Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Classic ASP is rear end.

Edit: Specifically to work with, I swear it would be possible to port this app to server Java, which is what everything else I work with is.

Maigius fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

It was rear end 14 years ago.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Jaded Burnout posted:

It was rear end 14 years ago.

That's when this program was written. Comments form 1999. Boss had to reinstall the editor and it warned him that it might break IE 4.0.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

The Fool posted:

I’ve been running into more and more web ui issues caused by my ad-blocker

Specifically I use ublock origin on chrome.

I use Firefox as my daily-driver and it has uBlock Origin and other addons, but I keep around Chrome (without anything, just plain) exactly for these situations. At one point, after a website update, my cell phone carrier's login page got broken (fido.ca). They were loading crap (css, js) from websites that were blocked by uBlock and in their infinite wisdom they somehow managed to break even the login dialog.
I complained and miraculously got fixed a month or so later, only to get broken again after a while. And once you were logged in, certain parts of the website could not render. But that could not be fixed by changing browsers because my Pi-hole installation was blocking their crap and I was in no mood to whitelist anything in there.
At the moment, 2 years later, their website works somewhat, at least the bill paying part. And all because they redesigned it. I understand the flashy parts in the public facing pages but once I'm logged in I want none of that crap. The main profile and billing page should work in elinks for crying out loud.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
I do this poo poo for a decent living and I'm always slightly triggered seeing some 2020 UI refresh load a jQuery dependency to accomplish who-knows-what.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I feel like web design has been regressing at an increasingly accelerating pace. A browser tab taking more RAM and processor power than my entire desktop environment is ridiculous. Accessibility has deteriorated to the point that it feels like web devs actively hate anyone not as able-bodied as themselves.

Also, anyone who deduces the language of the user from geoip instead of the locale string should be thrown into a volcano.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

There should be some kind of corollary to Moore's law, stating that any gains from Moore's law will immediately be lost to sloppy programmers who utilize those gains to be lazy and completely forgo optimization

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 09:53 on May 30, 2020

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Optimisation costs the company money. Other people's CPU time doesn't.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

rndmnmbr posted:

There should be some kind of corollary to Moore's law, stating that any gains from Moore's law will immediately be lost to sloppy programmers who utilize those gains to be lazy and completely forgo optimization

That's Wirth's law

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Obfuscated CSS is my main web annoyance. It's bad enough that your lame website has my browser making 50 ajax requests and loading a hundred javascript libraries, but you're forbidding me from tweaking any of it with userscripts or custom styles?

I get it, it's to gently caress with ad blockers. But regardless, :fuckoff:

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
I occasionally obfuscate javascript to slim it down and to deter script-kiddy attacks, but I'm fully aware this is not a valid way to protect intellectual property or prevent hacking attempts. It does help reduce the output buffer size.

I find if I'm using a library that isn't something like Moment.js, or MouseTrap, or one of the many simple tempting solutions out there, that I may need to revisit my methodology.

Then there are the simple PHP libraries that compel the use of Composer...

xzzy posted:

Obfuscated CSS is my main web annoyance. It's bad enough that your lame website has my browser making 50 ajax requests and loading a hundred javascript libraries, but you're forbidding me from tweaking any of it with userscripts or custom styles?

I compress (not obfuscate) CSS on the fly using a backend library to save a little bandwidth, but what you're saying I think is why we can't block poo poo on New Twitter anymore with their random classnames.

Balsa
May 10, 2020

Turbo Nerd

xzzy posted:

There are several UI frameworks that "Compile" CSS into a cluster gently caress of code. I would suspect this is more commonly the case then manual tomfoolery

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

My boss is technical enough to know how to do stuff, but not technical enough to figure out what the real problem is or what's the right thing to do.

We had one of our two biggest applications start getting blocked by the firewall for an invalid certificate this weekend. They had a Sectigo cert...

So he whitelists the domain.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Talking to a buddy of mine who works at my "2 jobs previous" AWFUL_JOB , they are bringing people back to work in small groups.

He asked the owner of the company about letting people work from home permanently, she said: "I can't say no to those people, things are changing. But they are going to have to take a pay cut. They are spending less on gas driving into work..."

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

Antigravitas posted:

I feel like web design has been regressing at an increasingly accelerating pace. A browser tab taking more RAM and processor power than my entire desktop environment is ridiculous. Accessibility has deteriorated to the point that it feels like web devs actively hate anyone not as able-bodied as themselves.

Also, anyone who deduces the language of the user from geoip instead of the locale string should be thrown into a volcano.

It really boils down to "web devs actively hate anyone that is not themselves".

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

He asked the owner of the company about letting people work from home permanently, she said: "I can't say no to those people, things are changing. But they are going to have to take a pay cut. They are spending less on gas driving into work..."

Lol, no. If any of them are high risk for any reason the ADA protects them. Some lawyer will eat him for lunch.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

buttchugging adderall posted:

It really boils down to "web devs actively hate anyone that is not themselves".

Nah piss off with this sort of generalisation. Same as not all sysadmins are BOsFH.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ah sweet christ our senior team are panicking that gently caress all revenue is coming in and seem to think that having consumer customers is going to help with that :gonk:. It makes tons of sense to need to do 20 jobs to make the same amount of profit as one business customer project can provide.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Why the gently caress is everyone out of PSUs? Damnit all.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Coworker just asked if anyone has used Slack. A client would like to use that instead of Teams. Why you may ask? Well you see this is client is the management portion of a nationwide fitness club and they gave out the password for O365 to install the software at a few clubs instead of buying licenses. So those accounts are compromised for any kind of communications privacy, so they need another, like Slack.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Even if you give out the passwords to accounts, it will only let you have 5 devices active per account. I'm not doubting, it just sounds even dumber than it sounds on it's face, which is amazing.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Pretty sure the Slack licensing is more expensive than just fixing the Office 365 license problem but gently caress it, I'm not a big brained member of senior leadership

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Pretty sure the Slack licensing is more expensive than just fixing the Office 365 license problem but gently caress it, I'm not a big brained member of senior leadership

Slack is free even for commercial purposes, depending on the feature set you want.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Virigoth posted:

Why the gently caress is everyone out of PSUs? Damnit all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0whCHfejM18

About 2-3 weeks for a Corsair SF600, and 2 months or so for a SF750.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's one of the reasons why I went with a SF450 for my new build, I could actually get it.

And you know what, it's fine. Ryzen 3700x, GTX1080, 32gb of ram, and 3 SSDs and it barely gets the fan moving under load full load (running Furmark and Prime95 simultaneously). Crazy how power efficient stuff is now.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

poo poo pissing me off: mandatory all hands Teams-meeting at SEVEN THIRTY AM tomorrow.

That's basically oh dark thirty. :aaaaa:

(I generally work 9-5...)

((At least I'm fairly confident it's not layoffs, we're doing ok even with the pandemic, and if they laid me off, they'd also lose their biggest automation customer overnight so heh))

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

bull3964 posted:

It's one of the reasons why I went with a SF450 for my new build, I could actually get it.

And you know what, it's fine. Ryzen 3700x, GTX1080, 32gb of ram, and 3 SSDs and it barely gets the fan moving under load full load (running Furmark and Prime95 simultaneously). Crazy how power efficient stuff is now.

I have a GTX 1650 Super and it would occasionally reset on an old Corsair CS550M. The fan on the GPU died so I RMA'd it to MSI and it's sitting in their delivery room due to CA shutdown. Company bought an RTX 2060 to replace it and it resets on almost any GPU work whatsoever. So order a replacement PSU as this thing is like 7 years old, and stuck on backorder.

7 year old CPU, motherboard, 8GB RAM, 1 × SSD. I already replaced a GTX 760 GPU that was in it, and a Corsair AIO block.

I have some gigantic rack based PC on order to replace the whole system, together with far too many other SoC TV's and digital signage boxes.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Wibla posted:

poo poo pissing me off: mandatory all hands Teams-meeting at SEVEN THIRTY AM tomorrow.

((At least I'm fairly confident it's not layoffs, we're doing ok even with the pandemic, and if they laid me off, they'd also lose their biggest automation customer overnight so heh))

If you've decided to attend then make sure you also clock off early

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Wibla posted:

Pyjamas, unshaven, coffee mug in hand.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

If you've decided to attend then make sure you also clock off early

It's mandatory, so... I'll have to

Moo the cow posted:

Pyjamas, unshaven, coffee mug in hand.

Aaand we have a winner!

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Wibla posted:

Look, you're just going to have be flexible, like all of us are. What's that? You want me to stay late in order to accommodate your schedule, since every other time things have been scheduled early to accommodate other people? Absolutely not, I won't stay late.

I finally put my foot down with that poo poo at one point with my boss (I don't mind having to come in early a couple times a month, but it had gotten to 2-3 times a week). Still nothing I can do about the all-hands, though.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Wibla posted:

Comments like this always make me nervous on others’ behalf.

Layoffs are batch hatchet jobs that eliminate large swathes of the corporate population and it is very easy to get gathered up into “Column A stays, column B goes”. I can’t think of an employee who, right before being laid off, thought “yeah if I get laid off it makes sense because I’m pretty redundant.”

If they laid you off they might lose their biggest customer or they might not. Or they might not be aware of this risk until after you are laid off at which point you are still laid off.

No one is safe during lay-off time. No one.

But your all-hands ain’t about layoffs so it’s all good. Right?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Agrikk posted:

Comments like this always make me nervous on others’ behalf.

Layoffs are batch hatchet jobs that eliminate large swathes of the corporate population and it is very easy to get gathered up into “Column A stays, column B goes”. I can’t think of an employee who, right before being laid off, thought “yeah if I get laid off it makes sense because I’m pretty redundant.”

If they laid you off they might lose their biggest customer or they might not. Or they might not be aware of this risk until after you are laid off at which point you are still laid off.

No one is safe during lay-off time. No one.

But your all-hands ain’t about layoffs so it’s all good. Right?

:same:

Being infosec leadership I am privy to basically all communication about layoffs. We have had a few in the last 6 months. I would wager a great majority of them thought they were vital. Some of them might have been! They were laid off just the same.

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE executives leadership's ruthlessness when it comes to keeping payroll down in order to protect profits. We gave out quarterly rewards last week. A good chunk of those people will be part of the layoffs. I would wager that some of these leaders would lay off their own mothers if it meant they retained their bonuses.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

MrMoo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0whCHfejM18

About 2-3 weeks for a Corsair SF600, and 2 months or so for a SF750.

Thanks for this, had some interesting tidbits in it and sated my rage.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

The building I work in was closed yesterday and is closed today. Users in other offices still have access to the ticketing system.

Someone put in 22 separation tickets and none of them have been touched.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

dragonshardz posted:

The building I work in was closed yesterday and is closed today. Users in other offices still have access to the ticketing system.

Someone put in 22 separation tickets and none of them have been touched.

Wait separation as in being let go?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Zil posted:

Wait separation as in being let go?

Yup.

E: To clarify, I don't work for the same company as Wibla.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Classic ASP is still rear end, but worse is the seemingly black box nature of the project for me. I have an API to call, four test things, three that return the same error, and a rapidly approaching deadline.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

dragonshardz posted:

Yup.

E: To clarify, I don't work for the same company as Wibla.

Calling it 'separation' is a new era of HR-speak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

Calling it 'separation' is a new era of HR-speak
It's a term that encompasses people leaving the organization, whether quitting, being laid off, being fired, dying, whatever. Is there a more common, less euphemistic term for that? I'm not aware of one.