Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

I've been running the v2004 release of Windows 10 for a while via this insider stuff. It pretty much made Lighthouse base station power management unreliable. I've been whining about it on the Steam support forum for three months, with some other guy confirming it. As expected, no one from Valve reacted. Now as the new Windows 10 release is official, said thread is suddenly gaining more responses from other people reporting the same. loving dipshits at Valve. This was an avoidable issue.

Valve needs to hire someone who really gets their jollies from bugfixing this stuff otherwise it will never happen. Apparently there is no consequence to anybody who works there if things start to fall apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Valve has a long history of introducing products and features then immediately losing interest and abandoning support. Buying hardware from them is basically gambling.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I wish Steam Link wasn't a buggy mess, because when it works, it's really good!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Turin Turambar posted:

It's ironic, as precisely the whole point of the Insider previews are less for consumers for fool around and more for companies, devs and hardware manufacturers to test their products against the new OS, and update whatever it's needed.
Which is exactly why I have absolutely zero sympathy for software vendors or large companies that act like they're surprised when their thing breaks on a new version of Windows. Anyone that can reasonably be expected to do software testing internally should have a few of those machines running slow ring at minimum and should be aware of any breakage long before it reaches the public. If they haven't at least notified their customers by the time the update is releasing to normal users they aren't doing their jobs.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Screw it, just bought an 128GB Quest. Good times.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Shine posted:

I wish Steam Link wasn't a buggy mess, because when it works, it's really good!

I use Moonlight to stream from Nvidia GameStream instead, that app is true wizardry. I can play on my phone or even pair my Xbone controller to my phone and output the phone to my TV. It behaves much better on data too, I can play MtG Arena with Moonlight on 4G when it's too flakey for the Steam Link phone app.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Anyone have recommendations for alternative locomotion options like Natural Locomotion for Vive?

Smooth walking with just the vive wand touchpad pad makes me nauseous, but integrating walking in place with Natural Locomotion arm swinging let me play for hours. Unfortunately, earlier this week, it started crashing as soon as I launched it. The dev is normally responsive to bug reports but hasn't been responding to me or the other people who are seeing the issue all week (uninstalling and reinstalling didn't work either).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Anton is an utter madman - he's made attachable bipods. :stonklol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBWwgo_QzdY

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Oh, thank God. Sniping is literally impossible in that game if you have shaky hands, the controllers are insanely sensitive to small movement.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Luneshot posted:

Oh, thank God. Sniping is literally impossible in that game if you have shaky hands, the controllers are insanely sensitive to small movement.

Yeah it's tough when the controllers you're holding have so little mass compared to what's being modeled.

Speaking of H3VR, are any of the maps other than Take and Hold worth playing? I've tried a few of the shooting ranges and they were fun for a few minutes, but seem to be more about just trying out different guns? I also tried the frankenweenie game and I couldn't get into how melee focused it seemed. I don't like melee in VR games at all, and my space doesn't allow for lunging anyway.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Brownie posted:

Yeah it's tough when the controllers you're holding have so little mass compared to what's being modeled.

Speaking of H3VR, are any of the maps other than Take and Hold worth playing? I've tried a few of the shooting ranges and they were fun for a few minutes, but seem to be more about just trying out different guns? I also tried the frankenweenie game and I couldn't get into how melee focused it seemed. I don't like melee in VR games at all, and my space doesn't allow for lunging anyway.

Return of the Rotweiners isn't all that melee-focused and has a lot of depth to it. You'll get some decent guns just by doing the starting hub quests, and it's often better to just run rather than stay and fight as it'll often attract MORE zosigs.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

I've been running the v2004 release of Windows 10 for a while via this insider stuff. It pretty much made Lighthouse base station power management unreliable. I've been whining about it on the Steam support forum for three months, with some other guy confirming it. As expected, no one from Valve reacted. Now as the new Windows 10 release is official, said thread is suddenly gaining more responses from other people reporting the same. loving dipshits at Valve. This was an avoidable issue.

Ooooooh is that why that's happening? That explains it...

That being said, it's not that particularly big of a deal so lol calling them dipshits for something so minor

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Return of the Rotweiners isn't all that melee-focused and has a lot of depth to it. You'll get some decent guns just by doing the starting hub quests, and it's often better to just run rather than stay and fight as it'll often attract MORE zosigs.

I tried out Rotweiners on Arcade, and got into a fight with 2-3 zosigs near a set of beartraps.

After the gunshots drew in everything, I had around 6 zosigs on my rear end, and do you have any idea how stressful reloading is when there's a pack of them on your rear end while you're using armswinger?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

BisbyWorl posted:

I tried out Rotweiners on Arcade, and got into a fight with 2-3 zosigs near a set of beartraps.

After the gunshots drew in everything, I had around 6 zosigs on my rear end, and do you have any idea how stressful reloading is when there's a pack of them on your rear end while you're using armswinger?

Armswinger now has an optional "press to move forward" button, presumably to help with stuff like this. I think it's disabled by default, but you can find it if you dig through the input options. I've never messed with it, so I don't know if fumbling your hands around to reload makes it gently caress up or what have you, but it might help!

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBWwgo_QzdY

I'm excited about the new bolt action movement. I have never been able to do the old right click method. I legit can't do it 100% of the time. Manual is a little too slow for take & hold. Now they are finally viable for me.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Having tried out the new bolt-action style, it's pretty rad! But distressingly easy to accidentally eject rounds when you're not trying to.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I mean, that's great and all but I don't see how that makes him a mad lad; they're a real thing and start at like $15 on Amazon. I have one for my crossbow: https://www.amazon.com/P2M-Tactical-Bipod-Picatinny-Adapter/dp/B079ZS8WFY

To be exact, mine is a foregrip with springloaded/retractable bipod, if he put that in the game then I'd really be impressed: https://www.amazon.com/Playingg-Inches-Tactical-Rifle-Bipod/dp/B08888MJYW

Now if you really want to enter VR inception, you can buy this real life Vive gun adapter with picatinny rails, and have a real life attachable bipod for your VR attachable bipod:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Zero VGS posted:

I mean, that's great and all but I don't see how that makes him a mad lad; they're a real thing and start at like $15 on Amazon. I have one for my crossbow: https://www.amazon.com/P2M-Tactical-Bipod-Picatinny-Adapter/dp/B079ZS8WFY

To be exact, mine is a foregrip with springloaded/retractable bipod, if he put that in the game then I'd really be impressed: https://www.amazon.com/Playingg-Inches-Tactical-Rifle-Bipod/dp/B08888MJYW

Now if you really want to enter VR inception, you can buy this real life Vive gun adapter with picatinny rails, and have a real life attachable bipod for your VR attachable bipod:

That would be rad it's a nice length too

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.
I found a really fun thing to do in the indoor range, now that it's updated. Set the person shaped target 10 meters away and grab the single action army. Do 5 second empty hand start, and try to get 10 points at 1.5 sec or 15 at 2 sec. It feels cool as hell to get. Remember that you can fan a single action.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I noticed that HP put up a trailer for their new headset. It shows an exploded CAD animation, which gives a lot of insight into the design and fit if you're watching it in slow motion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxp9xxgEfak

Didn't notice the standard 20 foot cable before, that's hot.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Cables! Boo hiss who needs em' (btw if anyone here gets a reverb g2, appreciated if you could lay down some of your thoughts so I can stick it in the OP).

In completely unrelated news, I recently played Puzzling Places, a 3D jigsaw puzzle that uses sliced up photogrammetric environments. There's just the one puzzle in the prototype and as it's just a proof of concept it's a little rough, but even as someone who has virtually no interest in traditional 2D jigsaws I found it a lot of fun.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

gently caress SNEEP posted:

That being said, it's not that particularly big of a deal so lol calling them dipshits for something so minor
Three months and no reaction whatsoever, while the relevant bits were available publicly for months now.

And it's probably gonna take quite some more time, because Valve.

As far as minor or not, having to boot up SteamVR multiple times to get both Lighthouses to shutdown in parallel while exiting SteamVR is sure very cool, especially if the other Lighthouse decides to spin up anyway instead of failing to communicate (when you actually want it to). I'm sure the motors are going to appreciate the unnecessary spin up cycles. Also, the power bricks are in annoying locations, so yanking them by hand is a lovely option, too.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 30, 2020

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
Do you guys use any protective casings / covers for the Oculus Quest and its controllers? I really wouldn't mind having some wrist straps on the controllers in particular.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Reallycoolname posted:

Do you guys use any protective casings / covers for the Oculus Quest and its controllers? I really wouldn't mind having some wrist straps on the controllers in particular.

Overkill, but if you cut the insert out of the box the Quest comes in, it fits perfectly into the Apache 2800 at harbor freight. Everything slots in and nothing moves.

Here’s a coupon to make it $22. They’re fine with scanning the coup off your phone. https://www.hfqpdb.com/coupons/2423_ITEM_APACHE_2800_CASE_1586600379.7205.png

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Combat Pretzel posted:

Also, the power bricks are in annoying locations, so yanking them by hand is a lovely option, too.

