Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Nobody's ever won a war by just saying "Yeah but your mum" though.

There are always casualties in war. If there weren't it wouldn't be war; just be a rather nasty argument with lots of pushing and shoving.

e: if there where 166 covid deaths per second the government would still end the lockdown.

sinky fucked around with this message at 09:43 on May 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Everyone thought 2012 was the predicted wild year, but it turns out they read it wrong and it was actually saying 20 two!

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

A few pages ago, but I'm also seeing pro-Chinese ads everywhere online. Its a mystery why they are trying to control the narrative 🤷

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Perhaps I should download an adblock browser

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Thanks for all the charging chat, thread.

One thing that makes me think the murder charge might actually have a chance of success is that apparently one of the other cops tries to check for vital signs and can't find a pulse two minutes before the knee is removed. (I've read, I haven't watched it).

Oh, and the same person linked earlier goes on to address pressure by the police on the autopsy report:

https://twitter.com/TomatoGrandpa/status/1266590282977554433?s=20

Prince John fucked around with this message at 10:12 on May 30, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Ratjaculation posted:

A few pages ago, but I'm also seeing pro-Chinese ads everywhere online. Its a mystery why they are trying to control the narrative 🤷

living under the CCP seems a drat sight better than under the tories rn. as long as you're not muslim anyway

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.

OwlFancier posted:

I was thinking maybe that's a thing that comes up, running into people who are doing the same thing with completely opposite components.

I guess I can see why people have the impulse to ask "how could you want to do that" except the difference is that I just trust that the person can simply see something I can't, because they wouldn't do something so gruelling without a good reason. Just cos masculinity has always been something for me to try and avoid being doesn't mean other people see it that way. Just have to trust I guess. I still don't like understanding that point of view though. Would feel more comfortable if I felt like there was more distance between me and them.

This might be a bit back but It's Interesting so I'm coming back to it.

As it happens for a long time part of the reason I was like "no i CAN'T be trans" (other than, like, the usual reasons baby transes think that) was because my experiences with masculinity were pretty much all bad. I can't really tell you what specifically turned it around for me but I think, broadly, it was being around trans & queer people and realising other masculinities existed. Like, masculinity does not have to be My Dad or the knobhead boys I remember from school.

...also a nonzero amount of my reflection on this came from being around the Gay Bits of Wrestling Fandom which might be slightly less universal in application. Maybe Golden Lovers trans'd me.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Jose posted:

living under the CCP seems a drat sight better than under the tories rn. as long as you're not muslim anyway

Yikes

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Jose posted:

:bravo: Your social credit score has increased by 100! :bravo: You are now eligible to travel in second class on long-distance trains! :bravo:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/realfarazmkhan/status/1266655673443651585?s=20

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Why are you dragging USPOL in here again?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Tbf children do make great soldiers

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Jose posted:

cool that we've got our own Wumao ITT now

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i was clearly talking about their handling of covid vs ours but go wild supporting the tories

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Jose posted:

Assuming that this wasn't just a comedy throwaway post, this is pretty misguided IMO.

We all love to moan about how terrible the Tories are, but we need to keep some perspective while we do so.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Jose posted:

i was clearly talking about their handling of covid vs ours but go wild supporting the tories

haha, sure
careful don't crash into anyone back pedalling that fast

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

why would i quote a post about the chinese trying to control the narrative in the UK when posting that when the only reason the chinese government would do right now that is specifically because they're getting blamed for coronavirus

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
This is like when jabby posted about Keir killing tories. Maybe any ironic posts here should be explained in spoiler tags for the hard of humouring :/

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/Mike_KumarSky/status/1266630307685548034?s=20

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Trin Tragula posted:

This is a really interesting point, and one of the contradictory things about policing and oversight of policing that nobody's really thought about properly, because it's pretty much an unsolvable problem.

The problem of cops writing the reports is largely addressed by always-on bodycams and microphones, preferably several of them on each cop.

We've had the technology to do it, easily, for a LONG time. It's also cheap as gently caress. The only reason we haven't is because cops know they break the rules and the law constantly.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Nobody's ever won a war by just saying "Yeah but your mum" though.
For it to be a real war you also have to kill a bunch of the plebs while saying that.

crispix posted:

This is like when jabby posted about Keir killing tories. Maybe any ironic posts here should be explained in spoiler tags for the hard of humouring :/

communism bitch posted:

we're not on reddit, we understand sarcasm.
/s

Trin Tragula posted:

This is a really interesting point, and one of the contradictory things about policing and oversight of policing that nobody's really thought about properly, because it's pretty much an unsolvable problem.
Isn't this what Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? has been spun as since at least the 19th century, so it's less that nobody's really thought about properly and more that it may not be thunkable? Also something something sousveillance.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/lucyhunterb/status/1266666828069310464?s=21

Good thread on the latest piece of English nationalist bullshit.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Guavanaut posted:

sousveillance

Steve Mann's most successful neologism, despite his continuing efforts to make the hydraulophone a thing Wikipedia won't put up for deletion.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

jabby posted:

The problem of cops writing the reports is largely addressed by always-on bodycams and microphones, preferably several of them on each cop.

We've had the technology to do it, easily, for a LONG time. It's also cheap as gently caress. The only reason we haven't is because cops know they break the rules and the law constantly.

Also, because it only very rarely has an impact on people in power.
Plebgate is the one of the few instances where someone in a position of power has had to deal with the repercussions of the police being reprehensible and making poo poo up. And, surprising no-one, "the truth" came out in favour of the person in power.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Darth Walrus posted:

What's the intended point of this?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

jabby posted:

In the states bodycams have been good for the cops cause now they can broadcast their murders and still get away with it. Which makes for considerably more effective terrorism imo

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
It's properly hot where I am today. Sun feels really strong.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

What's the intended point of this?

On one level, to prevent the inevitable brain drain when young people decide they'd like to have jobs. On another, how are you going to keep them down on the farm once they've seen Paree?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Rust Martialis posted:

Why are you dragging USPOL in here again?

Because there's a big story in the news right now and it's nice to discuss it without having to sift through 1800 posts per minute in USPol threads & with people who aren't simpering liberals who weep when a window gets broken. (USPol might not be that lovely any more, as I said, it's too active to keep up with)

https://twitter.com/wariotifo/status/1266682817582444544?s=20

Brendan Spiked as The Leader is really fitting.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/lucyhunterb/status/1266666828069310464?s=21

For a supposedly unionist party the Tories are really going all in on ending the Union.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol

https://twitter.com/louisducdanjou/status/1266578058452054016?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I like Duc à l'orange.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
should have taken his head instead

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

That is a really enjoyable Twitter thread.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why would you even brag about being the heir of louis XVI?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/sfleetucker/status/1266508717039575045?s=20

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Why would you even brag about being the heir of louis XVI?

Someone in the thread mentioned that he's also heir to Dictator Franco. I wonder if he brags about that?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/j_connolly1920/status/1266660438189780992?s=20

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Someone in the thread mentioned that he's also heir to Dictator Franco. I wonder if he brags about that?

gently caress, so he is. His granny was Franco's only child. That's tremendous. When his mum dies he gets to add Duke of Franco to his titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/robertjwest/status/1266677760728207360?s=21

Another SAGE member going rogue.