that I think the two worst/contentious things at Disney are going to be transportation and getting food -- Hangry folks waiting in lines 3x long as normal are going to cause problems since with reduced hours, the sweet spot time for -food is pretty short.

There was some light drizzle in the day, but it was overcast with a breeze so the sun and heat wasn't overbearing, and no pop up downpours yesterday, so I have no idea how much that adds to the dynamic.

Rides were typically every other row, or one group per vehicle if it was smaller. This means a single rider would take up an entire cabin to themselves on the Hogwarts Express, which made the lines REALLY long. Most things were using the Virtual Queue system, but hogwarts express was not.

One interesting thing is, I did see some folks I recognized from Disney Management at Islands of Adventure yesterday, as "guests".

Atricks fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 4, 2020

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Did they say if the preview was working off what they'd expect to be the limits of the new reduced capacity? Meaning, did they pack the park to simulate a typical max capacity day since I assume that will be part of the new normal?

couldcareless fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 4, 2020

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My friends that were there said it was extremely busy, so I would believe so

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Good to hear. Hopefully it keeps working out. Nothing irks me more than a soft open that doesn't properly stress the new systems with typical crowds.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Tim Whatley posted:

aw come on 2020? it's the perfect lucky year to get married.

Atricks posted:

Universal's preview yesterday went ok, biggest problems were (which all seem solvable): Temp checks in the garage couldn't handle the morning rush well, although I got in quickly because I was there early. Lines for food, anywhere with any type of restaurant or even cart, were very long in the middle of the day, just to get in. Reservations are only available for table service which seems like the best bet (if you can get it). Stickers worked well, but they missed some spots, and blind corners sometimes made for awkward backups.

The virtual queue system was glitchy there, but we were able to grab an early Hagrid ride, getting onto that with the VQ was a breeze. However, the spots for that went about as quick as the boarding groups for Rise. They had a few back sections of the park closed off open areas as "rest areas" where you could take off the mask . Most people were pretty good with the mask and the team members were enforcing it very strictly. Sanitizer was everywhere and they handed some to you if you entered a ride or restaurant.

Judging from that I think the two worst/contentious things at Disney are going to be transportation and getting food -- Hangry folks waiting in lines 3x long as normal are going to cause problems since with reduced hours, the sweet spot time for -food is pretty short.

There was some light drizzle in the day, but it was overcast with a breeze so the sun and heat wasn't overbearing, and no pop up downpours yesterday, so I have no idea how much that adds to the dynamic.

Rides were typically every other row, or one group per vehicle if it was smaller. This means a single rider would take up an entire cabin to themselves on the Hogwarts Express, which made the lines REALLY long. Most things were using the Virtual Queue system, but hogwarts express was not.

One interesting thing is, I did see some folks I recognized from Disney Management at Islands of Adventure yesterday, as "guests".

there's cohesive plotting among the major theme parks in an attempt to not lose any of the big ones. Losing Disney would kick Universal's profits. Etc.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Meanwhile new cases continue to increase and just hit a record high in Florida.

https://twitter.com/orlandosentinel/status/1268583044648230912?s=21

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Busch gardens is requiring reservations to enter the park, might be the way to do it.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Zero One posted:

Meanwhile new cases continue to increase and just hit a record high in Florida.

https://twitter.com/orlandosentinel/status/1268583044648230912?s=21

I wouldn’t worry too much about one-day spikes. The numbers I just looked at for Florida vary widely from day to day, frequently a factor of two gain or drop in just a day or two. The trend line is increasing, yeah, but not as rapidly as “1419 new cases in a day” would have you believe. If what’s happening now is (extremely noisy) exponential growth, it’s exponential growth with an R0 very close to 1. So worry, sure, and take precautions. And maybe let others be the guinea pigs at theme parks. But don’t stress out over short-term fluctuations in a noisy system.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Grundulum posted:

I wouldn’t worry too much about one-day spikes. The numbers I just looked at for Florida vary widely from day to day, frequently a factor of two gain or drop in just a day or two. The trend line is increasing, yeah, but not as rapidly as “1419 new cases in a day” would have you believe. If what’s happening now is (extremely noisy) exponential growth, it’s exponential growth with an R0 very close to 1. So worry, sure, and take precautions. And maybe let others be the guinea pigs at theme parks. But don’t stress out over short-term fluctuations in a noisy system.

Per Johns Hopkins, Florida is one of the 19 states where the past 2 weeks shows an increased trend in new cases.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/new-cases-50-states

darkspider42
Oct 7, 2004

Best Buy security. You'll have to come with me sir.

Zero One posted:

Per Johns Hopkins, Florida is one of the 19 states where the past 2 weeks shows an increased trend in new cases.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/new-cases-50-states

ON TO PHASE 2 OF REOPENING!

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Just caught up on the TimTracker drama because their latest video pushed me to find out WTF. Ummmm, is this where we are now? Is this what we're doing? Seems like they said some relatively throw away dumb stuff a few years back and now we have the pitchforks out?

Edit: Just to clarify they're right to take down things that haven't aged well and are offensive to certain groups but drat the mob is brutal around this stuff

J33uk fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 4, 2020

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I don't watch them so your post made me look it up and this video is pretty damning (this channel seems to be weirdly about trolling central Florida vloggers but the footage is real).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIN1Tag6mS8

That goes beyond saying some relatively throwaway dumb stuff. They went to a racist as gently caress party and acted accordingly and vlogged about it. The thing this says to me is if they were willing to put that out in public for views and money, imagine what they're doing when the camera is off. The fact that it took being called out to take the videos down and cleanse their online presence is also damning. I don't know anything about them beyond their video and this video but that's enough red flags for me.

My wife was telling me about the social media drama going on this week outing a bunch of Disney fan shops as Trump supporting racists and it was juicy. Tons of people being called out for a lot of poo poo.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

There's a bunch of drama about them on some forum site, but I just stopped watching their content. There's other vloggers I prefer at this point. There's no shortage of people trying to make a living vlogging about WDW and Orlando.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

I don't watch them so your post made me look it up and this video is pretty damning (this channel seems to be weirdly about trolling central Florida vloggers but the footage is real).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIN1Tag6mS8

That goes beyond saying some relatively throwaway dumb stuff. They went to a racist as gently caress party and acted accordingly and vlogged about it. The thing this says to me is if they were willing to put that out in public for views and money, imagine what they're doing when the camera is off. The fact that it took being called out to take the videos down and cleanse their online presence is also damning. I don't know anything about them beyond their video and this video but that's enough red flags for me.

My wife was telling me about the social media drama going on this week outing a bunch of Disney fan shops as Trump supporting racists and it was juicy. Tons of people being called out for a lot of poo poo.

Oh boy that's yikes-y based on what you're describing. Although the video itself is showing private for me right now.

Edit: Wow the amount of drama surrounding all of this is amazing.

J33uk fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 5, 2020

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I can’t see the video any more lol.

Probably Disney took it down.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Tim probably copyright claimed that video to get it taken down, typical Youtube tactic.

https://twitter.com/CityWalkShrimp/status/1267899293073014792

here's more. its bad. "is gay contagious, i think i just caught it" "I found out you can pay $160 at universal to get a skip the line pass or just pay $12 and a $50 deposit for a wheelchair". At best this is just lovely high school humor but they are adults with a large audience.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 5, 2020

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lmao. I mean I dunno. That’s to be honest what you get for posting your life on the internet but also like, I dunno deleting your past and never growing also sucks too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Okay wow I had no idea that it was quite that bad. Well that's what I get for giving the benefit of the doubt, never mind.

Edit: Wow I just looked into some of the forums related to the whole vlogging scene and wow that's a bag of crazy

J33uk fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 5, 2020