Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Fast food jobs are more about pushing the employee as hard as possible with little help until you break and are eventually replaced.

I doubt there are jobs more stressful relative to its compensation

Retail pharmacy. Or they’re sure as poo poo trying to push as hard as possible without alerting patients to how likely something will be hosed up because of exhausted workers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think retail and fast food are basically interchangeable

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think retail and fast food are basically interchangeable

Fast food and Retail have a lot in common. You're given instructions and a time limit. Following the instructions to the letter will take twice the time limit and result in punishment. Cutting corners will, if it gets caught, result in punishment also. Do either one enough times and your job is at risk. Also they both hire more employees than they can give satisfactory hours to, so every one of your coworkers is incentivizedto be a super-lovely narc so they can take your hours.

The part that makes Fast Food more psychologically taxing is that there are also human consequences. If the Target shelves aren't wiped down perfectly nothing will happen, but if your dish pit has to turn around a whole restaurant worth of dishes and equipment every hour, eventually you'll be serving up norovirus because 4.2 seconds per dish through a 3 compartment sink won't get anything clean. And then people get sick.

I've managed both. Both are nightmares.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is Baghdad Bob still alive? I’m sure he could use some work and definitely wouldn’t have any moral qualms with working for Amazon.

Baghdad Bob memes were the best.

:corsair:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Plastik posted:

I've managed both. Both are nightmares.

I've worked and managed both myself, but nothing holds a candle to when I worked for RGIS, those folks you see doing inventory in retail stores.

You get a few days of paid "training", which consists of watching some videos and two days of practice runs in a K-mart. Except my trainer no-call-no-showed for one of the hands-on trainings, so here's a dozen of us trainees standing outside K-mart for an hour wondering WTF. She finally answers someone's text, says "just go home, sorry, don't worry you'll all still get paid" --- and doesn't schedule another training session, just sticks us the field the next day.

The handheld scanners we got were completely different than the ones we practiced on, and both us newbies and the vets had issues with them connecting to the system. Imagine scanning and then manually counting 100 pairs of jeans, only to hit "send" and have the the scanner say "BOOP, error, you just wasted half an hour".

Meanwhile you are on an extremely strict quota, like if you aren't counting fast enough you'll lose your job (and the site managers can see your count in real time and will harangue you for not going fast enough, even if it's your first day). Have to use the bathroom? Better make it as quick as possible because your count-per-minute, which is constantly blinking on the scanner, is dropping like a stone while you're taking a quick piss after all that coffee you drank to be up at 3am.

You can't ask for help with your defective scanner because everyone else is busy trying to make their quotas. It was easily the most kill-or-be-killed environment I've ever worked. I lasted three days in the field before sending them an email tendering my resignation.

Ooof, sorry for the derail post. My point to this novella being: this is what I imagine working for an Amazon warehouse must be like, but Amazon must be even worse. At least the Macy's I was in had decent HVAC.

tl, dr: Don't ever work for RGIS, I guarantee it is not worth $9/hr. There's a reason they're always putting out "help wanted" ads on Craigslist.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Is Baghdad Bob still alive? I’m sure he could use some work and definitely wouldn’t have any moral qualms with working for Amazon.

Looks like as of 2008, he was reported as living in the UAE. As far as Wikipedia knows, he's still alive and apparently staying out of the limelight.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

A man has to have some limit, some line he will not cross.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/brosandprose/status/1266390130404794372?s=19

https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/1266393201730039808?s=19

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

It's edited now.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Plastik posted:

It's edited now.

I know. That's why I posted Rowling's tweet. I thought it was fake until I saw her own tweet talking about it.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I've worked and managed both myself, but nothing holds a candle to when I worked for RGIS, those folks you see doing inventory in retail stores.

[stories of absolute horror :stonk: ]

tl, dr: Don't ever work for RGIS, I guarantee it is not worth $9/hr. There's a reason they're always putting out "help wanted" ads on Craigslist.

That sounds like a literal nightmare.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/Ethelmonster/status/1267571073895235584

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

lol figured they would delete it.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Their tweets are also automatically posted by SocialFlow every 30 minutes on the dot, so they're doing literally nothing.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/Redskins/status/1267918269798850563

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Not the most egregious team.

https://twitter.com/49ers/status/1267846500064784384?s=20

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I can see why it’s rich that the Redskins would post about anti-racism, but what makes the San Francisco post notable?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I can see why it’s rich that the Redskins would post about anti-racism, but what makes the San Francisco post notable?

https://twitter.com/ceebee897/status/1267849294025015296?s=21

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Ben and Jerry’s did it right

https://twitter.com/benandjerrys/status/1267875868673794048?s=21

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I stopped watching NFL before the Kaepernick kneeling thing, but do people really believe that he got blackballed from the league?

An alternate explanation for why he isn't playing in the NFL currently was that he wasn't really that great of a quarterback. He was still kind of a young quarterback when I still watched NFL, but at the time he really wasn't a star player, and the years his 49ers team did well were mostly because of the defense.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

silence_kit posted:

I stopped watching NFL before the Kaepernick kneeling thing, but do people really believe that he got blackballed from the league?

An alternate explanation for why he isn't playing in the NFL currently was that he wasn't really that great of a quarterback. He was still kind of a young quarterback when I still watched NFL, but at the time he really wasn't a star player, and the years his 49ers team did well were mostly because of the defense.

I don't watch sports at all but watch the Jon Bois Pretty Good video on Kaepernick. Summary: he was better than half the other starting quarterbacks. If they can have jobs, why not him?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

silence_kit posted:

He could start for a bunch of teams, and even if you disagree, to think he’s not worthy of even a backup QB spot is delusional

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

lord funk posted:

I don't watch sports at all but watch the Jon Bois Pretty Good video on Kaepernick. Summary: he was better than half the other starting quarterbacks. If they can have jobs, why not him?

Last year some mediocre QB was arrested for beating the poo poo out of his GF and his team was all "He's struggling but we'll stand by him" and people rightly pointed out that the QB was much worse on paper then Kaepernick yet still kept his job despite beating women.

Colin Kaepernick was blackballed from the NFL by the cowardly billionaires who didn't want any negative attention to their bloodsport and because of a twitter president who attacked him publicly every chance he could. Colin gave up his future as a millionaire athlete to stand for something and the right wing is desperately trying to convince people he was a lovely player to undermine his outreach.

pentyne has a new favorite as of 03:41 on Jun 3, 2020

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

silence_kit posted:

here you go, dumbass

quote:

Colin Kaepernick was not bounced by NFL team owners because of his skill. He was not bounced because of salary demands. And he was not bounced because he wanted a starting job. No, he was rejected by NFL team owners because he became a financial liability, kneeling for social justice and igniting a telling firestorm with President Donald Trump.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

silence_kit posted:

Are you incredibly naive, stupid, or a chud? Be truthful.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

silence_kit posted:

Yes, because he very obviously did.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Looking forward to trying Black Lives (Brownie) Batter.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Knormal posted:

Looking forward to trying Black Lives (Brownie) Batter.

no lie, b+j is one of the few companies that takes both a big stand and puts their money where their mouth is. even past the manifesto in the tweet they've had a foundation giving out grants for decades

to be clear i'm far from one to defend companies by default but can you imagine seeing this on literally any other statement from a corporation

norton I
May 1, 2008

His Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton I

Emperor of these United States

Protector of Mexico

Bobby Digital posted:

He could start for a bunch of teams, and even if you disagree, to think he’s not worthy of even a backup QB spot is delusional

He can only do one thing well and the 9ers built their offense around it. Everyone else figured out how to counter it pretty quick and the team ate poo poo for a while.

He can't backup because he can't throw a ball.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

flatluigi posted:

no lie, b+j is one of the few companies that takes both a big stand and puts their money where their mouth is. even past the manifesto in the tweet they've had a foundation giving out grants for decades

to be clear i'm far from one to defend companies by default but can you imagine seeing this on literally any other statement from a corporation

Yeah B&J is a huge anomaly brand wise in that this is consistent with their messaging, even when they got bought out by unilever. It’s one of the few legit true blue ones

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

flatluigi posted:

Oh for sure, they're one of the few good companies. Just going for the easy pun.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

teen witch posted:

Yeah B&J is a huge anomaly brand wise in that this is consistent with their messaging, even when they got bought out by unilever. It’s one of the few legit true blue ones

Wasn't part of the buyout a condition that the original founders still got to control the social messaging?

I remember something like that because everyone was all "B&J just another corporate monster" but they got to keep their soul somehow and still be extremely left wing compared to all other brands.

It also helps there is no competition for their ice cream. Want an alternative? Enjoy the "frozen dairy product" that Breyer's is made out since it can no longer legally be called ice cream.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

norton I posted:

He can only do one thing well and the 9ers built their offense around it. Everyone else figured out how to counter it pretty quick and the team ate poo poo for a while.

He can't backup because he can't throw a ball.

He was still averaging 6.8 yards per carry in his final year and his passing was about average.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

pentyne posted:

It also helps there is no competition for their ice cream. Want an alternative? Enjoy the "frozen dairy product" that Breyer's is made out since it can no longer legally be called ice cream.

Most of Breyer's stuff is still ice cream, but if you're down in Texas and want another alternative, HEB's store-brand stuff is all still ice cream, with milks and cream as the major ingredients.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

As a reminder, Colin Kaepernick won a 60 million dollar settlement against the NFL over blackballing him and while the agreement means he and the nfl cant disclose why it was sealed, it shouldn't take a brain genius to realize whatever was going to come out in discovery was worth 60 million dollars to the nfl to not have made public.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Barudak posted:

As a reminder, Colin Kaepernick won a 60 million dollar settlement against the NFL over blackballing him and while the agreement means he and the nfl cant disclose why it was sealed, it shouldn't take a brain genius to realize whatever was going to come out in discovery was worth 60 million dollars to the nfl to not have made public.

Is that in perpetuity or can he talk about it after a certain period of time?

I'm sure that'll be a decent mid-life bump in income when he has a book ghostwritten for him.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

less than three posted:

Their tweets are also automatically posted by SocialFlow every 30 minutes on the dot, so they're doing literally nothing.

They did a charity stream benefiting BLM. They seemed pretty sincere about it :shrug:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I don't follow football all that close, but maybe you're thinking of Tim Tebow? He was both famously mediocre and known for kneeling in protest, except he was protesting women having rights instead of people of color not having them.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I don't follow football all that close, but maybe you're thinking of Tim Tebow? He was both famously mediocre and known for kneeling in protest, except he was protesting women having rights instead of people of color not having them.

Tebow never kneeled in protest of anything, that was just his public prayer poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Henchman of Santa posted:

Tebow never kneeled in protest of anything, that was just his public prayer poo poo.

He did do that gross anti-abortion ad, I think they’re just blending the two together in their brain because it was a decade (feels like a century) ago.