Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Shibawanko posted:

i think to do the game justice the engine should be able to do things like squash enemies between doors, like you could do in duke3d, and have them form a nice sticky string of guts when you open the door again. one of the problems of dnforever was that it was a generic ragdoll shooter, ragdolling sucks and enemies should explode when you kill them. it should do this while still being comical though and id rather not see the killable strippers from the original game again. i also think they should make duke bi because that would suit him

I can get behind all this but I don't think George Broussard can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sid Vicious posted:

Warriors Orochi 3

Yeah but you can only get Warriors Orochi 4 on switch :( its fine its nearly as good

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MrQwerty posted:

so basically Red Faction + SoF but with Duke Nukem talking poo poo the entire time

I would play the gently caress out of that

Hideo Kojima presents
Duke Nukem Forever and Again

I would pay 39,90€ for it!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

I can get behind all this but I don't think George Broussard can

IS he a homophobe? I just dont know anything aobut him and googling him just turns up images of the Simpson's Comic Book Guy.

Duke should definitely be bi or pansexual or something. Nothing more over-the-top-masculine than an indiscriminate sexual appetite.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Khanstant posted:

IS he a homophobe? I just dont know anything aobut him and googling him just turns up images of the Simpson's Comic Book Guy.

Duke should definitely be bi or pansexual or something. Nothing more over-the-top-masculine than an indiscriminate sexual appetite.

That was even implied in one of the old games, with Duke at a BDSM club where the dominatrix looked a lot like a female Duke and he seemed into it.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Far Cry 5 interrupting my fun every 10 minutes with a goddamn drug bullet and escape mission is the hardest I have ever been owned in my video game career and I salute the sick bastards who did this. It's beautiful.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Not my video, but I am posting because I agree:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNP8stQmYAQ&t=347s

Uncharted 4 > pretty much any other game in this current generation.

Alan 00X
Dec 15, 2017
Paper Mario 64 is better than TTYD

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Waltzing Along posted:

Not my video, but I am posting because I agree:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNP8stQmYAQ&t=347s

Uncharted 4 > pretty much any other game in this current generation.

the production quality on those vids is sort of ridiculous.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

sebmojo posted:

the production quality on those vids is sort of ridiculous.

Some people are really good at video editing. And that couple had a real good idea and have run with it.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Whoever thought the "hold button for two seconds to open the door" was a good thing should get fired. Out of a cannon. Into the sun.

Like I get when it's used for stuff like selling items, to prevent you from accidently selling something you want to keep because you played a console before with "switch"ed "confirm/cancel" buttons. But using it for stuff that basically has zero negative consequences it's just awful.

It's one of the things I really disliked about Death Stranding, RDR2 etc.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

Alan 00X posted:

Paper Mario 64 is better than TTYD

Someone get this man a medal

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

not an opinion but a question, ive kinda gotten back into HZD a fair amount now, just eradicated the bandit raiders from the metal ring

the problem is there’s no like, story recap in the menus, just a lot of questions

so uh my two big ones right now are “whats the Allmother?” iirc it was some big fuckin mountain computer vault?. also, the people at the Proving that attacked - they were after Aloy specifically? obviously I’m not far enough in the story for answers or anything just trying to remember if the story beats are generally correct.

unpopular opinion: naming main characters semi pun things like “rost” and “aloy” is generally good but kinda clashes with the tone here

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Allmother is a pretty major part of the story. I’m not sure exactly where you are in the game, but “computer vault” is probably a good enough understanding of it for now. You’ll find out a lot more later.

It’s been a while but iirc the attackers weren’t there for Aloy. I forgot exactly why they attacked. Someone else probably remembers better than I do.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

though commonly overshadowed by the latter, Beat 'Em and Eat 'Em is a much better game than Custer's Revenge

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

tuo posted:

Whoever thought the "hold button for two seconds to open the door" was a good thing should get fired. Out of a cannon. Into the sun.

Like I get when it's used for stuff like selling items, to prevent you from accidently selling something you want to keep because you played a console before with "switch"ed "confirm/cancel" buttons. But using it for stuff that basically has zero negative consequences it's just awful.

the various control schemes rdr2 uses for quicktime-ish events and interaction in missions is pretty funny. gotta hold down x for a second to open the door, gotta hammer the x button to futilely crawl towards a gun, gotta do a quarter circle forward while tapping x to milk the cow, don't forget to press down on the right stick to reach around and massage its prostate.

they came up with so many different ways of making you press a combination of buttons to resume action, and they all vaguely have some relation to the action you're doing if you squint, and you'll never quite be able to figure out which action they want you to do the first time you try it. is this one a tapping x or a holding x? doesn't really matter, might as well have been a cutscene.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

tuo posted:

Sleeping Dogs had a weird one- you had to hold a button to hail cabs and it was the same button as the one to hijack cars so if you released even a moment too early, instead of fast traveling you’d be hauling a confused cabby out of his car.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Sleeping Dogs had a weird one- you had to hold a button to hail cabs and it was the same button as the one to hijack cars so if you released even a moment too early, instead of fast traveling you’d be hauling a confused cabby out of his car.

In red dead 2, sprint to jump on horse, and beat the crap out of someone nearby are the same button.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I just don't understand what the reasoning behind it is if the result has no consequence. There has to be reasoning, else games wouldn't implement it...

I'd even drop it when selling stuff. Give me a "do you really want to..." dialog which I can button mash through in split seconds, if I gently caress up, it's my fault.

