Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

rickiep00h posted:

Spouse (former Sweetwater sales) said they got a TON of Mesa returns in general and Mark returns specifically because bluesdads had no idea what they were doing with them. Which checks out for me as the number of times I went into the guitar rooms there and found all the Mesa amps with the bass knob at like 3 o'clock or higher was just... disturbing. It's almost like people don't use their ears when chasing tone.

what makes this extra funny is those amps have been around for what close to 50 years now. anyone with the cash to drop on one and even knows what they are has definitely posted on tgp at some point, this shouldn't still be occult knowledge how to dial those things in

plus the manuals all go over it in pretty fine detail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Just fuckin lol that people read the manuals. Almost all of the post-sale customer service work my spouse did was literally searching manual PDFs and knowledge base/support websites. The days they actually had to call a vendor or transfer to tech support were pretty rare. If that happened, usually the gear was actually hosed up or it was a crazy edge case.

Mostly it's just people have no loving idea how their gear works or what it actually does. (And I'll admit to the latter on lots of pedals n poo poo, but I'm talking like the basics of electric guitar amplification.)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

rickiep00h posted:

Just fuckin lol that people read the manuals. Almost all of the post-sale customer service work my spouse did was literally searching manual PDFs and knowledge base/support websites. The days they actually had to call a vendor or transfer to tech support were pretty rare. If that happened, usually the gear was actually hosed up or it was a crazy edge case.

Mostly it's just people have no loving idea how their gear works or what it actually does. (And I'll admit to the latter on lots of pedals n poo poo, but I'm talking like the basics of electric guitar amplification.)

I forget if it was in the manual or just general knowledge but I'm pretty sure it was the manual that told me to be very careful with the bass knob on the Mark 5 25

Like I'm gonna admit the assorted knobs and switches and the eq are all together kind of A Lot but the manual makes them pretty easy to attack

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Maybe a stupid question, but what's the point of having 3/4 of the knob's range unusable to the point where it's common knowledge? Are there any settings at all where it's useful to be cranking that bass knob to the shockingly high value of 12:00?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Leck posted:

Maybe a stupid question, but what's the point of having 3/4 of the knob's range unusable to the point where it's common knowledge? Are there any settings at all where it's useful to be cranking that bass knob to the shockingly high value of 12:00?
S / D / S (or certain clean sounds that need a really hearty thump)

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
The low knob is probably a lot more useable if you're not using high gain. I don't know why you'd buy a Mark series or Rectifier if you weren't planning to use high gain, though.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The Leck posted:

the mesa tone stack is really more a set of extra gain controls than an eq due to its placement before the gain stages. it's weird and counterintuitive but it gives you a lot more flexibility in terms of dialing in various sounds

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

The Leck posted:

From what I understand, the basic circuit was designed when there were still plenty of people using single coils for high gain tones. The bass knob has more usable range if you're using those. Also, yeah there are times when you could raise the bass knob appropriately. If you used a lead channel as maybe more of a broken-up clean or bluesy driven kind of tone, the bass knob could work well turned relatively up if you turn the gain controls down.

Mark amps are mostly used for super high gain sounds because that's what they're known for as they can do that sound very well, but they are ridiculously versatile. They can do just about anything. The weird high gain bass knob makes more sense under that framework.

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

I did read the 2-page pdf that came with my $60000 Dumble amp.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

polynominal-c posted:

I did read the 2-page pdf that came with my $60000 Dumble amp.

Was the first page the boilerplate "do not immerse in water" warning page?

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

rickiep00h posted:

No he "forgot" to mention that because ehhh... making $120000 is better than $60000.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

polynominal-c posted:

No he "forgot" to mention that because ehhh... making $120000 is better than $60000.

Doesn't Dumble have ridiculous throughput where people have to wait months and months to get an Amp?

Figured he could address that first.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
People actually play Dumbles?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Nobody else had the strategy “for our next amp we’ll keep all the previous amps but then add another amp and they all have virtual channels using insane relay networks” like Mesa did/does.

Marshall was just like “we add cold clipper gain stage to super lead and it go brrrrr lol” and the 800 was born. I’m definitely more of an iterative approach Marshall fan than “everything and the kitchen sink” Mesa approach.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 28, 2020

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

rickiep00h posted:

it was a picture of howard dumble waddling off into the sunset with two large canvas bags with dollar signs printed on them

Spanish Manlove posted:

People actually play Dumbles?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6x1hIRoAa4&t=192s

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 28, 2020

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

The Muppets On PCP posted:

it was a picture of howard dumble waddling off into the sunset with two large canvas bags with dollar signs printed on them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6x1hIRoAa4&t=192s

Weird, that sounds a lot better than I thought it would but it's not exactly what I like from high gain tones, but that's just my opinion

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
yeah the eq in the loop needs some further adjusting at the very least but it's an interesting experiment

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wow, that sounds like poo poo.

Stupid Music poo poo! :haw:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I like this section of the interview between JHS and Earthquaker's founders. Josh asks "what are you most proud of" and they start going into how they both will come up with cool, wild new circuits and ideas that nobody buys but JHS made a $200 tube screamer with 9 modes and people buy the crap out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02SX9iZ-Coo&t=906s

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
the guy who bought up everything from dave mustaine's garage sale a while back is trying to flip all that gear back on reverb and those prices

https://reverb.com/shop/essex-recording-studios

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Lol a Dave mustaine bass

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I hate seeing all these instruments going for thousands of dollars, even just going down to the regular guitar store and seeing rickenbackers on the wall for like two grand and change

it basically turns the whole enterprise into "well, if you're not buying The Correct Guitar, you might as well be buying a child's toy from walmart" which I know to a certain extent is nonsense, but I end up feeling like (also nonsense but work with me here) no matter what I do, I'm not going to sound good because I'm not going to have a device that makes The Correct Noise

because either you buy an expensive one or a cheap one that you then have to have upgraded and either way you're paying an assload and it's just so exhausting to think about

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

hexwren posted:

I hate seeing all these instruments going for thousands of dollars, even just going down to the regular guitar store and seeing rickenbackers on the wall for like two grand and change

it basically turns the whole enterprise into "well, if you're not buying The Correct Guitar, you might as well be buying a child's toy from walmart" which I know to a certain extent is nonsense, but I end up feeling like (also nonsense but work with me here) no matter what I do, I'm not going to sound good because I'm not going to have a device that makes The Correct Noise

because either you buy an expensive one or a cheap one that you then have to have upgraded and either way you're paying an assload and it's just so exhausting to think about

lol

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If I was good at making memey images, I would make a "haha guitar goes brrr-brrr-brrr!" one.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

If someone doesn't sound good, it's because they aren't good enough at playing. A good player will sound good on pretty much anything that's in tune.

I, for example, will continue to sound like trash. But if I get the J Mascis jazzmaster that I've been eyeing, I'll look cooler doing it which is really the important part

Like, sure, nicer guitars might be a bit easier to play in a certain style, and might make getting a certain sound easier, and might stay in tune better or whatever. But sounding just "good" is just a function of being a good player and having an in-tune guitar that's properly set up and all that.

So buy what you want and replicate your favorite guitarist's tone as much as you want. But you'll still sound good even if you don't.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
Instead of spending your time watching gear reviews, reading forums about gear, and reading guitar magazines, which are all designed to inspire the idea that the right gear matters, and then make money advertising that gear, invest that time in learning what to look for in an instrument and how to set one up properly. The only difference between a Squier and a fender is the chance of buying a dud, which decreases annually with improvements in manufacturing techniques. If you know how to tell a dud, and invest a little more time in trying guitars in shops, you will literally save yourself thousands of dollars.

Same principle with learning to solder and building your own pedals. This is an insanely low barrier to accessing a huge variety of sounds for low money, and you can even dabble in gear lust, because if you wait a couple of months you can just buy the PCB, or a kit (more expensive than parting yourself but less time/ loving about) of whatever was the flavour of the week. No one should ever need to buy a fuzz face based pedal lmao.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I wanna know where that's a quote from

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

I get what you’re saying about DIY pedals, but there’s a ton of investment in time most people aren’t willing to make about the details in building something reliable and low noise. As long as you aren’t cork sniffing transistors, just buy whatever fuzz face or pedal that has the cool graphics and get back to playing.

That said, I have a stack of PedalPCB clone boards for the 1981, white pedal, dark glass etc, that I’m looking forward to building instead of spending $300 a pop. I think the layout of their boards are probably amongst the cleanest from the builds I’ve seen.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Spanish Manlove posted:

I wanna know where that's a quote from

Your mum, for whom the fuzz face is named.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Joe Bogan posted:

Your mum, for whom the fuzz face is named.

I thought there were a few other pedals named after her, she is a special lady

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Joe Bogan posted:

...The only difference between a Squier and a fender is the chance of buying a dud, which decreases annually with improvements in manufacturing techniques...

Gonna echo this. I'll go ahead and say that my main guitar is a PRS core model that originally cost several thousand dollars. I've played it almost every day for the past... 20 years or so. I've also spent a lot of time in a lot of guitar stores playing everything from vintage Les Pauls to Tom Andersons and Suhrs, etc. The most absurd rig I've played through once was a couple of pre-CBS Strats through a Dumble ODS the store wanted over $100k for, lol. Basically I've spent quite a lot of years playing, reading, and really getting to know what a "good guitar rig" truly is.

I say that not to brag but to say that DESPITE all that experience with high end stuff, a couple years back I bought a Mexican Telecaster for $500 and I'm totally in love with it. I just happened to pick it up in a music store because I was kinda half-way curious about it and after playing two chords on the thing I knew I was bringing it home that day. I don't own a lot of guitars. It is *every bit* as solid and stable and plays every bit as well as the expensive stuff. Me finding that instrument wasn't some one-in-a-million thing. It just happened to be one that fit me just right. I totally love it, and I'm planning on building a Warmoth Frankenstrat soon because I like the idea of taking the best specs of everything that I've found that works for me and putting those into a single guitar... and Warmoth makes great stuff too. But that's the thing. Everybody makes great stuff now.

15 or even 10 years ago, yeah you really did get what you paid for in a pretty linear way. Now, diminishing returns hits real hard real fast. Yes the Tom Andersons and Suhrs and other "top shelf" guitars are better than the cheaper stuff, but not by as much as you'd expect, and that gap is narrowing more every day. And besides, if you're more inspired to play better music on a guitar with a few idiosyncrasies rather than some mathematically perfect platonic ideal of what The Guitar should be, then the one that makes you play better is the one you should play.

tl;dr - even if you want a really great instrument, spending multiple thousands on a guitar in 2020 is totally unnecessary, full stop.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 30, 2020

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The best thing learning about how stuff works is it is very useful for discerning what is horseshit versus what is of substance pretty quickly/easily.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Stupid (awesome) music poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtvpXr9O0J4

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

The best thing learning about how stuff works is it is very useful for discerning what is horseshit versus what is of substance pretty quickly/easily.

I agree, that’s why I prefer my silverwound guitar pickups and pure copper mono crystal cables.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo! :stwoon:

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I did a search for "pointy" on reverb and got reminded of the existence of this thing:

I can only assume that Al Jourgensen was angry that people had found a way to play Flying Vs sitting down.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Anime Reference posted:

I did a search for "pointy" on reverb and got reminded of the existence of this thing:

I can only assume that Al Jourgensen was angry that people had found a way to play Flying Vs sitting down.

gently caress, now I want to start a band where we all dress up like the wicked witch of the west. Cacklecore or something.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Pondex posted:

gently caress, now I want to start a band where we all dress up like the wicked witch of the west. Cacklecore or something.

Team up with Witch House: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch_house_(genre)

Even if you start it as a joke, if people like it, you get your own genre, so it could work...

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

If Witch House didn't already exist it would be necessary to invent it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
it took me way too long to notice the mousepad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGeMqVwKr_I