Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
I'm glad Mrs. Freeze got a rebound :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, you kinda saw the spark of that when King Shark was talking about his needs and desires, but then his "I'M NOT GONNA DO BETTER" cognitive dissonance kicked in and he went all :v: again.

I was wondering where they were going with that. It would make sense, though I hope he gets to hang around in future episodes if that comes to pass.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Arcsquad12 posted:

I mean, the episode was good, but how they resolve this is going to really determine my overall feelings about the show. They could either do it really well, or they could drop the ball and undermine the shows themes about abuse.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Ivy made the right decision at the end. I kinda feel like they were ABOUT to pitch the idea of polyamory, but when it comes down to it, Harley's a spoiled brat who needs to stop being spoiled first.

:same: to both of these. Harley really needs to grow a little more, that much is obvious.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, you kinda saw the spark of that when King Shark was talking about his needs and desires, but then his "I'M NOT GONNA DO BETTER" cognitive dissonance kicked in and he went all :v: again.

I actually kind of hope they don't go this route? Call me shallow, but Ivy seems like a heck of a woman, not just for Kite-Man, and having him give her up because 'she isn't good enough' doesn't sound like the right kind of message to give. Maybe make it a mutual calling off, as they both realize that they're not really ready for it?

Well, assuming they don't go down the polyamory route, which is the best option :colbert:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

CommissarMega posted:

I actually kind of hope they don't go this route? Call me shallow, but Ivy seems like a heck of a woman, not just for Kite-Man, and having him give her up because 'she isn't good enough' doesn't sound like the right kind of message to give. Maybe make it a mutual calling off, as they both realize that they're not really ready for it?

Well, assuming they don't go down the polyamory route, which is the best option :colbert:

Not where I was going with my observation. Kite Man wants to marry Ivy because he doesn't think he's ever going to do better than her, and now we know he's cripplingly insecure because of his horrible superpowered parents and having children with her might alleviate the shame of his never getting them. I've no doubt that he *likes* her, but I think in that moment he realized that he's bro-ing out with HER teammates and that he's not really a part of her life, just a dude she's settling for. Ivy's marrying *him* because while she's mature and has her poo poo together in her specific lane of concentration, she's extremely new to interpersonal relationships, even going so far as to admit that until *very* recently she could not stand being around humans without being physically ill. Someone else said it much earlier in the thread - he was nice to her without her *making* him be nice to/fawn all over her, and she's misconstruing that as "love" because *she doesn't know any better and is settling*.

It just makes it all the worse because Kite Man is a 'bro' who's trying to reform and mend the errors of his ways...despite occasionally uncorking a 'cuck' every so often. >.>

Also, if you didn't get enough of Jessica Walter in an animated DC show (in order):

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dh77hWXg14
2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_uYYejAGKs
3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXBOUy52zYM

"How ~adorable~ are you?" :v:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 29, 2020

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It seems more like Kiteman is in love with the idea of being married and happy. Ivy is great and they are good together but there's no way they end this season without that who thing blowing up before they reach the alter with equal possibilities of each of them stepping back from the other.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I'm just going to say it: Kiteman deserves better than the relationship he has with Ivy and at this point I'm pretty sure he's going to be the one who breaks up with her rather than being dumped.

I hope it's mutual. Maybe a "I need to tell you s--" scene where they both say it at the same time.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

itry posted:

I hope it's mutual. Maybe a "I need to tell you s--" scene where they both say it at the same time.

"Babe, I've gotta be honest with you. Harley and I...kinda hooked up during my Bachelorette Weekend. Like, more than once. Twice...that I remember." :smith:

"I...see. Do you love her?" :ohdear:

"Ye...yeah, but I really love *you*, too. She's fun to be with but she's as unstable as a Coke can in a paint mixer." :rolleyes:

*serious look for a second giving way to a bro smile* "'kay! I know it'd be creepy and weird for me to suggest a threesome or if I could watch next time, but ya gotta give me some more 'deetz 'cuz the visuals in my head need some company." :heysexy:

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Hopefuly Maxie saw a doctor before this new relationship happened.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I love that when I watch this show I get the feeling that the writers think "what would make the most sense for these characters to act and feel in these situations" rather than "what would be the most cool/exciting/audience pleasing"

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

theblackw0lf posted:

I love that when I watch this show I get the feeling that the writers think "what would make the most sense for these characters to act and feel in these situations" rather than "what would be the most cool/exciting/audience pleasing"

Also the show strikes an amazing balance of being funny AND emotionally mature.

ivy deciding NOT to date Harley because she’s selfish and untrustworthy is exactly the kind of stuff I wished more shows did. gently caress “we need to be together because the show demands it” bullshit

Also I love how the story is playing out. I'm tired of heroes winning because they have bigger fists or the magic mcguffin or because they have White Male Protagonist syndrome.

Lechtansi fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 30, 2020

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

"We're going to have a loving reager."

I like the arc they're following, but I have no idea how they're going to tie it off with only six more episodes.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I guess I"m the only one on the boat with not liking how this is being handled. Kite Man is gonna get wrecked and there's no real feeling of romance between Harley and Ivy, just "AND THEN THEY HAD SEX TWICE, LOL"

Maybe it's what they were going for to subvert expectations but after all the buildup to their first kiss the whole thing felt super cheap and underwhelming.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The whole bit with the television screen was amazing. "Oh no I made it full-screen! Which HDMI port did you use!?!"

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Ivy having lesbian-fling-induced Tourette's cracked me up every time.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Chokes McGee posted:

I guess I"m the only one on the boat with not liking how this is being handled. Kite Man is gonna get wrecked and there's no real feeling of romance between Harley and Ivy, just "AND THEN THEY HAD SEX TWICE, LOL"

Maybe it's what they were going for to subvert expectations but after all the buildup to their first kiss the whole thing felt super cheap and underwhelming.

It's weird. I hadn't consciously thought about this until now, but between this episode and the last one I'm having more and more difficulty denying that Harley is, you know, a bad person. They try to justify her actions by having her mostly just murder other supervillains, but even in this episode she does that because she gets off on murder and wanton destruction. It's hard to root for anyone, romantically speaking, when they're jubilant psychopaths. Let alone have conversations about their personal growth or whatever. I feel like Doctor Melfi in the Sopranos.

I know your post doesn't straight up have anything to do with what I'm saying, but for whatever reason it's the one that started tugging on this particular thread in my brain.

Also that King Shark subplot was basically nothing, right? Some cool designs though.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/Bqlyb51.mp4

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Chokes McGee posted:

My read on it was that there was enough below-the-surface sexual tension that all it took was a night of bachelorette-party level drinking for them to go off the deep end. There have been plenty of moments of maybe/maybe not romantic and sexual tension for two whole seasons and while Harley was a bit quick to blurt out “I love you” (which now that I think about it actually is in character for her) it felt earned when it actually happened.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Open Source Idiom posted:

Also that King Shark subplot was basically nothing, right? Some cool designs though.

I think it was just to help Kite-Man reach his own epiphany re: his relationship with Ivy, or at least put him on the road to said epiphany.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
I enjoyed the Amazon queen saying a traditional celebration, Harley saying "we're going to have a loving rager?" and the queen in posh voice sounding like she's going to correct it, "we're going to have... a loving rager."

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

It was a song about poop, that's not nothing.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Batman kinda said it best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc1nDymJ0XI&t=143s

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

roomforthetuna posted:

It was a song about poop, that's not nothing.

I... Did not enjoy that. It was funny at first but then it drug on long enough to be uncomfortably unfunny.

The whole episode this time out was really uneven imo.

Conclusions
Oct 18, 2003

The ball of yarn will be on your desk by Friday.
I don't know how I missed Jameela Jamil as Eris. The extended voice cast for this show continues to be excellent.

Also, Jen's face seemed like it was trying to be someone in particular? It reminded me of Kathryn Hahn (Parks and Rec, Bad Moms) but I'm not sure if that was just me mentally making the "Jen" character connection from Parks.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

I love how much of a nerd Ivy is in this series.

Also, I thought Luthor was dead.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I love how much of a nerd Ivy is in this series.

Also, I thought Luthor was dead.

Luthor fronted the Legion of Doom but he's a Metropolis based character, I assume if he was in Gotham when the Joker/Queen of Fables pulled their big move (I don't recall if he was around or not), he just hauled rear end back to Metropolis and is enjoying a Superman-free life at the moment.

And yes I loved that moment she realized she was the only one who got a Cobb Squad tattoo, but also that Queen Hippolyta just immediately latched on to Cobb Squad as their team name :allears:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If they wanted to throw KiteMan for Harley they shouldn't have made his relationship with Ivy so wholesome. It's a rare enough thing in regular media, let alone comics, to represent a normal and fairly healthy relationship. The juxtaposition of KiteMan/Ivy with the rest of the batshit crazy stuff that happens on the show makes it work, and if they're contriving ways to undo that for the sake of shipping the two leads I want a little more than "KiteMan thinks he can do better" after a single episode's sideplot.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
My interpretation is that their relationship isn't healthy, as King Shark's sublot pointed out/foreshadowed. With Kiteman, Ivy would be settling for the safe, pedestrian choice and won't actually be happy. King Shark wants someone who excites him; for Ivy, that means Harley.

Also, after some ~23 years of Harley & Ivy almost or implied to be happening but then categorically denied or swerved at the last second, including the huge blowback DC recieved this past year over HiC, the Harley & Ivy mini-series, and the Valentine's Day statue queerbaiting controversy, it would be extremely egregious and troublesome for DC if this show also goes that route. Even life-long DC writers have publicly given the company poo poo for not pulling the trigger on these two properly in anything other than small-time side-stories. They basically have to wind up together, if nothing else than from a business and PR perspective.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If they do o hope they play some Simon and Garfunkel over the ending because the show has made it pretty drat clear how rocky their relationship would be.

Ovenmaster
Feb 22, 2006
I am the master of ovens for some reason.
Too bad fictional characters are static and can never change, otherwise we might get an interesting romance arc where they learn to overcome their own flaws in order to be perfect for each other. :thunk:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I just want to see it done well, but do continue with the sarcasm. I understand that media is not created in a vacuum and this show has nearly thirty years of meta continuity riding on Harley and Ivy getting together, but I would rather the show find its own way to come to that conclusion rather than do it simply because of the weight of media inertia pushing it forward. I like the way the show has handled their relationship so far and I am just really hoping they don't trip at the finish line and need to contrive a way to make the two a couple at the expense of characterization and the shows own thematic beats.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I have faith in the writing team to resolve the Harley-Ivy plot in a decent way, otherwise it would be a huge let down.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That what I want. I want this show, separate of anything else, to justify their relationship and handle it in a mature and we'll thought out manner. Not because thirty years of continuity demanding it, much as that has to be an influence.

And I want it to be messy. Someone has to be hurt for this love triangle to resove itself. Killing KiteMan or having him become the bigger man and stepping aside to make Harley and Ivy happen just seems like it would be a copout at this point. They've shown remarkable maturity in how the show has portrayed relationships so far. Someone's gotta get hurt by this since cheating is a form of emotional abuse and the show doesn't shy away from how abuse hurts people deeply

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 30, 2020

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Arcsquad12 posted:

That what I want. I want this show, separate of anything else, to justify their relationship and handle it in a mature and we'll thought out manner. Not because thirty years of continuity demanding it, much as that has to be an influence.

And I want it to be messy. Someone has to be hurt for this love triangle to resove itself. Killing KiteMan or having him become the bigger man and stepping aside to make Harley and Ivy happen just seems like it would be a copout at this point. They've shown remarkable maturity in how the show has portrayed relationships so far. Someone's gotta get hurt by this since cheating is a form of emotional abuse and the show doesn't shy away from how abuse hurts people deeply

Agreed, in my opinion the casual disregard of this show towards what may be considered canon is actually a huge plus in my book, the writers have been able to explore the characters in whatever manner they have seen fit and the result has been pretty good in my opinion, and it's not like DC is exactly afraid of reset buttons or anything. It's also entirely possible that the writers may poo poo the bed and create a mediocre ending, that would suck so much.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

The first preview image of episode 10 was released earlier today:

I'm sure this will end well.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rhonne posted:

The first preview image of episode 10 was released earlier today:

I'm sure this will end well.

Oh no. No show. Bad show. Bad!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I think King Shark's little speech makes it fairly clear polyamory is going to be discussed, at the very least. I really didn't think the show would go there - it's pretty risque for what's a fairly tame adult cartoon.

bring back old gbs posted:

its also...not about the fights at all lmao. the physical animation is one of the worst aspects of the show, its almost entirely held up by the writing.
Yes. So why is so much time spent on it?

Tiggum posted:

None of the medical stuff in Scrubs matters. The cops in Brooklyn 99 don't seem to do much actual work except as an excuse for high jinks. That's just how sitcoms work.
No. The work the character in Scrubs and Brooklyn 99 do matters, is informed by their characters and informs their relationships in turn. What we have here is a Seinfeld \ Friends situation, where the work is really quite irrelevant. The characters can get hired, demoted, fired, and it's never going to affect anything.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Xander77 posted:

No. The work the character in Scrubs and Brooklyn 99 do matters, is informed by their characters and informs their relationships in turn. What we have here is a Seinfeld \ Friends situation, where the work is really quite irrelevant. The characters can get hired, demoted, fired, and it's never going to affect anything.

Oh you know, except for destroying Gotham, killing the entire legion of doom, removing Batman from the equation, banishing the rest of the justice league, letting Gordon retake the city.

Yep nothing ever happens in this show.

Edit: There is this weird thing where all major events happen really quickly, because they cram everything into a 22 minute episode. I could go for more multi-episode arcs for events, not just character stuff.

Lechtansi fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 30, 2020

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

roomforthetuna posted:

I enjoyed the Amazon queen saying a traditional celebration, Harley saying "we're going to have a loving rager?" and the queen in posh voice sounding like she's going to correct it, "we're going to have... a loving rager."

Best line of the episode.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Also I think most of the Legion of Doom was at Black Manta's beach house.

From the last scene its pretty clear that they're setting up that while Chuck is a good guy and would respect Ivy as a partner not just a wife, he's also kinda boring and doesn't have a lot going on, which is not what Ivy needs or really wants. Plus Harley curling up and crying shows that her feelings are 100% honest.

I should not have watched that episode while eating lunch though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

That was great. Lots of good gags that they leaned into, going totally 'Little Mermaid' with the under the sea stuff, King Shark getting a whole subplot to himself, Themyskira as a resort, bachelorette shenanigans, and of course that those moments

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Kite Man wants to marry Ivy because he doesn't think he's ever going to do better than her

What ? drat right Kite Man isn't going to do better than Ivy, that's a really loving high bar. Sure, there's the murder thing - she's as into it as Harley is if the cause is right - but she's a together, sincere person who is honest with herself about her own poo poo. That marriage has legs, they can grow together.

MizPiz posted:

[spoiler]I'm glad Mrs. Freeze got a rebound :unsmith:

Yeah. Who knows, maybe this weekend keeps her from consuming herself with grief and lets her have a real life, not going all supervillainy. It'd be another new direction for a character on a show that's full of them.

It's weird. I hadn't consciously thought about this until now, but between this episode and the last one I'm having more and more difficulty denying that Harley is, you know, a bad person. They try to justify her actions by having her mostly just murder other supervillains, but even in this episode she does that because she gets off on murder and wanton destruction. It's hard to root for anyone, romantically speaking, when they're jubilant psychopaths.

Ivy is cool with murder, she just does it for a cause. The problem with Harley, the reason she's a bad person is just what Ivy said, she's flighty, she'll move on to the next thing. Ivy is absolutely right to not trust Harley with her heart. Whatever can be said about her relationship with Kite Man, Ivy is wise enough not to trust her. Even if the sex was incredible.