FF7R also implemented it on things I didn't understand why it's with this interaction, and not with others.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
It's always bad when video games make you slow down for now reason, like crawling under debris, sidling up against a wall to move through a crack, etc. Even worse if it's an area where you just stop running to walk really slowly so you can have a conversation with someone. FF7R is full of these and it's just terrible. Tomb Raider and Gears of War are also really bad about this.

I know they're often used to mask load times but honestly just show me a cutscene or have the character walk automatically or something so I don't have to hold forward on the analog stick.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SoR Blaze posted:

It's always bad when video games make you slow down for now reason, like crawling under debris, sidling up against a wall to move through a crack, etc. Even worse if it's an area where you just stop running to walk really slowly so you can have a conversation with someone. FF7R is full of these and it's just terrible. Tomb Raider and Gears of War are also really bad about this.

I know they're often used to mask load times but honestly just show me a cutscene or have the character walk automatically or something so I don't have to hold forward on the analog stick.

The arse oven section of Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of the Patriots was insanely bad because there was split-screen action happening but you were focused on Solid Snake's bum.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The arse oven section of Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of the Patriots was insanely bad because there was split-screen action happening but you were focused on Solid Snake's bum.

Yeah, the screen really should have been entirely Snake's rear end.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

SoR Blaze posted:

The "move through crack" or "lift door up a little, squeeze through, have it shut behind" at least most of the times has a reason to it: unloading the current level architecture, and load in the next one (because you can't see either of them while the animation plays, so you don't notice it...basically a load screen). It's tedious, but has a reason behind it beeing engine/hardware limits.

But especially in FF7R I can look into the area I have to hold a button to enter, and even rotate the camera while the animation is playing. It's just bad.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Shibawanko posted:

i think to do the game justice the engine should be able to do things like squash enemies between doors, like you could do in duke3d, and have them form a nice sticky string of guts when you open the door again. one of the problems of dnforever was that it was a generic ragdoll shooter, ragdolling sucks and enemies should explode when you kill them. it should do this while still being comical though and id rather not see the killable strippers from the original game again. i also think they should make duke bi because that would suit him

it should be a time travelling story, where duke goes from the 1980's to the far off decade of 2020. he tries to acts his usual self but quickly finds out that puts him in hot water, and that he's a relic of the past. the rest of the game is him trying deal with finding his place in this new world.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

tuo posted:

Don't play FF7R then. It's utter garbage start to finish. The amount of stupid poo poo like this packed into the game is unreal.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

tuo posted:

The "move through crack" or "lift door up a little, squeeze through, have it shut behind" at least most of the times has a reason to it: unloading the current level architecture, and load in the next one (because you can't see either of them while the animation plays, so you don't notice it...basically a load screen). It's tedious, but has a reason behind it beeing engine/hardware limits.

I mentioned that in the second paragraph of my post. It's still stupid and tedious and it would be preferable to just play a short cutscene or have the game do the movement for you.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Popoto posted:

it should be a time travelling story, where duke goes from the 1980's to the far off decade of 2020. he tries to acts his usual self but quickly finds out that puts him in hot water, and that he's a relic of the past. the rest of the game is him trying deal with finding his place in this new world.

"hehe... what a mess"

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Duke decides to move to Portland because strip clubs.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Duke gets called a Nazi on Twitter, two-finger peck types COME GET SOME as a reply

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 31, 2020

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

duke nukem killed cops in the original game

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
the cops are literal pigmen monsters

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.

veni veni veni posted:

In red dead 2, sprint to jump on horse, and beat the crap out of someone nearby are the same button.

What? Run with A, mount horse with Y, beat up townsfolk with B. How are they the same button? I've never once accidentally started a fight trying to get on a horse over three seperate playthroughs.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

There’s another prompt that specially involved running up to a horse and jumping on it. Like ten times throughout the game I was running to my horse just to have Arthur automatically target a nearby civilian to punch them in the face. It’s been a while so I don’t remember the exact control prompts but I’m sure someone who has played it more recently might know what I’m talking about. Many people have brought it up before.

The game has a bunch of redundant controls and prompts that do multiple things.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
:psyduck: Every thing I hear about the controls for post GTA San Andreas Rockstar games sounds like it's too stupid to be true

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Rutibex posted:

the cops are literal pigmen monsters

Yes, but what about in Duke Nukem?

Sunswipe fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jun 1, 2020

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Chuckling to myself imagining Duke 5 ending with Duke burning the American flag.

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.

veni veni veni posted:

There’s another prompt that specially involved running up to a horse and jumping on it. Like ten times throughout the game I was running to my horse just to have Arthur automatically target a nearby civilian to punch them in the face. It’s been a while so I don’t remember the exact control prompts but I’m sure someone who has played it more recently might know what I’m talking about. Many people have brought it up before.

The game has a bunch of redundant controls and prompts that do multiple things.

I'm literally playing it right now. That's what the buttons are. Everybody harps on RDR2 having lovely controls, but they're perfectly functional.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

well why not posted:

Chuckling to myself imagining Duke 5 ending with Duke burning the American flag.

Hard to light it when the game has a piss on object function though :thunk:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Hard to light it when the game has a piss on object function though :thunk:

Duke has to register as a sex offender for pissing in public

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Rockstar has never once made a game with good controls. Midnight Club was probably closest to being decent.