Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Liftoff scheduled for 1522 EDT, TV coverage starting at 1100 EDT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Are those “child riot cops” not just short female guardsmen?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Using kids as human shields and gambling on protesters not wanting to hurt them seems like a bad game.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/jackmirkinson/s...ingawful.com%2F

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Jesus gently caress, for a thread that's repeatedly talked about right wing extremists eager to start the electric boogaloo, suddenly the idea is preposterous? I was seeing tweets all loving night from Twin Cities protestors that mysterious masked white folk were on an arson spree well away from the protest, targeting residences along with small, community-owned businesses especially in majority-minority areas.

Is it really that hard to believe the baddies are exploiting the situation to their own ends?

Edit:
https://twitter.com/kar_nels/status/1266724690476892160?s=19

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 30, 2020

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Midjack posted:

Using kids as human shields and gambling on protesters not wanting to hurt them seems like a bad game.

Not if your desire to win the Wingnut Welfare Lottery exceeds your love for your kids?

:shrug:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Ah yes, because cops emerge from the womb fully formed as a PoC (Person of Cophood)

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Report from Atlanta suburbs. My mom has shifted to fash over night, making me believe there was something to Nixon getting elected because a bunch of scarred white people just wanted the violence to stop and everything going back to a "polite" society.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Defenestrategy posted:

Report from Atlanta suburbs. My mom has shifted to fash over night, making me believe there was something to Nixon getting elected because a bunch of scarred white people just wanted the violence to stop and everything going back to a "polite" society.

:sever:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wow, de Blasio going full mask off. The entire problem is that the problem departments are not serving their communities in these major cities, they're people that live in the exurbs that believe they are an occupying army and need to use fear to maintain order. NYPD is probably one of the worst offenders here, but they probably can't be overwhelmed by numbers because its one unified department instead of the twin cities area where all the neighboring departments are saying "fix your own mess" so they can actually easily be overrun.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Yeah it would really suck if cops had their humanity taken away. I hope these protests are sensitive to that.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

hobbesmaster posted:

The entire problem is that the problem departments are not serving their communities in these major cities, they're people that live in the exurbs that believe they are an occupying army and need to use fear to maintain order.

We used to have a thing in Wisconsin where public servants had to live where they work (loving Walker killed it) but it probably didn't really accomplish much: it just led to neighborhoods like Mustache Heights (literally West Allis New Berlin West Allis within MKE city limits).

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Trumps literal father literally teamed up with the NYPD to kick in the heads of :jewish: protesters against the loving German-American Bund (literally American Nazis back in the 1930s) convention.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Schadenboner posted:

Not if your desire to win the Wingnut Welfare Lottery exceeds your love for your kids?

:shrug:

What part of quiverful don't they understand

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

We used to have a thing in Wisconsin where public servants had to live where they work (loving Walker killed it) but it probably didn't really accomplish much: it just led to neighborhoods like Mustache Heights (literally West Allis New Berlin West Allis within MKE city limits).

It might help a bit with Minneapolis - only 5% of the department lives in the city!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

“Please don’t storm our embassies guys”

https://mobile.twitter.com/ap_africa/status/1266752608787673088

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Midjack posted:

Real talk- I will Spartan Kick a child if it keeps them from enlisting.

If someone hosed with just one of those kids, the others would break and run. They shouldn't be there.

People should start using public records and block police from returning to their homes. Just human chain around that poo poo.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Defenestrategy posted:

White folks in the Atlanta suburbs are the most racist people in the deep south by a country mile and it's not even close

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
North Mississippi, in my experience. It's just so up front and casual there.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.

Milo and POTUS posted:

White folks in the Atlanta suburbs are the most racist people in the deep south by a country mile and it's not even close

Is Fort Benning the least racist place in Georgia? Seriously in all my time in the Army I only heard one guy spouting anti black racist nonsense. Lots of racism towards haji though. How did the Army overcome most of it's racial problems while the police keep loving it up over and over again? Is it because to a police officer, every minority is haji?

Integration is good, but I think the police needs to bring back the Soul Patrol.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/ScottMStedman/status/1266602469175390208?s=20

Not like anything matters in this administration when it is just Calvinball for whatever swiss cheese synapse fire in DJT's head

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Schadenboner posted:

Trumps literal father literally teamed up with the NYPD to kick in the heads of :jewish: protesters against the loving German-American Bund (literally American Nazis back in the 1930s) convention.

I'd love to see a good link on this, if you have one. It would come in handy.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/05/29/how-western-media-would-cover-minneapolis-if-it-happened-another-country/

quote:

If we talked about what is happening in Minneapolis the same way we talk about events in a foreign country, here’s how the Western media would cover it. The quotes and those “quoted” in the piece below are fictional.

In recent years, the international community has sounded the alarm on the deteriorating political and human rights situation in the United States under the regime of Donald Trump. Now, as the country marks 100,000 deaths from the coronavirus pandemic, the former British colony finds itself in a downward spiral of ethnic violence. The fatigue and paralysis of the international community are evident in its silence, America experts say.

The country has been rocked by several viral videos depicting extrajudicial executions of black ethnic minorities by state security forces. Uprisings erupted in the northern city of Minneapolis after a video circulated online of the killing of a black man, George Floyd, after being attacked by a security force agent. Trump took to Twitter, calling black protesters “THUGS”’ and threatening to send in military force. “When the looting starts, the shooting starts!” he declared.

“Sure, we get it that black people are angry about decades of abuse and impunity,” said G. Scott Fitz, a Minnesotan and member of the white ethnic majority. “But going after a Target crosses the line. Can’t they find a more peaceful way, like kneeling in silence?”

Ethnic violence has plagued the country for generations, and decades ago it captured the attention of the world, but recently the news coverage and concern are waning as there seems to be no end in sight to the oppression. “These are ancient, inexplicable hatreds fueling these ethnic conflicts and inequality," said Andreja Dulic, a foreign correspondent whose knowledge of American English consists of a semester course in college and the occasional session on the Duolingo app. When told the United States is only several hundred years old, he shrugged and said, “In my country, we have structures still from the Roman empire. In their culture, Americans think that a 150-year-old building is ancient history.”

Britain usually takes an acute interest in the affairs of its former colony, but it has also been affected by the novel coronavirus. “We’ve seen some setbacks with the virus, but some Brits see the rising disease, staggering unemployment and violence in the States and feel as if America was never ready to govern itself properly, that it would resort to tribal politics,” said Andrew Darcy Morthington, a London-based America expert. During the interview, a news alert informed that out of the nearly 40,000 coronavirus deaths in the United Kingdom, 61 percent of the health-care workers who have died were black and or have Middle Eastern backgrounds. Morthington didn’t seem to notice. “Like I was saying, we don’t have those American racism issues here.”

Trump, a former reality-TV host, beauty pageant organizer and businessman, once called African nations “shithole countries." But he is now taking a page from African dictators who spread bogus health remedies, like Yahya Jammeh of Gambia, who claimed he could cure AIDS with bananas and herbal potions and pushed his treatments onto the population, resulting in deaths. Trump appeared to suggest injecting bleach and using sunlight to kill the coronavirus. He has also said he has taken hydroxycholoroquine, a drug derived from quinine, a long-known jungle remedy for malaria. Doctors have advised against using the treatment to prevent or treat the coronavirus.

Meanwhile, Americans desperate to flee will face steep challenges to cross borders, as mismanagement of the coronavirus and ethnic tensions in the country have made them undesirable visitors. But some struggling American retailers, like Neiman Marcus, are hoping to lure shoppers with traditional 19th-century colonial travel fantasies through neutral khakis and cargo shorts as part of a “Modern Safari” collection. “Utilitarian details & muted tones meet classic femininity,” reads a caption under the photograph of a white woman. Pith helmets were not included in the accessory lineup.

Some nations are considering offering black Americans special asylum. “Members of the white ethnic majority are forming armed militia groups, demanding their freedom to go back to work for the wealthy class who refer to workers as ‘human capital stock,’ despite the huge risk to workers,” said Mustapha Okango, a Nairobi-based anthropologist. “This is a throwback to the days when slavery was the backbone of the American economy. Black slaves were the original essential workers, and they were treated as non-human stock.”

Africa could be an ideal asylum destination, as several African countries have managed to contain the coronavirus outbreak through aggressive early measures and innovations in testing kits. Senegal, a nation of 16 million, has only seen 41 deaths. “Everyone predicted Africa would fall into chaos,” Okango said. “It is proof that being a black person in this world doesn’t kill you, but being a black person in America clearly can.” The African Union did not respond to requests for comment, but it released a statement that said “we believe in American solutions for American problems.”

Around the world, grass-roots organizations, celebrities, human rights activists and even students are doing what they can to raise money and awareness about the dire situation in America.

“It’s sad that the Americans don’t have a government that can get them coronavirus tests or even monthly checks to be able to feed their families,” said Charlotte Johnson, a 18-year-old Liberian student activist, who survived the Ebola pandemic. “100,000 people are dead, cities are burning, and the country hasn’t had a day of mourning? Lives don’t matter, especially not black lives. It’s like they’re living in a failing state.”

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I'd love to see a good link on this, if you have one. It would come in handy.

It's bullshit. Fred's only notable interaction with the NYPD was being arrested as part of a Klan rally in which he vilified the NYPD as being a force full of catholic immigrants from undesirable countries. After that, he tried to hide any German affiliation by claiming Swedish or Swiss citizenship through the 30s and 40s. There are no surviving reliable records of any affiliation between the GA Bund and the trump family.

Link for the 20s
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/02/28/in-1927-donald-trumps-father-was-arrested-after-a-klan-riot-in-queens/

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

EBB posted:

june thread title

:hai:, I don't see any other choice.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

:drat:

not all Karens

e: current event: wondering if i heard this happen
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1266688840682672129

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 30, 2020

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Friendly reminder that the people are the city, not the stuff.

https://twitter.com/mollyhc/status/1266779348306198531?s=19

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/ScottMStedman/status/1266602469175390208?s=20

Not like anything matters in this administration when it is just Calvinball for whatever swiss cheese synapse fire in DJT's head

Why would you believe anything the White House says?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Some rear end in a top hat drove into a crowd at a Tallahassee protest today. The driver was arrested by police (most likely saving his life). His truck was left behind which has been hosed up by the protesters. At least two major intersections and thoroughfares in town have been shut down for periods of time today.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/JoyceWhiteVance...genumber%3D1136

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ask not what maga can do for you

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1266581519323336709?s=19

Kavanaugh's dissent is pure garbage

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Kavanaugh is pure garbage

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Just start calling him Justice Dudebro.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Just start calling him Justice Dudebro.

Or Justice Rapist

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Wow, looks like Gov Walz was a 24-year national guardsman who retired early to skip out on his unit's Iraq deployment
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Walz#Early_life,_education_and_military_career

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Immanentized posted:

It's bullshit. Fred's only notable interaction with the NYPD was being arrested as part of a Klan rally in which he vilified the NYPD as being a force full of catholic immigrants from undesirable countries. After that, he tried to hide any German affiliation by claiming Swedish or Swiss citizenship through the 30s and 40s. There are no surviving reliable records of any affiliation between the GA Bund and the trump family.

Link for the 20s
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/02/28/in-1927-donald-trumps-father-was-arrested-after-a-klan-riot-in-queens/

But they used the word 'literally' three times! It's got to be true!
That or Watchmen fanfic.

Crazy Mike posted:

How did the Army overcome most of it's racial problems while the police keep loving it up over and over again?

It was neither fast nor easy.
Some differences between the military and the police:
1) Racial problems were affecting the ability of the military to do its job, so there was a need and impetus to change. Racism was a detriment to the mission, not a perk.
2) The military had an organization and hierarchy to make things happen top to bottom. Gonnebo P.D. sort of answers to the mayor or town council, and that's it. There is no higher authority to direct action to make things better.
3) A vigorous formal internal discipline system (see (1) and (2)) and less transparency to the civilian world.
On the informal side, many flag level commands had and used their own integrated patrols/reaction forces of big-rear end pipe-swingers for quelling incipient and active racial violence.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 30, 2020

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Or Justice Rapist

Doesn’t Thomas lay claim to that one?

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Suicide Watch posted:

Wow, looks like Gov Walz was a 24-year national guardsman who retired early to skip out on his unit's Iraq deployment
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Walz#Early_life,_education_and_military_career

Awards

Army Commendation Medal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Crazy Mike posted:

Is Fort Benning the least racist place in Georgia? Seriously in all my time in the Army I only heard one guy spouting anti black racist nonsense. Lots of racism towards haji though. How did the Army overcome most of it's racial problems while the police keep loving it up over and over again? Is it because to a police officer, every minority is haji?

essentially. one of the primary jobs of modern police is projecting a country's racial hierarchy's into space, by teaching people to stay in "their" neighborhoods, and making sure some neighborhoods stay shittier than others. armed forces for imperial powers do the same thing but at the level of countries, so there's no need to re-use or reinforce the racial categories of the homeland.