Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/Zakaria7Kawa/status/1266220464034082816

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I'm pretty sure Scotland is doing worse than England re: roni in a lot of areas too

But that doesn't matter coz our fake prime minister is much more ministerial than the real one in her youtube updates watched by nobody

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Loathe as I am to suggest the SNP are not terrible, but that might be due to similar reasons why the north of england is doing badly, which is systemic underfunding.

MagicalCarp
Jan 19, 2008

A Well Respected Fish

https://twitter.com/natalieben/status/1266695123875831813?s=19

Shockingly it looks like contact tracing is hosed!

Turns out someone I used to work with has just started as a contact tracer. Her response when I posted this was "It's all brand new! Everyone is learning!" So far she's had 2 days training and had been waiting 4 days to start making calls.

Edit: poo poo I don't know how to embed tweets :doh: Thanks for the heads up!

MagicalCarp fucked around with this message at 13:10 on May 30, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Select the tweet and paste the URL link to it. You've got the link to the guardian article there.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The contact tracing system is run by loving Serco. Of course it's crap.

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another

Guavanaut posted:

What's the intended point of this?

So being cynical UK Gov has already indicated that they have no intention of bailing out English Universities, so in restricting where English students can go, the effect would be to keep more the English students in England. This then provides a level of support for those English Unis at no expense to UK gov and also screws over Scotland and Wales who rely on English students and whose Gov's will then likely be forced to either bail their Uni's out or let them fall.

Basically its a low key form of economic war on the devolved countries.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
it's ok, it's not like we actually need the contact tracing to ensure there's not an immediate spike in infections or anything

England 'risks Covid-19 surge' without test-and-trace safety net

quote:

The government is facing increasing pressure from its scientific advisers over the decision to ease England’s lockdown.

Prof Peter Horby has become the latest adviser to express his concerns, saying on Saturday that while thousands of people a day are still becoming infected with coronavirus, lockdown measures may be being eased too soon.

Horby, of the University of Oxford, joined Sir Jeremy Farrar and Prof John Edmunds, all members of the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage), in warning that ministers were taking risks.

Boris Johnson has announced a gradual easing of the lockdown in England from Monday, when friends and relatives will be able to meet in parks and gardens in socially distanced groups of six.

“Happy Monday” will also signal the reopening of schools – allowing children in nurseries, early-years settings, reception, year 1 and year 6 to return to class – as well as more shops, with outdoor retail and car showrooms able to resume operations.

Horby told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme: “You know, we have still got 8,000 cases a day. We have been very successful in bringing it down, decreasing the numbers because of the social distancing.”

But he said it was vital “we don’t lose control again”.

He highlighted the scientific advisers’ advice regarding the NHS test and trace system, which is being rolled out across England with the help of 25,000 contact tracers.

“Sage has always been very clear that that needs to be in place and fully operational before social distancing can be safely relaxed.

“We are not entirely sure what the effect of relaxing the social measures will be, and so we need to have that safety net of the test, trace and isolate system. And, as we know, it’s not yet fully operational, so I think that is where the risk lies.

bets that they carry on full steam ahead but also still the gall to say they're "following the science"?

also, the "happy Monday" framing is pretty loving disgusting seeing as they're forcing a lot of people to do things they don't want to do and are going to cause a second wave in the process

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

XMNN posted:

it's ok, it's not like we actually need the contact tracing to ensure there's not an immediate spike in infections or anything

England 'risks Covid-19 surge' without test-and-trace safety net

bets that they carry on full steam ahead but also still have the gall to say they're "following the science"?

also, the "happy Monday" framing is pretty loving disgusting seeing as they're forcing a lot of people to do things they don't want to do and are going to cause a second wave in the process

e: but hey I'm legally able to have a barbecue in the middle of a pandemic, Chris whitty says it will be ok if we just wipe everything down thoroughly as we go which everyone will definitely be doing religiously

hmmm quote is not the same as edit apparently?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/PTaylorheather/status/1266513325514514437
Random upsetting thing of the day, in this memorial the government has planned the healthcare worker is wearing far more PPE than we are actually given. Rewriting history while it's still taking place.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
are they going to put dulce et decorum est on the plinth?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
It was just the other day that William was talking about how being called heroes isn't good for NHS workers' mental health

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jabby posted:

Random upsetting thing of the day, in this memorial the government has planned the healthcare worker is wearing far more PPE than we are actually given. Rewriting history while it's still taking place.
Literally anything except a pay rise at this point.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

The tories are quite happy to hand out the contact tracing to a shite outsourcing company because they hope it’ll reinforce the idea that the state can’t do anything

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

jabby posted:

They’re actual key workers frozen in that gold stuff they put Han Solo in btw

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Underpaid and under-resourced staff killed by government incompetence HEROS WHO DIED IN LINE OF DUTY

Greblin
Mar 12, 2008

jabby posted:

Terry Pratchett posted:

Vetinari: "'You know, it has often crossed my mind that those men deserve a proper memorial of some sort."
Vimes: "Oh yes? In one of the main squares, perhaps?"
Vetinari: "Yes, that would be a good idea."
Vimes: "Perhaps a tableau in bronze? All seven of them raising the flag, perhaps?"
Vetinari: "Bronze, yes."
Vimes: "Really? And some sort of inspiring slogan?"
Vetinari: "Yes, indeed. Something like, perhaps, 'They Did The Job They Had To Do'?"
Vimes: "No. How dare you? How dare you! At this time! In this place! They did the job they didn't have to do, and they died doing it, and you can't give them anything. Do you understand? They fought for those who'd been abandoned, they fought for one another, and they were betrayed. Men like them always are. What good would a statue be? It'd just inspire new fools to believe they're going to be heroes. They wouldn't want that. Just let them be. For ever."

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/neIIychillin/st...ingawful.com%2F

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Jel Shaker posted:

The tories are quite happy to hand out the contact tracing to a shite outsourcing company because they hope it’ll reinforce the idea that the state can’t do anything

When the dust settles on all of this, privatisation of the NHS is going to be seen as the reason for the majority of the problems, if it isn't already obvious. Underfunding, yes, but when the underfunding is being done as part of ideological starve-the-beast to drive privatisation that's effectively the same thing.

Like the PPE. There was a moment when Matt Hancock was being interviewed about how it was we managed to gently caress up what seems like a pretty basic logistical task, to get stockpiled PPE to the NHS front line, and he's sitting there with a blank look on his face, and it's because of the Tories *doing what they do*, he actually has no idea what's going on.

There's a good campaign here, and a pretty damning report on this here, which I encourage you all to read, even if you already know about NHS privatisation because it's eyeopening. It's not that we've outsourced a bunch of stuff to the private sector, we've also outsourced the outsourcing, with private companies taking over the role of provisioning and taking the actual decision making out of the government's hands.

And we're not talking companies with a good track record of competence either, it's management firms, accountancy firms, and to nobody's surprise Tory Donors.

It's being done to carve up the NHS into saleable chunks, and despite promises at the election that they're not going to put the NHS on the table in international negotiations, the US trade negotiation is now on its third reading and nowhere in it is any kind of language to ring-fence off the NHS and explicitly protect it from being included. There is very little time left to stop this from happening

TL:DR; the NHS isn't on the table it's on several tables after being broken up for privatisation and broken things, shockingly, don't work the way they're meant to

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Of course SAGE are going to chuck the government under the bus, all of the updates to date have included the line “we’ve been guided by science”. So to avoid any comeuppance on them, they’re signalling that it’s a political decision.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

jabby posted:

Remember, save lives by washing your hands for as long as it takes to recite "Dulce Et Decorum Est Pro Patria Mori"

Edit: poo poo, beaten

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

GNU i guess :(

I'll have to remember to crosspost that to facebook at some point.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Isomermaid posted:

There's a good campaign here, and a pretty damning report on this here, which I encourage you all to read, even if you already know about NHS privatisation because it's eyeopening.

I indirectly used to work for Clipper Logistics, I'm glad I no longer do.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mostly know clipper as the company who delivered the cigarettes at work a while back.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/ImReadinHere/status/1266699812638019585?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Who'dathunk captain CPS loves putting people in prison.

Wonder what he thinks about cops underlying heart conditions killing people adjacent to the police.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2010/jul/22/cps-statement-death-ian-tomlinson

quote:

Keir Starmer QC, the Director of Public Prosecutions, announced today that no charges will be brought in relation to the death of Ian Tomlinson at the 'G20 protests' in London on 1 April 2009.

Oh yeah.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 30, 2020

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

Wonder what he thinks about cops underlying heart conditions killing people adjacent to the police.

Oh yeah.

ffs

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I'll always remember the bloke who died in prison awaiting sentence for the crime of stealing a gingerbread man during the London riots in 2011

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

quote:

Britain's most senior prosecutor has questioned whether heavy sentences given to last summer's rioters worked as an effective deterrence, challenging the received wisdom from senior judges and politicians.

Keir Starmer QC, the director of public prosecutions, said the speed with which rioters and looters were brought before the courts was far more powerful in preventing reoffending than the severity of sentences.

Senior figures ranging from court of appeal judges to David Cameron have strongly endorsed the tough message conveyed by handing down significantly longer sentences to rioters than they would have received for similar offences committed at other times.

He's not wrong there, making sentences longer does little to reduce crime levels, guaranteeing that people get caught and given the right to a speedy trial (i.e. not kept on remand or bail for ages) do far more to deter crime, along with adjusting fines to personal wealth so that the rich don't just see them as an entry fee to being a dickhead. This went against Cameron's idea that the riots were just pure criminality, and the bullshit that sentences should be longer just because they made London look bad they are the bad thugs tough on crime!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also worth noting he still refused to prosecute the cop after the coroner who examined tomlinson was suspended for misconduct. Took a formal inquest to rule the killing unlawful before he would press charges. The refusal to press charges was criticized by noted left wing radical *checks notes* attorney general dominic grieve.

So round the paups up and shove them in jail as soon as possible but let's not suggest the cops aren't are heroes until a judge literally forces him to.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-10728685

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 30, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah I'm sure me and him would disagree on a lot of things around the utility of police and prisons, but in that piece he's not debating with anarchists about whether prisons work at all, he's countering the fash rags going full boiled ham Hang Those Who Burn The Chippy as to whether long sentences work (they don't).

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lmao i got reported for uspol stuff itt. not outing who did it but just lol

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Town was heaving today.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Oh yeah.

Having never read the details of the case post medical-school, this was actually really interesting. The original pathologist really was a gently caress-up. If he had taken the proper samples or even proof-read his notes correctly the disagreement over cause of death may never have happened.

Even giving the benefit of the doubt over cause of death though, the decision not to charge the officer with assault causing actual bodily harm was indefensible. He was hit and pushed, and he had bruises. That's harm and no-one who isn't a cop would have avoided charges. Would have had a lot better chance of succeeding than the later manslaughter charge too.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Jose posted:

lmao i got reported for uspol stuff itt. not outing who did it but just lol

what was the post

jabby posted:

Having never read the details of the case post medical-school, this was actually really interesting. The original pathologist really was a gently caress-up. If he had taken the proper samples or even proof-read his notes correctly the disagreement over cause of death may never have happened.

Even giving the benefit of the doubt over cause of death though, the decision not to charge the officer with assault causing actual bodily harm was indefensible. He was hit and pushed, and he had bruises. That's harm and no-one who isn't a cop would have avoided charges. Would have had a lot better chance of succeeding than the later manslaughter charge too.

c'mon bud, you know full well that being able to do your job properly is a surefire way to never get an interview

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jabby posted:

It's definitely interesting that the Keir's "certainty of action is more a deterrent than severity of sentencing" didn't apply there to go for the lesser charge. Very interesting.

e:

quote:

If, as we have concluded, the prosecution cannot prove a causal link between the push and Mr Tomlinson's death because of the conflict in the medical evidence, it follows that actual bodily harm cannot be proved either.
What, no it doesn't. :psyduck:

If doctor A concludes that the bruising from the baton and the fall could not have caused the death, and doctor B concludes that via a series of intermediate steps it could, there is still agreement that ABH was sustained from the baton and the fall, even if there's no consensus on the cause of death.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 30, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Spangly A posted:

what was the post

c'mon bud, you know full well that being able to do your job properly is a surefire way to never get an interview

It was the tweet of the guy at a protest giving a cop poo poo lol

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Jel Shaker posted:

I don't understand how that benefits....anyone, even themselves. Why would they destroy their own authority?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"The state can't do anything, vote for us and we'll prove it." Has been a liberal and neoliberal mantra for a few hundred years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Bloodly posted:

I don't understand how that benefits....anyone, even themselves. Why would they destroy their own authority?

they're small-state conservatives, who want all the state's responsibilities handled by private companies instead

oh they also have business and financial interests in those shadow-state companies???