Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

FogHelmut posted:

I've noticed the absurd $1500 truck listings lately. And they're all $1500.

I don't know why they choose that p[rice point, but I think it costs money now to list a car on CL, so all the scammers fled to FB Marketplace. Not to say they're all scams (as opposed to just trying a bait and switch or upsell,) but they look it to me.

And yeah, even in my low population area, I notice a lot of them, though they all seem to be posted by a Dealership, my guess is because it's a lot easier to make a face FB profile for as business than a personal one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Likely getting a house pretty soon, and will want to get some tools together pretty soon after to get a few outdoor projects done while it's nice out. The first things I'll want need to make are some planter boxes and a new fence gate, but after that will likely be eventually replacing most of the fence and maybe making bits of random furniture (starting with stuff like garage tables).
Aside from the basics (hammer/drill/impact driver/etc), what is the most important big tool I'd need? It looks like it might be a table saw, and the Dewalt one seems regarded pretty highly?

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
You probably want to start with a miter saw first, you don't need to spend much money for a decent non-sliding 12'' model and it'd be perfect for the projects you mentioned. I'd recommend starting with that and a circular saw before jumping to a table saw.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Agreed, for what you're talking about (planter boxes, fence stuff) you're probably going to be fine with a miter saw and maybe a circular saw. Miter saws are great at making crosscuts (across a long board) and, well, miter cuts.

Circular saws are useful for cutting down plywood or other sheet goods, and with proper support and an edge guide can make acceptable rip cuts in solid lumber. There's all sorts of other stuff you can do with a circular saw if you're comfortable with it and willing to do some cleanup by hand.

I've made a lot of planter boxes with just a miter saw and a drill for screwing it together. An impact driver helps it go faster, but it's not strictly necessary. I've never built a fence or a gate, but you shouldn't need a table saw for that. If you can get what you need to get done with lumber from HD/Lowe's/etc crosscut to length/cut at a miter, you don't need a table saw.

edit: get clamps, at least one square (probably a speed square or a 12" combination square) and something you can use a long straight edge, like a good level

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Bob Mundon posted:

Currently don't have a bandsaw but the flexibility it has interests me. Saw this posted on CL for $275, that sounds really high for what a used 14in bandsaw should run. Worth picking up and if so what should I offer? No fence and no quick tensioner so I assume it should be a lot less than the $275 listed right? Boards are expensive where I'm at so being able to resaw 2x material sounds good, this would be way better than buying a similarly priced 10in right?

Where around Waco are you(I see that is in Blum)? $275 is great price for a solid 14" around North Texas as you normally see beat to poo poo Deltas for $450+. There are also a ton of mills around but take some searching to find, a lot of farm boys with trailer mills.

edit: Your profile says Richardson, I am in Carrollton. Dakota Hardwood, Central Hardwoods, Hardwood Lumber Company, and McKinney Hardwoods all have no problem with walk ins/small orders and most will let you pick through the stack too. My go to is Dakota usually best price and anything over $300 has free delivery. There is Loyd up in Plano planomill.com if your looking for slabs.

JEEVES420 fucked around with this message at 08:46 on May 29, 2020

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

more falafel please posted:

Agreed, for what you're talking about (planter boxes, fence stuff) you're probably going to be fine with a miter saw and maybe a circular saw. Miter saws are great at making crosscuts (across a long board) and, well, miter cuts.

Circular saws are useful for cutting down plywood or other sheet goods, and with proper support and an edge guide can make acceptable rip cuts in solid lumber. There's all sorts of other stuff you can do with a circular saw if you're comfortable with it and willing to do some cleanup by hand.

I've made a lot of planter boxes with just a miter saw and a drill for screwing it together. An impact driver helps it go faster, but it's not strictly necessary. I've never built a fence or a gate, but you shouldn't need a table saw for that. If you can get what you need to get done with lumber from HD/Lowe's/etc crosscut to length/cut at a miter, you don't need a table saw.

edit: get clamps, at least one square (probably a speed square or a 12" combination square) and something you can use a long straight edge, like a good level

I might even go so far as to suggest starting with just a regular everyday handsaw, and then buying machines for more speed and precision later. They're so cheap that there's very little buyer's remorse and with a bit of practice you can get quite good freehand crosscuts.

Buy the mitre when you're sick of handsawing and buy the table saw when you stare blankly at a piece of wood with no idea how to safely cut it on the mitre.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Hand saws are great, I use mine all the time when I don't feel like getting the big saw out.

As far as power tools, a good drill and a circular saw are top two. Then you can branch out to impact drivers and miter saws and jigsaws and table saws. But you can do 90% with a circular saw and a speed square. Some sawhorses, clamps, and straight edge cutting guide (a big level) will help, and have other uses.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
A speed square and a C-clamp are all you need for crosscuts at 90°. Two C-clamps and a 2x4 for ripping.

The fancier tools just have clamps and edges built-in for speed. With the possible exception of mitres and bevels bigger saws don't let you do more, they just let you do what you already could faster.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

DreadLlama posted:

The fancier tools just have clamps and edges built-in for speed. With the possible exception of mitres and bevels bigger saws don't let you do more, they just let you do what you already could faster.

Another way I think of it is some tools are designed for you to take the tool to the work, while others are designed for taking the work to the tool.

The former is better for large stock since that's awkward to move, and OK for situations where you only have to do one or two because you have to repeat any set up each time (in your example the speed square and clamp).

The latter is better for small stock, and things where you need to do a bunch, since you only need to do the set up once.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

JEEVES420 posted:

Where around Waco are you(I see that is in Blum)? $275 is great price for a solid 14" around North Texas as you normally see beat to poo poo Deltas for $450+. There are also a ton of mills around but take some searching to find, a lot of farm boys with trailer mills.

edit: Your profile says Richardson, I am in Carrollton. Dakota Hardwood, Central Hardwoods, Hardwood Lumber Company, and McKinney Hardwoods all have no problem with walk ins/small orders and most will let you pick through the stack too. My go to is Dakota usually best price and anything over $300 has free delivery. There is Loyd up in Plano planomill.com if your looking for slabs.

Friend, you only go to Plano if you want plano lumber. :dadjoke:

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Thanks for the input. I was kinda thinking for future growth but it sounds like I don't have a need for a table saw yet, so I'll start with that miter saw and drill (maybe driver), and my dad has offered his excess small stuff, so that should cover squares/clamps/levels. I'm certain that I'll be cutting hardwood at some point, does that affect anything, or should I just go for a well reviewed miter saw and switch blades if needed?

darkspider42
Oct 7, 2004

Best Buy security. You'll have to come with me sir.

Lhet posted:

my dad has offered his excess small stuff, so that should cover squares/clamps/levels.

Not a true statement.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

darkspider42 posted:

Not a true statement.

Ok sure, but they're pretty cheap and it's not a big deal to get more every time I go to the store.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Lhet posted:

Ok sure, but they're pretty cheap and it's not a big deal to get more every time I go to the store.

That's the spirit. Every trip to Lowe's I grab a kobalt $7 folding utility knife and every time I go to harbor freight I grab some clamps.
I also have 2 boxes of #2 pencils that I spread around my work bags.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Lhet posted:

When you get spoiled on Bessey K bars its hard to buy a lovely/cheap F bar (bow bar) :( my middle ground is 1/2" pipe clamps but even those run you about $25 once you buy the pipe to go with it.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

JEEVES420 posted:

When you get spoiled on Bessey K bars its hard to buy a lovely/cheap F bar (bow bar) :( my middle ground is 1/2" pipe clamps but even those run you about $25 once you buy the pipe to go with it.

Yeah (good) clamps ain’t cheap. Good C-clamps especially, and I’m always shocked how much iron pipe costs. I’ve never felt very confident using f-clamps for glue ups-there’s just not enough leverage to really squeeze the juice out.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

JEEVES420 posted:

I got a shitload of black 1/2" and 3/4" pipe from remodels that were redoing the gas. :smuggo:

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Lhet posted:

Thanks for the input. I was kinda thinking for future growth but it sounds like I don't have a need for a table saw yet, so I'll start with that miter saw and drill (maybe driver), and my dad has offered his excess small stuff, so that should cover squares/clamps/levels. I'm certain that I'll be cutting hardwood at some point, does that affect anything, or should I just go for a well reviewed miter saw and switch blades if needed?

Definitely get the driver if you're getting a cordless drill. Impact drivers are like magic.

'Hardwoods' aren't necessarily harder than softwoods, it's a confusing naming convention. Most decent quality blades will give good results on all but the hardest wood as long as you don't abuse them (cut metal, glass composites, etc.)

And agreed you can never have too many clamps.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The $3 6" harbor freight F clamps are what I use 90% of the time and they are absolutely worth the price

Any of the other harbor freight F clamps are straight trash, though

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Sockser posted:

The $3 6" harbor freight F clamps are what I use 90% of the time and they are absolutely worth the price

Any of the other harbor freight F clamps are straight trash, though

I will agree they are worth it but 6" is about the limit on HF F clamps. On the other hand if they are quality made then 12".

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

JEEVES420 posted:

That's about a decade old at this point, down in Hewitt (Waco suburb) now. There is a mill in Valley Mills which I need to stop by at some point, but sticking with Southern Yellow Pine until I get better at this and can start dropping hardwood money.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

I'm in Dallas, grew up in hewitt though. Feels like every time I check craigslist the best deals on tools are in the waco area. Keep watching.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Bob Mundon posted:

That's about a decade old at this point, down in Hewitt (Waco suburb) now. There is a mill in Valley Mills which I need to stop by at some point, but sticking with Southern Yellow Pine until I get better at this and can start dropping hardwood money.

This really ought to be in woodworking thread, but Yellow Pine is primo stuff and should not be dissed- we had an evangelist for it a few years back in that thread. Workbench, furniture, it's quite alright.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Mr. Mambold posted:

This really ought to be in woodworking thread, but Yellow Pine is primo stuff and should not be dissed- we had an evangelist for it a few years back in that thread. Workbench, furniture, it's quite alright.

Reminder that people are spending hundreds of thousands dredging up sunken logs across the southeast to harvest the "old growth" SYP

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Hubis posted:

Reminder that people are spending hundreds of thousands dredging up sunken logs across the southeast to harvest the "old growth" SYP

is "old growth" the new "reclaimed"?

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a good gutter cleaning attachment for a pressure washer? I finally picked up my pressure washer today (Honda/Simpson 3200psi) and I the store did not have many accessories at all.

Also, any other attachments that I will find out are super useful?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

JEEVES420 posted:

is "old growth" the new "reclaimed"?

It’s really sort of the other way around. Old heart pine had its real heyday 20-30 years ago before ‘reclaimed’ got cool. The supply used to pretty plentiful as many places still thought tearing down old parts of town to build interstates was a good idea, but as we’ve realized that’s not a great plan and old warehouses get turned into condo’s instead of having their timbers salvaged, the supply has shrunk a lot more and so folks are digging around underwater more.

Heart pine is night and day different from plantation grown 2x4s. It’s hard as hell and a bit of a nightmare to work with (the usual ‘reclaimed’ problems of nails but pitch pitch pitch pitch pitch) but it sure is pretty when you’re done. It ha a warm orange color with reddish brown growth rings that I have never been able to replicate in new pine (and god have I tried).

New pine still has the same impressive strength values that make it such an ideal framing lumber and can be pretty like Mambold alluded to. It is one of the strongest and stiffest woods per pound out there. Nice clear stuff is available it just isn’t at a big box and is a bit more expensive.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Heart pine is night and day different from plantation grown 2x4s. It’s hard as hell and a bit of a nightmare to work with (the usual ‘reclaimed’ problems of nails but pitch pitch pitch pitch pitch) but it sure is pretty when you’re done. It ha a warm orange color with reddish brown growth rings that I have never been able to replicate in new pine (and god have I tried).

I'm pretty sure that's what I used for a Bluetooth stereo a while back and you're right on all counts:

Trabant posted:

Made a Bluetooth/3.5mm line-in speaker:

Although the smell while working that stuff is just :kiss:

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Trabant posted:

I'm pretty sure that's what I used for a Bluetooth stereo a while back and you're right on all counts:

Although the smell while working that stuff is just :kiss:

That is just gorgeous

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
Along with tools don't forget about a place to work. Ideally a proper workbench, but if you don't have the space or money a folding table, a set of folding saw horses, or WorkMate is really handy. The WorkMate is always useful to keep around when you upgrade. Mine is on its second top and should probably get a new one again soon.

On clamps, the formula for # of clamps needed for a glue-up = N + 3, where N = the number of clamps available within a fifteen minute drive of your worksite.

My wife makes fun of my clamp collection but the formula continues to hold.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Air Framing nailer question, there's a cheap Bostitch N80 available near me, assuming it works is it any good? I can't decipher a million contradictory reviews and want to build a timber framed structure.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
My personal take on nailers for framing is that firing a 16d nail (1/8" thick, 3.5" long steel spike) with air pressure is loving scary, I'll use a hammer thank you very much. I still use nailers for stuff like sheathing, and a palm nailer is invaluable for nailing in tight confines (:v:) but for attaching studs to plates and so on, a hammer won't really slow you down noticeably.

I don't know anything about that particular nailer, just trying to make the point that if you think you need to be able to fire 16d nails with your nailer, I suggest giving that some more consideration.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Air Framing nailer question, there's a cheap Bostitch N80 available near me, assuming it works is it any good? I can't decipher a million contradictory reviews and want to build a timber framed structure.

Timber frame to me implies 4" x minimum- literal timbers that take railroad size spikes, so idk how useful a framing nailer would be.

Edit: if you're thinking stick framing with 2 x 4's typically, have at it.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

My personal take on nailers for framing is that firing a 16d nail (1/8" thick, 3.5" long steel spike) with air pressure is loving scary, I'll use a hammer thank you very much. I still use nailers for stuff like sheathing, and a palm nailer is invaluable for nailing in tight confines (:v:) but for attaching studs to plates and so on, a hammer won't really slow you down noticeably.

I don't know anything about that particular nailer, just trying to make the point that if you think you need to be able to fire 16d nails with your nailer, I suggest giving that some more consideration.
I think the biggest danger with a framing nailer is the potential for kick back that might cause the fun to double fire somewhere unintended. For a home gamer, I think the idea of a contact or bump fire trigger is a bad idea, but a sequential doesn't seem unnecessarily dangerous. That said, I the horror stores I found they said Porter Cable and to a lesser extent DeWalt nailers have a tendency to double fire, but Senco and Hitachi were recommended brands. I have no idea if a Bostitch framing nailer is good or not but considering the danger I wouldn't want a used framing nailer as my first framing nail gun.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

gently caress it I'll use a hammer.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I don't have a framing nailer but the Bostitch nail guns that I do have are sequential fire. That is the nailer must be firmly pressed against the wood before you can pull the trigger. You can't just hold down the trigger and jab it at things.

The thing that confuses me about the framing nailers is all of the different angle versions that they come in.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Probably not the best thread for this question but since we're on the subject of framing. Cost aside, can you use the appropriate sized screws rather than nails for framing a house? Like I understand different jurisdictions = different building codes, but is the reason people don't use screws for framing a function of "nails are cheaper, and faster and we don't have the budget", or is there some other reason like screws bend/break easier?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

nails are designed for shear loads, screws are better in tension.

most building codes are written under the assumption you are framing with nails.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

From everything I've been reading recently it's a little from column "code", a little from column "2000 nails are cheaper than 2000 screws" and a little from column "screws tend to break when nails bend"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

The other advantage of screws is easy removal. Why are you removing your house frame?