If it's something that you really want powered down and don't like relying on (valve's) software solution, why not try smart plugs? You could even set a routine to shut them down when you say "disable holodeck safety protocols" or summin

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I was watching the VR selection of the We Are One film festival in Youtube. These ones were good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkU6Ke8vnmo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlE-nLWyeDY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3PEb84BZ50

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Combat Pretzel posted:

Three months and no reaction whatsoever, while the relevant bits were available publicly for months now.

And it's probably gonna take quite some more time, because Valve.

As far as minor or not, having to boot up SteamVR multiple times to get both Lighthouses to shutdown in parallel while exiting SteamVR is sure very cool, especially if the other Lighthouse decides to spin up anyway instead of failing to communicate (when you actually want it to). I'm sure the motors are going to appreciate the unnecessary spin up cycles. Also, the power bricks are in annoying locations, so yanking them by hand is a lovely option, too.

If one of them is at all accessible, turning it off will send the other into sleep mode.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Would the gun adapter thing work with WMR controllers? I have a Dell Visor.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Penpal posted:

If it's something that you really want powered down and don't like relying on (valve's) software solution, why not try smart plugs? You could even set a routine to shut them down when you say "disable holodeck safety protocols" or summin
Sounds like a Steve Jobs type of "holding it wrong" solution to the issue. :|

Also, they cost like 15€ a piece (I have some).

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If one of them is at all accessible, turning it off will send the other into sleep mode.
What do you mean? Yanking the power on one? Because when SteamVR manages to power down one of them, the other still keeps spinning.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The most confusing thing is actually that the controllers work just fine. From what I can tell, the Index exposes a virtual COM port only and SteamVR appears to run an user mode driver in its own context to do all this Bluetooth poo poo. The controllers are reliable, the base station communication is not. Which makes no sense. Either that, or I'm having tracking issues with them that are not immediately noticeable, in relation to it all.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Combat Pretzel posted:

The most confusing thing is actually that the controllers work just fine. From what I can tell, the Index exposes a virtual COM port only and SteamVR appears to run an user mode driver in its own context to do all this Bluetooth poo poo. The controllers are reliable, the base station communication is not. Which makes no sense. Either that, or I'm having tracking issues with them that are not immediately noticeable, in relation to it all.

I’ve been using power management for 4 base stations since It got implemented shortly after Index launch. I use it daily and it has a 100% success rate, something is up with your system.
Unplug the index, run the “remove all SteamVR drivers”, reboot and then plug it in.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Wasn’t able to make the last couple altspace Reggie Watts events, finally got to go tonight, that was fun.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 06:34 on May 31, 2020

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

You know, I should probably turn off my lighthouses after not having used my Vive for about 6 months.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Quicksilver6 posted:

Would the gun adapter thing work with WMR controllers? I have a Dell Visor.
Probably not too great since it'll at least partially block the view of the controllers to the cameras

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

I finished Tetris Effect, Drop Dead Double Strike, and nobody is playing Spaceteam VR. :smith:

Guess I'll go back to trying to progress in Beat Saber.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

rage-saq posted:

I’ve been using power management for 4 base stations since It got implemented shortly after Index launch. I use it daily and it has a 100% success rate, something is up with your system.
Unplug the index, run the “remove all SteamVR drivers”, reboot and then plug it in.
Are you running Windows 10 version 2004 that just released? Because that is the issue. And I'm definitely not alone with it judging my thread over on Steam and the related responses over on r/valveindex.

It worked just fine up to Windows 10 v1909.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 10:50 on May 31, 2020

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Merijn posted:

I finished Tetris Effect, Drop Dead Double Strike, and nobody is playing Spaceteam VR. :smith:

Guess I'll go back to trying to progress in Beat Saber.

Update: I installed VRchat and within 3 minutes, I saw some guy transform into a giant Godzilla avatar and changed myself into some anime avatar by accident. This has potential.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Merijn posted:

and changed myself into some anime avatar by accident.

suuuure, completely by accident. ;)

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Combat Pretzel posted:

Are you running Windows 10 version 2004 that just released? Because that is the issue. And I'm definitely not alone with it judging my thread over on Steam and the related responses over on r/valveindex.

It worked just fine up to Windows 10 v1909.

Nope I’m on 1909

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

SCheeseman posted:

You know, I should probably turn off my lighthouses after not having used my Vive for about 6 months.

Or you could play with your Vive.