Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Green Tea Erotica posted:

Kobold warlock with mask of many faces who is always disguised as a halfling to live amongst the more common races

pog boyfriend posted:

tortle fighter with tavern brawler that you give a bunch of random musical instruments to and stat them up like regular weapons but are improvised, the tortle introduces himself as a "one of a kind bard extraordinaire" to everyone including monsters before hitting them with a varied and wide arsenal of improvised weapons

Taeke posted:

A sorcerer that is absolutely convinced they're a cleric of Mystra.

A gimmick party where no one is what they present as would be fun. Especially if you can convince each of them that it’s a secret fun thing just for them that they should keep quiet about as long as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

pseudodragon posted:

A gimmick party where no one is what they present as would be fun. Especially if you can convince each of them that it’s a secret fun thing just for them that they should keep quiet about as long as possible.
The pixie idea from a few pages ago would be good. Pact of the Chain Warlock with a Pixie familiar, but the Pixie familiar is the "actual" character and the Warlock that does combat stuff is a uselessly enthralled sockpuppet.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
I'm about to play a changeling with mask of many faces soon and plan to just basically never be myself

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

pseudodragon posted:

Hilariously I think a couple of people in my party did this. Warlocks presenting themselves as non warlocks to the paladin.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
A gnome fighter rune knight (the UA) who grows to huge size in combat using giant rune magic. He maintains that on average he's normal sized.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Oof, time to find a new online game. My current DM just canceled the campaign after 4 months due to COVID recovery + other real life stuff going on

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

An old elf festooned with every type of jewelry imaginable. Rings on every finger, dozens of piercings, chains, anklets, necklaces, everything. He's completely under the thrall of one piece of sentient magical finery, but it's been so long that the object is embarassed to admit it's forgotten which accessory it is exactly. No way to be sure, taking any one of them off is like Russian roulette at this point.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Apparently our red dragon hoard has a mask of the red dragon in it.

quote:

Red Dragon Mask
Wondrous item, legendary (requires attunement)
This mask of glossy crimson has swept-back horns and spiked cheek ridges. The mask reshapes to fit a wearer attuned to it. While you are wearing the mask and attuned to it, you can access the following properties.

Damage Absorption. You have resistance against fire damage. If you already have resistance to fire damage from another source, you instead have immunity to fire damage. If you already have immunity to fire damage from another source, whenever you are subjected to fire damage, you take none of that damage and regain a number of hit points equal to half the damage dealt of that type.
Draconic Majesty. While you are wearing no armor, you can add your Charisma bonus to your Armor Class.
Dragon Breath. If you have a breath weapon that requires rest to recharge, it gains a recharge of 6.
Dragon Sight. You gain darkvision out to 60 feet, or to an additional 60 feet if you already have that sense. Once per day, you can gain blindsight out to 30 feet for 5 minutes.
Dragon Tongue. You can speak and understand Draconic. You also have advantage on any Charisma check you make against Red Dragons.
Legendary Resistance. (1/Day) If you fail a saving throw, you can choose to succeed instead.
Dragon Fire. If you deal fire damage to a creature or flammable object, it starts burning. At the start of each of its turns, a creature burning in this way takes 1d6 fire damage. A creature that can reach the burning target can use an action to extinguish the fire

Some nice upgrades for my Dragonborn Monk here. I already had fists of Burning, so that does an extra 1d6 on punching things. Get to use my breath weapon more often and maybe an extra point to my AC? Plus other small goodies, like no longer failing a crucial save once a day/long rest(?)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Yeah, the Dragon masks are all stupid strong and way overpowered for the adventures that drop them. They are all banned from Organized Play, and I'd be hesitant handing them out at home tables.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Is it that the items themselves are OP, or that they are awarded in relatively lower level adventures?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
A little of both. Legendary items are often just not balanced at all (see also Staff of the Magi), and since they get weighed against every other attunement item, they just are by far the best option at any point. The dragon masks, if you know you'll get one, allow you to get a ton of benefit. They might not be as big an issue as some other legendaries (although they are way up on the power curve), but RoT was often spitting out characters in early-mid Tier 3 and that was just way, way better than a T3 should have access to. It's a recurring theme that Hardcovers would regularly dump legendary items on below-level characters, which meant that if you just played the individual 1-shots, you'd be way below the power curve of people who played the Hardcovers.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Oh you're talking about AL.

Throw that out the window, does the answer change much? There's a few legendary items within a book I'm running but in a vacuum that kind of stuff doesn't seem so crazy.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My party was level 10, but we also beat a CR 24 red dragon to get it, so.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

My party was level 10, but we also beat a CR 24 red dragon to get it, so.

Do tell the secret how to!

