Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

pyrotek posted:

Also RDNA2, not 1, combined with faster storage than anything the PC has in the case of PS5. The power jump is so huge I imagine it will take a few years at minimum for games to start properly taking advantage of them.

Now that, I said on purpose, I don't see APUs with RDNA2 until we see RDNA3 parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

No, no, gently caress YOU and your elder god nonsense. XD

Pitcairn will be with us forever and you know it, not even Baffin could replace it for some reason. Although Polaris 10/20/30 is going to be a close second I think.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Now that, I said on purpose, I don't see APUs with RDNA2 until we see RDNA3 parts.

Well, there is apparently Cezanne, Van Gogh, Warhol and Rembrandt and they're supposedly staggered, Cezanne seems to be Zen3/Vega (it's an early 7nm successor to Renoir that probably also ups the CU count by 50%), Van Gogh is a Zen3/RDNA2 low power custom for probably Microsoft Surface products (5nm), Warhol is Zen3+ with RDNA2 (5nm) and Rembrandt is a Zen4 and RDNA3 (5nm). It kind of feels like AMD is switching up the release cycle between server and mobile, or they're going an an absolute frenzy with product releases. I can see them kind of just riding the gently caress out of Rome and Genoa until 2022 because Intel will quite literally have no competitor for a bit even with working 7nm, so switching up and tackle mobile really hard while Zen4 is still in the pipeline makes a kind of sense?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

EmpyreanFlux posted:

Pitcairn will be with us forever and you know it, not even Baffin could replace it for some reason. Although Polaris 10/20/30 is going to be a close second I think.
:negative:

quote:

Van Gogh is a Zen3/RDNA2 low power custom for probably Microsoft Surface products (5nm)

I'm loving begging Microsoft that they actually give the surface pro a redesign for this. I'm loving begging that they make this work in the Pro X chassis here.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I'm loving begging Microsoft that they actually give the surface pro a redesign for this. I'm loving begging that they make this work in the Pro X chassis here.

I would buy the crap out of a Ryzen Surface Pro. I was hoping GPD was going to use a Ryzen on their Pocket 3 or gaming pad, but seems like they are sticking with Intel, arguing it was cheaper.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
I Want To Believe but I don't think the new consoles being Zen/RDNA will make any difference for how well games run on AMD systems. Not unless their PC parts are good enough in general that we hit 50:50 market share again.

The current consoles are all AMD and it never really made a difference. Almost every dx9 to 11 game runs better on nvidia, and dx12/vulkan didn't make a huge difference either if we're honest. DOOM ran the way it did on AMD because the effort id put in.

Also, 20.4.2 seems to fix all the black screen crashes I was getting on my 5700 in everything except Battlefield games. I'm using NZXT CAM and it updated recently with a option to disable Game Hooking and don't want to jinx it, but it seems to have fixed crashes in that too.

It's bizarre because I tested with CAM off multiple times and still had them, but wonder if just closing the program left some processes running.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 29, 2020

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

pyrotek posted:

Also RDNA2, not 1, combined with faster storage than anything the PC has in the case of PS5. The power jump is so huge I imagine it will take a few years at minimum for games to start properly taking advantage of them.

I think the PS4 is essentially just a PCIE4 NMVE storage but still much much faster than the majority of current home users. Some folks on reddit compared areas and write speeds with some PCIE4 storage to be released sometime either at the end of summer or beginning of fall. Sony is just getting the head start, but that still is good for everyone in terms of game design.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
420, Smoke AMD erryday. :catdrugs:

What are the chances that X370 will get bios updates for Zen 3?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

I Want To Believe but I don't think the new consoles being Zen/RDNA will make any difference for how well games run on AMD systems. Not unless their PC parts are good enough in general that we hit 50:50 market share again.

I think GCN got a lot of value out of being the console GPU. I had a 7870 that stayed useful for a surprising number of years. Even when I finally ditched it the thing wasn't totally useless, if I turned the graphics down to console level.

