Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011
I am an inconsiderate moron whose only method of discourse is idiotic personal attacks.

IronicDongz posted:

it's great actually that people are incentivized to actually extract after doing a loot run instead of suiciding or disconnecting

Yeah all the people complaining about the fact that Hatchet running is all but dead make no sense to me. It's so actively unfun to the not braindead people to run into a hatchet runner. At least a pistol runner is a legitimate threat.

Meanwhile I run around with the silenced ak that I found in my second raid and my teir 3 armour like a super Chad and it's tons of fun.

The game is definitely better when all the powerful top teir weapons are actually rare and not scattered around every raid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i mean the real end result is probably just a few more customers for RMT people

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Hatchet running for loot has always been stupid and boring, but hatchet running to murder gearlords with a hatchet was a lot of fun and I'm sad that they took that out of the game.

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
The arbitrary nonsensical solutions to complex problems is a huge design smell. Hopefully they're experimental rather than long-term solutions.

There's nothing inherently important at 10 minutes in a raid as opposed to 9:59, nor is it obvious that it's even a thing.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Stux posted:

i mean the real end result is probably just a few more customers for RMT people

Exactly. People RMT because they feel like a game is too hard or too tedious. So their response is to make the game more tedious.

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

i'm fine with hatchet running, just not when you rush electronics, suicide, repeat.

You've cried about this multiple times. If you play interchange and a guy gets there before you and takes a video card, how badly does this affect your run? Is there no other loot for you to take? Were you guaranteed to get that card anyway? It's not capture the flag.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 29, 2020

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Someone on reddit pointed out that you can claim this gift again on the tarkov site if you had it previously.

Good stuff in there like a money case and an item container.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
Some real issues with Steam Audio. You cannot hear people above or below you when inside some buildings. Outside has crazy range though.

Tested in this video:

https://youtu.be/lVncioRyn48

InevitableCheese fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 29, 2020

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

ChesterJT posted:

Exactly. People RMT because they feel like a game is too hard or too tedious. So their response is to make the game more tedious.

You've cried about this multiple times. If you play interchange and a guy gets there before you and takes a video card, how badly does this affect your run? Is there no other loot for you to take? Were you guaranteed to get that card anyway? It's not capture the flag.

I'm sort of on that guys side, like I'm not going to argue about "muh realism" but I dunno, I'm not a big fan of meta gameplay in a game thats touted and branded as an ultra-realistic, hardcore military FPS. Sure its not a milsim, but at the very least I play Tarkov because I hate COD bunny hopping 1-second reloads fights and on the other extreme I don't have time to dedicate to playing a full on milsim walking simulator like ArmA.

Tarkov is that sweet spot in the middle, and Tarkov at its finest is when you're slowly moving from cover to cover, listening for movement, and getting ambushed, making GBS threads your pants and getting into fun firefights, not like streamer sprint-parkour (because you've memorized the exact ledge on every corner of the map) and leg meta gameplay.

I know everyone's got different play styles and things they enjoy, but I don't think anyone feels like hatchet running was anything but silly gamey-ness.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

InevitableCheese posted:

Some real issues with Steam Audio. You cannot hear people above or below you when inside some buildings. Outside has crazy range though.

Tested in this video:

https://youtu.be/lVncioRyn48

I think this would be fine (and may be intentional?) if Steam Audio becomes the only setting. I always thought it was kind of stupid that if I was in the parking garage on Interchange I could hear someone walking around in the mall above me.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Changing a hatchet in the face from deadly or disabling to a mild tickle was a real dumb move and isn't realism in any sense.

If you're dumb enough to get punched in the face with an ax when you have a gun it's sort of your own fault.

But it makes streamers sad so we can't have it in Tarkov.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

Once it’s ironed out I think it’ll be great, but right now I would say it’s a possible disadvantage.

But I get hosed by the standard audio half the time too, so who knows

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Verticality seemed to work just fine in dorms for me, and I could more or less tell up or down when on second story in three story.

I'm leaving it on permanently because at least for same level orientation it's a night and day difference, and while verticality is important, it's nowhere near as important as horizontal positioning is

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

I’ve been hearing things fine in factory as well, so it may just be some parts of each map aren’t fully optimized to handle sound barriers correctly.

It gives me something else to blame (besides myself) when I die though

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011
I am an inconsiderate moron whose only method of discourse is idiotic personal attacks.
Steam audio has definitely leveled me up gameplay wise. On the old studio I get constantly confused by the noise directions being horribly broken. Now I can at least tell forward, backward, left, right reliably.

Although I'm sure it depends on the exact setup one has.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Kikas posted:

Haha, "non-balistic replica" :allears: At least now you can put a flashlight in the "Gear" slot of a helmet, so this does have it's use. And of course it will still take a faceshield, so it's not as useless as it might seem.

lmao they put airsoft cosplay in the game

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

twig1919 posted:

Steam audio has definitely leveled me up gameplay wise. On the old studio I get constantly confused by the noise directions being horribly broken. Now I can at least tell forward, backward, left, right reliably.

