Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

tiberion02 posted:

Pittsburgh is just East Ohio.... perfectly fits in with Cleveland/Columbus/Cincinnati/Dayton/Toledo, etc.

absolutely not, Pittsburgh and Columbus are absolutely nothing like each other

You have to get into your car after you roll out of bed in Columbus to go take a poo poo, none of the architecture is the same

Pittsburgh really isn't much different from Philadelphia in the ways that matter, despite residents of both cities denying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

tiberion02 posted:

Pittsburgh is just East Ohio.... perfectly fits in with Cleveland/Columbus/Cincinnati/Dayton/Toledo, etc.

it’s def Midwest

Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

it’s def Midwest

bullshit, you're just trying to troll me

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Can we just cast Pittsburgh into the sun and be done with it?

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

uncleTomOfFinland posted:

rare good covid19 news, the cooperative that runs burger king, taco bell and other restaurant chains in finland is giving 50% of the bailout they are getting to their furloughed employees

yes, the unions and the local equivalent of the DSA own all the burger king and taco bell restaurants you see around here

i know it's a freezing dark swamp with a language that even after years of personally knowing finnish people i cannot grasp at all but goddammit its at the top of my list for places to flee too if the united states self destructed :unsmith:

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

I always just assumed that My Summer Car is an incredible replication of life in Finland

as someone who has racked 50+ hours of MSC on steam and actually having some memories of finland 1995 id say its incredibly accurate

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

NofrikinfuN posted:

how many of the positive celebrities and athletes have died? the rules are different when you are rich as hell

RIP to Joe Diffy

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

as someone who has racked 50+ hours of MSC on steam and actually having some memories of finland 1995 id say its incredibly accurate

leading cause of death: kilju-adjacent septic tank opening accidents

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

Ohio hates Pittsburgh, so this doesn't check out

Most of Ohio hates the rest of Ohio, so...

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

leading cause of death: kilju-adjacent septic tank opening accidents

read this as kaiju-adjacent and imo this is the superior reading

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Jazerus posted:

read this as kaiju-adjacent and imo this is the superior reading

still a lot of 2020 to go

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

absolutely not, Pittsburgh and Columbus are absolutely nothing like each other

You have to get into your car after you roll out of bed in Columbus to go take a poo poo, none of the architecture is the same

Pittsburgh really isn't much different from Philadelphia in the ways that matter, despite residents of both cities denying it.

pittsburgh is the paris of appalachia

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
got the email today about how we have to re-open because some people can't seem to "handle" remote work and also "this was never intended to be forever"

we're a small design/marketing agency that absolutely does not need to be in an office right now (at least not some people), but everyone is tired of this so we're just going to drop everything and go in in two weeks. owners acted like they were open to discussion but it's clear they are doing that date no matter what. im preparing myself for a stand off, especially if the numbers don't drop here in maryland

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lmao the apartment complex where I live announced today it would opening up all the amenities like the small weight room with any sort of restrictions.

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

Apr 7, 2003

Do Finns really drink that much

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

a helpful bear posted:

got the email today about how we have to re-open because some people can't seem to "handle" remote work and also "this was never intended to be forever"

we're a small design/marketing agency that absolutely does not need to be in an office right now (at least not some people), but everyone is tired of this so we're just going to drop everything and go in in two weeks. owners acted like they were open to discussion but it's clear they are doing that date no matter what. im preparing myself for a stand off, especially if the numbers don't drop here in maryland

at my place it's really obvious the people losing it the fastest are the hr/it/qa types who never did any real work to begin with and now they can't hang around the office and annoy us all with endless pointless meetings they're being driven insane by their own insufferable families. the weekly "mental health" updates from hr are taking on a tone of wild-eyed desperation.

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

Do Finns really drink that much

They at least have the highest rate of coffee and cigs consumption per capita. nation of goons.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

etalian posted:

lmao the apartment complex where I live announced today it would opening up all the amenities like the small weight room with any sort of restrictions.

I'm kinda fortunate in that I live in a building that takes covid very seriously and has been posting increasingly passive aggressive signs since the outbreak, like I saw one today that said:

TWO PEOPLE PER ELEVATOR
IF YOU DON'T HAVE A MASK, ONE PERSON PER ELEVATOR

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020
wild eyes r in this season

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!

https://twitter.com/JonathanTamari/status/1266376032271007749

lol hoo boy if this has been running around the Senate for a while

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=683102628927090&id=495539003867549

:thunk:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I would say the public transportation in Helsinki was really impressive and there doesn't seem to be that much going wrong with the place besides it is a bit boring. A beer in the center was around 8-9 Euros. Alcohol prices in state stores (Alko) seemed to be about the same range considering ABV.

