Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

SelenicMartian posted:

Is No Retreat: Russian F fun/heavy? How bad are turn length/down time?
It's not too difficult to pick up and I used to recommend it as a starting-level hex and counter game. Downtime is not too bad either and there is some considerations to be made during the turn of your opponent since you can counterstrike them to spoil attacks, which is a pretty good mechanism IMO. The only issue I have with the game is that for the first year of the war or so, there are a lot of rules and exceptions in order to make the game not be a cakewalk for the Germans and thus there's a bit too much to keep track off when you start out. The system overall is not bad and it does a decent job of portraying the qualitative advantage of the germans in the early war, then the decline of the german army and the qualitative improvement of the Russian army in the late war periods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Imperial Struggle just charged to cards, so it's gonna be out sometime soon.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

AARP LARPer posted:

Imperial Struggle just charged to cards, so it's gonna be out sometime soon.

Holy poo poo I'll have to check GMT because I literally cannot remember if I preordered this however long ago. I'm glad to hear it's actually happening, but that was a bit of a wait.

Also, to echo Tekopo's statements, yes No Retreat no.1 is a good game and a good introductory game in some ways (Sekigahara is probably a better introductory game). As he said there are some rules exceptions here and there, but I like it and it didn't really cause that much trouble in the one game of it I played. Everything from turn 1-5 is a bit crazy because that's the parts of the war where the Germans roll the Soviets and then get stuck in mud and snow. Overall, had a lot of fun, would play again. There's supposed to be a lighter version called Absolute War in the works right now, but I'm not sure how close to release it is. The p500 took a really long time.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Also just ignore every single other No Retreat in the series, they aren't worth the time and effort to learn.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

RF is the only one getting published in Rus so far.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

SelenicMartian posted:

Is No Retreat: Russian F fun/heavy? How bad are turn length/down time?

It's good and fun, if a bit fiddly with chrome - it's still mostly easy & snappy for grog standards, but not exactly welcoming for a babby's first hex game situation. Turn length and so is fine, but the game overall time is quite grog long - if you want to have a single-evening game a la Twilight Struggle or Sekigahara you want to plan for playing out a year or a year and half in a sitting.

Tekopo posted:

Also just ignore every single other No Retreat in the series, they aren't worth the time and effort to learn.

This, however, is painfully true.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Lichtenstein posted:

It's good and fun, if a bit fiddly with chrome - it's still mostly easy & snappy for grog standards, but not exactly welcoming for a babby's first hex game situation. Turn length and so is fine, but the game overall time is quite grog long - if you want to have a single-evening game a la Twilight Struggle or Sekigahara you want to plan for playing out a year or a year and half in a sitting.

Yeah I forgot to mention that, if you play the whole war it can take a long time, but the shorter scenarios are a lot more manageable for one night of game time. Just skip the last one. The 1945 stuff sucks and from what I understand was never part of the original game, but added on later.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

1945 was an expansion and the first sign of Carl going completely insane.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Carl is a huge tinkerer and doesn't know where to stop.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

I've glanced through the localized rules and I see what you're talking about. Everything has an exception that triggers at random parts of a turn.

:stare:

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 21, 2020

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Any opinions on Flying Colors and/or Men of Iron? New editions of both are shipping soon.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Terminally Bored posted:

Any opinions on Flying Colors and/or Men of Iron? New editions of both are shipping soon.

I have Blood & Roses from the Men of Iron series. It's a fun, lighter game where the lines quickly descend into a chaotic bloodbath. It's mechanically similar to GBoH with the way leaders take turns in order of quality but can trump, somewhat less fiddly overall. Cavalry was unusual at that time--charging infantry can be a big mistake. It's often better to just use the horses to get into position quickly, then dismount before engaging the enemy.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

First, GMT's P500 of Border Rievers

Now the Jacobites are Rising with Compass https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/compassgames/commands-and-colors-tricorne-jacobite-rising

:scotland:

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Looks like they are doing a third printing of Under and Iron Sky. The cold war is totally my jam, so hopefully it hits 200 and I can finally snag a copy.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

The BGG Wargame forum posted:

Strategy isn't gamey play to maximize game mechanics, because that requires you to believe the game mechanics, and I generally don't. I'll go further - real strategy begins when you deny that the game, designer, umpire, ref, not to mention the opponent, have anything to lecture you about as to what you can do or what you should do. If they know so much, let them play it. No jumping through other people's hoops like a performing seal. Instead, real strategy is "I found this new way no one ever thought of before to ruin my opponent's day". If the ref isn't stunned, I'm doing it wrong. "But the victory conditions say you must..." And if I blow up the auditorium, who is going to lecture me about what I did wrong? The debris? Strategy begins with putting yourself in charge of what you are "allowed" to do. Which is "what you can do" and "what works" - which nobody else on this earth knows or ever has known, until you show them.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The thought pattern that leads to light speed motorcycle messengers and fishing boats with surface to surface missiles.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

what the gently caress did I read

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

silvergoose posted:

what the gently caress did I read

He's basically completely mad. He reminds me a lot of Dominic Cummings, but a lot more harmless becuase all he wants to do is move counters on a map rather than reshape the British government.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I, too, casually blow up all my opponents for not playing 4d chess.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Can't decide if it's a John Galt thing or something something The Joker.

But with wargames.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Heh, what if i just put one of my infantry corps and dropped in in berlin. Bet you didn't think of that! If the Soviets had transporter technology they could've done it!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Panzeh posted:

Heh, what if i just put one of my infantry corps and dropped in in berlin. Bet you didn't think of that! If the Soviets had transporter technology they could've done it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg_ghkwt5cs

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

World in Flames but literally setting counters on fire.

By the way, WTF if the $600 edition for?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

SelenicMartian posted:

World in Flames but literally setting counters on fire.

By the way, WTF if the $600 edition for?
It's for COOLCORN.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Tekopo posted:

It's for COOLCORN.

Not even I'm that crazy. That edition comes with a bunch of extra stuff that's not even compatible with the new edition lol

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/markherman54/status/1264199820887105538?s=19

:woop:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tekopo posted:

The thought pattern that leads to light speed motorcycle messengers and fishing boats with surface to surface missiles.

Similar vibes

(thread)
https://twitter.com/adembskibowden/status/1256996817809653760

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

No, this.
https://twitter.com/markherman54/status/1264257275092500480

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

!!!!

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I want a wargame that uses the dymaxion map.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
MOUNTED DOUBLE MAPS for Pacific War :woop:

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Looks gorgeous!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

GMT store is open again!

Empire of the Sun is out of stock? How do you bug them about a P500?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

SelenicMartian posted:

GMT store is open again!

Empire of the Sun is out of stock? How do you bug them about a P500?

I'd go for that !

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

mllaneza posted:

I'd go for that !

I’m also waiting for EoS to P500, but with the current backlog I doubt it is coming soon.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Ahh, stackable counter trays.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I finished finished clipping all 8 countersheets of World in Flames

...the basic game. There's still 17 countersheets for the deluxe game left to clip. :negative: help me I am in hell

The Journey Fraternity
Nov 25, 2003

I found this on the ground!

COOL CORN posted:

I finished finished clipping all 8 countersheets of World in Flames

...the basic game. There's still 17 countersheets for the deluxe game left to clip. :negative: help me I am in hell

You knew what you were signing up for. :colbert:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Journey Fraternity posted:

You knew what you were signing up for. :colbert:
They don't call it "Weekend In Flames" (aka "Semester In Flames" aka "Marriage In Flames") for no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

SelenicMartian posted:

Ahh, stackable counter trays.

Chit rack.

:colbert: