Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Arrrthritis posted:

Please !Clap

:perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Jeb used !Clap and the crowd stayed asleep.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Been on an FF kick recently and it’s high time I did another run, so count me in. Not quite yet, though.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
How long after pre-registration does the event usually start?

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Spelling Mitsake posted:

How long after pre-registration does the event usually start?
The website says the runs are "tentatively scheduled for mid-June".

No idea how much those projected schedules normally slip though.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It's been pretty consistent ever since I started paying attention. All bets are off for this year, though.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

fool of sound posted:

My custom ruleset, something I call Super Natural, is a pretty fun variant: each character gets two jobs at random, from any crystal, no dupes. Each character can only ever use their two specific jobs. This gives each character a strong identify, and guarantees versatility, but also doesn't let you abuse one powerful job as hard by giving it to everyone. I usually do a run of it after my official chaos run each year.

This seems like a ruleset that could be tweaked to improve ff6 and ff7.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

FeyerbrandX posted:

My preference would be 750 or purechaos.

Can 750 stil l roll dupes? My first 4JF clear was a wm, wm, bm, geo 750 team and while it became a cakewalk after the fire crystal, having to do liquid flame with 4 white mages is hell and involves a lot of stacking hits to hope you keep liquid flame in the right form (hand, I think?) to keep the fight manageable.

If dupes are no longer possible, then team 750 is definitely a setup that can't go wrong. Unless dupes are possible and you end up with all white mages. which would be a hell of a slog.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Evil Fluffy posted:

Can 750 stil l roll dupes? My first 4JF clear was a wm, wm, bm, geo 750 team and while it became a cakewalk after the fire crystal, having to do liquid flame with 4 white mages is hell and involves a lot of stacking hits to hope you keep liquid flame in the right form (hand, I think?) to keep the fight manageable.

If dupes are no longer possible, then team 750 is definitely a setup that can't go wrong. Unless dupes are possible and you end up with all white mages. which would be a hell of a slog.

I think dupes are only possible on Chaos and Classic, right?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Ace Transmuter posted:

I think dupes are only possible on Chaos and Classic, right?

Correct.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

This seems like a ruleset that could be tweaked to improve ff6 and ff7.

I did something like it when I replayed FF6 most recently. I called it the "Esper Attunement" run.

The idea is that each Esper can only be used by a certain number of characters--outside of those characters, nobody else can use it, meaning they can't learn its spells or get its level-up stat bonuses. The first time I did it, I sorta broke the Espers into three tiers based on how powerful their spells/bonuses were. The weakest Espers could be used by up to three characters; the middle Espers by up to two; and the best could only ever be used by one character. It didn't really make the game harder, necessarily, but it did lead to me actually specializing characters and "building" them to be strong in specific ways. It also meant that I got a lot more use out of characters' unique abilities--Strago's blue magic meant I didn't have to waste many spellcasting Espers on him because he had magic of his own, and similarly Edgar's tools and Sabin's blitzes took over for magic for them as well. I focused a lot on Locke having high HP so he could get good damage out of the Valiant Knife. Celes, Terra, and Relm got to be my main spellcasters because of their naturally higher magic stats.

It was pretty fun all around. Not all that hard, but it added more decision-making and made each character feel very distinct all the way up to the end, which I appreciated. Next time I might go all the way and just make it so that every Esper can only ever be "attuned" to one character so I really, really have to specialize right from the start.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 26, 2020

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Harrow posted:

I did something like it when I replayed FF6 most recently. I called it the "Esper Attunement" run.

The idea is that each Esper can only be used by a certain number of characters--outside of those characters, nobody else can use it, meaning they can't learn its spells or get its level-up stat bonuses. The first time I did it, I sorta broke the Espers into three tiers based on how powerful their spells/bonuses were. The weakest Espers could be used by up to three characters; the middle Espers by up to two; and the best could only ever be used by one character. It didn't really make the game harder, necessarily, but it did lead to me actually specializing characters and "building" them to be strong in specific ways. It also meant that I got a lot more use out of characters' unique abilities--Strago's blue magic meant I didn't have to waste many spellcasting Espers on him because he had magic of his own, and similarly Edgar's tools and Sabin's blitzes took over for magic for them as well. I focused a lot on Locke having high HP so he could get good damage out of the Valiant Knife. Celes, Terra, and Relm got to be my main spellcasters because of their naturally higher magic stats.

It was pretty fun all around. Not all that hard, but it added more decision-making and made each character feel very distinct all the way up to the end, which I appreciated. Next time I might go all the way and just make it so that every Esper can only ever be "attuned" to one character so I really, really have to specialize right from the start.

It's a bit of an edge case but I believe you can do this with the FF6 randomizer, Beyond Chaos. You can use as few or as many codes as you want, so in theory you could only use the Esper Allocator code to get random Espers.

Every Esper has at least, and usually only, one person that can equip it. Some of the Espers can have multiple users, and some characters can have multiple Espers assigned to them. There might be tweaks to it at this point, I'd have to ask in the Discord.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Oh, also here is the ff5 running guide I wrote, for anyone who wants to unleash the power of the chicken knife.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Harrow posted:

The Brave New World mod did this pretty well, I think each esper can only be equipped by two characters. It ensured a pretty good mix of healers, physical DD, and magic DD for each section of the game. I played it a few years ago, so I'm sure it's completely different by now (I remember them tinkering with it quite a bit between revs) but worth checking out.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I think I might give this a shot this year. Doing a test run to see if I can pull it off and have the patience for it. Found this site -https://ffv.thinknathan.ca/ and used it for a test run and pulled monk/time/geo/sam. Not much damage, but I can cure rod the time mage to heal, so it's relatively safe. :shepface:

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Is there a post full of the hot mods and randomizers available, if we want to make a run or two a bit more spicy?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

StrangeAeon posted:

Is there a post full of the hot mods and randomizers available, if we want to make a run or two a bit more spicy?

http://fourjobfiesta.com/help.php has the 'standard' rulesets.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

StrangeAeon posted:

The Fan Art Post has links to two mods by Can Of Worms between the 2014 and 2015 sections.

Also, though it's not listed, I made a Double AP Patch for the GBA version.

And then there's Project Demi for the SNES version.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Don't make me be the only one to sully the 2020 fanart.

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

Do we know anything about the RUN yet? is our friend coming back?

also, if you aint riskin, you aint livin

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Considering doing #Natural #RegRandNo750 this year.

The first (and last) time I did the Fiesta, I believe I got Thief/Mystic Knight/Ninja/Chemist, so I didn't get any challenge at all. :v:

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Pollyanna posted:

Considering doing #Natural

Don't.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ok not natural then!

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

Friends don't let Friends play natural.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Pollyanna posted:

Ok not natural then!

To clarify without the flippancy, the issue with Natural is that it short-circuits the entire premise of FFV in general - that is, cross-pollinating job abilities to make interesting combinations.

For example, you may wonder why Equip Harps gets thrown around as a superlative passive to stick on a Berserker, since harps are lovely weapons, but what you're really passing down with that is the Bard's excellent Agility and decent Magic scores, which shore up weaknesses in the Berserker class (32 Agility and 35 Magic vs 15 Agility and 1 Magic). Their endgame weapon, the Rune Axe, greatly benefits from the extra magic score, and Equip Harps literally more doubles their Agility, resulting in a nearly 20% increase in turn economy.

Without Natural you can't do any of that interesting and clever stuff, and that's so dumb. It doesn't add to difficulty, it adds to tedium (and most gamers are bad at distinguishing the two).

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I like the idea of a character’s job being inherent to them, but I agree, that’s a bad fit for FF5. RandNo750 works for me.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

You can require each character to use their own crystal's job for NED. Sometimes that doesn't make a difference, but if you get some of the more expensive jobs and don't want to grind AP for hours, it might matter.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Sunday is the day we begin!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
RK has to tell us the name of the new run tag by then, right?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Yep. It's still going to be about two weeks until the actual Fiesta starts, but we'll need all of the registration options before then.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

What was last year's new run modifier, anyway? I know the advance jobs got decoupled from the void gimmick, but I don't remember if there was anything else.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Cattail Prophet posted:

What was last year's new run modifier, anyway? I know the advance jobs got decoupled from the void gimmick, but I don't remember if there was anything else.

#REGADVANCE

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

Cattail Prophet posted:

#Winner that gave you the jobs that won a series of polls RK did pre-Fiesta. I forgot what the actual composition was, but it was able to sleepwalk through the game for the most part.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Just as soon as I can, I'll be tweeting @ff5forfutures #regchaos #BERSERKERRISK :black101:

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Kheldarn posted:

Just as soon as I can, I'll be tweeting @ff5forfutures #regchaos #BERSERKERRISK :black101:

:yeah:
Hopefully I'll actually get through some runs this year.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/1266934896187998211

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Interesting!

Side note, shoot, I totally forgot I wanted to play Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light or Octopath Traveller this year before the run starts (as I'd completed all the Bravely Defaults in the same way for years past). Oh well, at least there was the BD2 demo earlier this year.

StrangeAeon posted:

My :toxx: is almost certainly coming back this year if you want to wait on a randomizer run, although it might not be as spicy as you'd like (hmm...).

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

it'd be nice to not do Child's Play for once, I might actually spend money this year

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Sounds like you have some money to spend then.

https://twitter.com/revenantkioku/status/1267046548476575744

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Preregistration is open! :getin: