Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
This is going to be stupid enough that I'm going to give it a shot

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?&postid=8009365#post8009365

quote:

At level 10, approach either of the two sons of Elrond (Elrohir and Elladan), who are present in both Bree-town and Gondamon, and ask to join their faction by accepting a quest.
Once you have accepted a quest from one of the twins, you will be able to engage in combat with members of the opposing faction. You will also be able to gain honour by completing deeds throughout Eriador.
Each Eriador deed completed grants one hundred points of honor, which is tracked on a leaderboard. Use to the Register of Heroes to view the current leaderboard. Deeds completed prior to accepting a quest from Elladan or Elrohir, or not in the Eriador category, will not count towards this score.
Once you are engaged in this quest for honour, your only safe zones from members of the opposing faction are in Gondamon and Bree-town, where the brothers are camped. You will also have a short buff upon reviving that prevents any combat by or against you.

They're doing a new server for a temporary event where Elrohir and Elladan have decided to compete in seeing who can raise the most hobos to kill each other while trying to grind deeds in level 1-50 zones. I would think this would mostly appeal to people who don't like LoTRO, people who like LoTRO PVP enough not to care about the lore or reason behind it, and people who are curious what open world PVP in LoTRO would look like.

Seems like the perfect time to get some friends to roll 5 bears, a captain and a couple hunters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

They need to make that a three sided war by adding in some creeps.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

extra stout posted:

This is going to be stupid enough that I'm going to give it a shot

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?&postid=8009365#post8009365

They're doing a new server for a temporary event where Elrohir and Elladan have decided to compete in seeing who can raise the most hobos to kill each other while trying to grind deeds in level 1-50 zones. I would think this would mostly appeal to people who don't like LoTRO, people who like LoTRO PVP enough not to care about the lore or reason behind it, and people who are curious what open world PVP in LoTRO would look like.

Seems like the perfect time to get some friends to roll 5 bears, a captain and a couple hunters.

Never would have guessed this.

I'm almost 95 now and I'm so ready to roll out of Rohan. All my homies hate the eorlingas. I'm just going to assume Nona and Horn died in one of the excruciatingly long epic battles at Helm's Deep.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Kaysette posted:

I'm almost 95 now and I'm so ready to roll out of Rohan. All my homies hate the eorlingas. I'm just going to assume Nona and Horn died in one of the excruciatingly long epic battles at Helm's Deep.

You run into them later. (Horn actually was mentioned in LOTR by the way)

Spoiler for Battle of Pellenor Fields follows:

Whether or not Horn survives Pellenor actually depends on if you got Halros to leave the Shire way back in the Shire prologue. If you skipped that quest or told him to stay, Horn dies, and if you told Halros to go with Aragorn, he dies in Horn's place. Because of that Horn never reappears after Pellenor. Nona never reappears after Helm's Deep but her fate is referred to by Horn at Pellenor.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Lum_ posted:

You run into them later. (Horn actually was mentioned in LOTR by the way)

Oh, that's cool! Glad he shows back up. It was weird spending so long with them then rolling out to Isengard and not having any clue what happened to my squad.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Yeah, similarly the Rangers appear throughout much of the rest of the game (at least up to Minas Morgul, haven't gotten to Wildermore yet), SSG does a fairly good job keeping up with them.

(Pellenor Fields is handled about 1000 times better than Helms Deep btw, so don't let that clusterfuck scare you off. The game gets significantly better in general once you get to Gondor. Also don't be afraid to be overlevelled, Mordor hits like a ton of bricks and going into it as a fresh level 105 is asking for pain.)

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 21, 2020

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Man, I'd almost totally forgotten about Horn and Nona. I didn't really care about them all that much, but it was a bit weird that their story ended so abruptly from what I remember. They do pop back up again later on, but I'm pretty sure your elf buddy just disappears at some point and like 10 quests later you're like "Hmm, he's been gone for a while" and then he's literally never mentioned again. Despite spending multiple expansions with them, they really didn't leave much of a lasting impression.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

wizardofloneliness posted:

Man, I'd almost totally forgotten about Horn and Nona. I didn't really care about them all that much, but it was a bit weird that their story ended so abruptly from what I remember. They do pop back up again later on, but I'm pretty sure your elf buddy just disappears at some point and like 10 quests later you're like "Hmm, he's been gone for a while" and then he's literally never mentioned again. Despite spending multiple expansions with them, they really didn't leave much of a lasting impression.

They were MadeofLions' pet characters and he got upset when people didn't seem to enjoy playing third wheel tagalong in their dumbshit love story.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

wizardofloneliness posted:

Horn shows up again when the epic brings you back to places where the Riders of Rohan are (Far Anorien + Pelennor fields). But the (absolutely correct) decision to have you go to Gondor first, where it wouldn't have worked for him + Nona to tag along, does kill the pacing a bit.

(Also sassassin is being an idiot as usual, Horn is a character who appears (posthumously) in Return of the King and anyone who recognized that knew the story was not going to have a happy ending.)

Corudan is mentioned once after Mordor, when you head to Mirkwood IIRC, and I'd bet he'll show up at some point, but it may still be a few years from now. Similarly when we start heading back towards the Shire it wouldn't surprise me to see Nona show up once more.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

jalapeno_dude posted:

(Also sassassin is being an idiot as usual, Horn is a character who appears (posthumously) in Return of the King and anyone who recognized that knew the story was not going to have a happy ending.)

The name appears in a song. Not sure how you think that contradicts what I said.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
I'm sorry for this being out of a left field, but:

I've been a little hung up on crafting, since I've gotten the idea that you need to either craft legendary weapons yourself from materials from many professions, or be rich enough to buy the stuff outright. Or something to that effect.
Is this true, or can you get them without buying things from the market at extortionate prices?
Or if not, can you easily enough make do without legendary weapons?

In other words, is my grinding complimentary professions on multiple characters wildly superfluous?

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Bobfly posted:

I'm sorry for this being out of a left field, but:

I've been a little hung up on crafting, since I've gotten the idea that you need to either craft legendary weapons yourself from materials from many professions, or be rich enough to buy the stuff outright. Or something to that effect.
Is this true, or can you get them without buying things from the market at extortionate prices?
Or if not, can you easily enough make do without legendary weapons?

In other words, is my grinding complimentary professions on multiple characters wildly superfluous?

Legendary weapons are absolutely mandatory, but third age ones drop like candy from mobs to the extent they'll quickly fill up your bags. While leveling third age weapons are absolutely fine, and once you hit level 100 and imbued legendaries, there is no difference other than vanity glamour between third, second, and first ages- they'll all ultimately have the same stats. This has been true since 2015.

So yes, leveling crafting just to make legendaries is totally unnecessary.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Man, I'm glad to hear that. Crafting was killing me.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

jalapeno_dude posted:

Legendary weapons are absolutely mandatory, but third age ones drop like candy from mobs to the extent they'll quickly fill up your bags. While leveling third age weapons are absolutely fine, and once you hit level 100 and imbued legendaries, there is no difference other than vanity glamour between third, second, and first ages- they'll all ultimately have the same stats. This has been true since 2015.

So yes, leveling crafting just to make legendaries is totally unnecessary.

Unless something has changed, that is not entirely accurate. While imbued 3rd-age items do have the same aboslute caps for legacies as 1st ages, a 1st age will start with slightly higher legacy caps than a third age, and therefore require fewer anfalas scrolls (and starlit crystals, but they are easy-peasy to get in festivals from what I remember) in order to level them up to max. Also a 1st age item that has passive stats (i.e. two-handed weapons), the passives on a 1st age will be higher than a third age, and those do not increase after imbuement. However, with the current stat caps, those bonuses are probably very minimal.

So there are some slight differences.... is it worth it to worry about getting a 1st age item? The slight workload in getting a 1st age vs. imbuing a 3rd age and getting a few extra crystals/scrolls is probably pretty close to a wash.

However, there are easier methods to obtain a 1st age than crafting. The easiest way I found back in the day was doing the roving threats. There used to be groups that would go around doing the raid level ones all the time. You can turn in like 50? of the tokens you get from those to buy a 1st age weapon.

Disclaimer: I may be wrong, since stuff could've significantly changed since I last played the game (in any significant capacity) which was about January 2019ish

flowinprose fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 22, 2020

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
The easiest/fastest way is to lookup the recipe and buy the materials on the action house and ask in chat if anyone is around who can make the item you want. Just say you're new to the game and it's your first 1st age or w/e and you'll get a bunch of random folks offering to craft for you for free (but you do need your own mats). It is polite to tip if you have gold to spare.

Farming currency from roving threats still works, there's just fewer groups doing them now. But a lot are soloable if you're max level in decent gear.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Or if you're in the guild someone can craft it, I have a woodworker and weaponcrafter that can do legendaries and I'm pretty sure someone has everything else covered.

For materials, you'll need a 1st age symbol, which you can either get for a ton of money from the AH (don't do this), will drop occasionally from epic battles and raids (do this if you can), or if all else fails, central Gondor quests will reward you with one if you finish the quest line for each town in the area. It's worth doing anyway but the reputation to unlock the last parts can be a slight grind. At least it's placed for when you'll first need one.

https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Vanguard_of_Central_Gondor

You'll also need 2 emerald shards (they go for around 40g on the AH each, and appear rarely from mining nodes), 14 legendary fragments (you should have about 90000 of these if you've been deconstructing legendaries) and 5 top end Westenment crafting materials (whoever crafts these should have them, a tip is nice)

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Lum_ posted:

You'll also need 2 emerald shards (they go for around 40g on the AH each, and appear rarely from mining nodes), 14 legendary fragments (you should have about 90000 of these if you've been deconstructing legendaries) and 5 top end Westenment crafting materials (whoever crafts these should have them, a tip is nice)

Cheapest method for emerald shards is the skirmish camp barter, and my policy still stands whoever hits 100 and needs a first age let me know, I think I'm out of symbols again but they drop for me every third Defence of Minas Tirith or so and I've got a little gold going again so it's no problem

Also the new instance is a good way to get loot, without spoiling it I'll just say it's not real lore and just a goofy idea, but the whole fight is fighting small adds the tank can bring to you for five or six minutes, then a very long single boss fight I enjoyed, even on T2 at 130 it's dropping morgul relics, and at T5 it drops the best jewelry in game with it's own two piece set bonus. I got some good gloves and an anfalas scroll or two first run. It's a bit of a class test and you need a tank/healer/dps for sure, maybe two heavy DPS and a very good healer. But the mechanics are simple, it's only a three man and the strategy is 1/10th the effort of a raid.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

flowinprose posted:

Unless something has changed, that is not entirely accurate. While imbued 3rd-age items do have the same aboslute caps for legacies as 1st ages, a 1st age will start with slightly higher legacy caps than a third age, and therefore require fewer anfalas scrolls (and starlit crystals, but they are easy-peasy to get in festivals from what I remember) in order to level them up to max. Also a 1st age item that has passive stats (i.e. two-handed weapons), the passives on a 1st age will be higher than a third age, and those do not increase after imbuement. However, with the current stat caps, those bonuses are probably very minimal.

Yeah, to put this in context, a first-age level 100 Hunter weapon has +738 Physical Mastery compared to a third-ager. Depending on how well you're geared, you'll have somewhere in the neighborhood of 400-800 thousand Physical Mastery total. Very minimal is an overstatement. :p

The questions to answer are basically: 1) do you care whether your weapon shows up as yellow in your inventory (a.k.a. vanity) and 2) would you rather invest time into leveling crafting and gathering/buying mats for a first ager or into grinding the extra scrolls and crystals. Currently maxed out LIs have 648 legacy tiers, and you'll want 2 (a primary weapon and a secondary class item). That's 67 tiers in a DPS legacy and 83 in your choice of 7 secondary legacies (e.g. things that buff your skills and class features). For third agers, you can get up to tier 36 in dps and 46 in secondary legacies without needing to do any grinding, just accumulating XP passively as you level from 100 to 130. So you'll need 31*2=63 crystals from running festivals or instances and 37*14=518 scrolls from doing various dailies (most will be from Minas Tirith dailies). If you imbue a first ager, you'll start with an extra 2 tiers of each legacy unlocked, which means you'll "only" need 59 crystals and 490 scrolls.

So, the extra work needed if you imbue a third ager is 4 crystals, which you can get in about 3-4 days of doing festival activities, and 28 scrolls, which you can get in around a week of doing Minas Tirith dailies (maybe 60-90 min each day). The question is whether making first agers will take more or less time than that. If someone is willing to craft for you, obviously that will be instant. However, leveling the necessary crafters will definitely take significantly longer than that, so if you'd only level crafters to make the two needed LIs I think it clearly isn't worth it.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

I didn't know the exact numbers, so thanks for that. That sounds about right. I knew it was at least a significant difference in terms of flat amount of work to make them equivalent, but I couldn't remember exactly how much.

Back when I got my first age items, I did it by roving threats, and it took several hours after getting in with a good group that cleared out multiple zones to complete the deeds. However, that was at a busier time for the game so it was probably much more viable to find groups like that than it is now. In the game today I'm sure it is easier to just use third age items and grind out the few extra quests to cover the difference in scrolls/crystals.

Then again, I also did these when the level cap was 105, so many of them were actually significant threats and you needed a pretty full group. Now you would probably only need a single level 120+ character to assist and clean them all up.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Attempting to start back up again due to the fact that I'm a HUGE Lord of the Rings nerd and I have never fully played this. I'm on the goon server as Insoolyn - hobbit Burglar. I bought the original game and the Mines of Moria expansion so that entitled me to some coins, so I unlocked the beornings, dunno why cause I always like the hobbit race due to my similarity in feet and height. I have a good Swedish friend who will most likely make a dwarf.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
So I finally upgraded my gaming rig and I've had this game for like 5 years but unable to play it. Are goons still on Landroval? Might try and join up this weekend. What's the hip class to play as these days? Was thinking a dwarf rune keeper dude. Are they fun?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Free quest packs extended until 8/31 effectively forever (if you log in before 8/31)

https://lotro.com/en/friendsforever

quote:

We would like to thank you for supporting us! To begin with, you can continue to enjoy playing all quests, raids, and adventure areas for free through August 31st, 2020. We would also like to provide a way for you to move forward with your gaming when our event eventually comes to an end, so in the coming days we will be providing a Coupon Code that will let you acquire all currently-available quest packs permanently on your account(s)! However, you will need to act quickly, as this Coupon Code is available to redeem through August 31st, 2020.

Also all expansions (except the two most recent) will go on sale for 99 cents, so basically you can be a drunk hobbit for free forever.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 29, 2020

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Lum_ posted:

Free quest packs extended until 8/31 effectively forever (if you log in before 8/31)

Also all expansions will go on sale for 99 cents, so basically you can be a drunk hobbit for free forever.

Uh wow, this is pretty crazy.... like so crazy it makes me think it some kind of last gasp before they announce that they're going to close down or something.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

flowinprose posted:

Uh wow, this is pretty crazy.... like so crazy it makes me think it some kind of last gasp before they announce that they're going to close down or something.

Nah, pretty sure they're making bank from all the people logging in and buying quality of life stuff from the store. Plus I imagine a lot of people (like myself) plunked down for a month of VIP for the carryall.

Also Mordor and Minas Morgul aren't included in the 99c sale, so the newest expansions will still cost you. It'll just take you a while to need them.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 29, 2020

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
So, if they're giving away the quest packs for free, what's in the expansions that are going on sale? Instances, I guess, but anything else?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Demon Of The Fall posted:

So I finally upgraded my gaming rig and I've had this game for like 5 years but unable to play it. Are goons still on Landroval? Might try and join up this weekend. What's the hip class to play as these days? Was thinking a dwarf rune keeper dude. Are they fun?

rune keeper is good if you have Moria for them, they also added fancy new stout axe dwarves though you need to buy them and I dont think they are on sale anymore. Still with the expansions and quest packs going cheap there's some money saved there. Beornings are pretty great too. In the long run classes get buffed and nerfed so play who looks fun.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Lum_ posted:

Also all expansions (except the two most recent) will go on sale for 99 cents, so basically you can be a drunk hobbit for free forever.

That’s awesome!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I guess I should log in and see what free stuff that gives me. I think I had up until West(?) and maybe Central Gondor unlocked the last time I played. I'd be playing now but PSO2 is finally out in the US.