OTOH this isn't a new advantage for them. Current consoles were AMD platforms, they got a +X performance boost from it on the PC, I doubt the new consoles will be a +2X boost.

And at the CPU level I don't think it matters. Game devs don't optimize to the CPU nearly as much as they care about the GPU. That's the compiler's job.

KKKLIP ART posted:

I think the PS4 is essentially just a PCIE4 NMVE storage but still much much faster than the majority of current home users.

It's a pcie 4 drive with custom data compression hardware on the drive controller and cpu, so the data going over the pcie pipe is smaller. Effective bandwidth is higher (if what was on the drive was compressible).

e:

Stanley Pain posted:

What are the chances that X370 will get bios updates for Zen 3?
none

Klyith fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 29, 2020

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Stanley Pain posted:

420, Smoke AMD erryday. :catdrugs:
I had a Thoroughbred Athlon XP scorch through the stock thermal pad.

I also had a Sledgehammer Opteron that also got pretty close. They both ran fine but I’m glad I thought I to repaste them after a couple years though.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

SwissArmyDruid posted:

There was a ton of rumors about AMD moving onto 5nm almost immediately and buying up a shitton of wafers (apparently a T1 partner now, lol Nvidia is going to be late to every node now), I think it's possible that if they start production in Q4 for Van Gogh and Warhol they could do a Q2 summer release. Like I 100% see the next Microsoft Surface being 100% Ryzen because how the gently caress is Intel competing lol.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

EmpyreanFlux posted:

Well, there is apparently Cezanne, Van Gogh, Warhol and Rembrandt and they're supposedly staggered, Cezanne seems to be Zen3/Vega (it's an early 7nm successor to Renoir that probably also ups the CU count by 50%), Van Gogh is a Zen3/RDNA2 low power custom for probably Microsoft Surface products (5nm), Warhol is Zen3+ with RDNA2 (5nm) and Rembrandt is a Zen4 and RDNA3 (5nm). It kind of feels like AMD is switching up the release cycle between server and mobile, or they're going an an absolute frenzy with product releases. I can see them kind of just riding the gently caress out of Rome and Genoa until 2022 because Intel will quite literally have no competitor for a bit even with working 7nm, so switching up and tackle mobile really hard while Zen4 is still in the pipeline makes a kind of sense?

I think you've got some of it mixed up as that is far more aggressive than i've seen. The rumors from earlier this week:

APU - Renoir 2020 (Zen2-Vega), Cezanne 2021 (Zen3-Vega), Rembrandt 2022 (Zen3-Navi/RDNA2/7nm? AM5?)

Desktop, No Graphics - Matisse Refresh 2020 (Zen2), Vermeer Late 2020-Early 2021 (Zen3), Warhol Late 2021? (Zen3 Refresh), Raphael 2022 (Zen4/AM5/5nm)

Thin+Light - Van Gogh 2021? (Zen2/RDNA2)

https://videocardz.com/newz/speculation-amd-cezanne-rembrandt-and-van-gogh-apus

Cygni fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 29, 2020

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

EmpyreanFlux posted:

There was a ton of rumors about AMD moving onto 5nm almost immediately and buying up a shitton of wafers (apparently a T1 partner now, lol Nvidia is going to be late to every node now), I think it's possible that if they start production in Q4 for Van Gogh and Warhol they could do a Q2 summer release. Like I 100% see the next Microsoft Surface being 100% Ryzen because how the gently caress is Intel competing lol.

Hahahahahahah How The gently caress Is 14nm+++++ Real Hahahahha Just Shrink The Die Like buy more wafers Haha

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

ratbert90 posted:

Hahahahahahah How The gently caress Is 14nm+++++ Real Hahahahha Just Shrink The Die Like buy more wafers Haha

Someday we will have a combined x86 thread, but until then, these are the kinds of jokes we'd never be able to get away with without some troglodyte getting butthurt.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Someday we will have a combined x86 thread, but until then, these are the kinds of jokes we'd never be able to get away with without some troglodyte getting butthurt.
The Intel thread is pretty self aware at this point, I’m even a repeat Intel customer, their stuff has been super reliable for me, but they’re a tough sell and hard to defend at the moment, even for me.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Yeah my last two desktop CPUs were Intel but if I had to build a new one today I'd probably go AMD.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

I just bought a fleet of AMD workstations so they are definitely starting to make inroads in places other than the consumer space

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Yeah my last two desktop CPUs were Intel but if I had to build a new one today I'd probably go AMD.

This for me as well. I’ve enjoyed how simple it’s been with Intel over the years but AMD is starting to kick their rear end. All Intel can achieve these days is marginally better gaming performance. That’s it.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Number19 posted:

I just bought a fleet of AMD workstations so they are definitely starting to make inroads in places other than the consumer space

Server and laptop/mobile are the real prizes. intel dgaf about anything but those, shown by their complete willingness to shove leaky mobile parts at the diy market for 4 years with no competition even as their costs went down.

AMD knows this. EPYC is slowly making inroads into the server market, but Intel is putting up a lot of resistance here, including aggressive pricing. Laptop/mobile is where intel has been dominant for good reason: they can offer a full turn-key solution from cpu to wifi/tb3/display/ssd even + design support.

The DIY market is peanuts, workstation is slightly less peanuts. EPYC's success however is the big bet along with the hope that next-gen mobile APUs win more designs.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
And in server markets with the big providers, price-performance-power is the winning combo, which EPYC is more than just competitive with Intel now. It'll likely be several more years yet before ARM is a large part of server footprints, but the pressure to keep power use down is certainly not going to go away from the hyperscalers.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
lol I don't even know if this is the right question for this thread but can anyone loving explain to me why the gigabit ethernet driver for the X470 Taichi is 539MB? I mean holy poo poo what the gently caress are we installing here? That's 200MB bigger than the AMD all-in-one chipset driver

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Number19 posted:

How many cbills did it cost?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
At work we have like 6 or 7 old trash and slow Intel blades for all our servers. Pretty sure we could run them all on a single 64 core Epyc.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

lol I don't even know if this is the right question for this thread but can anyone loving explain to me why the gigabit ethernet driver for the X470 Taichi is 539MB? I mean holy poo poo what the gently caress are we installing here? That's 200MB bigger than the AMD all-in-one chipset driver

If you're getting the drivers from asrock, don't and instead get them directly from whoever makes the GBE chip.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

Klyith posted:

If you're getting the drivers from asrock, don't and instead get them directly from whoever makes the GBE chip.

quote:

Intel® Gigabit LAN, Intel® 802.11ac + BT 4.2

Womp womp, guessing it's a "cover every single product we've ever made" package.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
What's THE AM4 motherboard to get these days? I need to replace an older systems and was thinking of moving my Asrock X370 Fatality Game Pro over to that system and getting myself something newer.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Cygni posted:

I think you've got some of it mixed up as that is far more aggressive than i've seen. The rumors from earlier this week:

APU - Renoir 2020 (Zen2-Vega), Cezanne 2021 (Zen3-Vega), Rembrandt 2022 (Zen3-Navi/RDNA2/7nm? AM5?)

Desktop, No Graphics - Matisse Refresh 2020 (Zen2), Vermeer Late 2020-Early 2021 (Zen3), Warhol Late 2021? (Zen3 Refresh), Raphael 2022 (Zen4/AM5/5nm)

Thin+Light - Van Gogh 2021? (Zen2/RDNA2)

https://videocardz.com/newz/speculation-amd-cezanne-rembrandt-and-van-gogh-apus

No you're right and I ended up transposing Warhol over to the APU line up for some reason. Due to being Zen3 but not codenamed Vermeer, I wonder if it's a similar core but different I/O die. For that to be the case, it'd either be a memory controller change (DDR5) or expanded I/O like more PCIE lanes. Maybe making the refresh more meaningful than merely improved core or fabric clocks.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Stanley Pain posted:

What's THE AM4 motherboard to get these days? I need to replace an older systems and was thinking of moving my Asrock X370 Fatality Game Pro over to that system and getting myself something newer.