Everyone imports booze from Latvia by ferry now. (They should just legalize weed and get over with it.) It also is cold and dark as you would expect for half the year, bring some vitamin D.

Also, there is a semi-high-speed train you can take to St. Petersburg.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

rare good covid19 news, the cooperative that runs burger king, taco bell and other restaurant chains in finland is giving 50% of the bailout they are getting to their furloughed employees

yes, the unions and the local equivalent of the DSA own all the burger king and taco bell restaurants you see around here

king seems pretty reactionary, they should call it chairman burger

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

etalian posted:

mine was like, legally we can't tell you not to use the amenities, but uh, please don't throw any giant pool parties

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Pittsburgh really shouldn't be considered a part of Appalachia, it's got nothing in common with places like Tennessee.

Pittsburgh is the rust belt.

Appalachia ends at Huntington WV, culturally.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Ardennes posted:

I would say the public transportation in Helsinki was really impressive and there doesn't seem to be that much going wrong with the place besides it is a bit boring. A beer in the center was around 8-9 Euros. Alcohol prices in state stores (Alko) seemed to be about the same range considering ABV.

Everyone imports booze from Latvia by ferry now. (They should just legalize weed and get over with it.) It also is cold and dark as you would expect for half the year, bring some vitamin D.

Also, there is a semi-high-speed train you can take to St. Petersburg.

Estonia, not Latvia. As soon as your step off the ferry in Tallinn there is just liquor store after liquor store selling cases and cases of alcohol to Finns who proceed to spend a night getting hosed up in the old town before turning around and going back to Helsinki with their half-price alcohol.

Finland is a magical place and is the only country to have figured out dish-drying right:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Do ppl in Finland just laugh all day about Sweden

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Why aren't more people talking about the WHO? This is potentially the end of the loving world!

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Korean Boomhauer posted:

when will mad cow disease start spiking b/c of all the deregulation of food now?

tbh i've always planned on going vegan anyway

Ireland and Northern Ireland went a bit crazy with regulations when the mad cow disease broke out in the UK back in the 90s. Now beef here, even ground beef, comes with a label stating the name/postcode of the farm the cow came from. Butchers' shops here are flooded with cheap meat right now, since we produce 8x more food than we consume and I guess a drop-off in exports has flooded the domestic market.

Also talk here about implementing water restrictions, since Ireland has pretty much had 3 months of blue skies without rain since lockdown began at the start of March and reservoir levels are drastically low. It's been one of the warmest, driest, sunniest springs on record here while everyone has to stay indoors.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

.... mods?!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

choice ny strip steak is $20/lb at my local restaurant depot. this is the wholesale price.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

meat prices pretty normal here, but we've got a bunch of local farms and are close to lots of big processing plants so probably as logistics get harder we're just behind in seeing the drops

anything on sale sells out like ASAP tho unless it's like one of those bougie cuts that is normally 25 bucks a pound

Serf
May 5, 2011

lmao the order has come down that we are "strongly encouraged" to come back to the office next week. then on june 15th i'm required to come back for a monday-wednesday-friday schedule until july 20th at which point we are open for business baby. the only difference is that half the office can come in at 7:30 and leave at 4:30 and the other half does 8 to 5 because they think staggering the entering/leaving times will help. no masks required, we'll be having in-person meetings in the cramped conference room to "get back on track"

fatnoodlesfarting
Dec 3, 2019
Northern Virginia here. Since someone asked to share experiences thought I would post :)

The pandemic has already "hit home" for our family, so to speak - my cousin (actually my mom's cousin but I grew up referring to him as "my" cousin) died in early April. He had Down's Syndrome and began suffering from early onset dementia this past year. His parents died a year ago and his brother's family was taking care of him but were struggling mightily and in January put him into a state home. The disease ripped through the home sometime in mid to late March and he ended up being rushed to the hospital with a high fever and breathing struggles. Apparently given the shortage of ventilators the hospital told the family that he wasn't eligible for one and he died alone, without any family with him, in the hospital.

It really pisses me off when the chuds or whoever brush off deaths like this, of older or weaker people, as not a big deal. What is particularly galling to me about this whole thing is that my cousin was passionately all about his family and the small little community in the rural town where they lived that cared for him. When he got sick no one was there to see him or help him. He was incredibly confused and devastated when his parents died and I can't imagine how he was feeling during this ordeal. Yes, he was going downhill with the dementia but this was a particularly cruel and unfair hand to be dealt at the end of his life. And now he has been dead for more than a month - a remembrance may happen sometime in the distant future, maybe not, but without any kind of funeral it feels like he just unceremoniously dropped off the face of the Earth. No kids to pass on his legacy, no celebration of his life, barely even a discussion of it except for some horrified phone calls and emails. Lack of face to face with anyone outside our immediate household is so bizarre.

Maybe thats why I had the urge to post this - it at least feels like I'm talking to someone, even strangers, acknowledging it outside of my immediate family and closest friends.

I live in a more distant suburb of Washington. My area is mostly Hispanic/African American and MOST of the people here are taking the pandemic pretty seriously still. I ran to the ABC today for some emergency essentials after not having been out at all for a few weeks and everyone in the store and around it were masked and distancing. The people who are NOT following the rules around here seem to be (surprise!) the older fatter white people with the expensive pick up trucks. I almost swerved off the road with shock when I saw the crappy Tex-Mex place frequented almost exclusively by the older white crowd jam packed, parking overflowing to an adjacent lot. Packed patio, no masks. Meanwhile, the dozens of other vastly superior Mexican places are still closed or take out only.

Notice the same difference with the grocery stores. The few times I have ventured out to our craphole Safeway I run into several older white men not distancing, not masked. Safeway in our area hasn't even bothered to ensure all their employees have masks or to enforce any kind of safety measures (a marked contrast from the Safeway in the wealthy area of the nearby city where I work). Our Safeway also has had shortages on almost everything. Contrast that with the Asian grocery store nearby in which they actually make sure people are wearing masks in the store, provide guidance for appropriate social distancing and my spouse was able to find paper towels and eggs there a few weeks ago!

People are really being squeezed in our area as costs have been rising for a while and pricing people out. They just shut down two trailer parks and people are fighting efforts to build low income housing nearby to make up for it. I think about 60% of kids at the local elementary are entitled for free lunches, I don't know what is being done to ensure these children are getting what they need. A lot of the local churches are doing food drives and there are big lines which is extremely depressing to see. Then we have the mansions and gated communities less than a mile away from some of these churches. I was once followed while driving through one of these neighborhoods by some weird vigilante and they are always the ones complaining on Next Door about every petty little thing - usually poop, noise and "those people" daring to go to the public parks near them or walking "suspiciously" near their property. Nowadays its the freedom-crushing horrors of being expected to wear masks around town. All while people are dying and there are food lines down the street. Seriously, gently caress these people.

Well, that's my little rant and sorry for the length. tldr: Sad family death. Annoyed by usual suspects around town not taking things seriously.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Serf posted:

lmao the order has come down that we are "strongly encouraged" to come back to the office next week. then on june 15th i'm required to come back for a monday-wednesday-friday schedule until july 20th at which point we are open for business baby. the only difference is that half the office can come in at 7:30 and leave at 4:30 and the other half does 8 to 5 because they think staggering the entering/leaving times will help. no masks required, we'll be having in-person meetings in the cramped conference room to "get back on track"

My workplace will most likely to start WFH after August since the rolled out a 4/10 schedule to reduce the number of factory operating days each week.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
As for kids needing meals from schools, at least in my area they went to picking up a weeks worth of meals on Monday and it's been fantastic. A lot of it is hosed with due to funding though- initially they tried daily pickup and realized that was an infection risk, but when the school year ends and they switch to summer food distribution it will be twice a day pickup which is idiotic. This is Illinois fwiw

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Serf posted:

i just left my company who's opening in 2 weeks to one where i have WFH until 12/31 :radcat:

Serf
May 5, 2011

schools will be open in august, same for the university. coronavirus is going to decimate this place lol but we'll never quarantine again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

Estonia, not Latvia. As soon as your step off the ferry in Tallinn there is just liquor store after liquor store selling cases and cases of alcohol to Finns who proceed to spend a night getting hosed up in the old town before turning around and going back to Helsinki with their half-price alcohol.

Finland is a magical place and is the only country to have figured out dish-drying right:

love to have moldy cabinets