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Terratina posted:

The ancient secrets of the action economy.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Honestly Dragon Masks just make dragonborn synergistic. A lot of their abilities should just be base dragonborn traits. They're certainly not any more overpowered than any other legendary item.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

My LMOP group left Cragmaw Cavern half-unexplored. I'm hoping learning about the Lionshield Coster shipment will send them back, but since they killed Klarg and Yeemik, the goblins are leaderless and anarchic. Which means I'ma drop a Nilbog on 'em.

Thinking about its abilities, the Nilbog is only truly vulnerable when its other goblin pals are dead, and its abilities are a perfect combination to allow it to tank, so it makes sense that if possible, it will move to a bottleneck and tank for shortbow goblins behind it. He's got the Charisma save before you can hit, which can eat up your actions, the ability to turn a hit into a heal, Vicious Mockery, (edit: and Confusion) and the ability to possess another goblin if it dies, which adds up to being a huge pain in the rear end if goblins are harassing you with arrows.

I'm really excited, guys. I think maybe its CR doesn't reflect how dangerous it can be with good tactics, so I'll probably dial it down to a medium encounter, but oh man.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

change my name posted:

Oof, time to find a new online game. My current DM just canceled the campaign after 4 months due to COVID recovery + other real life stuff going on

I'm looking for new Sunday games on Roll20 right now and I just clicked on one that had "players must be over the age of 30" as a requirement. Please spitball your most insane theories why

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

They want to play with people their age?

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

change my name posted:

I'm looking for new Sunday games on Roll20 right now and I just clicked on one that had "players must be over the age of 30" as a requirement. Please spitball your most insane theories why

They’re hoping people over 30 won’t be as inclined to rape NPCs or indiscriminately murder things?

Honestly they probably want other people who will understand the constant screaming children in the background every time they queue their mic

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I’m going to pick up dming again because two campaigns just died and I bet I can keep mine going. Probably going to try drop in/drop out friendly stuff, though. It’ll have to be homebrew.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

change my name posted:

I’d prefer that too, honestly. I’d go down to 25 though.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
The last time I played with freshmen students they all made rape jokes and were super edgy about things so I can completely understand age limits

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I think my biggest criticism of the Dragon Masks is that they are emblematic of the worst parts of 5E design. They weren't in the actual book they come from, just the online supplement, so they didn't have to be concerned with wordcounts or page layouts: they could have given them a cool page of lore befitting a set of legendary items, but... instead :fart:.

Like, I don't want to be that guy, but I remember when we'd get those doofy longwinded Encyclopedia Magicka books and even if you weren't just wholesale using that stuff, it was full of neat concepts that you could Frankenstein together to make your own rad items, and I really think that Legendary items, especially story-specific ones like the Dragon Masks should have that sort of background and lore in their block.

But, instead... we get a pile of stats that look like a powergamer just went through a list of checkboxes. That's not what I want from the items and they don't add enough to the game to justify balancing your encounters around them.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Considering the Dragon gets like 2 legendary actions on every character's turn, action economy isn't in our favour!

Terratina posted:

Half of us still died, but we did 90 damage up front because we built a MOAB that we sent in ahead of us and detonated it (probably losing half the hoard) and then had/used basically that anti-material rifle from Chiaki Coffin Princess that an artificer we came across had built specifically for hunting that dragon.

We had a... Battle Master Barbarian? Whatever it did, the Dragon attacked at disadvantage most of the encounter, and our Warlock after I burned its resistances came in and made it think its wings were tied up by chains so it couldn't do its wing attacks.

Two of us straight up died, the paladin forgot he had a kupo coin and so he revived halfway through again and healed a couple of us to last a few more rounds before dying again, another was downed, I got bewitched for a turn until I ate its fire breath, but in the opening round I got lucky (or rather the Dragon was unlucky) enough to burn all of its legendary resistances with my (DC15) stunning fist and on the last turn of the combat where it was do or die it crit failed it's roll and I finally stunned it.

Then it died, with me doing the final blow!

Then we ended the session there, but presumably we spent some diamonds to revive the people who were dead-dead.

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

I'm trying to create a scaled down version of https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Battle_Helmet_of_the_Battle-Ox_King,_Variant_(5e_Equipment) for my character. I'm playing a dwarven cleric in the war domain. My god is Clangeddin Silverbeard which makes me a Alaghor. In the information i can find about this god it states that Clangeddin's priests wore silver war helms and chain mail. I got the chain mail and now as my personal goal i'm looking to find a silver war helm. I trying to come up with one and so far i got this for an ability that the helm would give me:

Charging Strike. If you move at least 20 feet in a straight line towards a target, you may use your reaction to deliver a Charging Strike. Make a weapon attack with the helmet, and on a success, deal 1d6 + your Strength modifier and knock them back 15 feet. This affects creatures regardless of size.

Any thoughts on the ability ? I just realized that using it as a reaction i could potentially attack 3 times in one turn. Once as an actions, once with my war priest ability and once with this Charging Strike. And if i decide to pick up the dual wielding feat it goes up to 4 i think?

We just started playing and we're all pretty much newbies so i have no idea if this is overpowered or not. Right now we doing the Lost Mines of Phandelver and we're all level 2.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Have you ever quit a game because of how much the DM makes you cringe? I appreciate all the effort he puts into the game, but when he sings or starts testing his stand up material I just turn off the sound on my laptop.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

radlum posted:

Have you ever quit a game because of how much the DM makes you cringe? I appreciate all the effort he puts into the game, but when he sings or starts testing his stand up material I just turn off the sound on my laptop.

There are enough games out there looking for chill players that you should never be putting up with awful DMs at t this point.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Toshimo posted:

There are enough games out there looking for chill players that you should never be putting up with awful DMs at t this point.

Might not be an awful GM, just one who’s forcing himself to do Matt Mercer impressions because he thinks that’s a necessary skill for a GM. I’d recommend talking to him and seeing if he actually wants to do that stuff, or if he’s doing it because he thinks he has to.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
^^^^ Edit: also that

As an awful DM please don't tell my players they can leave me.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Yeah, I figured out pretty soon that I'm not exactly a voice actor, and much better at describing how and what's said rather than performing it that way. My players seem to appreciate it, and are a mixed bag when it comes to voicing their characters or describing them.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Arivia posted:

Might not be an awful GM, just one who’s forcing himself to do Matt Mercer impressions because he thinks that’s a necessary skill for a GM. I’d recommend talking to him and seeing if he actually wants to do that stuff, or if he’s doing it because he thinks he has to.

I think he enjoys that, I've known him for many years and I think he loves that stuff. Also, it might be a Mercer thing, since he has said a couple of times that he admires Mercer. I guess I'll ask the rest of the group, since they seem to be OK with it, maybe it's just me being to easily annoyed.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

As much good as Mercer and the podcast/livestreaming pros have done for the RPG community, I can't loving stand the people who badly imitate the format in new groups. Listening to a bunch of strangers doing funny voices and wacky disruptive antics instead of reading the room sucks the life right out of me.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
If the rest of the players don't mind it and the GM enjoys it, it's probably worth to try and get over it

I can see how it can be cringy to some extent though. Some of my long time friends do it but I've gotten used to it myself.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My DM does voices and they're alright. I balance it out by having even worse voices for my characters, in my mind all my Dragonborn come from the same area, are related to each other (none have died, I just rotate between different characters, and having them know each other already helps), and have a ludicrous southern accent, even to the point of eating grits.

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

I've done a voice for my character, as a player, I think twice. The first one was a bad Russian accent for a Iron Kingdoms game, and the second was basically me impersonating Don Knotts, doing a Grandpa Simpson impression while also being a faith healer. I liked the last one.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I find it really hard to maintain a voice. Since I'm playing an aarakocra these days, sometimes I sqauwk or caw-caw.

My DM does voices too but mostly they're comedy voices and he's not half bad at it. I don't think I could do it, too much work.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

character voices are great because they help differentiate in and out of character. i do voices for a lot of stuff, but i think that it is hardly a required skill for DMs. i will say however that it is one of the skills in my repertoire that i get the most mileage out of, nobody is asking for emmy level performances, but a modest amount of acting/improv experience and rudimentary voice talent can flesh out a lot of stuff for DMing. as for being a player... play with a good voice. generally, that is going to be your natural voice, and that is fine. if you have another character voice this helps a lot with discerning in and out of character stuff but you can live without it

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I'm currently a player in what feels like might be an actual real campaign for the first time in like twenty years, and have perhaps foolishly decided to play a character who is supposed to have a sort of Southern Belle accent but every time we sit down to play I immediately slip into a texas cowboy instead.

I do voices as a DM because I love doing them and it's an easy way to make a character memorable. I occasionally sing, though since my singing voice is not great I tend to save it for the occasional tavern song and such. If my players don't like it (and nobody's ever said they don't), tough, they can indulge me for thirty seconds out of three hours. If I need someone to sing something actually nice sounding, I'll usually use a folk song in a foreign language and just play it to the group and give a translation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

I really enjoy doing voices both as a character and DM but I've put effort into it to make sure they aren't too annoying or too racist. The folks I play with are maybe 50/50 on whether they do voices or not but we've never had an issue with it. I agree that having a character voice as a player helps separate dialogue from OOC chat but it's not essential.