Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

fatnoodlesfarting posted:

Northern Virginia here. Since someone asked to share experiences thought I would post :)

Truly sorry for your loss and stress. It's enraging when people pretend like this only affects and kills old and vulnerable people as if its okay to write them off like an acceptable loss. Motherfucker I care for people that are old and vulnerable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

Estonia, not Latvia. As soon as your step off the ferry in Tallinn there is just liquor store after liquor store selling cases and cases of alcohol to Finns who proceed to spend a night getting hosed up in the old town before turning around and going back to Helsinki with their half-price alcohol.

Finland is a magical place and is the only country to have figured out dish-drying right:

Tallinn was getting too pricey because they started to up taxes and Finns started to go to Latvia instead. You can bring pretty much as much liquor as you can carry from any EU country.

The Soviets had similar racks in apartments.

Serf
May 5, 2011

my grandpa had the covid test yesterday and now the nurses won't go into his room. we had to bring food to him because no one would bring anything to him. not a mask in sight from any doctor or nurse still

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Family friend has been on a vent for over a week, unlikely to make it. In his late 70s.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
these protests are like the leftist version of fundy churches holding mass

I'm not looking forward to seeing how the virus spreads alongside the unrest :(

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020

Northern Virginia here. Since someone asked to share experiences thought I would post :)

The pandemic has already "hit home" for our family, so to speak - my cousin (actually my mom's cousin but I grew up referring to him as "my" cousin) died in early April. He had Down's Syndrome and began suffering from early onset dementia this past year. His parents died a year ago and his brother's family was taking care of him but were struggling mightily and in January put him into a state home. The disease ripped through the home sometime in mid to late March and he ended up being rushed to the hospital with a high fever and breathing struggles. Apparently given the shortage of ventilators the hospital told the family that he wasn't eligible for one and he died alone, without any family with him, in the hospital.

It really pisses me off when the chuds or whoever brush off deaths like this, of older or weaker people, as not a big deal. What is particularly galling to me about this whole thing is that my cousin was passionately all about his family and the small little community in the rural town where they lived that cared for him. When he got sick no one was there to see him or help him. He was incredibly confused and devastated when his parents died and I can't imagine how he was feeling during this ordeal. Yes, he was going downhill with the dementia but this was a particularly cruel and unfair hand to be dealt at the end of his life. And now he has been dead for more than a month - a remembrance may happen sometime in the distant future, maybe not, but without any kind of funeral it feels like he just unceremoniously dropped off the face of the Earth. No kids to pass on his legacy, no celebration of his life, barely even a discussion of it except for some horrified phone calls and emails. Lack of face to face with anyone outside our immediate household is so bizarre.

Maybe thats why I had the urge to post this - it at least feels like I'm talking to someone, even strangers, acknowledging it outside of my immediate family and closest friends.

I live in a more distant suburb of Washington. My area is mostly Hispanic/African American and MOST of the people here are taking the pandemic pretty seriously still. I ran to the ABC today for some emergency essentials after not having been out at all for a few weeks and everyone in the store and around it were masked and distancing. The people who are NOT following the rules around here seem to be (surprise!) the older fatter white people with the expensive pick up trucks. I almost swerved off the road with shock when I saw the crappy Tex-Mex place frequented almost exclusively by the older white crowd jam packed, parking overflowing to an adjacent lot. Packed patio, no masks. Meanwhile, the dozens of other vastly superior Mexican places are still closed or take out only.

Notice the same difference with the grocery stores. The few times I have ventured out to our craphole Safeway I run into several older white men not distancing, not masked. Safeway in our area hasn't even bothered to ensure all their employees have masks or to enforce any kind of safety measures (a marked contrast from the Safeway in the wealthy area of the nearby city where I work). Our Safeway also has had shortages on almost everything. Contrast that with the Asian grocery store nearby in which they actually make sure people are wearing masks in the store, provide guidance for appropriate social distancing and my spouse was able to find paper towels and eggs there a few weeks ago!

People are really being squeezed in our area as costs have been rising for a while and pricing people out. They just shut down two trailer parks and people are fighting efforts to build low income housing nearby to make up for it. I think about 60% of kids at the local elementary are entitled for free lunches, I don't know what is being done to ensure these children are getting what they need. A lot of the local churches are doing food drives and there are big lines which is extremely depressing to see. Then we have the mansions and gated communities less than a mile away from some of these churches. I was once followed while driving through one of these neighborhoods by some weird vigilante and they are always the ones complaining on Next Door about every petty little thing - usually poop, noise and "those people" daring to go to the public parks near them or walking "suspiciously" near their property. Nowadays its the freedom-crushing horrors of being expected to wear masks around town. All while people are dying and there are food lines down the street. Seriously, gently caress these people.

Well, that's my little rant and sorry for the length. tldr: Sad family death. Annoyed by usual suspects around town not taking things seriously.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Maybe thats why I had the urge to post this - it at least feels like I'm talking to someone, even strangers, acknowledging it outside of my immediate family and closest friends.

I'm truly sorry for your loss, that's heartbreaking, and I'm sure your cousin was an excellent person.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Ardennes posted:

Tallinn was getting too pricey because they started to up taxes and Finns started to go to Latvia instead. You can bring pretty much as much liquor as you can carry from any EU country.

Aww, sad to hear that - Tallinn was a good time with all the Finns. Latvia still had the Lat when I was there, makes sense they'd be the new target now that they're folded in more.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

fosborb posted:

the only response to this as a kid is "you should see the other guy"

this is exactly what i told the ER docs when they wheeled me in after getting hit by a semi in high school, lol

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gunshow Poophole posted:

yeah it's gonna get really hosed in about two weeks

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Gunshow Poophole posted:

as important as these protests are, and as happy as I am to see them, this dread is definitely hanging over everything. June/July are going to be awful.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

my company announced today that our 25% salary cuts are going away starting in the 6/1 - 6/15 pay period. gently caress YEA

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Gunshow Poophole posted:

hey at least the protests are outdoors, the Japanese study said its way safer!

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

https://twitter.com/JonathanTamari/status/1266376032271007749

lol hoo boy if this has been running around the Senate for a while

Gonna go out on a limb and say maybe he had one of the regular rear end coronaviruses and the garbage covid antibody tests have cross reactivity to it. Or it's a false positive.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Family friend has been on a vent for over a week, unlikely to make it. In his late 70s.

poo poo dude I'm sorry

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

Iron Crowned posted:

Ohio hates Pittsburgh, so this doesn't check out

I hate my brother, but we're still family

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Natural cures they don't want you to know about.

Lady Militant posted:

A great personal covid-19 story

Pump Jockey posted:

I work at a small California university...

univbee posted:

This is in Canada. The uni where I work is making a formal decision about what it will do beginning of next week...

[quote="U-DO Burger" post="505211647"]
the store accidentally hired a convicted child rapist :stare:

Luckyellow posted:

After I got laid off from my restaurant job here in Austin, I managed to nab a job with the city public transportation here few weeks later wiping down the buses...

[A heartbreaking story about losing a relative]

Thank you cspam goons for sharing your stories. I am overwhelmed by the response and I feel closer to all of you. I truly think those few pages and these posts are some of the best in the thread. It is so much better itt and in the world when we post about our lives and our experiences because we know we are not alone.

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Natural cures they don't want you to know about.
Please keep sharing.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Just a reminder that half or more of the deaths in many states are in assisted living facilities, and every single one could have been saved. All they had to do was do what China did: Lock the facilities down, make the caregivers stay in the homes with the residents - shouldn't be loving hard these are basically hotels, or at least commandeer a nearby hotel so they can be kept isolated. Pay them overtime, hazard pay, or put a gun to their face, whatever, just make sure the virus doesn't get in. No new medical technology or 3d printing or blockchain wonderdrugs needed. Most of them are probably immigrants and minority women making barely minimum wage anyway, how much of that $4T do you need to just pay them $20/hr instead of $8? . A couple of places in France and in CT did this and had zero covid deaths in their facilities.

But America's face culture means you can't do anything that will make you look weak, so at least 50,000 people gotta die.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Throatwarbler posted:

Just a reminder that half or more of the deaths in many states are in assisted living facilities, and every single one could have been saved. All they had to do was do what China did: Lock the facilities down, make the caregivers stay in the homes with the residents - shouldn't be loving hard these are basically hotels, or at least commandeer a nearby hotel so they can be kept isolated. Pay them overtime, hazard pay, or put a gun to their face, whatever, just make sure the virus doesn't get in. No new medical technology or 3d printing or blockchain wonderdrugs needed. Most of them are probably immigrants and minority women making barely minimum wage anyway, how much of that $4T do you need to just pay them $20/hr instead of $8? . A couple of places in France and in CT did this and had zero covid deaths in their facilities.

But America's face culture means you can't do anything that will make you look weak, so at least 50,000 people gotta die.

neoliberalism was and is always going to fail to do anything and kill lots of people. we aren't even going to end the first wave

it was ~inevitable~

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Throatwarbler posted:

Deal from strength or get crushed every time.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Throatwarbler posted:

lots of places care about face and have face culture

in fact, the word "face" is a semantic calque from the Chinese word 臉. the reputation/prestige meaning of "face" didn't exist in English until the late 1800s.

the difference is, in most places, saving face means you gotta keep your citizens alive, whereas in the US, saving face means owning the libs

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Dems getting in the way of my Trumpbux? KAG2020

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

as important as these protests are, and as happy as I am to see them, this dread is definitely hanging over everything. June/July are going to be awful.

capital will absolutely use it to blame the "second" wave and massive uptick in deaths (as much as the numbers won't get suppressed)

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Salt Fish posted:

Deal from strength or get crushed every time.

well... SOMEONE is getting crushed every time

it's just never the right or powerful

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

My Gimmick Name posted:

capital will absolutely use it to blame the "second" wave and massive uptick in deaths (as much as the numbers won't get suppressed)

oh absolutely. it is going to kill any narrative about opening up being a cause of upticks across the country, and instead all be focused back on the Bad People in the cities who rioted unfairly and spread the disease to the poor innocent folk of the nation. America will never close again.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1266315358442487810?s=20

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Gunshow Poophole posted:

well... SOMEONE is getting crushed every time

it's just never the right or powerful

Yes, because they deal from strength

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Lol unexpected to who?

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008

oh absolutely. it is going to kill any narrative about opening up being a cause of upticks across the country, and instead all be focused back on the Bad People in the cities who rioted unfairly and spread the disease to the poor innocent folk of the nation. America will never close again.

Cases are likely already going to be UP week-over-week as of today. We should take charge of the narrative now before any increase can be attributed to the protests.

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

Cases are likely already going to be UP week-over-week as of today. We should take charge of the narrative now before any increase can be attributed to the protests.

the local radio here in california conservative hell was sharing the feel good stories of going out to eat today. oh how they delighted in being served by the underclass directly once more(the host himself of course had not gone out yet lol)

only thing that might change the inertia at this point for them would be bodies being stacked on their individual door steps, and even then they would likely just step around

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

COVID-420 posted:

Please keep sharing.

Everything is relatively sane here in the antipodes but have a pic of a ringtail possum I met last night.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

24,000 cases

Opened her up! All good!

Innocuous
Mar 1, 2003

It's a strange world.

rising high chance of republicans delivering another round of stimulus payments in the fall as people are in incredibly deep poo poo and buying the election

kater
Nov 16, 2010

so what exactly was the sherbet in chief’s big executive dinglehopper meant to do if meat hell’s are still getting closed?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

was listening to the London review podcast today and someone had a long piece about pandemics being a catalyst for social change, and we will likely look back at this and remember the changes/events it wrought,
rather than the pandemic itself

sure feels that way

gamer roomie is 41
May 3, 2020

:)

Whoolighams posted:

Truly sorry for your loss and stress. It's enraging when people pretend like this only affects and kills old and vulnerable people as if its okay to write them off like an acceptable loss. Motherfucker I care for people that are old and vulnerable

It's also weird that for some reason "over 65" as the danger zone translates to "welp they were on the way out anyway" to a lot of people?? If some 70 year old dies, that's someone who could have had another comfortable, fun two decades with their families. Everyone knows someone these days who's like 88 and still sassy and active. Suddenly these 65 year olds in the likely fatality models are like assumed to be people who were already drifting away and then corona finished the job? Doesn't make sense.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

gamer roomie is 41 posted:

It's also weird that for some reason "over 65" as the danger zone translates to "welp they were on the way out anyway" to a lot of people?? If some 70 year old dies, that's someone who could have had another comfortable, fun two decades with their families. Everyone knows someone these days who's like 88 and still sassy and active. Suddenly these 65 year olds in the likely fatality models are like assumed to be people who were already drifting away and then corona finished the job? Doesn't make sense.

just point out that our entire government is made up of geriatrics including our president

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

SKULL.GIF posted:

Play "My Summer Car"

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Ardennes posted:

i loved Tallinn. Latvia and Lithuania were pretty drat cool too. that’s been almost 17 or 18 years ago that I got to go though.

edit: also lol while making the lowest legal wage that wasn’t tip supplemented. worked out to like 4 or 5 bucks a hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I'm so sorry for anyone who has lost people close to them during this pandemic, due to Covid 19

If it makes you feel better, Boris Johnson is doing great and so is Donald Trump, and really most populist leaders all over the world