Although I'm sure it depends on the exact setup one has.

power up

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

ChesterJT posted:

every time a hatchet runner takes a piece of loot from me, that's a loss. in the case of a gpu, it's about 350k in loss because mechanically, i can't beat them there, and even if i kill them i don't get the item. even if i ran straight there i wouldn't make it, and that's playing like an idiot ignoring threats.

it's a significant annoyance to people who are actually playing the game as intended.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

every time a hatchet runner takes a piece of loot from me, that's a loss. in the case of a gpu, it's about 350k in loss because mechanically, i can't beat them there, and even if i kill them i don't get the item. even if i ran straight there i wouldn't make it, and that's playing like an idiot ignoring threats.

The failure in your logic is you believe every piece of loot in a raid belongs to you and if you don't get it then it's a loss. This is not correct. Every time you get killed that's a loss and you're not getting the loot you had. You also don't get any of the loot other people get that you don't kill. Do you cry about that lost loot too? If you get a spawn closer to a graphics card than another player do you sit and wait a few minutes so it's fairer to them?

This scenario you've dreamed up that you act as if it happens every raid is extremely unlikely to occur in real life. You have to spawn in a raid with a hatchet man, not guaranteed. If there is one, Interchange has to have a graphics card, not a guarantee to my knowledge. Then the hatchet guy has to spawn closer then you to it, not guaranteed. Even if he does he has to avoid all other players and scavs while being unarmed, definitely not a good chance of that happening.

it's a significant annoyance to people who are actually playing the game as intended.

Yes it probably is, because people like you can't comprehend that there isn't one right way to play the game. I think it'd be better for everyone to have ranked servers so I don't have to play against a Pestily-type who's already almost level 30 and geared to hell, but it's part of the game.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 29, 2020

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

ChesterJT posted:

The failure in your logic is you believe every piece of loot in a raid belongs to you and if you don't get it then it's a loss.

i don't think this though.

ChesterJT posted:

Every time you get killed that's a loss and you're not getting the loot you had. You also don't get any of the loot other people get that you don't kill. Do you cry about that lost loot too? If you get a spawn closer to a graphics card than another player do you sit and wait a few minutes so it's fairer to them?

no, but the difference is that i actually bring things to raid so if they kill me on my exit they get a consolation price (ie my loot)

a hatchet runner gives you nothing, they instantly touch and disappear loot from the raid at zero risk to themselves.

ChesterJT posted:

You have to spawn in a raid with a hatchet man, not guaranteed.

most raids have hatchetmen last reset, fyi

ChesterJT posted:

If there is one, Interchange has to have a graphics card, not a guarantee to my knowledge.

ah, gpus are the only valuable items in raids, thanks for this knowledge

ChesterJT posted:

Then the hatchet guy has to spawn closer then you to it, not guaranteed.

This thinking is incredibly naive, the fact that it doesn't happen every time doesn't mean it's not an issue, the fact that someone can spawn further than you and disappear any high value loot out of the map with zero risks involved is bad gameplay and game design.

ChesterJT posted:

Even if he does he has to avoid all other players and scavs while being unarmed, definitely not a good chance of that happening.

do you even play this game?

ChesterJT posted:

Yes it probably is, because people like you can't comprehend that there isn't one right way to play the game. I think it'd be better for everyone to have ranked servers so I don't have to play against a Pestily-type who's already almost level 30 and geared to hell, but it's part of the game.

People can play however they want, I'm of the opinion that the developers shouldn't make it any easier, and should in fact, make it harder for people mass entering raids as nakeds, rushing high value loot spawns, and after sticking them in their rear end, teleporting the goods out of the map before any geared players could make it there and stop them, even when they get a favorable spawn.

I'd rather players who bring in more gear are favored than those that come in completely naked.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

I just got shot in the face and survived. Literally my head had 0 points. I guess my PMC can survive with a scrambled brain.

Is that a bug or am I just lucky?

I also spent about 10 minutes running away from myself cos I left my laser on my pistol on and thought somebody was trying to finish the job when I saw it...

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i mean the hachet runners are still going to do that the difference is going to be theyre going to then run to extract after. if you kill them you still wont get anything and theyll justt vendor whatever it was. i dont think its going to stop it in the long run at all, its a pretty pointless change. just spawning scavs in at round start in the spawns around high value areas wouldve been a better "fix".

Jarf posted:

I just got shot in the face and survived. Literally my head had 0 points. I guess my PMC can survive with a scrambled brain.

Is that a bug or am I just lucky?

I also spent about 10 minutes running away from myself cos I left my laser on my pistol on and thought somebody was trying to finish the job when I saw it...

probably put you very low and bled to 0

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Stux posted:

i mean the hachet runners are still going to do that the difference is going to be theyre going to then run to extract after. if you kill them you still wont get anything and theyll justt vendor whatever it was. i dont think its going to stop it in the long run at all, its a pretty pointless change. just spawning scavs in at round start in the spawns around high value areas wouldve been a better "fix".

I think this is probably the best fix. plus, it would be a neat way to signal to new players where the good loot is.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Anyone seen hatchet runners yet? I've seen a grand total of one in 15 raids.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
arguing about the right way to play with an exit camper, lag switcher, stat glitcher is the wrong way to play

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

SquirrelGrip posted:

arguing about the right way to play with an exit camper, lag switcher, stat glitcher is the wrong way to play

We had pages of this exact argument like two months ago. We've come full circle.

I'll be waiting for them to unfuck the quests in ~2023 before I play again.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Anyone hit flea market yet? I’m a few levels away and saving all my t-plugs, ushankas, and high level ammo/barter items for it

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

fennesz posted:

Anyone seen hatchet runners yet? I've seen a grand total of one in 15 raids.

I ended up doing a hatchet run on Reserve because I had spawned in but then had to get right off in like 5 min for IRL stuff, so I had to ditch my insured stuff in some bushes, run into dorms to fill up my butthole and pockets, and ran to sewer to extract in 5min. Ended up getting shot at in the last 2 seconds of extract but still made it out.

Honestly though, I don't understand the people here defending hatchet running as anything but just a design flaw in the game that's now largely been fixed. As others have said, the problem with hatchet runners isn't necessarily them running and stealing loot first (though that happens often too), its that ultimately this game is supposed to be sort of a multiplayer gambling game where everyone risks their loot in the same pot. That hatchet runner is a player slot that could have been a guy with some sort of gear, even if its a lovely pistol runner, at least there's an ante into the pot.

I have no lost lament for the hatchet runners, and the new found in raid status for flea also solves a whole host of other problems (like people oddly playing Tarkov just to min-max traders goods and flea market).

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

its because theres plenty of people for who keeping afloat is difficult, and hatchet running is basically victimless. the main result will just be more people going to RMT which leads to more hackers in rounds. id take hachet runners personally.

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008
only hatchet running this wipe, see ya out there gear lords

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Dang its that thing where demand exceeds supply

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011

Stux posted:

its because theres plenty of people for who keeping afloat is difficult

Its not, you can easily make money with sub 30 survival rates. That was actually one of the problems that led to a boring end-game meta, and a problem that still exists.
A pistol is like 5,000 rubles which is the equivalent of 1/2 a single slot item...

Stux posted:

hatchet running is basically victimless.

No its not. Your forcing other players to play PvE against their will by taking up player slots. gently caress Interchange was so boring when every raid had 4-5 hatchet runners in it.

Stux posted:

the main result will just be more people going to RMT which leads to more hackers in rounds. id take hatchet runners personally.

Probably not. If anything RMT has gotten more annoying for casual players. Do you really think a "casual" who is already bouncing off the game is going to go out and spend more money to RMT themselves more stuff?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

people do hachet runs specifically because they struggle to make money or dont have as much time to play. a more casual or bad player who was enjoying the game is more likely to do some RMT than quit yeah, so they can fund their weekend raids with their friends where they just do pvp or whatever else.

again, you just spawn in the scavs that normally spawn later at game start. thats the better answer if you need an answer. the secure container change has other effects unrelated to hachet running, but changing scav spawns which are generally in place by the time geared players with bad spawns get there anyway is a much more targetted change that has little knock on effects. i dont think you need to do either though really.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Stux posted:

people do hachet runs specifically because they struggle to make money or dont have as much time to play.
no, most people who hatchet are people who know the game very well(which is why they know where good spawns are) and have a decent stash. almost every hatchet runner I kill is high level relative to the point in wipe I kill them at.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the mystical and hard to find information of "where are tech spawns"

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the point is they're usually not struggling newbies. no one is getting to level 40 and being unable to run basic gear, and that's about the level virtually every hatchling I killed last wipe was

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i didnt say they were new, mostly just bad

saw plenty of range on hatchling levels

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I think you'll possibly end up seeing more low to mid level ones this wipe because of the gamma change. It's going to be hard for a lot of players to keep steady funds without getting lucky and making it out with something that will pay for multiple raids in their rear end while doing normal runs. You eventually run out of options.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
You don't need to get lucky to get enough loot to fund multiple raids, if you stuff your backpack with random stuff from toolboxes and whatever you will make quite a bit of money if you extract. You don't need to live often to make money.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Managed to rush the watch on Customs first try :coal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsO9E8ru88U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

do you even play this game?

We don't all hack and glitch so more often than not us common folk get killed in raids even with a load of guns and armor.

twig1919 posted:

No its not. Your forcing other players to play PvE against their will by taking up player slots. gently caress Interchange was so boring when every raid had 4-5 hatchet runners in it.

Tell Nikita then. They created an entire secure container system so they obviously wanted it in the game. Go cry to him or stop playing.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 30, 2020