Lum_ posted:

Nah, pretty sure they're making bank from all the people logging in and buying quality of life stuff from the store. Plus I imagine a lot of people (like myself) plunked down for a month of VIP for the carryall.

Also Mordor and Minas Morgul aren't included in the 99c sale, so the newest expansions will still cost you. It'll just take you a while to need them.

It's almost certainly this. Consumables have been Lotro's leading revenue source ever since they were introduced and maybe that changed in the last few years but I doubt it. XP boosters in particular were a windfall for Turbine back at the start.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Nipponophile posted:

So, if they're giving away the quest packs for free, what's in the expansions that are going on sale? Instances, I guess, but anything else?

Quest packs are areas outside of expansions. Moria and Rohan expansions essentially block you from progressing further unless you have them -- you theoretically could, but it's really difficult and grindy.

Plus, Moria's the best expansion in LOTRO. Too bad about the two Rohan ones.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Lum_ posted:

Apparently it's 99 LotrO points, not 99 cents:

quote:

Additionally, in the near future, we will be conducting a limited time sale on select Expansion quests in the LOTRO Store where you will be able to pick up the following items for only 99 points:

So you could basically get nearly all of the expansions for free just by killing poo poo and doing deeds. :getin:

EDIT: If I already got the Quad Pack, the only expansion I could get for cheap would be Helm's Deep, right?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Comrade Koba posted:

Apparently it's 99 LotrO points, not 99 cents:

So you could basically get nearly all of the expansions for free just by killing poo poo and doing deeds. :getin:

Just buying LOTRO points is pretty close to 100 points for $1, but yeah, you can farm 200 points with a new character in about an hour and a half (if you want to work for less than minimum wage). Alternately, you probably already have about 500 points banked from deeds and whatnot.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409373382

Comrade Koba posted:

EDIT: If I already got the Quad Pack, the only expansion I could get for cheap would be Helm's Deep, right?

Yep, after that you'd get Gondor for free, then Mordor at current price, then North Mirkwood/Dale Lands/Vale of Anduin for free, then Minas Morgul at current price, then Mists of Wilderland for free, and then presumably the dwarf expansion when it comes out.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

I was starting to feel a bit of burnout slogging through Mirkwood, but this announcement will probably be motivation enough to power through and move on to Isengard and all the other stuff :dance:

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Mirkwood is definitely a letdown after Moria. I like the epic quest so far at least. I'm curious if this is/was a short expansion since its only 5 levels, or if most of the content was back loaded into fellowship quests at Dol Guldur that I haven't gotten to yet. According to google there was 11 months between Moria and Mirkwood, and almost 2 years between Mirkwood and Isengard. Did they add something else in between?

gyrf
Aug 14, 2010
Enedwaith.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

gyrf posted:

Enedwaith.

Ahh I got the starter for that but assumed it was the actual start of Isengard. I also got a lead in to a bunch of dungeons they added at some point in places like Forochel and the Trollshaws wight area.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

bagrada posted:

According to google there was 11 months between Moria and Mirkwood, and almost 2 years between Mirkwood and Isengard. Did they add something else in between?

The game was dying. They went free-to-play a year after Mirkwood and the game stopped dying.

This is a good roadmap if you're wondering where to go when: https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Zones_by_level

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I’m in as Hellhammer the dwarf champion. If I could get an invite sometime I’d appreciate it.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I’m in as Hellhammer the dwarf champion. If I could get an invite sometime I’d appreciate it.
Guildinvites in this game are a shitshow because both parties need to be online at the same time. I just tried, and of course you are not.

Try chatting up these people when you are online: Grodhir, Borbrack, Ranad, Browl, Dragonwort, Esgalad, Olwiel

Nektu fucked around with this message at 07:45 on May 30, 2020

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Careful, you just said the magic words that summon the developer defender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Nektu posted:

Guildinvites in this game are a shitshow because both parties need to be online at the same time. I just tried, and of course you are not.

Try chatting up these people when you are online: Grodhir, Borbrack, Ranad, Browl, Dragonwort, Esgalad, Olwiel

Thanks for the effort. I’ll be online in around an hour and I’ll try one of these dudes :)