Upgrading a X370 to a B450 doesn't seem to make that much sense, so I guess you want an X570 or to wait for B550. If X570, the gigabyte Gaming X is the best reasonable-price X570 board currently, and the MSI X570 tomahawk will be the go-to whenever it actually reaches shelves. Reviews for that were great a month ago, but you can't buy it due to pandemic.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Klyith posted:

Upgrading a X370 to a B450 doesn't seem to make that much sense, so I guess you want an X570 or to wait for B550. If X570, the gigabyte Gaming X is the best reasonable-price X570 board currently, and the MSI X570 tomahawk will be the go-to whenever it actually reaches shelves. Reviews for that were great a month ago, but you can't buy it due to pandemic.

Yeah I;m pretty sure x570 is what I want to go. Took a look at the "top end boards" and holy poo poo are they overpriced and saddled with a ton of crap that I don't care about like, WiFi and audio codecs, etc

Figures that MSI board is MIA because that's exactly what I want now :shobon:

Probably going to end up getting this motherboard. Seems to be OKish in price with decent VRMs + Cooling.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

EoRaptor posted:

How many cbills did it cost?

It wasn’t cheap but we got a good deal and the Intel comparable was way more money for less capability

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Malcolm XML posted:

Server and laptop/mobile are the real prizes. intel dgaf about anything but those, shown by their complete willingness to shove leaky mobile parts at the diy market for 4 years with no competition even as their costs went down.

AMD knows this. EPYC is slowly making inroads into the server market, but Intel is putting up a lot of resistance here, including aggressive pricing. Laptop/mobile is where intel has been dominant for good reason: they can offer a full turn-key solution from cpu to wifi/tb3/display/ssd even + design support.

The DIY market is peanuts, workstation is slightly less peanuts. EPYC's success however is the big bet along with the hope that next-gen mobile APUs win more designs.

Servers are going to be due pretty soon too and there’s no way I will look at Intel for this at all unless I get an absurd deal on it

Mindshare takes along time to build, and even longer to pull it away from an entrenched competitor. They are slowly doing it though. Every VAR I’ve spoken to open with EPYC options now

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

BeastOfExmoor posted:

AMD Warhol is a great codename. Say it out loud.

Candidate for new thread title.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Also, 20.4.2 seems to fix all the black screen crashes I was getting on my 5700 in everything except Battlefield games. I'm using NZXT CAM and it updated recently with a option to disable Game Hooking and don't want to jinx it, but it seems to have fixed crashes in that too.

It's bizarre because I tested with CAM off multiple times and still had them, but wonder if just closing the program left some processes running.

jk, black screens started again. No idea why BF1 and BFV crash for me when every other game is fine. Starting to consider doing a fresh install.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Stanley Pain posted:

Probably going to end up getting this motherboard. Seems to be OKish in price with decent VRMs + Cooling.

FYI the $100 less Aorus Elite probably does everything you need. 3 NVMe slots is kinda extra, if you really need the third at some point there are always PCIe->NVMe adapter cards which are cheap.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

jk, black screens started again. No idea why BF1 and BFV crash for me when every other game is fine. Starting to consider doing a fresh install.

If it's happening regularly, you could email AMD support and tell them you have frequent black screens in BF and if there are logs or something you could send in. One of the things they've said about the black screen bug is that they have a hard time reproducing it with automated tests. In their PR to tech news with one of the previous driver updates they asked people to send in info.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

There is a snake oil solution going around that disabling some settings in Windows 10 might help.
Type exploit protection in the start menu, program settings -> add the game .exe files, and disable CFG and bottom-up ASLR.
I don't have a Vega/Navi card, just sayin'

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Klyith posted:

FYI the $100 less Aorus Elite probably does everything you need. 3 NVMe slots is kinda extra, if you really need the third at some point there are always PCIe->NVMe adapter cards which are cheap.

That's the board I built my new system around and I've been really happy with it. It hit the price/feature level I was looking for, and it's been running great. I'm consistently beating the average benchmarks for my 3600X with everything at stock settings and no OC.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Klyith posted:

This looks like a winner, thanks. The elite has HDMI out, and I wonder if that can be used without an APU chip for audio.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Stanley Pain posted:

This looks like a winner, thanks. The elite has HDMI out, and I wonder if that can be used without an APU chip for audio.

Nope, without an APU the hdmi / any other video ports are completely dead.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Son of a bitch.

Someone take the silkscreen idea, and upscale it into a photographic mosaic portrait of Andy Warhol, then send it to AMD marketing so they don't gently caress that up.

edit: Knowing AMD they'll dilute the idea by ham-fistedly bludgeoning something out resembling Warhol and Basquiat's later collaboration.

edit edit: poo poo, I can see the visual marketing now:

You start with a completely blank canvas, top-down. Quiet whirring noises of machinery are heard as a silkscreen frame slowly moves obscures your view of the canvas, and is lowered. You hear a frankly disgusting splortch of a glop of paint, and then photocopier noises as a squeegee passes through. When the entire apparatus lifts up, you see a die shot. It's one core. That one core could be K6, K6-III, K7, could even be a single Zen core. Whatever. Doesn't matter. The point is the slowness of the frame and squeegee.

Slide projector noises accompany a pan over to a new section of blank canvas. Repeat the above, but this time, faster, and we've got two cores. Again, could be Athlon 64 X2, could be two Zen cores.

Repeat the above. This time, four cores, but even faster. Can make a gag here with Bulldozer, but then there's crashing noises, sirens, catawampus, and then they start over on another section of canvas with a full Zen CCX.

Repeat, again, faster, but with a Zen die. And another Zen die, and another, with the gap between silkscreens getting smaller and smaller until they start printing multiple Zen dies at once, then Zen+, then Zen 2. At this point, things should be moving so fast that they start to blur together to give you the transitions that you need between the Zen generations, you can blend the slide projector noises into the sound of continuously running photocopier noise, and then a whooshing noise of wind rushing past. And then we break from the top-down view and start to see hundreds of millions of wafer silkscreens, zooming out until you get that photographic mosaic of Andy Warhol.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Son of a bitch.

Someone take the silkscreen idea, and upscale it into a photographic mosaic portrait of Andy Warhol, then send it to AMD marketing so they don't gently caress that up.

edit: Knowing AMD they'll dilute the idea by ham-fistedly bludgeoning something out resembling Warhol and Basquiat's later collaboration.

edit edit: poo poo, I can see the visual marketing now:

You start with a completely blank canvas, top-down. Quiet whirring noises of machinery are heard as a silkscreen frame slowly moves obscures your view of the canvas, and is lowered. You hear a frankly disgusting splortch of a glop of paint, and then photocopier noises as a squeegee passes through. When the entire apparatus lifts up, you see a die shot. It's one core. That one core could be K6, K6-III, K7, could even be a single Zen core. Whatever. Doesn't matter. The point is the slowness of the frame and squeegee.

Slide projector noises accompany a pan over to a new section of blank canvas. Repeat the above, but this time, faster, and we've got two cores. Again, could be Athlon 64 X2, could be two Zen cores.

Repeat the above. This time, four cores, but even faster. Can make a gag here with Bulldozer, but then there's crashing noises, sirens, catawampus, and then they start over on another section of canvas with a full Zen CCX.

Repeat, again, faster, but with a Zen die. And another Zen die, and another, with the gap between silkscreens getting smaller and smaller until they start printing multiple Zen dies at once, then Zen+, then Zen 2. At this point, things should be moving so fast that they start to blur together to give you the transitions that you need between the Zen generations, you can blend the slide projector noises into the sound of continuously running photocopier noise, and then a whooshing noise of wind rushing past. And then we break from the top-down view and start to see hundreds of millions of wafer silkscreens, zooming out until you get that photographic mosaic of Andy Warhol.

See, I was thinking more: