Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I still don't know what units are good or how to build an army or if I should diversify my armies. Like... do I go 4x Hellstorm Rocket Batteries, 2x Helblaster Volley Guns? Ignore the Volley Guns? Do I use Steam Tanks? I don't know since I rarely ever use them! How many Demigryph's? Outriders? Handgunners or Huntsmen (Except in Markus's army that answers itself) Do I ever bother getting Emperors Finest?! HALBERDS?! SPEARMEN? AAAAAAAAAAAAA-

So yeah, I is bad at game I play like 2000 hours in all up. And this is the ONLY FACTION I PLAY I'M NOT JOKING.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Onmi posted:

I still don't know what units are good or how to build an army or if I should diversify my armies. Like... do I go 4x Hellstorm Rocket Batteries, 2x Helblaster Volley Guns? Ignore the Volley Guns? Do I use Steam Tanks? I don't know since I rarely ever use them! How many Demigryph's? Outriders? Handgunners or Huntsmen (Except in Markus's army that answers itself) Do I ever bother getting Emperors Finest?! HALBERDS?! SPEARMEN? AAAAAAAAAAAAA-

So yeah, I is bad at game I play like 2000 hours in all up. And this is the ONLY FACTION I PLAY I'M NOT JOKING.

You take whatever makes Sigmar smile

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Karl Franz forever is a great choice as well because you get to experience how swingy the game is now and fight whatever horror poo poo wins in world warhammer and it rules.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Onmi posted:

Do people do this? Just play the same faction over and over?

*kicks at least a couple hundred hours of Ikkit Claw under the bed*

loving weirdos.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I am getting real tired of the knights of origo existing

always declaring war on the player, more or less, is one thing. it's cute and funny, sure! doing that will producing three stacks with one tiny, lovely island province is another. rip arkhan campaign.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Man, Skaven sucks rear end.

People can complain about Ordertide or Greentide or Elventide or whatever but Skaven are by far the most annoying faction when they get big. Hell, even when they are fairly minor they manage to be far more obnoxious than any serious threats.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Man, Skaven sucks rear end.

People can complain about Ordertide or Greentide or Elventide or whatever but Skaven are by far the most annoying faction when they get big. Hell, even when they are fairly minor they manage to be far more obnoxious than any serious threats.

Sieging a high level Skaven city is probably the least fun thing in the entire game for me.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So, GCCM can be interesting, because it adds a variety of maps into the game, and that's nice... but they're kinda all easy as hell.

This Skaven Garrison and stack, foolishly, believed that they could get at my army, unfortunately for them, being next to a sheer cliff both ways means their entire force got to enter a kill zone, and when the mortar weren't confused by the terrain, those that survived were melted beneath raining death.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Ethiser posted:

Sieging a high level Skaven city is probably the least fun thing in the entire game for me.

I keep an agent that can destroy walls with me at all times when I am up against Skaven settlements.

Also, I wish every lord had a skill that increases underway interception chance. Just replace the recruitment cost skill, since nobody takes that anyway.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

I keep an agent that can destroy walls with me at all times when I am up against Skaven settlements.

Also, I wish every lord had a skill that increases underway interception chance. Just replace the recruitment cost skill, since nobody takes that anyway.

I... I take the recruitment cost skill... until recently I prioritized it over the skill to reduce attrition damage.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I've done two Grom ME campaigns now and both are fun until they extremely aren't. My gobbos are insane, like 50+ MA but the map itself is giving me issues. I can't field enough armies to hold all of these Bret lands, but I can't stop attacking the north and now the east as both Couronne and Reikland are at war with me. Now I am starting to get big stacks of strong HE armies landing on my coast with basically nothing to hold them back. I did confederate Skarsnik which is a great combo with Grom, both are goblin buffing lords which keeps the upkeep down.

Are players typically occupying all these bret lands or just sacking a bunch and then doing a d-day on elf island? I own everything except Lyonesse and Couronne itself in not-France, but its a lot of distance to cover and I don't seem to be making all that much money to bring up extra armies.

Its cool that my goblins are the best units in the game but it does take the fun away from using 'better' units like black orcs.

e: i should probably restart anyway so I can recruit the black orc hero since its bugged out in my current campaign.

The Duggler fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 30, 2020

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Jesus the rats are just cripplingly unfun to fight. Every campaign where i end up in a campaign against them i end up really bored and quitting halfway through.

E: It doesn't help that the rats are the only faction that spend 90% of the campaign making me play whack a mole.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 30, 2020

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Morathi owns Ulthuan and declared on half the world, but Malekith bailed on her. If she draws the sword of Khaine it either goes to Nakai and I spend the rest of my game lamenting how it could have gone to Kroq-Gar, or it goes to Tiktak'to and I have to change all the game's music files to Danger Zone.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I'm over the hump in my Imrik ME VH campaign but drat that was a rough start. Took out the dwarves then ended up in a hellwar with Snikch. Finished him then the goblins nearby and made the mistake of confederating with Caledor. Tyrion wardecs next turn and I have to fend him off for 20 turns. Now Malus keeps raiding my territory but it's hard to finish him off. On top of that my economy is loving awful because my capital cut off from everything.

Now Grimgor is up to 20 settlements and I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop. I like challenge but this is getting to be supremely unfun. At least make Malus' islands green for Imrik, loving hell. Huge distances to travel makes defense annoying out here and every other race has better movement stances/options. They really needed another balancing pass on this because it's such an utter slog, the campaign portion blows.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The worst thing about skaven is that they are so unfun to fight. Other factions may be boring but almost everything about skaven seems designed to make it as miserable an experience as possible.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Onmi posted:

So, GCCM can be interesting, because it adds a variety of maps into the game, and that's nice... but they're kinda all easy as hell.

This Skaven Garrison and stack, foolishly, believed that they could get at my army, unfortunately for them, being next to a sheer cliff both ways means their entire force got to enter a kill zone, and when the mortar weren't confused by the terrain, those that survived were melted beneath raining death.

Zhufbar is the exact same way. Huge map where the attackers pass under a waterfall through a narrowish cave to reach the gates of the city, which then sprawls out into a massive 3 control point urban map with districts and wide streets and natural chokepoints. But there’s also a cave passage that the attacker can deploy vanguard units into that leads into the city past the gates, meaning the attacker will leave all their forces at the front while a bunch of night goblins stealth through the city, capture all 3 control points, and by the time the AI figures out what to do, the dwarfs are too slow to actually reach the control points in time before losing outright. 3 stacks vs 3 stacks capital siege and not a single casualty on either side.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Onmi posted:

It's hard to go wrong! I had never really messed with Steam Tanks much, but recently I played a Gelt game and got access to the state troop special one early on. I found them to be quite effective - their guns aren't terribly impressive, it's just a single cannon, but they're good for screening your gunline. 2 or 3 of them can disrupt the enemy charge and force them to ball up for easy shooting. They're also decent for protecting your flanks if you're running a melee front line.

I like the mix of Hellstorms and volley guns - when your battle lines merge, Hellstorms become difficult/impossible to use. Volley guns can function like handgunners though and fire point blank into enemies if you use a checkerboard formation. Also, nothing tears down walls faster than a couple of volley guns.

Basic outriders are decent, they're quick and pack a stronger ranged punch than just about any other skirmishing cavalry. They can also fire over the heads of infantry, so you can park them behind handgunners. But in terms of sheer killing power, the grenade launcher version is just completely insane and there's often little reason to use the standard ones.

Demigryphs are one of the strongest units in the game, but I never really seem to find a place for them. In a gunline army, they can do some work in protecting your flanks from enemy cavalry, but so can plenty of other units that can also contribute to the ranged attacking. Karl Franz tends to run a melee and cavalry heavy army where it would make sense to use strong monstrous cavalry like demigryphs, but he gets bonuses to Reiksguard, so why bother?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah sieges already suck and rats are custom-designed to be hellish to assault. Their towers are op as gently caress, warp lighting spam on the walls, plagueclaws inevery garrison, spawning rats on your arty, etc. It would make sense to allow ratlings and jezzails on walls but also holy gently caress that would be a slog.

It's thematic but still.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It would also be thematic if skaven factions were constantly splintering and that most of their fancy toys blow up.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Sieges suck in general, but I fondly remember when I sieged a skaven city with a huge garrison when Kroak was released and he got over 1k deaths in his first battle.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Hunt11 posted:

It would also be thematic if skaven factions were constantly splintering and that most of their fancy toys blow up.

So the blowing up thing doesn't happen, but in theory the "constantly splintering" part does since they have absolute poo poo control and are rebelling constantly. Problem is that's mostly for the player, the AI gets to cheat with a sizeable public opinion buff.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

All skaven armies should be suffering from attrition at all times, and every leader should be constantly attacked by assassins every turn to fully capture the essence of those (power) hungry rats

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

orangelex44 posted:

So the blowing up thing doesn't happen, but in theory the "constantly splintering" part does since they have absolute poo poo control and are rebelling constantly. Problem is that's mostly for the player, the AI gets to cheat with a sizeable public opinion buff.

It also sucks in battle because the ideal way to fight skaven is "gunline bigger than theirs and something to blow up the weapon teams" because otherwise you literally need to micro the entire battle in slow motion to stop all your units from getting pulled out by the constantly reforming skaven.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Woah I haven't watched Turin in a while-goddam that mullet/stache combo is dire.

I know he's aware of how dire it is but drat man. He's normally pretty good-looking.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Use guard mode when fighting skaven. You can't catch them when they run so its better to have your frontline stay cohesive.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Might be an unpopular opinion but I think Skaven are too powerful now. They are so multifaceted and have few downsides. They can gently caress you in battle and on the campaign map in so many different ways. If nothing else they should rout a lot easier than they do or at least stay routed.

I like playing Skaven but its frankly not much of a challenge outside of Tretch, they are just kind of absurd. Ikit especially is just so ridiculous.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The Gunslinger posted:

Might be an unpopular opinion but I think Skaven are too powerful now.

True but they are easily counterable: https://youtu.be/OXQwx1EolD8

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Woah I haven't watched Turin in a while-goddam that mullet/stache combo is dire.

I know he's aware of how dire it is but drat man. He's normally pretty good-looking.

It's 100% intentional, he jokes about it every time he streams.
I think a lot of the donations also encourages it.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
So you can capture the pirate lords from the random sea pop-ups, and get the message for it, but they don't show up in your dungeon. I assume that's intended, but then you shouldn't get the event message for it.
I also captured Arenessa; I assume that if I hold her she doesn't get to respawn in the world. Yeah, she's gonna be there for a while.

Also agree on rats just being miserable to play against. Even making friends with them doesn't work because the corruption penalties for being next to them are so massive.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I wonder if there is a mod that uncaps splash damage on all area attack units, so instead of damaging 3 models and knocking back 20, it instead damages all 23 models it hits. gently caress balance, I want mayhem.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The skaven are probably too powerful but I think they're very fun.

However their weapon teams probably need to see a slight nerfing, mostly ratling gunners. Fortunately the AI isn't good enough to take advantage of the skavens strongest units

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Chocobo posted:

I wonder if there is a mod that uncaps splash damage on all area attack units, so instead of damaging 3 models and knocking back 20, it instead damages all 23 models it hits. gently caress balance, I want mayhem.

So instead of doing (weapon damage)/3 damage to 3 units, you'd do (weapon damage)/23 to 23 units? That seems like it would just nerf splash damage by making it much less likely to kill models. Making it also do full damage to every model hit would lead to mayhem, sure, but I doubt that kind of change is possible in a mod. Just increasing the limit on how many models a unit can splash on to 999 on every unit that does splash damage should be, though. I assume you'd also allow every splash damage unit to splash on anything, since a lot of units only do splash on infantry.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Both the games are on sale this weekend, thinking of picking them up.

I have played several TW games in the past and they have been great fun the first few hours but its quickly apparent that they all are the emperors new PC game. You manage to hype yourself up that these epic battles you are playing are really epic but the truth is that they all look like amateur hour. There is so little oomph to the fighting. If 2 units clash at a slight angle then only the corners engage, the whole unit stops when a member of the unit is engaged so you have like 4 dudes fighting and 116 dudes flailing their swords. Very unsatisfying. Charges rarely work; very satisfying when they do, but for the most part they are afflicted with one of the many ways the charge can fail, like the cavalry unit just stopping in their tracks right before impact, or impacting but nothing really happens, and if you dont double click the enemy at the exact right double click speed then the cavalry will just trot over to the enemy instead of charging.

Each new installment of TW felt like they improved a select few things that didn't work that well with the previous versions, added new gameplay features (like more advanced diplomacy) and dazzled and hyped everyone with INDIVIDUAL MUSTACHE HAIR ON EVERY DUDE IN YOUR ARMY or other unwanted graphics improvements, so i stopped buying TW games with Empire Total War.

I notice they review very well on Steam, but thats also true for the other TW games so maybe i am the one in the wrong here. I really want to like these games as im a huge sucker for swordfighting movie battles, but they always felt so fiddly and unsatisfying to play. Have the games improved since Empire? Has TW reached the type of polish i hope for with TW:WH or is it just more of the same fiddlyness but this time with warhammer skins?

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Onmi posted:

It me except most of my WH1 playtime. Franz is the best

^^^ you're not wrong, but the WH games bring a lot of variety and chaos that the historical games just can't. The fights can become very chaotic, and pulling through can be pretty satisfying. The flavor can alleviate some of the monotony you're referencing. Hammer-and-anvil tactics sure take on a different meaning when your hammer is angry dinosaurs or dragon ogres.

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 30, 2020

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
You're not wrong about anything, but the fantasy setting makes the corny battles a little more fun and enjoyable, though nothing is really epic when you have to fight 3-5 epic battles per turn by late game. Empire was really the low point of CA, I think, and maybe their absolute laziest. It really helps if you like warhams, though.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

It's 100% intentional, he jokes about it every time he streams.
I think a lot of the donations also encourages it.

Yeah, I've watched a decent number tournaments and such he did recently and it was a bet or donation pledge or something that he would sport an 80s mullet and a moustache for the next Everchosen.

Ineptitude posted:

Each new installment of TW felt like they improved a select few things that didn't work that well with the previous versions, added new gameplay features (like more advanced diplomacy) and dazzled and hyped everyone with INDIVIDUAL MUSTACHE HAIR ON EVERY DUDE IN YOUR ARMY or other unwanted graphics improvements, so i stopped buying TW games with Empire Total War.

Honestly, Empire was kind of the low-point of the entire series, coming strong off Shogun 2 and it was this janky, buggy mess with a completely braindead AI. People still complain about the AI, but that was a real low point (I also think that the Medieval 2 AI, looking back, was particularly bad, but the rest of the game pulled that one through). Napoleon was somewhat better, but I never played it much, Rome 2 was kind of a disaster at launch, but they've devoted an awful lot of work to trying to patch it up and make it better, and now it's pretty drat good actually, though it feels a bit dated compared to the newer games that came after. People poo poo on Attila, but I actually really liked it right from launch, very different campaign and I really liked the battles. maybe I'm weird (I also really like the time period). The Warhammers you've probably already heard about and Three Kingdoms has an amazing campaign layer and probably the best campaign AI and diplomacy they've ever done in a game, and the battles are pretty, but kind of shallow.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 30, 2020

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Up Circle posted:

You're not wrong about anything, but the fantasy setting makes the corny battles a little more fun and enjoyable, though nothing is really epic when you have to fight 3-5 epic battles per turn by late game. Empire was really the low point of CA, I think, and maybe their absolute laziest. It really helps if you like warhams, though.

Napoleon on the other hand is one of their best games. So vastly improved from Empire. I think Shogun 2 might be as far back as I can go play-ability wise though. The Empire feels a bit like playing Napoleon.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

Staltran posted:

So instead of doing (weapon damage)/3 damage to 3 units, you'd do (weapon damage)/23 to 23 units? That seems like it would just nerf splash damage by making it much less likely to kill models. Making it also do full damage to every model hit would lead to mayhem, sure, but I doubt that kind of change is possible in a mod. Just increasing the limit on how many models a unit can splash on to 999 on every unit that does splash damage should be, though. I assume you'd also allow every splash damage unit to splash on anything, since a lot of units only do splash on infantry.

Well then I guess I'd need a mod that universally multiplies melee damage by 10-20x as well.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I can't go back to anything that allowed the ai to build infinite tiny stacks. Especially when there are infinite tiny boat stacks as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I can't go back to anything that allowed the ai to build infinite tiny stacks. Especially when there are infinite tiny boat stacks as well.

Extremely same. Though I could possibly tolerate the risk maps of Medieval and Shogun 1, but there's a whole bunch of other stuff that makes those games clunky and dated. I do feel like their simplicity and such might have lent themselves better to the AI though, even on the battle map. To date Medieval 1 is the only game in the series where I've truly been ambushed by the AI in battle and where I once one a battle without fighting the enemy army, simply by constantly maneuvring to place myself in a superior position (high ground was extremely important in Medieval 1, both defending on and charging down from) until the enemy army just withdrew.